GERN Industries Gibson Works...

Discuss commercial structures - from a mom and pop single store to a huge industry - either model or prototype

Moderator: Brakie

GERN Industries Gibson Works...

Postby doctorwayne » Dec 20th, '08, 03:14

GERN Industries Gibson Works, in Port Maitland, Ontario is the world headquarters of GERN Industries, well know for their famous GERN-Brand Flux and other fine Flux Products.

Here are some views of the plant (aerial photos courtesy of Secord Air Services) -

Here's the plant as approached from the east - the low structure in the left foreground is from where bagged and boxed products are shipped, and company supplies are received. Immediately beyond that is the main plant, with the railway storage silos centre-frame. The flux ore is mined from under Lake Erie, with current operations extending almost two miles offshore. That's an inlet of the lake at far lower-left:

More re-sized GERN foe-toes 005.jpg
More re-sized GERN foe-toes 005.jpg (101.38 KiB) Viewed 2318 times

Here's a closer view, which gives the viewer an idea of the plant layout, including the oddly truncated shapes of the component structures. The smaller building, centre, with the world-famous "If It's GERN, It's Good" slogan, is the original plant:

More re-sized GERN foe-toes 007.jpg
More re-sized GERN foe-toes 007.jpg (77.7 KiB) Viewed 2318 times

A look at the original plant, which still loads both boxcars and hoppers when necessary. Part of the floor area has been re-worked to accommodate some of the processing equipment for liquid products, with the storage tanks to the right of the photo:

More re-sized GERN foe-toes 003.jpg
More re-sized GERN foe-toes 003.jpg (142.37 KiB) Viewed 2318 times

And a few closer views of the tankcar loading area:

Re-sized GERN foe-toes 010.jpg
Re-sized GERN foe-toes 010.jpg (123.12 KiB) Viewed 2318 times

Re-sized GERN foe-toes 009.jpg
Re-sized GERN foe-toes 009.jpg (108.12 KiB) Viewed 2318 times

Underground drainage pipes ensure that any spills or leakage is carried away safely to nearby Lake Erie:

Re-sized GERN foe-toes 008.jpg
Re-sized GERN foe-toes 008.jpg (104.08 KiB) Viewed 2318 times

The most distant part of the complex, with the rooftop water tower and adjacent storage silos, obscures the view of the Lake Erie dock facilities.

More re-sized GERN foe-toes 002.jpg
More re-sized GERN foe-toes 002.jpg (139.92 KiB) Viewed 2318 times

Even though GERN is the Erie Northshore's largest customer (by tonnage), a full 80% of production travels by lake boats to far-flung customers.
Here, a leased CNR loco switches the silo track - with restricted overhead clearance, (no locos allowed) an idler flat is often needed to reach the cars:

Re-sized GERN foe-toes 015.jpg
Re-sized GERN foe-toes 015.jpg (120.84 KiB) Viewed 2318 times

Re-sized GERN foe-toes 016.jpg
Re-sized GERN foe-toes 016.jpg (110.78 KiB) Viewed 2318 times

Here we see Grand Valley Mogul 34 spotting some new milling equipment - the doorway to the mill can be seen in the first and second photos:

Re-sized GERN foe-toes 014.jpg
Re-sized GERN foe-toes 014.jpg (129.92 KiB) Viewed 2318 times

And finally, a couple of views from the west end of the complex:

Re-sized GERN foe-toes 017.jpg
Re-sized GERN foe-toes 017.jpg (125.51 KiB) Viewed 2318 times

Re-sized GERN foe-toes 020.jpg
Re-sized GERN foe-toes 020.jpg (99.64 KiB) Viewed 2318 times

Let's take a look at some GERN rolling stock.
Much of the plant's output is shipped in 100 lb. bags (which, because of technical advances from the GERN Laboratories, weigh only 75lbs), and can travel in ordinary boxcars, like this SOO Line car shown here:

Re-sized GERN foe-toes 001.jpg
Re-sized GERN foe-toes 001.jpg (120.61 KiB) Viewed 2318 times

Bulk shipments of GERN products are becoming more and more popular with many larger customers nowadays, pioneered by these cars, which are are product of the fertile minds at the GERN Research & Development Division, working in conjunction with the Carshops of the Elora Gorge & Eastern Railroad.

Foe-toes from Train Photos 2007 (third cd) 309.jpg
Foe-toes from Train Photos 2007 (third cd) 309.jpg (105.83 KiB) Viewed 2318 times

Basically a boxcar, the doors have been fitted with GERN Flux-o-Seals (patents pending) to prevent both leakage of the cargo and moisture incursion. Both powdered and granular flux is loaded via roof hatches and, at the Customer's receiving area, the cargo is quickly dumped from the four longitudinal underfloor hoppers. In addition, the car can be easily converted to bagged flux service with the simple installation of GERN's patented Converto-Panels, which provide a smooth, flat floor atop those hopper bays.

Another innovation from GERN is the covered hopper, specifically designed for bulk lading only. These GERN cars were built, under licence, by Pullman Standard:

fresh foe-toes 059.jpg
fresh foe-toes 059.jpg (113.21 KiB) Viewed 2318 times

Another GERN licensee, ACF, built these EG&E cars, used in both general service and flux service:

fresh foe-toes 053.jpg
fresh foe-toes 053.jpg (103.62 KiB) Viewed 2318 times

In addition to the large quantities of dry flux products, the Gibson Works also produces several liquid varieties of product, among them Liquiflux, used in pharmaceuticals and many food-related applications:

fresh foe-toes 046.jpg
fresh foe-toes 046.jpg (139.62 KiB) Viewed 2318 times

Anhydrous Flux, once considered a waste by-product of the sludge-making process, has become an important additive in the paper-making process, and is finding an ever expanding market in a number of other fields:

fresh foe-toes 045.jpg
fresh foe-toes 045.jpg (144.18 KiB) Viewed 2318 times

Flux Sludge is an integral component in almost all manufactured food products, enhancing flavour, prolonging shelf-life, and making food look at least 3% better than it otherwise would. It's also widely used in the hide tanning and brick-making industries:

fresh foe-toes 047.jpg
fresh foe-toes 047.jpg (134.83 KiB) Viewed 2318 times

Fluxene Peroxide is an enhanced by-product of the flux milling process, removed from the flux ore before final milling. This material travels in shortened tankcars, like the one shown below, due to its extreme density, which is attributable to it being the "removed component" which leaves that 100lb. bag of flux "as light as a feather". This is the proverbial "ten pounds of flux in a five-pound bag" and a little of it goes a long way in it's many applications, which include glass-making, forestry, agriculture, zeppelin production, and explosives:

fresh foe-toes 048.jpg
fresh foe-toes 048.jpg (131.53 KiB) Viewed 2318 times

This car, with three separate compartments, is used to deliver various types of GERN liquid flux products for industrial useage:

Freight cars... 003 (Large).jpg
Freight cars... 003 (Large).jpg (111.95 KiB) Viewed 2318 times

Please feel free to post your own GERN photos and news here. Questions about GERN and about joining the GERN family are always welcomed, too.

Wayne
doctorwayne

Re: GERN Industries Gibson Works...

Postby ngauger » Dec 20th, '08, 09:34

Fantastic pics!! What a great way to start a GERN thread!!!!
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75
~~ Link To E-Mag Information

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
ngauger
Administrator

Postby jmarksbery » Dec 20th, '08, 11:26

Don't cha just luv it! :worship:
jmarksbery@aol.com

W.C. & T. RAILROAD
N-Scale
Owner:
Col. Jim Marksberry
jmarksbery
Conductor

Postby cnw1961 » Dec 20th, '08, 12:14

jmarksbery wrote:Don't cha just luv it! :worship:

I do, I do :D . This sight never ceases to amaze me :worship: :worship:
Kurt
cnw1961
Conductor

Postby Ralph » Dec 20th, '08, 12:40

Fantastic Wayne! Thanks for bringing a GERN thread here and for starting it off with such inspiring pics! Great stuff! To help demonstrate the diversity of the GERN line of products I'll present GERN's Cement Flux plant in the Upper Hudson Valley. GERN flux cures cement 3% harder and faster!

I still need to create some GERN lettered hoppers.

I'm looking forward to seeing other examples of GERN Industries across the world!
Ralph
Ralph

Postby doctorwayne » Dec 20th, '08, 14:24

Great-looking plant, Ralph, and an impressive size, too. Modellers with less real estate available on their layout shouldn't despair of having their own GERN facility, either. GERN is the "Superman" of layout industries, able to generate many carloads of product from even a telephone booth-sized building. A building flat against the backdrop will do just fine, as long as there's a suitable door with a siding. Even if you can't squeeze that into your layout, GERN could be in an unmodelled part of town. I have several industries in Dunnville that are either not represented on the layout or barely represented, with rail access being a pair of sidings under the staging yard. The Evell Casket Co. is one of these, represented by this partial structure in front of the backdrop. This end of the building is where the pencil pushers work - no siding or loading doors in sight.

Wayne
doctorwayne

Postby cnw1961 » Dec 21st, '08, 14:32

I found this article in The Miami Herald. Thought I’d post it in case you haven’t heard the news already.

Kurt
cnw1961
Conductor

Postby thumsup » Dec 21st, '08, 14:54

cnw1961 wrote:I found this article in The Miami Herald. Thought I’d post it in case you haven’t heard the news already.

:bounce1: Kurt, this is great new, thanks for the info. Now if we could get a Gern facility here on the west coast, Hummmm

Joe :tada:
thumsup
Brakeman

Postby doctorwayne » Dec 21st, '08, 16:32

Kurt: beauty, eh? :tada: :tada:

Joe, there are already several left coast facilities, with plenty of room for more.

Wayne
doctorwayne

Postby Trucklover » Dec 21st, '08, 17:30

Wayne, so glad to see a new GERN thread started here!! I love the pictures and they never get old!! Your GERN Complex is truly a work of BEAUTY!! :tada: :tada:

Ralph, your GERN Plant is looking SWEET too, i see you added some things since last saw it :tada: :goldth:
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Trucklover
Engineer

Postby LynnB » Dec 21st, '08, 17:38

Wow , very inspiring.
Lynn

New Adventure viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
LynnB
Conductor

Postby thumsup » Dec 21st, '08, 19:03

doctorwayne wrote:Kurt: beauty, eh? :tada: :tada:

Joe, there are already several left coast facilities, with plenty of room for more.

Wayne

Being I haven't laid any track yet, I'll have to carve out a little room for a modest Gern facility
here in So. Cal.

Joe :tada:
thumsup
Brakeman

Postby Steamtrains » Dec 21st, '08, 19:21

GERN never ceases to amaze me....!!! That by itself it'll boost S. Florida's economic activity by 3% is nearly miraculous....Particularly when most economic indicators project a shrinking of the overall economy next year.... :nope:

Perhaps this is the kind of industry folks in the New Mexico desert might try to bring a little (at least 3%) economic growth to the area.... :lolol:

Ralph...That is an impressive plant as well...!! :tada:
Gus (LC&P).
Steamtrains
Engineer

Postby Ralph » Dec 21st, '08, 19:24

That's great news Kurt! Looking forward to seeing what "Good" thing develops!
Ralph
Ralph

Postby cnw1961 » Dec 21st, '08, 19:30

Steamtrains wrote:GERN never ceases to amaze me....!!! That by itself it'll boost S. Florida's economic activity by 3% is nearly miraculous....Particularly when most economic indicators project a shrinking of the overall economy next year.... :nope:

Gus, never underestimate Flux :lolol: .
Kurt
cnw1961
Conductor

Next

Return to Industries Along The Rails