SP&S Shelf Layout - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: SP&S Shelf Layout (/showthread.php?tid=2883)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - mountaingoatgreg - 01-16-2011

I have lived in California and I have no need to go back and live there. I am from Oregon and most of my family is still there, so getting back there would be nice.

As for the layout...
The storage area is just taked down so it will all be saved. The main section is a peice of Free-Mo so that will be saved. The rest will have the switches, switch machines and anything else that comes up easily taken and stored. Unfortunatly the scenery, most of the ties and backdrop will all be trash.

I already have a basic idea of what I want to do for my next layout, but can't really draw anything up until I find a new place to live. I think in my next version I will have a lot less space and most likely will have to share the space with my wife or son. I am thinking that I am going to end up with a space like Steve ( modeling the NP on a narrow shelf) where most of it will be built elsewhere and then placed and worked into the layout.

I will post some pictures of the before and after of the room when I get a chance.

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - ocalicreek - 01-17-2011

Greg,

Ditto on the Golden State. What made it so wonderful, the natural beauty, year-long growing season, cosmopolitan living, etc. is now tarnished by corporate greed, overpopulation, and smog. Add racial tension and the current economic crisis, plus an impending energy crisis and environmental degredation, and the land of fruits, flakes and nuts isn't a very fun place to be anymore. My wife's siblings still live there and like it fine, but I'm very happy in the Pacific Northwest, even with our wet winters.

Wherever you end up, don't give up hope on a good space for trains. Make an ideal wish list and an absolute will-not-budge list and hope for something in between. Our recent move brought me into a space that I wouldn't consider ideal but it's indoors (climate control!) and very workable. I also have a supportive spouse who makes great suggestions from time to time like turning our old computer cabinet into an airbrush spray booth. This means I have to move it BACK upstairs after recently wrestling it downstairs, but hey, I get an indoor painting space! Woohoo!

Good luck on the house hunt!

Galen

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - tetters - 01-17-2011

What Shame! Such fantastic work! :cry: Although opportunities abound with a fresh start! Thumbsup

Any chance though you could share how you made those fantastic pine trees... My intuition tells me I am going to need a small forest modeling the Rocky Mountains! Confusedhock:

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - Justinmiller171 - 01-17-2011

ocalicreek Wrote:Greg,

Ditto on the Golden State. What made it so wonderful, the natural beauty, year-long growing season, cosmopolitan living, etc. is now tarnished by corporate greed, overpopulation, and smog. Add racial tension and the current economic crisis, plus an impending energy crisis and environmental degredation, and the land of fruits, flakes and nuts isn't a very fun place to be anymore. My wife's siblings still live there and like it fine, but I'm very happy in the Pacific Northwest, even with our wet winters.

We don't have any of those problems in Northern California, it mostly down in Southern California where most of those problems exist, I have only been to LA once in my life and I am not ever going there again Nope , too much traffic and pollution for me, I am fine living up in "them thar hills" Misngth.

Greg, make sure the city you move too has a good hobby store!!!

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - torikoos - 01-18-2011

hi there, no I don't want to buy your backdrop, as shipping would be awkward, but I do like to know how you painted it, what type of colors did you use and what technique(s). So far I've always refrained from painting anything other than blue sky fading to white on the lower part, with some spray painted clouds etc, as I've never been happy with the results when attempting mountains etc, it always looked just fake etc.
Thanks,

Koos

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - JohnyBotto - 01-18-2011

Sorry to see your current layout come to an end Greg, but look foreword to your new Model Railroad endeavors.Hope your move goes smoothly and you are back to building quickly!
Cheers,
John

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - mountaingoatgreg - 02-20-2011

Well.....
So much for THAT!!!!

As I posted earlier I thought I was moving but have instead decided to make more money and stay where I am at!!!
Unfortunatly the layout had already started to be dismantled when the decision to stay was made. Instead of rebuilding the layout I decided to recycle some of it but build a much larger layout that goes all the way around the room. This will give me the ability to have continous running which my 2 year old son will appreciate.

I will still be modeling the SP&S but will be modeling the town of Bend Oregon which is the terminus of SP&S 5th Subdivision AKA the Oregon Trunk. Instead of modeling a fictious conection I will be using seletive compression and modeling the town as accuratly as possible.

In order to start on the new layout I first had to clean dog poop out of the backyard, yes you did not mis read that.
Let me explain myself a little...
In order to prep my room I had to remove a tall cabinet and bookshelf...
This would require moving all the boxes of my packed stuff into the storage room to make a path for the furniture...
The wife decided she wanted the bookshelf so I had to help her organize her hobby room to get the stuff to fit...
We then decided to move the cabinet up to the garage...
Needless to say the garage was a mess and needed to be cleaned...
The first thing to get cleaned in the garage was to move all the lawn furniture out to the backyard...
But before I could do that I had to clean up the backyard...which means picking up dog poop....
So now I have a clean backyard, clean garage, organized train room....NOW I can start on the new layout!!!!

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - ocalicreek - 02-20-2011

Quote:This will give me the ability to have continous running which my 2 year old son will appreciate.

Your 2 year old....right.... Wink

You'll never use that except for breaking-in locos, right? Big Grin

As Alton Brown says, "Organization will set you free, America."

I believe him...but intellectual assent and actual practice are not the same. Good for you for getting things straightened out!

Pictures of the potential space?

Galen

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - Mr Fixit - 02-20-2011

I just read through the entire layout adventure. Phew what a ride. I have to agree with everyone else and say that your backdrop was the beez knees. Very inspirational and very greening from an envy point of view.
Mark

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - mountaingoatgreg - 02-20-2011

I plea the 5th on the continous running.... Thumbsup

I will post some pictures sometime this week and also a track plan.
I will need to finish my Honey-do list before any major construction can begin, but maybe getting the masonite up for the backdrop can be achieved next weekend!!

By the way....I GET TO KEEP MY BACKDROP!!!

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - torikoos - 02-21-2011

I'm just guessing that you'll be needing more 'backdrop' this time, with a larger space, so its your chance to show us a step by step tutorial on how you are painting the backdrop. :-)

Cheers,

Koos

PS: I'm not ashamed, if I could I'd incorporate some continues running too, it is fun when you just want to sit back with a beer in your hand and watch the trains roll by :-) (oh yes, it does the business in running in a loco of course :-) ) Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - SP1 - 02-21-2011

ocalicreek Wrote:
Quote:This will give me the ability to have continous running which my 2 year old son will appreciate.

Your 2 year old....right.... Wink

Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - mountaingoatgreg - 02-21-2011

Here is the plan as it stands. I will post an explination and some of the operating stuff later.

[Image: Bend+Plan.jpg]

I will be having a lot more backdrop and will try and take pictures this time Misngth

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - Russ Bellinis - 02-22-2011

mountaingoatgreg Wrote:Well.....
So much for THAT!!!!

As I posted earlier I thought I was moving but have instead decided to make more money and stay where I am at!!!
Unfortunatly the layout had already started to be dismantled when the decision to stay was made. Instead of rebuilding the layout I decided to recycle some of it but build a much larger layout that goes all the way around the room. This will give me the ability to have continous running which my 2 year old son will appreciate.

I will still be modeling the SP&S but will be modeling the town of Bend Oregon which is the terminus of SP&S 5th Subdivision AKA the Oregon Trunk. Instead of modeling a fictious conection I will be using seletive compression and modeling the town as accuratly as possible.

In order to start on the new layout I first had to clean dog poop out of the backyard, yes you did not mis read that.
Let me explain myself a little...
In order to prep my room I had to remove a tall cabinet and bookshelf...
This would require moving all the boxes of my packed stuff into the storage room to make a path for the furniture...
The wife decided she wanted the bookshelf so I had to help her organize her hobby room to get the stuff to fit...
We then decided to move the cabinet up to the garage...
Needless to say the garage was a mess and needed to be cleaned...
The first thing to get cleaned in the garage was to move all the lawn furniture out to the backyard...
But before I could do that I had to clean up the backyard...which means picking up dog poop....
So now I have a clean backyard, clean garage, organized train room....NOW I can start on the new layout!!!!

Sounds familiar! I have my book shelves up that will support my new LAJ switching layout, but I need to clean up a newly reinforced garage with shelves hanging from the rafters (reinforced to support the weight) so that I can get a car in there. I have 30 years worth of model railroad magazines that will go on the book shelves under the layout, but I realized that they won't all fit, and I really don't care about a lot of what is in them. I'm now sorting through the mags and cutting out the pages with articles that I want to save, and tossing the rest into the recycle bin. Every time I think I'm ready to start the layout, I find more work on my list that needs to be done first!

Re: SP&S Shelf Layout - mountaingoatgreg - 02-24-2011

A view of the room mostly prepared for the "New" layout. If all goes well I will start enchwork this weekend and should have it mostly up by the middle of March.

[Image: IMG_1790.JPG]

[Image: IMG_1791.JPG]

[Image: IMG_1793.JPG]

[Image: IMG_1796.JPG]

[Image: IMG_1798.JPG]