Paris Junction/Bob_Suruncle's layout - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Mainline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: HO Modeling (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Paris Junction/Bob_Suruncle's layout (/showthread.php?tid=1043)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

Re: Paris Junction/Bob_Suruncle's layout - Squidbait - 04-07-2009

Bigsteel Wrote:love the berk Thumbsup ,but only 120 cdn? is that just the standard line? or is it spectrum? i would like to get the C&O version and rework it into a more appropriate C&O kanawha.--josh

It's the new standard (blue-box) line. I'm very impressed with the way Bachmann has re-tooled most of their locos. New mechanisms, more detail and good paint. For the money, they're an excellent value.

Re: Paris Junction/Bob_Suruncle's layout - bob_suruncle - 04-09-2009

The Berk runs like a spectrum and looks GREAT! sure some of the details on the tender are molded on but overall it looks amazing and runs as good as it looks!.... And it has DCC on board

Re: Paris Junction/Bob_Suruncle's layout - Bigsteel - 04-09-2009

great to hear it runs great bob,i've always been a big buyer of bachmann as i see it as the biggest bang for the buck.ill probably be ordering one from micro-mark when i get some supplies.its only a 100 bucks new so i really cant turn it down Misngth .--josh

Re: Paris Junction/Bob_Suruncle's layout - bob_suruncle - 04-14-2009

Josh: Be aware that Micromark often has seconds and old stock which is why their prices are so low some times

Re: Paris Junction/Bob_Suruncle's layout - bob_suruncle - 12-01-2010

Well its been some time since I have posted on The Gauge as I find that railroading is more of a winter sport for me. We decided some time ago that our existing store layout was in need of refreshing, rebuilding, etc. As a result we have sold the old layout and I have been somewhat diligently working away on its replacement over the past month or so. New layout is 8' x 18" so its the same footprint but the revised track plane flows much better and is much easier to work with. New track plan also does away with some unnecessary switch backs and 2 really tight curves that stumped anything over 4 axles and of course my track laying skills have improved dramatically since the old layout was originally built nearly 10 years ago and in my defense the original layout was not built by me... Squidbait built it for another store and I grabbed it up when they no longer needed it and reworked some of the trackage to remove code 100 and any snap switches which had been originally included to demonstrate the differences in track and turnouts (that's my excuse and I am sticking to it Icon_lol )

New layout is all code 83 Atlas with 4 peco turnouts used in the center passing track section as they allow longer leads on each end (peco code 83 #6 turnouts are physically shorter than Altas #6). New layout is open grid 1x pine with 1/2" ply on top and uses tortoises on all turnouts. You will notice a plug on the front of the layout which will be used with an old troller for DC operation and we will use an MRC prodigy wireless system for running DCC. There is a simple DPDT switch hidden under the layout to switch between DC and DCC as well as a master power switch to turn off the entire layout... Its amazing that people cannot understand the do not touch sign we posted... and adults are the worst offenders not the kids. At least we can now power the entire layout down easily when not in use.

SPDT toggles for the tortoises are recessed into the fascia to reduce damage and there are 4 sidings on the backside of the layout that have on/off switches for parking locos during DC usage.

I am using a number of new (for me) products during this build including Faller foam brick sheets for the retaining wall, Faller grass tufts which will obviously be installed later and dabbling with colored grout for soil as part of the scenery. Still lots to do but I will try to keep you updated as we progress. I just have to get Squidbait to tell me what structures he wants to build and of course get him to commit to building them sometime this century 790_smiley_picking_a_fight

Yes that is my layout on the floor in the background waiting to be set in place once the store layout is out... at least the walls are painted blue. Goldth hopefully get some work done on my layout over the colder months.

Re: Paris Junction/Bob_Suruncle's layout - ocalicreek - 12-01-2010

Welcome back, Bob! I never knew there was a model railroading season until I moved to Washington State. The winters are so blah that the summers become that much more precious and wonderful, edging out the modeling interest.

The new layout looks super. Be sure and put wheel stops or stiff wire or something on the ends of the layout. Confusedhock: The fascia looks very polished and neat.

Galen

Re: Paris Junction/Bob_Suruncle's layout - P5se Camelback - 12-01-2010

It's the opposite here in Florida. It's too damn hot to be messing around outside in the summer unless you are going for a "soak' In the 89° water of the Gulf of Mexico. Summer is the time to stay inside in the A/C and build models.

Now that it's cooling off, I'm entertaining the idea of building a photo diiorama, cutting and gluing the foam base out in the driveway, where I can just sweep up the mess.

Re: Paris Junction/Bob_Suruncle's layout - Squidbait - 12-01-2010

Nice pier there! Do I see a little Troels inspiration at work?

Re: Paris Junction/Bob_Suruncle's layout - bob_suruncle - 12-02-2010

Squidbait Wrote:Nice pier there! Do I see a little Troels inspiration at work?

I hate Troll's...they smell bad and are tough to kill in a one on one...... oh wait you said Troels... yeah his work is inspiring to say the least!! Icon_lol

Re: Paris Junction/Bob_Suruncle's layout - torikoos - 12-02-2010

What's with Photobucket? There are several posts all over this forum (and elsewhere on the net) where people post their pics they also have on photobucket, which then are being 'removed' and can't be seen on these forums, as on the intro of this one.
I've seen this in many places now, I don't think I'm getting an account with them as if I can't do with my pictures what I want, then I don't want it. Photobucket seems to act as if they own them.....

Nice retaining walls by the way in those last few posts! Hopefully those will remain on the forum (the pics that is)...

Re: Paris Junction/Bob_Suruncle's layout - Squidbait - 12-02-2010

torikoos Wrote:What's with Photobucket? There are several posts all over this forum (and elsewhere on the net) where people post their pics they also have on photobucket, which then are being 'removed' and can't be seen on these forums, as on the intro of this one.
I've seen this in many places now, I don't think I'm getting an account with them as if I can't do with my pictures what I want, then I don't want it. Photobucket seems to act as if they own them.....

Nice retaining walls by the way in those last few posts! Hopefully those will remain on the forum (the pics that is)...
Actually, the photobucket issue is mine... I renamed all the albums, because I'd linked to those photos in the "other place", and they won't let me edit my messages anymore (no doubt there was a stampede of people removing content once there was the change of ownership). Unfortunately I'd neglected to update my links here. Sorry! :oops:

Re: Paris Junction/Bob_Suruncle's layout - torikoos - 12-02-2010

I see, so that may be the issue on other locations too. It's something I've come across in many places, and I started to blame Photobucket. It could still be the case in some situations of course. I'll have a look at their terms and conditions, I've always thought of a place somewhere to share and store my pictures, this may be one of them I can consider.

Koos

Re: Paris Junction/Bob_Suruncle's layout - P5se Camelback - 12-02-2010

bob_suruncle Wrote:
Squidbait Wrote:Nice pier there! Do I see a little Troels inspiration at work?
I hate Troll's...they smell bad and are tough to kill in a one on one...... oh wait you said Troels... yeah his work is inspiring to say the least!! Icon_lol

Are you referring to Troels Gravesen of "build your own loud speakers" fame?

Re: Paris Junction/Bob_Suruncle's layout - P5se Camelback - 12-02-2010

torikoos Wrote:I see, so that may be the issue on other locations too. It's something I've come across in many places, and I started to blame Photobucket. It could still be the case in some situations of course. I'll have a look at their terms and conditions, I've always thought of a place somewhere to share and store my pictures, this may be one of them I can consider. ...Koos

The deal is, when you first start your account up, THINK! Think about what you are going to be using the photo repository for and then organize accordingly. The problem comes when you realize you need another layer/umbrella of files to create sub-file of related images ... that's when you have to go to where you've posted and re-post to correct the link ... It's not a fun job and it can take the better part of a whole evening, depending on how many photos you have posted from the files involved in the reorganization.

So plan it out first, as well as you can ... the necessary fix after a reorganization is definately not what I would consider fun!

Re: Paris Junction/Bob_Suruncle's layout - bob_suruncle - 12-06-2010

P5se Camelback Wrote:Are you referring to Troels Gravesen of "build your own loud speakers" fame?

Nope: Troel's Kirk... Modeler extraordinaire: http://coastline.no13.se/