GEC's Layout Progress - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Mainline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: HO Modeling (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: GEC's Layout Progress (/showthread.php?tid=108)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 06-20-2013

Speaking of passenger equipment... Rapido looks like it will have cars right up my alley! CNJ cars (though a Canadian model, it is supposed to represent ex-KCS coaches) bought by the NJ DOT (notice the "Arrow" on the right, same as in my signature).

[Image: CNJ.jpg]

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 07-16-2013

To many new things!

Well, basically, I haven't been very active posting stuff on this thread lately, because school was pretty intense. I didn't get much done, but I have picked up a LOT of new stuff over the last year.

Projects to look forward to-

EMD FL-9 -

This is a New Haven Dual model Electric/Diesel, built to run on third rail beneath New York City until it reached the end of electrified territory. These were the last "F-Units" with the classic shape. they had an unusual 5 axle (B-A1A) wheel arrangement, presumably to accommodate the weight of the 567 diesel engine, which was shifted towards the back to make room for the electrical gear towards the front.

I have not yet decided how to paint this one. I might make a vote thread on it. The model is a Resin Undecorated RTR by Bradford hobbies, and it just needs some minor detail work and paint. The shell is accurate, and the frame is powered. It has the proper trucks and third rail shoes as well!

[Image: fl9_nh_1.jpg]

[Image: 72157631664600097]

[Image: _original]

[Image: 2478633754_756efe2f71_z.jpg?zz=1]

Conrail GP18 #7499, Ex Lehigh Valley Patch

The Lehigh Valley traded in some FT-units to EMD for "new" road switchers, in the form of GP9s and GP18s. The GP9s were some of the last built, and the GP18s some of the first, as EMD was transitioning at this point to the new model. All of them made it to Conrail, with unit #305 becoming Conrail 7499. This unit lasted until the early 1980s before getting a blue paint job (Mid 1980 is the latest photo in LV paint I can find, early 1981, in fresh blue

[Image: CR%207499%20Eport%201-79%5Btad%2060-10%5D.jpg]

[Image: xlv7499cf.jpg]

NJ DOT GP7 #5908

This is an Ex CNJ locomotive was ex 1529, and was repainted from the "red Baron" scheme into NJ DOT's blue and silver paint sometime around 1977-78. It was used on the Ex CNJ commuter lines in New Jersey. Most of these "GP7P" types ran on trains out to Bound Brook and Phillipsburg, NJ from Newark Penn station. That said, 5905 appeared on the New York & Long Branch frequently, and GP7s such as this one would be frequently called out if an E8 failed, or if extra power was needed on a "Jersey Builder" consist.

THe model is an undecorated P2K GP7 Passenger version.

[Image: njt5908arc.jpg]

Undecided Ex CNJ GP7

I also plan to do another GP7, but I don't know if I should to another NJ DOT unit, or a Conrail unit. I already planned to do Conrail 5679, so i'm not sure how necessary a second Conrail GP7 would be. That said, it seems like most of the CNJ GP7s lost their red paint on NJ DOT. I still have one coming in, so I'll have to figure it out.

Reading Company "Green Car" (class EPA)

These were the Reading Company's original EMUs purchased in the late 20s and early 30s for its Philadelphia electrification. Many of these ran into the 1980s. The rebuilt "Blueliner" survived until 1989. These IHP models represent the cars as built ( It would be possible to kitbash them into the rebuilt "blueliners"). 6 of these MU cars should be on the way soon. These are the last of the IHP resin kits, so they will be a lot of fun.

[Image: rdg803-1.jpg]

[Image: showPicture.aspx?id=3406826]

[Image: showPicture.aspx?id=3406826]

Metroliner Club and Café EMUs

I also received a few half completed Bachmann Metroliner shells that had been converted to the Club and Café versions. These models were to be produced by IHP, but Walthers will now be producing these models, due out sometime in the far future.

These will be painted up as ex-PC units, without the Amtrak stripes.

#887 is an example of the club car. It has 33 parlor style seats

[Image: Metro887.jpg]

#857 is a café car.

[Image: 2253byKenPiersol.jpg]

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Charlie B - 07-16-2013

GEC, the 1528 was still red in April of 1978. though I don't know if that was the original CNJ number or a later CR number. I'm sure you know which is which.

Charlie

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 07-16-2013

Charlie B Wrote:GEC, the 1528 was still red in April of 1978. though I don't know if that was the original CNJ number or a later CR number. I'm sure you know which is which.

Charlie

1978 seems to be the last year I can find any Red CNJ GP7s except for one or two assigned to freight operations.

I can understand the confusion, since Conrail re-applied the CNJ numbers back onto the GP7Ps in Conrail font. I assume this was because the final number scheme wasn't established, and the 1500 series remains unused in the Conrail numbering system. Eventually, all would get Conrail Numbers.

This is the disposition of CNJ GP7s as far as I know-

Conrail GP7Ps/GP7

5676-- ex 1520
5677-- ex 1521
5678-- ex 1531:2-- exx 1526---- Rebuilt Freight only "GP9M", involved in Newark Bay bridge incident
5679-- ex 1532---- Rebuilt Freight only "GP9M", involved in Newark Bay bridge incident *I plan to model this one when I find the right GP9 shell*
5680-- ex 1522

NJ DOT-NJ transit GP7Ps. Note, almost all of the "1500" series photos are late 1978. All 1979 photos show NJ DOT paint, though some NJ DOT photos are later.

5681-- ex 1523
5902 (NJT)-- ex 1524
5904-- ex 1525
5905-- ex 1526:2-- exx 1528
5906-- ex 1527 (1975, in blue/yellow)
5907-- ex 1528:2-- exx 1531
5908-- ex 1529
5910-- ex 1530

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - jwb - 07-17-2013

I'm still finding prints from a ride I took on NJDOT in May 1981, and I'm almost sure I have the GP7 that was on the other end of this train someplace.

This train had the CR GP38-2 you see on one end and an ex CNJ GP7P on the other. The only easy part of doing this train, though, would be the GP38-2, which is a straight Atlas Trainman late version! I think the cars may be ex-Reading, but I'm not sure. Does anyone have better info?

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 07-17-2013

jwb Wrote:I'm still finding prints from a ride I took on NJDOT in May 1981, and I'm almost sure I have the GP7 that was on the other end of this train someplace.
[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
This train had the CR GP38-2 you see on one end and an ex CNJ GP7P on the other. The only easy part of doing this train, though, would be the GP38-2, which is a straight Atlas Trainman late version! I think the cars may be ex-Reading, but I'm not sure. Does anyone have better info?

There is almost certainly a GP7P on the other end providing train heat/power. I have a photo of CR GP38-2 8233 pulling a nearly identical train with a GP7P on the back, though the photo is October of 1979.

Actually though, I might have to disagree. the GP38-2 would be the Easiest part, but the coaches wouldn't be so bad either. I've managed to track down these coaches and I have found the appropriate car sides!

Basically, that was a former "segregated" 64 seat AC&F coach built for the MoPac in 1948 for use in the southern states. NJ DOT scooped up at least three (my roster suggests they have a few more) in 1968 for use on the Raritan Valley Line. These trains traveled between Newark Penn Station on the NEC for about a few miles, until it reached Hunter Tower, and then traveled over the Lehigh Valley, then CNJ, to Phillipsburg.

Unfortunately, I can't put a number on this car, since there seems to be some significant variations.

Anyway, here is a link to the car side for this car. The car side is a DEFINITE match for this photo.

The also offer a few other NJ DOT/CNJ cars, such as-

324 and 325, ex MoPac 733 and 734, Budd 1942 coaches

330, 331, 332, 333 ex MoPac coaches, exx C&O parlors built by Pullman Standard in 1950. 332 did not survive into the 1979 roster

271-279 ex KCS Pullman Standard coaches. These were the last such Pullman coaches ever made. Pullmand did make other coach designs, but they would be considered Modern (Comet I, Superliner, etc)

Of course, there were large numbers of the old Steel suburban coaches used by the CNJ all the way until ~1983, when the Comet II coached and HEP equipped F40PHs began to replace the old CNJ equipment on all lines. These were VERY similar to the Reading designs, but were still technically CNJ cars.

Bethlehem Car works Kit # 310matches the celestory roof variants, while kit #1300 matches the arched roof. They sell white metal "kit bit" ends (specifically # 22-H) to replicate the cab control car if desired on the 1300 series cars.

The following Car sides are CNJ/ NJ DOT cars that were purchased in 1968 but did not survive into Conrail-

307, ex CRI&P 328 PS fluted side Divided coach. Scrapped 1974

316, ex CRI&P 72 seat PS coaches. 6 went to the MTA in the 70s, i'm trying to figure out if they lasted long enough to go with my FL9. NJ DOT scrapped theirs in 1974

321ex MoPac Coach/Grill/Dorm, built by Budd in 1942. One went to NJ DOT but didn't last. Scrapped 1975.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 07-24-2013

Bachmann GG1s eh? So far only in the typical PRR paints, and single Penn Central option. No Conrail Patch, no Amtrak.

I'm going to have to fix that.... If these have plastic bodies and look good next to my BLI and MTH GG1, I'll be happy. I'm hoping I can modify these to look like the "modified" high intake GG1s.

[Image: W-NMRA-ATL-Models-Bach-GG1-04.jpg]

[Image: 1003304_10153070614850121_737745598_n.jpg]

[Image: 1011989_10153070614120121_633439243_n.jpg]

[Image: 13255_10153070617970121_804154578_n.jpg]

Also, while looking at shiny new, things SDP45s! I've always liked these, though they don't currently offer Conrail for this one either (its okay, there is a patch for that). they are also offering great northern and Southern Pacific paint schemes.

[Image: 1069950_10151763146045041_2058981236_n.jpg]

[Image: 998547_10151763145715041_1028423362_n.jpg]

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 09-02-2013

Well, I've finally gotten free from my college stuff, so I've begun working on my models again.

Jersey Arrow I

I've finally begun the molding process. I have completed the one piece floor mold, which appears to be very successful. I used Alumilite High-Strength 3 (HS3), which is a HIGHLY stretchy and floppy molding rubber. since I intend to mold this while flat on a table, the floppy nature of the mold should not be a problem. I mixed and molded it Saturday, and demolded it last night. I haven't yet tried to make a cast with it, but it looks promising, with no bubbles anywhere along the casting. Some trimming might be necessary, but otherwise, there have been few problems with the floor/underbody details.

That said, the body is a little more frustrating, and must be done as a two piece mold. It took all of my High Strength 2 (HS2) to mold the outside of the body. The primary problem is the "clay" provided to help create dams and block the mold rubber from leaking in through windows and such. While very little of it has stuck to the model, a LOT of it is sticking to the mold. This clay is supposed to be able to peel away from the rubber, which is why this is so frustrating. This is bad, since if the clay sticks somewhere its not supposed to, then comes out later, it can create trouble making a proper mold.

That said, it could have been a lot worse. One of the problems I had casting body shells was positioning the "master" properly. I tried to cast an E44 so that the body shell was standing normally, with the clay poured on top. Unfortuneately, after only a few minutes, the model floated up out of the rubber, and so the mold was ruined. Next, I tried casting the GP40FH-2, this time upside down. This was easier, but it resulted in bubbles becoming trapped on the roof of the model, making any such cast highly labor intensive and ultimately undesirable.

This time, I tried to cast the body shell the same way as I did with the E44, but this time I cut a hole in the bottom of the mold box, so that the body shell would not float. I packed in the clay along the edges to make sure that the mold rubber could not leak out the bottom of the mold box or enter the interior of the model. There was only minor leaking from the sides of the box, and not from the clay dams. I quickly plugged that leak. So far, though there are bubbles on the "top" of the surface of the mold, I don't see any along the sides or bottom of the mold, so I'm hoping this is a promising sign that most of the bubbles have drifted up and away from the master. Any imperfections on the fluted sides of the model will be difficult to fix, even tiny minor issues (if only there were a way to sand between flutes!)

In any event, I think I need to purchase more casting rubber. I still have a pound of HS3 left, but its VERY floppy, so i'm thinking another jar or HS2 will do the trick, and might even leave some left over. I intend to use the remaining HS3 to make casts of small parts that might break easily before I assemble my Jersey Arrow II, III, and Reading Company Green Car MUs, as all of these kits are discontinued, and I'm not sure how much parts support I can get.

The floor mold-

[Image: P8311138.jpg]

The body shell being prepped for molding-

[Image: P8311139.jpg]

The flash on this side of the model was very thin, and definitely not water tight, so it needed to be backed up with the clay.

[Image: P8311140.jpg]

Both models sit while the rubber cures.

[Image: P8311141.jpg]

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 10-31-2013

Well, its been about two months since an update.

Reading Company Electrification Display 99% complete

I have only a few photos, and even fewer uploaded, but that will change tomorrow. I rebuilt the catenary to be closer to prototype, since my structures were initially over-sized. All that remains are a few details, such as transmission line insulators and grab irons. All the wire is hung, and it was presentable for the MT&TC back in October. I now have a Reading Company/ SEPTA module to photograph my Philly based trains on. It is only two tracks. Some basic ground foam also covers the plywood. All i need is the proper color ballast.

Look forward to few pics tommorow.

Reading Company MU progress-

Currently, my Reading MUs are partially painted. All need another coat of green, and three need their roofs painted (most likely to black). The Reading Green color is actually a problem. It seems like the color green changed from the old photos to whatever it was in the late 70s/early 80s on these cars. The photographs in my books do not look like #800 in the RR Museum of PA. Perhaps some of the Philly-area members of the site might now the precise color of these cars?

In any event, they will all need pantographs, which I plan to use Bachmann E33 Pantographs for. These are $10 a set, so when the budget allows, I'll start ordering them. In the meantime, all the other details except for the windows are ready to go, and once all the painting is done, the kits came with the appropriate decals, so they should go together quickly.

The only remaining issues are powering some, and adding wheels to the rest. I bought some P2K wheel sets of the appropriate size, but they don't seem to fit in the trucks (they aren't perfectly flat on the back). I can either try to sand down the thickness of the trucks, or get new wheels. in this case, I might be able to get realistic speeds out of a Stanton Drive, and the smaller MU cars are in theory, lighter than the 85' Silverliners. It also helps that the slightly larger wheel diameter will increase the speed slightly as well.

The headlights might also be trouble, but we'll see.

One of six kits, prior to painting.

[Image: P9191021.jpg]

Silverliner IVs for Reading and SEPTA

Originally, I only owned one Silverliner IV. At one point, I was given a prototype Silverliner IV drive, and ended up with a spare underbody. Since IHP is discontinuing Resin kits, I managed to snag an additional Silverliner IV shell and bits to place on this underbody, giving me two cars. Even more awesome, IHP also sold me one of their "display" models, a SEPTA painted Silverliner IV with full interiors and Reading Company style cow-catchers (unusual for 1974!). This brings my Silverliner IV roster up to 3 "Single" types. It is a shame that none of the married pair Silverliner IVs were produced by IHP, but then again I don't model philladelphia exclusively (this is more of a side thing for me, given my closeness to Philly).

In any event, I am waiting on some windows and a new gear for my Silverliner IV drive. Hopefully, this replacement will allow me to run at least two car trains. If I'm really lucky, I can get all three running! I might avoid trying to pull both unpowered ones, since the reason I need a new gear is because the old one got chewed up, and that car was running single!

The only question now is how to paint my two new cars. The one shell was totally unpainted, and so I will probably paint it as a Reading Company/SEPTA unit like the first. I have since given it a coat of Alclad. My third Silverliner IV came with the SEPTA block logos already applied, but I'm not sure if I want to remove the block logos to backdate the car. In theory, there was a brief time where you could see both schemes at the same time, but I'm not sure how long that lasted, and I don't remember seeing many pictures like that.

Probably some Pics tommorow.

Jerse Arrow I updates

I got side tracked preparing for the MT&TC, but now I am back on this project. The molds have been successful so far. I am waiting on the arrival of Mold release, to pour the interor mold of the Arrow I body shell. Relatively soon, I'll test out the underbody mold, since it looks promising.

I also ordered some Silver pigment. I doubt the model will look perfect out of the mold and I'll probably need to paint over it anyway, but it might be a start. Certainly, most of the stuff I work with is silver in some form or another anyway, so we'll see.

I'll get this Arrow I home soon!

Jersey Arrow II and Arrow III updates

My other Jersey Arrow Kits are moving a long. Ideally, I'd like to get some of my Arrow III married pairs done, especially considering I've had the one pair semi-built for the past 5-6 years. While that car is now painted, it still has a little ways to go. I won't repost the old photo, but a few months ago, I had most of my Arrow III bodies lined up assembly-line style as I drilled all the necessary holes for the grab irons, and began installing the end-doors and rear bulkheads. Once i get the bodies together, they'll be ready for paint.

I Have also made sure to get my Arrow II kits up to speed. While I have one pair partially built, I do have my remaining Arrow II kits at the same stage as my Arrow IIIs. Despite having different details, the kits go together almost the same. I have the appropriate decals for some of these Penn Central marked Arrow IIs in the meantime. I probably won't have enough NJ DOT logos and i'll have to order more from Prime Mover Decals.

The two remaining problems will be lighting and powering them.

So far, the only good option to power them is the NWSL Stanton drive. However, I am told they cannot reach much more over 60 scale MPH, for whatever reason. The 100 MPH top speed of these Arrow MUs probably is not 100% necessary (though it would be nice). However, these things average about 80 MPH in real life, and the drive installed in my Silverliner III does not reflect that. Keep in mind, the silverliner III is a lighter kit than the Arrow II or III.

I do have a black beetle drive, but I need to re-assemble that particular Arrow III, as it has been out of commision for quite some time. That drive has a bigger motor, and is somewhat more noticeable than the stanton drive in terms of size. That said, I'm pretty sure it runs a little faster.

Lighting is the other pain. I have fiber optics, but I'm still not clear how to make it do what I want. Part of the problem, is that the lights are in "tight" spaces. The corner red marker lights are VERY close to the outside wall of the model, and so only a small LED will fit. The main headlight cluster has two headlights on the outside, with a red marker light in between. Some have suggested running fiber optics from a Yelo-glo LED and a Red LED to the respective lights.

However, the lights don't seem to be as bright coming from the fiber optics, unless I'm doing something wrong.

I'd much rather like to install small surface mount LEDs right behind the lenses for the lights. However, these are small LEDs, and I'm still not sure how I should mount them either. However I do it, I'd like to make it easily repeatable. It would be cool if I could make a mini circuit board that fits into the top cab end of the MU car. From there, I could just solder the LEDs to this board, attach the board to the inside of the car some place, and then attach the appropriate decoder wires. This would allow me to do most of the work outside of the model, which is preferable.

In any event, I might make a seperate thread about this problem.

Staten Island Rapid Transit MU

I picked up an old SIRT car. I actually remember seeing one in the weeds a LONG time ago near a power plant on Staten Island. It got stranded there somehow, and was heavily vandalized. I don't know what happened to it, but the got rid of it just prior to CSX moving in and rehabbing the freight tracks onto Staten Island. The yard it was parked in is now a staging area for trash cars, since the Fresh Kills land fill is now closed, and New York City needs to take its trash somewhere!

Anyways, It might be nice to do some Third rail. Wentworth Station, at the tip of the long gone South Shore Branch of the SIRT, would be perfect. Plans exist on line for the scale mode of it. Here, a SIRT car stops at the station, small enough for just the back of the MU car to line up with the platform.

[Image: image108.jpg]

[Image: image114.jpg]

Complete PATCO trainset

I managed to get two more married pairs of PATCO cars, allowing me to model the full six car train I took to school the past few years. It will be fun finishing them up. They have all the same power and light complications of the Arrows, but we'll see how it goes.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 10-31-2013

Diesel Project updates-

Conrail GP18 #7499

I have done some work on my ex-LV GP18. this involved adding the winterization hatch, air-filter box, and removing the shroud from the forward fan (the dynamic fan kept its shroud). I also just picked up a horn kit, a proper roof bell, and some LV decals that match the GP18 just prior to Conrail. I will of course, paint over the LV markings a little, and see how well i can dab it off to give it that really weathered patchy look.

The only thing I'm waiting to do, is add a few more details, and determine a color mix to match the "brighter" Lehigh Valley Cornell red found prior to the Conrail merger.

There is another challenge in that the LV fuel tanks were smaller than the stock model one. I could try and cut it short, but it runs very close to the motor mounts, so I might just live with the over-sized fuel tank. I'm considering getting the grills from Plano models, since I've liked the parts I picked up from them so far.

NJ DOT Commuter diesels

I haven't done to much with these lately. The CNJ GP7Ps will probably be on hold until I know exactly how I want to approach them. There are quite a few detail options out there worth considering.

My First E8 was being held up until I could visit the prototype #4253 to get some more detail shots. I could not find any guidance on the installation of the PRR style lift lugs, and because of these lift lugs, some of the grab irons were moved. By visiting the real thing, it let me take multiple shots and see for myself about how it should be approached. Though 4253 isn't EXACTLY the same as it was 30+ years ago, these details didn't change. Once I add these details, the model should be ready to paint.

[Image: P9221171.jpg]

My second E8 I have not yet begun. I had originally planned to make it Conrail 4014, an Erie-Lackawanna patched E8. Indeed, this unit was the second place in the E8 paint poll. However, as much as I like 4014 (and I do want a model of it eventually), I wonder if it makes sense to match. Though 4014 spent much of its life hauling commuter trains with the NJ DOT E8s, and there are plenty of photos of it with a more typical NJ DOT E8. However, does the Blue/red/silver go well with the gray/yellow/maroon?

There are plenty of other NJ DOT E8s worth it. #4248, an E8 I originally planned to do because it retained its batten strip sides, was also used by Metro North briefly for trains into Grand Central Terminal (despite fume concerns!)

Finally, my GP40P project is stagnated. I need to finish the frame on that thing, but its getting a pain in the but drilling and tapping this thing. I just gotta push through it. Hopefully, I can solder a plate in there to keep everything straight without getting in the way of the trucks or drive train. I did order the Plano SD45 radiator grills, which should be EXACTLY what the GP40P had. They also look cool since they are etched metal, which is a plus.

I began cutting out more of the GP40 base shell, though I need to get prepared to add the proper cannon & co doors. This is the first time I've tried something like this, so it does make me a tad nervous! Still, I should be able to plan it out, and I have the scale drawings in HO, so I just need to take it easy and do it step by step. If I do it right, it will be a VERY awesome kitbash.

New Haven FL9

Well, I put it up for a vote, and it looks like the New Haven paint won the game. Given the disappearance of the Floquil/Pollyscale paints, this might be an opportunity to try the "Tru-color" paints being offered. They have a New Haven Red-Orange, and I assume Reefer white and Engine Black will do the trick for the rest of it.

The only scary part will be masking the thing for airbrushing! Fortunately, this model is nearly RTR, and so a decoder, headlight and some Athearn window pieces will be all I need to finish it off. I can probably add some of the other minor details later.

Metroliners

The decal set necessary for my Arrow IIs also included decals for the Bachmann/IHP Metroliner MU in Penn Central paint. Though I could go ahead and repaint my Bachmann cars, I might wait and see about the Walthers Metroliners. I have been saving up, and I want to pick up a trainset. I worry however, that Walthers will release a Penn Central set in the future.

The prototype cars were delivered only a few months before the Penn Central Merger. In fact, they never earned a single revenue dime while the PRR existed, doing only test runs. From 1968 to 1979, the majority of the Metroliners remained in their Penn Central era-paint, with a few having Amtrak patches. Enough Metroliners had been repainted that you could see one or two Amtrak cars in a given consist, but more often then not, the Metroliners trains were all Silver, All Penn Central consists.

This is particularly problematic for the club cars i want to model, since few ever got Amtrak paint before 1979, and those that did were rebuilt. After the 1979 rebuilding, the un-rebuilt metroliners didn't last long. Unfortunately, the Walthers model does not reflect the rebuilt cars either (I'd take a set of those in a heartbeat).

a full Amtrak trainset would be easier to acquire, but it would be unrealistic. The PRR set is closest to the PC paint job, and is cool, but its an insanely expensive set (over $1000 for a 4 car set with sound and figures installed). Unless someone buys a few sets and splits them up, the PRR Metroliners will not be available seperately, so if I wanted some to make PC car from (or even just to have the PRR painted versions), I would HAVE to buy the set.

I would feel pretty dumb if I bought a PRR set, only to see a Penn Central one come out in a year or two. I could feel save with a few Amtrak coaches and Cafe, but my train set wouldn't technically be realistic since i've NEVER seen a full Amtrak consist before 1979.

The final option would be stripping and repainting an Amtrak model into a Penn Central one. That one is probably the cheapest alternative if they don't make a future PC run.

NJ DOT commuter coaches, Amtrak core kits

This is another one on hold. I need more cores before I move ahead. the kits i purchased from NKP Car Co have their own cores, but they don't have the underbody details. At the URHS open house, I photographed one of the Ex-PRR 21 Roomette sleepers-turned-coach, but unlike last time, it was not in a position for me to see the other side well. I really want to avoid improvising on the underbody if possible. The same goes with roof details.

If i were smart, I would have picked up the Walthers ones when they were available undecorated as part of the Broadway Limited. I picked up the car sides for these, but in hindsight, there is a strong chance they'll re-run these broad way cars again (after all, we're seeing some ATSF and GN reruns!).

The cores are getting trickier than I though they would be. Getting the parts to line up perfectly has proven particularly difficult, and I'm thinking I need to find some proper tools to get the model line up properly.

Ultimately, for some of these cars, like the 3400 series Le-Pub cars, this is the only option. once I get these MU cars off my plate, I'll get back to these.

Well, that about covers it....

A super long post, I gotta break these downs into smaller ones over time!

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 11-25-2013

Some Pictures

[Image: P9100924.jpg]

[Image: P9100923.jpg]

[Image: P9100920.jpg]

[Image: P9100902.jpg]

[Image: P9100929.jpg]

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 12-02-2013

Every once in a while, it feels nice to just build some simple freight car kits. No complicated paint schemes.... no MU car kits that need power trucks and lights and other things that prevent them from ever getting done.

Just easy kits.

Kinda.

Lucky for me I picked up the parts for these freight cars months ago, but none of them came with trucks.

I built a Front Range Chessie System (C&O) AC&F cement hopper, and two Robin's Rails Greenville 60ft double door boxcars, one in Conrail and the other in Erie Lackawanna. I used atlas trucks on the former, and Kato trucks with spinning roller bearings on the boxcars.

My girlfriend built the C&O car, and all it needed was the wheels and couplers, which I put on today. In fact, this car was a "free" car that no one "bid" on at the 2010 Northeast RPM's fundraising auction. Its actually not a bad car, and once it gets weathered, i'm sure it will be a great car.

The greenville boxcars look nice, but I can tell they will be trouble, since their coupler pockets are somewhat vulnerable, as they try to simulate the "cushion couplers" without using typical screws or other panels to hold in the couplers. The top is only held in by thin plastic, which was already broken in the box. I pretty much had to glue the couplers in. Hopefully, those Kadees never need to be changed.

Even so, it was nice doing a relaxing kit as opposed to struggling with some other ridiculous project. Already, I know I need to work on my E44As to get them back in shape, and I need to get my GG1 pilot trucks in order.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 12-09-2013

Jersey Arrow I

As is typical, As soon as I am almost done with a project, it is negated!

For my birthday that just passed, one of my gifts was a set of THREE Jersey Arrow I kits, from 1997. I am just getting set to finish off the molding project of one of these from JWB's loaned Arrow I.

On the plus side, I now have three kits that have all the parts, including the trucks (rare) and the specially made Decals (RARER).

On the other hand, this may not be all bad. These Jersey Arrow Is technically still ride the rails. From 1968 to 1980 they were self propelled, from the mid-80s to early 2000s, they were converted to "Comet 1B" Push-pull coaches and cabs, some of which saw brief service loaned to Canada, and now California is rebuilding these cars yet again as long distance coaches until more bi-level equipment can be purchased.

I wouldn't have DREAMED of doing any of those projects given the rarity of these kits (and I strongly suspect few of these kits ever were modeled as the MU version). Being able to cast these shells and floors will let me play with the possibility of the Comet 1B.

Metroliners on tour

I did get to see the Walthers Metroliner trainsets at Sattler's Hobby shop in Westmont. I'm definitely on-board for at least a trainset of these, and I'm looking forward to them.

I also got a good look at the Stemman Pantographs on the coaches. These are VERY good, and my only complaint is that they are plastic. That said, the details are right, and they are equalized. If possible, I will order a large bunch of these pantographs for my Jersey Arrows (almost 14 of pantographs, and a few extra).

This is the first time any Stemman Pantograph is available in HO scale, period. Technically, there were some being sold in very limited quantities with the IHP Arrow Is (seperate from the kits), but i'm told they made and sold so few, that they almost aren't worth looking for.

I may also get the faively pantographs from the Cafe and Parlor Metroliner cars for my Jersey Arrow IIs and my remaining Silverliners, which use this sort of pantograph. I do have many of the old Bachmann Metroliners, so I can always use those pantographs if the walthers are not available.

GG1 Pilot Truck fix

I have largely solved the problem with the BLI and MTH pilot trucks on the GG1. They bounce VERY easily leading to derailments. I went to Lowe's, and bought a few washers (#6 and 5/16" Steel washers), and sandwhiched them between the truck and the existing spring/washer assembly. It doesn't really seem to add significant weight to the trucks, but it does limit their up and down movement to almost non-existent.

This pretty much eliminated all the "pilot truck bounce" in the GG1, and has made these units far more reliable. I have since re-equipped all my GG1s with this modification.

Another issue was the couplers. The stock couplers provied by BLI are miserable, and the "automatic" couplers with the MTH not much better. While an Kadee #5 box can fit, it blocks the pilot trucks, even on broad curves, causing derailments. the boxes either need to be cut back, or Type 30 couplers used.

On the MTH GG1s, the pilot trucks and unprototypical notches that prevent this issue, but you can only use the "scale" couplers. "regular" couplers like the #5 will not fit past the pilots unless you use a long shank coupler.

Even more freight cars

On top of the three mentioned before, I also have a few more freight car kits either built or approaching completion, including two Accurail open autoracks, 2 tank cars, and "club car" AC&F hopper painted for the Rancocas Valley Lines, the Burlington County Club's free-lanced roadname.

Pictures coming soon (they are uploading to photobucket as I post this, but it may take a while).

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 12-14-2013

New freight equipment:

[Image: PC080013.jpg]

[Image: PC080012.jpg]

[Image: PC080010.jpg]

The Conrail car is not completed in the photo, but is finished now.

[Image: PC021976.jpg]

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Tyson Rayles - 12-14-2013

Now you can finally start turning a profit instead of just hauling around all those free loading people! Icon_lol Thumbsup