GEC's Layout Progress - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Mainline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: HO Modeling (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: GEC's Layout Progress (/showthread.php?tid=108)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 01-29-2014

Tyson Rayles Wrote:I don't check in here real often because I'm not all that interested in passenger operations. That said your layout is progressing very nicely and I really should check in more often! Thumbsup

While I admit that I've probably now become a greater passenger operator than I was before, I do think I should point out that freight is still a big part of my operating plan.

I think the distinction between operations and modelling should be made.

As far as operations are concerned, freight is pretty much always more interesting than passenger operations. After all, whats more exciting than watching a commuter train shuttle back and forth, and making the same stop every minute or two? I can tell you from personal experience operating push-pulls on my club's reading line, that it is MIND NUMBINGLY BORING. In fact, it gives me a major head ache, since I have to stand there and watch it and stop it, and our Reading line is not very long.

Freight operations on the other hand, actually feel like you're doing something. Its like a game. Its definitely more fun.

On the other hand.....

Apart from the locomotives and a few unique cars, freight modeling is rarely super exciting. Even though freight cars are almost all individually unique, that amalgamation is what makes them less exciting subjects. While weathering work can make any car interesting, thats a portion of the hobby I have to get back into.

Passenger modeling is much more fun, since you can usually get all the shots you need, and they're easy to research. They're also much more recognizable than freight. They also set the stage better, since there can be no doubt where a layout is set when an NJT train passes by. Kits are generally available for passenger trains.

Researching individual freight cars is far more difficult by comparison, since people rarely ever seem to photograph individual cars, and they rarely get enough of the car in to recognize the specific details. Once you stop trying to make unique freight cars, it gets boring. You might weather an RTR car, but it doesn't change the fact that the car is mostly a faceless entity that blends in with the rest of the boxcars.

That said.... there are some neat freight projects I'm looking forward to starting

Planned Future Freight Projects

TV-4 East-St. Louis to Meadows-

This is a HOT Trailer-on-Flat-car train that runs express up the NEC. I'm currently trying to identify the major car types in this service, and trying to find the appropriate trailers. This train was one of the few authorized to run faster than 50 MPH on the NEC closer to 60 to 70, and it typically only has a single E44 or GG1 on its head end (and occaisionally diesels). I'm hoping that there are readily available cars that fit the bill, which would make this an easier train to build.

Tropicana Orange Juice Train-

This one will take a lot of work, but it will be worth it. Limited to a length of 65 cars due to restrictions through the Baltimore tunnel, this train usually required three E44s to haul it from the RF&P interchange at Potomac yard to Kearny, New Jersey. Again, this is another express freight, but this time it is one that is well documented. The main challenge here is that there are almost no Tropicana cars that are applicable to my time period. Red Caboose makes cars in the appropriate paint schemes, but the cars themselves are not correct. This means I'll have to kitbash (and likely clone) my own accurate Tropicana cars. I'm also going to need a lot of them.

Even if I don't get a long train length worth of cars, these cars were frequently sent south in blocks of ten empties or so, so I can put them on any "westbound" freight heading down the corridor towards Trenton.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 01-29-2014

shortliner Wrote:...and especially for GEC, <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/81545-new-models-at-springfield-big-rr-show/#entry1323732">http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... try1323732</a><!-- m -->

You know it! I already snapped up a set of Metroliners. I'm hoping to slowly acquire a few trainsets worth of the new Amfleets.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 01-30-2014

In Passenger train related news, I've made some more progress and some new projects have shown up.

Amtrak 3400 Series "Le Pub" cafeteria lounge cars

I've built the first of two of these cars that I have as Core kits and car sides. They were made by Laser Horizons. I had to adjust some things, but for the most part these sides are correct. The real trouble was assembling the core. As it turns out, the floors and roof are slightly shorter than the laser horizon sides. I ended up trying to put the ends onto the sides, and then glue in the floor. This worked for the most part, but it does look like part of the model isn't 100% square. For now though, it looks OK, and so i'm not going to try and break it apart.

I'm very excited about this particular passenger car, since these were very noticeable on trains such as the Broadway Limited, Montrealer, and the Florida trains. Reportedly, these cars were always a "party", with people enjoying drinks and music all the way through the night as the train made its way north from Washington DC to Montreal.

I'm hoping to add an accurate interior, if I can get some more photos. I have the interior floor plan, but I suspect some walls might be "open", such as the "Buffet" area.

Brand New GP40FH-2s

I have acquired two "fresh" GP40FH-2 shells. These are distinctive NJ Transit Locomotives, and you might remember one of my more involved contest threads in which I attempted to clone one. The resin I used to cast that GP40FH-2 has not been cooperative, and it looks like it still wants to warp a little, with only the screws I installed holding it in acceptable levels. These two new GP40FH-2s appear to be cast in a better type of resin, and I'm hoping these won't warp.

My hope is to get these running by next Year to replace my ALP44s and U34CHs in commuter service at my Train club. Both of those locomotives probably need new wheels because they have been run so much! Not to mention, the GP40FH-2 is probably visually more interesting than either the ALP44 or the U34CH.

Its also nice to get a fresh start on these engines, since the clone GP40FH-2 has all the flaws of the original.

The FL9 gets the (beginnings) of a train

I put the paint job of my FL9 up for a vote, and a New Haven scheme was chosen. I plan to paint it that way, and put the original New Haven numbers on it. That said, Metro North conveniently had these renumbered from their "5000" series Conrail numbers into the "2000" series. Though Metro North 2017 isn't the same FL9 and New Haven 2017, They were both painted the same.

Though the Metro North era FL9s had markers lights and MU plugs and no skirts, I figure this is a good case of "close enough", and it lets me model the FL9s as they were, while allowing me some flexibility to run some slightly more modern commuter trains with Metro North and CDOT cars.

Speaking of CDOT, I have acquired a red striped Metro North/CDOT Comet II coach. I was also pursuing a matching Cab car, but it got away from me! There was a photo of an FL9 and a two car commuter train with this equipment, so I figured it was perfect, a real "pike sized" passenger train.

The CDOT cars a probaby a little more appropriate for the FL9, since these are typically assigned to former New haven trains (though they can end up elsewhere if needed). That said, NH painted Metro North FL9s could also be found pulling the "blue Striped" Metro North cars, also offered by walthers but difficult to find.

I strongly suspect that Walthers will do an enhanced run of the Comet commuter cars, but as long as I don't pay to much for these Out-of-Production models, I'll probably beat the $70-$80 price tag walthers is sure to stamp on these models.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - e-paw - 01-30-2014

Post some pics of your FL-9's sir.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - eightyeightfan1 - 01-31-2014

A few years ago, I wanted CDOT commuter train(I live in Connecticut). Bought a couple of the Walthers Comet commuter cars and cab car, undecorated, (Walthers hadn't released the CDOT cars at the time)and a couple of sheets of Microscale "CDOT" decals. The next year, Walthers released the Comet cars in CDOT scheme. Go figure.

As far as the CDOT F40PH-2's. They are having a lot of problems with them breaking down. A couple of times CDOT had to send the FL-9's out to rescue them.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - jwb - 01-31-2014

Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:There was a photo of an FL9 and a two car commuter train with this equipment, so I figured it was perfect, a real "pike sized" passenger train.
These sets also ran with the ex-MBTA F10s. I have an IHP F10 which I haven't done anything with, still undecided whether to do it as Metro North or MBTA.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 01-31-2014

e-paw Wrote:Post some pics of your FL-9's sir.

I haven't done a lot of work other than adding the brass steps (the originals were shaved off by the prior owner). This is one of the Bradford Hobbies units. They also offer an EP5, but I can never get them on the phone.

In any event, I picked this think up for a discount, as its front pilot was shattered. Surprisingly, I was able to reassamble it (mostly), and the sell sent me a cut up FP9 shell to get a replacement pilot if I needed it. the Hancock air whistle, a very "New Haven" feature was also included, but I haven't installed it yet.

More importantly though, the model came with a working drive mechanism that has all the appropriate details with it. This eliminates one of the greatest challenges in building one of these models. The details are good enough to make me consider removing the skirt, but I'll leave it on for now.

[Image: P1310541.jpg]

This broadside view gives those unfamiliar with the FL9 a good idea why it is unique. The first thing that stands out is the B-A1A Truck arrangement. This is because the prime mover is pushed back from its normal location in an F-unit, with transformers and other electrical gear occupying the space in front of the diesel engine. The six axle truck helps distribute the weight.

Indeed, the trucks are also unusual, featuring the flexi-coil B trucks on the front instead of blomberg trucks. Affixed to both trucks on both sides is the Third Rail Pick Up shoes. This allowed these engines to run into Grand Central Terminal, as well as Penn Station, under electric power.

[Image: P1310553.jpg]

[Image: P1310550.jpg]

[Image: P1310545.jpg]

[Image: P1310544.jpg]

These were amongst the last of the cab units in regular revenue operation (as were the F10 types that JWB mentions), operating on Metro North.

These dual mode Electric/Diesel locomotives are at least in this region, fairly recognizable, and I think this model with gather much attention at shows when it is done.

Here Are some prototype Photos. The FL9s were NEVER New York Central units, but the Morristown & Erie saw fit to give one NYC Lightning stripes. However, the caverns of Grand Central Terminal are very familiar to the FL9s, and this unit should be right at home. These markers and plugs were added sometime in the mid 80s. I don't plan to model these details, sticking to the "as built" configuration.

[Image: IMG_1448.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1238.jpg]

The interior-

[Image: IMG_1237.jpg]

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 02-01-2014

eightyeightfan1 Wrote:A few years ago, I wanted CDOT commuter train(I live in Connecticut). Bought a couple of the Walthers Comet commuter cars and cab car, undecorated, (Walthers hadn't released the CDOT cars at the time)and a couple of sheets of Microscale "CDOT" decals. The next year, Walthers released the Comet cars in CDOT scheme. Go figure.

As far as the CDOT F40PH-2's. They are having a lot of problems with them breaking down. A couple of times CDOT had to send the FL-9's out to rescue them.

I've always liked the look of that red stripe. I remember seeing some of the M2/4/6 commuter cars under New Haven Catenary one time when I was going to a scout camp in Rhode Island. I've love to get some M2s if I could find any. The one company I know of that produced them no longer does.

I'm still mad that I lost the cab car bid. I'd rather have both or none, to bad you can't contact other people on Ebay. At least all I need now is a Cab Car.

[Image: P1310542.jpg]

[Image: P1310537.jpg]

Some prototype photos from Grand Central terminal-

CDOT Comet II cars are lined up on the left, and MTA Comet III and II cars on the right. Close inspection of both trains showed the "ghosts" of the old lettering as featured on my models.

[Image: IMG_1470.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1464.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1471.jpg]

A CDOT cab car... Might be a good idea to start with an Undec car, eightyeightfan! Gotta fill in that front window....

[Image: IMG_1452.jpg]

The Metro North/ MTA cab car-

[Image: IMG_1451.jpg]

The locomotives, old and new schemes. These P32AC-DMs directly replaced the FL9s not many years ago.

[Image: IMG_1468.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1467.jpg]

jwb Wrote:
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:There was a photo of an FL9 and a two car commuter train with this equipment, so I figured it was perfect, a real "pike sized" passenger train.
These sets also ran with the ex-MBTA F10s. I have an IHP F10 which I haven't done anything with, still undecided whether to do it as Metro North or MBTA.

If it were me, I'd go Metro North, no questions asked. That said, I did purchase an MBTA cab car many years ago to use as a parts source... but then I didn't have the heart to steal its trucks and wheels, so it sits unused.

[Image: P1310531.jpg]

[Image: P1310532.jpg]

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - eightyeightfan1 - 02-01-2014

Since my CDOT has been aquiring the Bombadier Bi Levels for the Litchfield Hills, I do have a Comet coach and cab car I'm willing to part with.

CDOT Bombadier Cab car Torrington passes Ore Hill on it's way east to Hartford, Ct.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 02-02-2014

A few more pictures of things I've been working on-

Amtrak 3400 series cafeteria lounge, "Le Pub" car: This one is a car I'm very excited about. These cars were all St. Louis Car Co US Army Ambulance cars. When the army retired the train, many of these cars ended up on Amtrak. Ten of them became these lounge cars. Reportedly, they were very popular with passengers. These cars were not previously available, and these car sides are custom.

I had to alter the sides a little, as one of the doorways was to wide. I've polished the plastic smooth, but the only way to know will be to paint it. I'm still looking for some of the vent details. The underbody might also be trouble, but i'll worry about that later.

[Image: P2020576.jpg]

[Image: P2020577.jpg]

I'm also trying to build a HEP car for my GG1s. GG1s and E60CPs were steam generator equipped, and needed HEP cars to power modern cars like Amfleets. The most common kind were made from ex Army Kitchen cars (from the same train as the ambulance train above), but kits of these cars are hard to find.

Brass Car Sides makes an "Overlay" compatible with Rivarossi cars. These car is an ex UP long distance coach, and it was converted to a HEP car sometime prior to Amtrak. Amtrak eventually had three of these ex-UP coaches in service as generator cars. The insides were gutted and replaced with a pair of diesel gen-sets.

The model requires a lot of work still, since I need to redo the car ends, and I need to figure out the roof details, and how to properly model the windows. Though these cars show up frequently in pictures, its hard to identify which car is which of the three. Furthermore, details seemed to change frequently on these cars.

[Image: P2020574.jpg]

[Image: P2020573.jpg]

Next are my NKP Car Co NJ DOT coaches. these are ex PRR coached, Exx 21 roomette sleepers. These models should be easier than this one was, but this was my first core kit. I have a second one of these cars, as well as a sleeper-lounge, using the metal sides offered by NKP Car Co.

[Image: P2020578.jpg]

[Image: P2020579.jpg]

Here are my two new GP40FH-2 shells. Not much more to say about these, other than they are an interesting shape!

[Image: P2020583.jpg]

lastly, a brief look at my SIRT car kit. I have all the windows and decals. Unfortunately, this model will need to be cleaned up quite a bit before it is ready.

[Image: P2020587.jpg]

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 02-09-2014

I need to weather this thing, and add some more details. I could probably use thin wire to make the Reading's characteristic rain gutters, but I don't think I have the proper horns on hand. I need to study the photos for additional details, since I'm sure I don't have everything. Does anyone have any roof shots of the Reading Company GP30s?

Incidentally, I need to buff that catenary wire! This is why i'm trying to avoid steel wire... though the steel is for stronger than anything else. I'm told straight lengths of Phosphur Bronze are better than the coils I'm using, so I might try replacing this steel wire with some of that. Tichy sells them, which is convenient since they also sell the catenary insulator castings I use.

[Image: P1280519.jpg]

Also, it looks like my Ex-LV GP18 picture went away! here are some more shots of it-

[Image: P1280501.jpg]

[Image: P1280521.jpg]

[Image: P1280506.jpg]

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 02-11-2014

I made some more progress with my passenger core kits.

NJ DOT commuter cars-

4437 Snack Bar Lounge, ex New York Central:

this was a union station products car-side. I actually mostly finished the sides a while ago, but only now did I build it up into a body. I have the trucks for it, but I'm still looking for the right roof-vent details, as well as trying to figure out what the right underbody parts might be. I have a diagram that came with the car-side, but the parts I have don't necessarily match what I've seen.

The roof part is giving me trouble as well. As usual, its not perfectly flat. Still, it is removeable, and hopefully I can add an interior and lights to show it off!

[Image: P2110635.jpg]

The prototype 4437 currently resides at the Cape May Seashore Lines-

[Image: IMG_0899.jpg]

Some interior shots of a restored car of the same class at Grand Central Terminal. Unfortunately, the car was packed with people, making it difficult to get a photo. The "snack bar" end was a fenced off area next to a small kitchen, on the vestibule end. The lounge section was opposite the vestibule end.

[Image: IMG_1282.jpg]

[Image: IMG_1280.jpg]

PC/NJ DOT 2167, ex Louisville & Nashville fluted side AC&F 60 seat coach-

NJ DOT bought a few of these unusual coaches to help keep the PC's commuter trains running. These were unusual in that AC&F produced few fluted-side cars. They were also unusual in that at least one of them was painted in PC Dark Green (I suspect some others were silver). 2167 is one of those green cars. I figure that will make things interesting.

The car sides are Laser Horizons, but the fluting is special made from Union Station products.

[Image: P2110632.jpg]

Here is a prototype photo, this is probably the best close-up shot i've seen of one of these cars. I spot them in the background frequently enough, but its difficult to get pictures. I'm also hunting for the underbody layout so that i can try to accurately model it.

[Image: Coach-2167-ex-L&N-Elizabeth-NJ_5_76Edited.jpg]

NJ DOT 1500 series coach, ex PRR 21-roomette sleeper.

The PRR transformed a lot of these cars into high-capacity coaches in the late 60s, and almost all of them were assigned to the NJ DOT for a time before being dispersed to several other commuter lines. Many of these are still rolling around.

The car sides are by NKP Car Co. The one pictured below is my second car. The first one was pictured above, but I had to demolish it. Fortunately, it came apart easily and no parts were permanently damaged. I had tried to make it so that the body shell screwed into the floor, but this wasn't working out. I'm rebuilding it so that the floor, ends and sides are one piece, and the roof is removable instead.

The Train Station Products "sub-sides" are also very useful for these kits, and so I will use one of those as soon as I order an extra for it.

[Image: P2110634.jpg]

Here are some prototype photos of 1547, a car currently owned and restored by the URHS at Boontoon, New Jersey.

[Image: IMG_0178.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0266.jpg]

[Image: IMG_0267.jpg]

Last but not least, an Amtrak car i'm working on, the "Nutmeg State", an ex New Haven Pullman Sleeper-lounge. I've spotted this car, and cars like it, on the Broadway Limited occaisionally in photos and other reccords, so I figured I'd model it. Besides, there does not appear to be a readily available quality Sleeper-Lounge type car, so this was pretty much my only option for this class of passenger car.

The main challenger here will be removing the skirts. These car sides are by NKP Car Co, and they're a little tough to work with when it comes to curving the skirts. In any event, Amtrak removed the skirts anyway (but kept all the name boards, fortunately), so I'll have to remove these skirts some how as well. I think I'll make a rough cut with a dremel tool, and then use a big file to take it down.

I'll use masking tape as a guide to prevent me from cutting to close to the side, and so that should keep everything smooth. Luckily, this car is in my Amtrak Plan and Data manual, and so I can not only build the interior properly, but I have a good diagram of the underbody locations of various parts and things.

[Image: P2100630.jpg]

The prototype still exists as a business car, currently for sale-

[Image: 131_28.jpg]

I still have a few more car-sides to do, and I'll probably post them shortly.

As a final bit of news, I finally finished that Arrow I mold using JWB's loaned Arrow. I'll pull it out tomorrow, clean it up, and get it ready to ship back to its home. It only took me 2 years finish it! I'll try and make a few more MUs, but i think I'll try to use the mold to make the Comet IB cars as well. Only time will tell how well the casts will come out of this mold.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Mileswestern - 02-11-2014

I'm really liking your continued adventures into resin kits & car sides. I'm also still amused that after all these years, you're still playing with your original 4x8! Misngth

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 02-12-2014

Mileswestern Wrote:I'm really liking your continued adventures into resin kits & car sides. I'm also still amused that after all these years, you're still playing with your original 4x8! Misngth

Adventures is right! A friend of mine wanted a video of how to put together an Union Station Products kit.... That became a disaster! I don't feel under pressure on film, but its hard to keep everything in frame and do my model right at the same time!

I ended up damaging the side of my Ex-Rock Island 8-6 sleeper (part of my Amtrak Broadway Limited train) while trying to fix a joint that shifted while I was gluing it! I put a big tear in one of the doors, and so I shut the camera off.

Fortunately, I managed to fill in and polish the tear with some Squadron Green putty. It looks good in the sunlight, but only a good paint job will reveal how well I did.

Anyways, I might still post the video on Youtube, since I did get pretty far into the build, and so it should be a little cohesive.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 02-14-2014

eightyeightfan1 Wrote:Since my CDOT has been aquiring the Bombadier Bi Levels for the Litchfield Hills, I do have a Comet coach and cab car I'm willing to part with.

Eightyeightfan1's Comet II cars arrived yesterday in the middle of the storm, and the UPS guy's truck got stuck in front of our house. He mentioned in PM that they'd need work, and he wasn't kidding!

Fortunately, I was able to clear them up without to much effort. The cab car was pretty covered in questionable crud, and the axles were rusted. I have access to spare wheelsets, so i replaced them. the crud came off with some careful attention from a damp tissue, without harming the decals.

In fact, it was the coach that required more careful attention. It seems that a bit of glue on one of the vestibule ends were interfering with the body seating properly on the floor. I used a sharp knife to break away this excess glue, and the frame went into place nicely.

I might make some adjustments. In particular, it seems like most of the CDOT cab cars I've seen have only two front windows, the engineer and the end door windows. This would require some filling and sanding, and probably repainting the end of the car. I have seen photos of some Metro North cab cars with all the windows, but I'll have to keep looking to see if the CDOT cars were always missing this window.

Technically, all cab cars (SEPTA, NJT, etc) are also missing a small window on the engineer's side on the other end of the carbody, but Walthers left these in place. I'll probably leave these alone.

In any event, these CDOT cars are promising, and I can probably have them running reliably after a few hours at the club. here are some photos-

Cab Car 1693 pushes into the station-

[Image: P2130671.jpg]

This really makes a good short commuter train.

[Image: P2130666.jpg]

[Image: P2130673.jpg]

Cab Car "Yankee Clipper"

[Image: P2130685.jpg]

Coach "The Connecticut River"

[Image: P2130686.jpg]

In other news, I began work and finished another core kit body, this time an ex-CRI&P 8-6 sleeper. These were refurbished by Amtrak and placed on trains like the broadway limited. I have a book and a photo that reccords the #2552 "Brooklyn Bridge" on the Broadway Limited's New York section during the 1970s. This car was retired in the early 80s, but it is fine for my late 70s time period.

I did make a video of me assembling the car, but I need to edit it together. Things went wrong pretty early in, and I actually tore the side a little. I was able to fill it in and polish it with putty, though i'm not sure its totally flat. I'm hoping that when I paint it, that it won't look to weird, especially since I plan to Alclad it.

For now, here are some pictures of that-

[Image: P2120645.jpg]

Not the best photo, but a quick one-

[Image: P2130699.jpg]

Finally, I'm almost able to demold JWB's Arrow I. I ran into to difficulty since the inside of the mold did not harden as fast as it should have. It feels harder now then it did, but I'm going to let it sit a little longer before I try to remove it. If the inside mold isn't going to hold up, then I will have to do it all over again!