GEC's Layout Progress - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Mainline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: HO Modeling (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: GEC's Layout Progress (/showthread.php?tid=108)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - jwb - 02-14-2014

GEC, are those CDOT shots all on your 4 x 8? RUN THAT THING INTO THE GROUND, GUY! and beyond!!

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - eightyeightfan1 - 02-15-2014

Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:This really makes a good short commuter train.

[Image: P2130666.jpg]

[Image: P2130673.jpg]

Protypically, that was Metro North's consist on the Waterbury Branch, cab car, one coach and usually FL-9 #2032.
That's what I had originally envisioned on my layout, but insted of terminating in Waterbury, it would continue up the old New Haven RR's Naugatuck Line and terminate in Torrington with a stop in Thomaston.
Today, a GP40PH-2 usually is the motive power, but on occasion, you can catch the AMD 103 in "reverse McGuiness" paint heading up the Waterbury Branch(always when I don't have a camera). FL-9 #2032 now calls the Naugatuck Valley Railroad museum home.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 02-19-2014

An awful road bump

All of this snow has caused the building my family business was in to collapse. It was a surplus WW2 quonset hut, and the weight of the snow brought it down after standing since the early 1950s. I'm still trying to find a laboratory job, so it looks like for now I'm out of a job.

The scary part was that I was in there all day Saturday, and kept hearing crazy noises. The building fell not long after we closed up Saturday night. Even scarier, it seems like the building came down quickly. I worry that if I had been there, would I even have been able to react in time? Fortunately, you could still stand up in most of the areas we work in, and the endless crates of WW2 Surplus parts that appeared to be wasting space probably would have saved the lives of anyone in the building, since they held the roof up once it fell.

JWB Arrow I cloning Project

The good news today is that I got JWB's arrow I kit molded. I was able to demold it yesterday. I still need to clean some of the clay off the body shell, but the mold came out PERFECTLY with no bubbles or imperfections!

Of course, the next challenge will be making a good cast, but I just bought a whole new set of resin, so I should be clear on that one. I'm just glad that after having JWB's model for almost two years, I can send it back (having other people's things for to long gives me a lot anxiety).

I haven't forgotten my part of the deal either, gotta put some pantographs together. The other alternative is to pick up some Metroliner pantographs as spare parts. I'm leaning in that direction, since at least these are done right. No pantograph I could make will ever be as good as something Walthers mass-produces.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - jwb - 02-19-2014

The Metroliner version is fine with me, if you can get it. Very sorry to hear about your family business, hope it can be picked up again!

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 02-21-2014

Metroliners are the best thing to happen to Electric Trains

They may be individually expensive, but the parts available off of them are not.

I went to go order the pantographs for My arrows (and JWB's), and instead of $20 or even $45 prices I've seen for most separate sale Pantographs, these were selling for $10. Needless to say, I picked up enough to start equipping my Arrows and Silverliners. Its important to remember that the "stemman" type pantographs made by walthers are the ONLY mass produced version of this pantograph ever made, so it is a relief that I won't have to construct a huge number of them.

It gets BETTER.

The best part n is that the entire Metroliner drive train, (motor and power truck), only costs $45, and i've clocked my Metroliner set reaching 110 scale mph!

The next best choice for a drive, the NWSL Stanton drive, only goes ~60 MPH and costs $90.

The numbers speak for themselves!

I will test my Metroliner MU to see how well it can pull dummy cars (i'll hook up some of my Comet commuter cars to it), and see how well it pulls. The only issue here will be the wheel diameter. The Arrows and Silverliner run on 33" wheels (and their trucks have 33" wheels), but the prototype Metroliner appears to have 36" wheels. Since my Metroliners are still at my club, I'll have to measure them tomorrow.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 02-27-2014

My Walthers Proto pantographs arrived in the mail today. These are the General Electric "Faively" single armed type (used on my Arrow IIs and all Silverliners), and the double armed Stemman typed (used on the ArrowIs and Arrow IIIs).

I also recently ordered some bachmann "E33" pantographs, as they appear to be appropriate for my Reading Company MUs.

In the case of the Stemman pantographs, this is pretty exciting since this is the first time these pantographs have been offered as a mass produced part. Imperial Hobby Productions made a few short runs of these pantographs, but they were often questionable (either unstable, or undersized).

One of the difficulties though, will be mounting these pantographs to the models correctly. While they are meant to be screwed into place through the dead center of the pantograph, It appears that these pantographs are wider than what the IHP kits are designed to accept (the metal pantograph off the HO scale bachmann Metroliners of the 1970s and 80s)

I might be able to cut and splice the outside edges of the pantographs to be thinner without harming the function of the pantograph, but it will be challenging. The other option is to move the mounting platforms on the models outwards, but some kits, such as my Arrow Is, have the platforms molded in place, so this won't be an option.

Ultimately, I'm hoping that I can keep everything consistent. I plan to experiment by installing one of each type of pantograph on to an Arrow II and Arrow III married pair. At least then I might be able to figure out if the model looks to weird with unmodified pantographs.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 03-28-2014

I had some time to tinker this week, so I worked on a few projects-

Amtrak ex PRR twin unit diners-

These got somewhat damaged by paint late last year, and when I stripped the paint off, the plastic was etched, making Alclad pretty much impossible to use. I attempted to polish the sides, but I didn't really get the results I wanted.

I have instead tried "bare metal foil", with limited success. It is essentially a very thin metallic foil, and it is an alternative to metalizing paints. I ended up wasting quite a bit of it because i didn't understand how to smooth it out, and once I learned, I made the further mistake of trying to use two separate pieces to make my life easier (it just left a visible overlap seem). Ultimately, the color I picked looked great in the store, but doesn't seem right on the model.

I'll probably have to rip it all off, but the foil seems like a good technique, and I think I'll try a more chrome foil next time. Live and learn!

These diners are a very important part of my New York Section of the Broadway Limited (not to mention they were expensive and are hard to come by!) So I am glad that the foil seems effective. I even tested some on the roof, which is fluted, and the foil did well pressing into the fluted ribs!

NJ DOT E8 #4253

I started trying to paint the body shell. I did a very, VERY good job polishing the shell after removing all the molded on rivets and battens, but for some reason, my Platinum mist paint didn't seem as silver as it normally does. Instead, I will use Polly Scale "Old Silver", (or maybe new silver), to paint the body.

Then, as DoctorWayne suggested, I'll mask this all off and spray the model dark blue. I might do some detail prep before I paint, but I'm happy I'm getting this E8 project moving again after having it sit so long.

NJ DOT GP7 #5681, ex CNJ 1523

I've also got one of my NJ DOT GP7s on its way now. I have two GP7s to do, so i'm trying to learn from the first one before I start on the second. There have been some challenges in representing a CNJ GP7.

one major spotting feature of the CNJ GP7s are the "light cabinents" on the long hood end. Custom Finishing made castings for these, but they are designed for the Atlas GP7, not the Proto 2000 GP7s i'm using. This means I've had to do some filling with styrene and puddy in order to properly install these castings.

As they were, they would "lean back" to far, and they wouldn't be straight across.

Another challenge was installing the CNJ marker castings I have, since I'm doing this only with the photos of the prototype I have.

Currently in the mail are some Plano Details GP7 intake screens and slats, which will look really cool compared to the cast on details of the Proto GP7. I have similar details coming in for my ex-LV GP18, but it already has see thru screens and slats, just not as nice as the Plano ones.

It looks like I still need to get some small body louvers, spark arrestors, cab-top smoke deflectors, radio antenna, Leslie A-200 horns, and potentially some truck and underframe details.

I'm also going to have to scratchbuild this mystery box on the deck, and modifiy a three-strap Cab Signal box to fit. I'm also going to have to get creative over the bell on the nose.

Because i'm all over, I forgot to take pictures of the GP7. I'll probably take them sometime soon, along with newere pictures of my ex-LV GP18, which I am working on side by side with these GP7s.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 03-28-2014

Here are photos of the 1523 and 1524 for you CNJ people out there!

This is 1523, the actual prototype. I didn't realize I was modeling 1523 until after I had already settled on its long ago Conrail number, #5681. It is fortunate then, that this unit survives in nearly the same configuration as it did on NJ DOT, not more than an hour and a half away.

[Image: P9020496.jpg]

[Image: P9020504.jpg]

The blunt end is very visible here. It seems to be flush all the way across, though this might be difficult to achieve on the model.

[Image: P9020505.jpg]

One challenge will be these details here. Not every CNJ GP7 had this arrangement. Many had the cab signal box below the deck, but the generic square box is a mystery even to my friends who operate this locomotive.

One interesting note, it looks like the handrail stanchion is moved back slightly to make room for the cab signal box. Since I doubt I can "cut and paste" those plastic hand rails, I'll either have to ignore this, or get the Smokey Valley Hand rail kits.

[Image: P9020497.jpg]

1523 appears to have a speed recorder on the front axle on the left side, a detail I think I have, but I'll have to check my parts drawer.

[Image: P9020498.jpg]

I was able to climb with a little more freedom on 1524, also owned by the URHS, though this one is based in Boontoon NJ up north, instead of Tuckahoe down south on the old PRSL. It was difficult to get a good picture of it with all the people around!

Also note that NJ DOT 4253, my planned HO scale E8, also survives at boontoon, and in its NJ DOT paint no less! The blue looks a little wrong, but its good enough for me!

1524 was also a NJ DOT veteran, numbered 5902 on Conrail/NJ DOT. It was one of the earlier units painted in to the silver "disco stripe" NJ Transit scheme some time in late 1980/early 1981. 1524 was also the first red CNJ GP7, repainted from the green and gold to the red baron (or coast guard) scheme in 1972.

[Image: P9221092.jpg]

[Image: P9221183.jpg]

Because 1524 was open for tours, I got to take some up-close pictures of some of the details.

A view out the cab!

[Image: P9221149.jpg]

[Image: P9221146.jpg]

[Image: P9221145.jpg]

Another NJ DOT Veteran is visible in the background, GG1 #4879. This was one of the very last operational GG1s, along with 4877 (present but not visible in the photo) and I think 4882. These three were officially retired at the end of October, 1983. 4879 is in rough shape, still in its well worn NJ DOT paint, but it will eventually sport the PRR's single stripe paint scheme with the large keystone.

[Image: P9221147.jpg]

Normally, I wouldn't care so much about the shudder details on a geep, but after having seen these GP7s in person, I can see that it might be a worthwhile detail to invest in, while I'm cutting the models open-

[Image: P9221219.jpg]

The unusual bell and marker lights are very prominent in this view of 1524.

[Image: P9221216.jpg]

The pilots on the Proto 2000 "passenger" GP7 model are pretty good, but they don't match this pilot. I'm going to have to do sum cutting and sanding...

[Image: P9221214.jpg]

The marker light housing appear to be mounted on a piece of metal welded to the body. The ends tend to be white, with the sides showing what looks like amber. Shortline Products makes these specific details in HO.

[Image: P9221166.jpg]

[Image: P9221160.jpg]

[Image: P9221164.jpg]

The Bell might be a problem. No commerical castings look like this mount. That said, Custom Finishing sells a GP7 nose-bell part. The bell and the bracket are separate parts, and so I might be able to make a styrene bracket to match the prototype, and use the bell from the kit. It sure looks simple enough!

[Image: P9221161.jpg]

[Image: P9221162.jpg]

One minor detail that can be potentially easily done are these louvers on the short hood. I can only assume they were railroad specific for the GP7's steam generator, since the model doesn't have these specific ones. Plano makes switcher louvers that I bet match perfectly. The extra louvers appear on both sides of the short hood.

[Image: P9221159.jpg]

I hope you enjoyed this somewhat detailed look at CNJ's GP7s

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - BR60103 - 03-29-2014

GEC:
from the photo thread, you were talking about power units <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://hollywoodfoundry.com/#bullant">http://hollywoodfoundry.com/#bullant</a><!-- m --> makes underfloor or something units. Seem expensive, remember the price is in Australian $$ (I think).

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 03-29-2014

BR60103 Wrote:GEC:
from the photo thread, you were talking about power units <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://hollywoodfoundry.com/#bullant">http://hollywoodfoundry.com/#bullant</a><!-- m --> makes underfloor or something units. Seem expensive, remember the price is in Australian $$ (I think).

They actually contacted me once, but they also told me that I couldn't get the kind of high speed performance I wanted from their drives. I might be forced into using them anyway, but I might wait a little longer.

I might have to buy a Bull-ant to experiment with.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - e-paw - 03-30-2014

Nice shots of 1532/1524.. Did 1524 still have the dual control stands or were they removed? As for the bell, Stewart uses a similar one on it's AS 616/416's , you would just have to add the triangle shaped sides and the airline on top.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 03-30-2014

e-paw Wrote:Nice shots of 1532/1524.. Did 1524 still have the dual control stands or were they removed? As for the bell, Stewart uses a similar one on it's AS 616/416's , you would just have to add the triangle shaped sides and the airline on top.

Unfortunately, there were a lot of people crammed into the cab of 1524 that day, and I didn't get a picture of the "long hood front" control stand. That said, it was still there, but it has a label that says "Control Stand permanently retired" on it. I imagine this is a cost saving measure. When this was done, I don't know.

My guess is that NJ Transit disconnected that control stand when they relegated the GP7s to work train service. I would be curious to see if 1523 is the same way.

Here is a pic someone else managed to grab that same day. <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPicture.aspx?id=3676304">http://rrpicturearchives.net/showPictur ... id=3676304</a><!-- m -->

As for the bell, the Stewart part might be an option, but I might experiment chopping up some thin sheet styrene. I also have some thin metal sheet that might be a little more robust. I figure I only have to make two of these things. thanks to the broad-side picture, is should be able to get the proportions right.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - jwb - 03-31-2014

Check out this <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/247-246">http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/247-246</a><!-- m -->

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 03-31-2014

jwb Wrote:Check out this <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/247-246">http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/247-246</a><!-- m -->

Those are the ones I bought originally. Unfortunately, I couldn't bend it to fit. Luckily though, the bells are separate parts, so I'll just make my own bell support, and use the bell casting from the kit.

Anyways, here are some pictures-

NJ DOT/ CNJ GP7s # 5681 and ????

Apart from the bell, the more "obvious" CNJ spotting features are applied to this one. I plan to model this one first, and then either take lots of video or pictures of the second one being built, which I think might be neat.

[Image: P3301521.jpg]

[Image: P3301519.jpg]

[Image: P3301512.jpg]

A typical CNJ/Conrail commuter train would be populated with many former western railroad long distance coaches, such as these GN 44 seat AC&F cars, which are exact matches to the kind CNJ used (they only need patches and NJ DOT decals)

[Image: P3301504.jpg]

Here is a close up of the long hood end. Custom Finishing makes these metal castings. They are designed for the Atlas GP7, which is sloped back more so than the P2K model. This was noticeable by eye, and would probably look bad in photos, so i had to shift the castings so that the ends were straight across.

I instead glued the "center" edges as close to flush as possible with the end of the body shell, and then slid in some styrene sheet. I filled the gaps with squadron puddy.

the "sides" of the castings don't seem like they poke out as far and look fine. Worst case scenariom I file down the sides of the castings and polish them, and add brass Plano EMD latches in place of the molded in ones.

The Shortline products class lights weren't to difficult to apply, though I might want to get a few fresh #17 blades next time, since shaving off the original class lights was a little tricky.

[Image: P3301508.jpg]

Here is the other problem, the cab signal box. If you compare the model to the photograph above, it seems clear that the CNJ adjusted its handrails slightly to make space.

The triple-strap cab signal box i have by Detail associates is a little large to fit in this space. Its also to large to fit under the deck. I know some other manufacturers make the cab signal box, and perhaps they are smaller.

I'll first try to shorten the cab signal box slightly, so that it can fit under the deck piece.

The handrail might require some fancy gluing, or I might even just use metal handrails. If there is enough space to fit the cab signal box, and leave the handrail, I'll just accept that slight inaccuracy.

Otherwise, this is straight forward, I'll just cut a hole in the side of the shell. The deck is solid beneath it, so i shouldn't have to add any stryene or anything.

[Image: P3301514.jpg]

You can see that the box doesn't fit under the deck piece, but only barely

[Image: P3301518.jpg]

Right now, I'm just waiting on the intake grills, and I plan to make a trip to Sattlers this week to see if they have any of the other detail parts I need instock.

NJDOT E8s #4253 and ????

Just like my GP7s, I have two P2k E8s. The E8s tended to run in pairs, and would normally swap trains with GG1s at South Amboy for the trip south to Bay Head NJ, on the New York & Long Branch. That said, these E8s could occasionally be seen pulling a train on the NEC, either in place of a GP40P or for whatever reason they were needed.

The first one will be #4253, thought I am unsure how I will paint or number the next one. Ideally, I would like the details to reflect an ex EL unit if possible.

I gave 4253 a coat of Platinum mist, which is the typical silver paint used by Amtrak, NJ Transit, and other "silver" trains. It is a little gray, and I'm not sure if Platinum mist is the exact silver they used on these E8s.

I might try and paint it a different silver, such as Floquil old silver, and then see how it looks. Ultimately, this locomotive will be largely dark blue, as the silver is only a stripe down the sides.

Ultimately, because of the nature or the stripe, I need to paint the model before I install all the details, because the strips cut through the front "lift hooks" installed by the PRR on this particular unit.

However, the other reason I gave it a coat of paint was to look for imperfections, and I was VERY suprised.

It seems as though only one area had scrapes I didn't like, and you can't even see them in the photo. The sides are totally smooth and the doors and windows filled in perfectly. This was my biggest fear in modeling these units, because I was concerned that I wouldn't be able to achieve such a smooth surface!

[Image: P3301531.jpg]

[Image: P3301528.jpg]

[Image: P3301527.jpg]

Most NJ DOT E8s were rebuilt by the Illinois Central's Paducah shops, which is why the front doors and side windows and panels were removed, being replaced with a solid side.

A one (#4248) retained its side pannels, though its windows and front door were still blanked out. This one ended up leased to Metro North, running DIESEL powered trains into Grand Central Terminal. Apparently, one or two diesels down there didn't suck all the oxygen out of the terminal, but I'm sure it filled the whole place with diesel smoke.

#4248 is the one I'm considering as the second E8. 4267 seems to be frequently paired with 4253 in photos, but it has a variation of the stripe scheme that most found unattractive.

There were actually a wide variety of E8s on the New York and Long Branch. On top of the NJ DOT ones, you could find Conrail E8s leased to NJ DOT in every imaginable paint scheme, as well as the US DOT E8, a former B&O unit, also leased to NJ DOT.

It makes one wonder if its better to match the paint schemes, or to go for more variety?

Conrail Ex-LV GP18 #7499

I haven't really accomplished anything new with this unit, but I think my other pictures got broke.

Incidentally, I found some reccomendations on achieving the proper "Lehigh Valley" red used by the railroad's later locomotives, since most LV Cornell red paints don't match.

I'll probably add the new fancy intakes and a few other details that need to be installed prior to painting, and then give it a good coat of red paint.

The only serious challenge now is going to be cutting the fuel tank back. This area also cuts through the motor mount locations, so this might be difficult. I could just leave it alone, but I know it can be done since I saw a guy model a different ex-LV GP18. If only I could remember how he told me he did it!

[Image: P3301533.jpg]

[Image: P3301534.jpg]

So, here is the whole crew! Between these and all my MU car projects, I'm going to be busy!

[Image: P3301535.jpg]

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 04-01-2014

Not quite my own layout progress, but I find interesting things buried at the diesel shop I work at... While moving crates to rebuild the place, I found some EMD locomotive parts! These are WWII era surplus parts... These have been sealed for the past ~60-70 years! I guess these EMDs never caught on in marine applications.

[Image: P3291502.jpg]

e-paw Wrote:Nice shots of 1532/1524.. Did 1524 still have the dual control stands or were they removed? As for the bell, Stewart uses a similar one on it's AS 616/416's , you would just have to add the triangle shaped sides and the airline on top.

It turns out that 1523 also has both its control stands, but with the same one "out of service".