GEC's Layout Progress - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Mainline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: HO Modeling (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: GEC's Layout Progress (/showthread.php?tid=108)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 09-25-2014

BR60103 Wrote:Ha! it's nice to see the Americans having to buy Canadian cars painted for their local road. For years we had to make do with American (or even British) stock pretemding to be Canadian.

Where's the Model Transit show?

Its at Rutgers University in New Brunswick, NJ. Here are the details, its on October 11.

<!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.nycmodeltransit.org/meetdetails.htm">www.nycmodeltransit.org/meetdetails.htm</a><!-- w -->

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - kamerad47 - 09-26-2014

Due they get a lot of people with that admission fee!!!!!

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 09-26-2014

kamerad47 Wrote:Due they get a lot of people with that admission fee!!!!!

Actually, yes. Its ALWAYS packed in there. I'm 99% sure its the only convention like it, catering to the commuter rail, Trolley, and Bus hobbies. It is absolutely worth it if thats what you're into (like I am). I'm going as part of an operating layout, so I've been getting in free lately.

You'll almost definitely find some good NJ Transit stuff there.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 10-02-2014

I HAVE THE COOLEST THING EVER OF ALL TIME!!!!!!!!

If Rivet counting just isn't enough, just find a Train Dispatcher Sheet! Its the closest thing to being there in person, or time traveling! Now I can model a "prototype day".

I picked up an Amtrak New York Division Train Dispatcher sheet for Monday, June 4, 1979. This is pretty much a perfect fit for what I wanted to model! Though I had originally decided on July, June 4 is still on the same Timetable and General order as all my other data and research i've been developing, so it works!

It reccords every train that travelled between Shell Interlocking (New Rochelle, New York), and Union Interlocking (Rahway, New Jersey), and what track it was on. It gives the train number, and the lead locomotive/car. On the freight consists, it gives the whole locomotive consist, and how many cars were in that train. It also lists the weather that day (Rainy, in the upper 60s!)

I haven't gone through the whole thing, but some of the highlights were that #4935, the PRR painted GG1, was on the eastbound Broadway Limited that morning, and the Circus train was traveling westward behind a pair of Conrail GG1s that day.

The sheet lists lots of "Extras" and things that wouldn't normally show up in a Timetable and would have been difficult to research or learn about otherwise, such as light engine moves and other unusual occurrences.

Another thing useful to me was that it listed several Amtrak trains operating with Jersey Arrow II equipment. I went out of my way to get some Arrow II cars in HO specially made for me, but then I realize that after 1978, Amtrak more or less leased the whole fleet of those cars (NJ DOT filled the holes with additional Arrow III, brand new at that time). Amtrak tended to assign these to trains in Maryland and between Philadelphia and Harrisburg, and I was concerned that these cars were no longer making appearances in the Garden State. To this day, I have not found any photos of Arrow IIs in New Jersey after 1978 but before October 1979.

However, this sheet alleviated that fear. As it turns out, there were SEVERAL trains equipped with Arrow IIs, including some off-peak Clockers, as well as the former train #42, the "Valley Forge", which appears to be a New York-Harrisburg run similar to today's Keystone service.

What I will do, is add these locomotives and road numbers to my master "schedule spreadsheet" in Excel, so I can see what specific equipment was where, and make it that much more detailed!

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - acelaphillies - 10-19-2014

Wow, that's pretty neat! Where did you manage to find that?

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 11-07-2014

Ugh, I finally get a job where I can afford some nice trains, and now I have no time!

In fact, I don't even know where to update this thread.

I guess I'll start with the longer running projects-

Jersey Arrow I

I was able to find a 4th car for $20! This is a good catch since these things are long out of production (at least a decade), and they started at $109 when they were new.

The story is a good one, since I found it at the Model Trolley & Transit Modeler's Convention a month ago. I had just come back to my Electrified modular display after not really finding some of the major things I was looking for, and decided I probably wasn't going to find anything else. I was just about to settle down on my Reading Company module when I looked up and saw a silver car sitting with some models for sale, that hadn't been there before.

Sure enough, it was a Jersey Arrow! I asked the guy selling it, he wanted $20! That was a quick sell! What is really interesting, was that it was already finished, and i'm 99% sure this was one of the display models that IHP usually brought to shows like this one. When he discontinued his resin line, he sold off a lot of this stuff. You would think most of it would dissapper into unamed collections, but I managed to find it!

As for my other 3 Arrow I kits- The paint on the ends didn't go on well for some cars, so i'm debating whether or not I should try to repaint them. Unfortunately, there are no more warm days, and it might be difficult to get a dust free finish over the winter, so these might have to wait, which is a shame since they are easy to assemble and I could have them running as soon as I get power trucks for them.

Staten Island Rapid Transit R44 "subway" cars-

Another nice find at the Mass Transit modeler's convention was a set of the R44 subway car shells. These are what is currently in use on the Staten Island Rapid Transit (I also have a resin model of the original "ME-1" subway cars from the SIRT). These run in "A-B-B-A" sets of 4 cars, and I managed to snag 4 A cars and 2 B cars. If I can find another pair of B cars, i'll be set for two trains!

I'm not really looking to break into Subway modeling, but these cars are special in that some of my earliest memories of trains are of these cars, since much of my family lives on Staten Island.

On the other hand, the SIRT would make a great rapid transit layout, since almost all of it runs above ground, and its essentially just a double track mainline. They also use B&O style position lights which is interesting. For many years (until fairly recently), they used Alco S type switchers for work trains and had a fleet of cabooses. The only real problem modeling the SIRT is a lack of models and decals (the R44 Shells are out there, but they never made frames for them).

R44 Prototype info-

As subway cars go, these have a slightly more interesting history than some. These were the last rail cars ever built by the St. Louis Car Company. When the last car was delivered, they shut down operations in early 1973.

The R44s also held the world speed record for a Subway Car, reaching 87 MPH before their test track on the Long Island Railroad ran out. In service however, the cars were limited to 55 MPH. They originally were in service on the Staten Island Rapid Transit (SIRT) and the "B" Division of the New York City Subway, however these cars reportedly did not do well in the New York City Subway. As a result, most from the B division were scrapped and a few went on to join the remaining R44s on the SIRT.

These cars bumped many of the oldest "green" 1930s era NYC subway cars such as the R1s and R4s from service

Ex CNJ GP40P Project

I've lucked out here, I was able to find an older brass model by OMI and pick it up. These GP40Ps were a major part of the NEC operations where I model, and so I'm glad to finally have one.

This doesn't mean I won't still try and finish my kitbashed one, but it is nice to have a "reference' model. It appears to be a 1989 "NJ Transit" version. I notice not all the details are as correct as they are on the later 2004 run of these diesels, but these discrepancies are so minor that I'm not that concerned. The model appeared to have some repair marks and minor damage (broken solder joints), but thats fine with me, since I'll be repainting, and possibly detailing this thing anyway. I bought it to operate!

My big concern will be painting it. The paint job on these is pretty simple, some C&O (Maybe B&O) blue, and a yellow side sill, with yellow chevrons on the ends. Conrail road numbers and NJ DOT logos are on hand.

The main issue is that my airbrush has been acting up (its not putting down a smooth coat). Also an issue, is that I have to paint some "patches" on the sides were the CNJ letters would be. I actually have a set of CNJ GP40P decals, but these are very rare and I'm not sure I want to use them on this model where they will be "patched over".

In the end though, this is one of my major "Must Haves", up there with my E44s and my Arrows. I can now say I have a representative roster of locomotives and MU cars for the NEC during the time that I model. Since these locomotives almost exclusively hauled the "Jersey Builder" trains (arguably, the most brightly colored NJ commuter train ever), they won't go unnoticed!

A few more electrics

With a little extra room in my budget, I managed to snatch an Alco Models New York Central T3A boxcab, as well as a PRR B1 switcher boxcab electric.

The T3 has been a problem in terms of powering it. Its spring belts are not good transmission devices! However, I've been trying to adapt a sprocket and chain for the drive instead. The only problem so far has been that the drive shafts are too small for the sprockets (I must have misread something!), so i'm trying to use styrene tube to make sprocket's hole smaller. Then i can drill out the styrene as necessary to press the sprockets onto the shafts. If this works, I should be able to at least keep the wheels turning (I might need to shift the weight and other adjustments to keep the traction up).

The model is beautifully painted, so I hope it does not become a "shelf queen".

On the other hand, my Alco PRR B1 switcher runs surprisingly well and quietly (older brass models, particularly Alco Models, have a bad reputation for being poor, loud runners). I plan to paint this one up as either 4751 (the last operating B1), or 4756 (the last surviving B1, at RR Museum of PA).

Neither of these survived into Conrail, the B1 being retired around 1974, and the T-motor being transferred to Amtrak by Conrail on April 1, 1976, who as far as I know, never used it. However, both were used as coach yard switchers at Sunnyside Yard in New York in the end, and the T-motors were the workhorses of the NYC electric fleet, until the P-motors moved in many years later.

GG1 shuffling

I recently picked up two Additional GG1s, a Broadway Limited and an MTH. The former was an Amtrak model identical to one I owned. I renumbered and repatched it for Conrail as #4867. The MTH GG1 I got at a ridiculously low price, but it appears to be 100% intact and functional, even for an MTH. It is painted in the Bloody Nose Scheme like that in my Avatar photo, #924. 924 will need some High air intakes, and there may be complications repainting the model if I choose to remove the cast on metal intakes, but I'll cross that bridge when I come to it.

My first MTH GG1, a conrail unit, I had originally numbered as 4867, but I could not get it to play nice with the BLI GG1s (different speeds). I renumbered the old 4867 to 4872, one of the NJ DOT commuter GG1s. This works out nicely since this gives me two NJ DOT GG1s, the other being 4883. Since these engines don't have to run in multiple to pull commuter trains, it eliminates any speed matching complications.

Reading MU care Update

I did some work on my EPa type "green car" Reading Company MUs to make them somewhat presentable for the New Jersey Layout Design & Operations SIG meet. unfortunately, they did not do well in transit to the show, despite careful packing. Still, once I make some windows for the other cars and make some final decisions about decaling these cars, I should have a nice fleet of 6 such MU cars soon. These will make a great, unique addition to my roster. Since I live so close to Philadelphia, many of the older crowd recognizes these cars and I enjoy the stories they bring up at meets.

Ex-LV Conrail #7499

I started painting this model using the "Tru-Color" paints now replacing Polly Scale. While not as red as I'd like it to be, this paint color is close enough to the later "bright" Cornell red used by the LV on these diesels. The only problem is that this paint does not do well being brushed on, which means I may have to figure something out as far as the details go, if any of the also need to be red. I also misplaces some of the Handrails, but I'm sure I'll find them soon.

A proper horn casting also still eludes me. I can also see that the stock sunshades are pretty awful, so I think i'll have to fill in the big holes in the cab roof instead.

I'm not sure I'll get this engine done this year, but now that the first coat of paint is on, its going to be that much closer to completion.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 11-07-2014

acelaphillies Wrote:Wow, that's pretty neat! Where did you manage to find that?

I found it on Ebay, and I was blown away that no one else bid on it. It cost me about $8 in the end, so I think I got my bang for my buck! Again, it is a huge help towards understanding the equipment make up at the time, and a great way to learn operations on my favorite set of rails!

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 12-01-2014

This thread has been lacking pictures! I will have to change that.

This isn't the best shot, but here is one of my Reading Company MUs in progress. I still need to solidly mount the Pantographs, and some other details are frustratingly fragile (chiefly the rooftop insulators, but also the horns). However, the body shell is mostly complete, and I think It will be safe to decal it soon.

The main concern will be the windows. I only have 2 complete sets, so I will have to clone and cast the rest. Hopefully, I can make the clear resin with out much in the way of bubbles!

Another complication is the drive, which is why the pilot steps and wheels are not yet installed. while I know the Stanton Drive might work, I might try the Hollywood Foundry drive for these cars.

[Image: PA251523.jpg]

It is also flanked by some of my passenger car core kit projects, as well as a few diesel projects. I am frustrated by the lack of progress I've made on these, but to be fair, It is difficult for me to be sure about the underbody and truck configurations, let alone to find the appropriate HO scale parts.

[Image: PA251518.jpg]

I also put some of my electrified commuter cars on display, though once again, I wish I had done a better job on some. I really need to make some of these trains truly "finished", and not just "close enough.

[Image: PA251516.jpg]

One good thing is I finally got my module back. One of the trains I'm going to try and build for the future is a Trailvan train. Though my freight schedules show these running late at night, there is no end to the photos of these trains running during the day during the time that I model.

These TOFC trains ran express above normal freight speeds and just beg to be modeled, so now I am trying to collect as many appropriate flat cars as I can find, as well as the trailers to match. In this regard, any help in picking the appropriate trailers would be helpful, since I find its a little difficult to know for sure!

[Image: PB281699.jpg]

[Image: PB281700.jpg]

Also on the fast track to completion is my new PRR B1 switcher. In fact, I just began painting it this morning, putting the tuscan color on the roof and black on the underframe. By either tonight or tomorrow, I should have the Brunswick Green paint on. If I'm lucky, it will be decalled and ready to go by the end of the week!

Indeed, the only problem I'm having is isolating the motor for DCC. One half of the motor bolts in directly to the frame. I think I'll need some plastic screws and some fiber washers to prevent electrical contact, but we'll see what happens. If I can solve that problem by this week, It will be ready for this weekend's show time, which would be awesome.

[Image: PB281698.jpg]

[Image: PB281695.jpg]

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 12-05-2014

Here are some pictures of recent progress on my projects!

Conrail GP18 #7499-

Its almost a shame to have to patch over all the Lehigh Valley logos, but I'm hoping the "peeling paint patch" effect will be worth it. The engine does look pretty spiffy as it is! I still need to pop air bubbles and put more solvaset on the decals. I'll then seal it in with a clear coat before masking and patching the LV logos on the engine with another shade of LV Cornell red. I plan to dab the wet paint with a paper towel to reveal some of the older lettering.

You can see from the photos that there are some serious air bubbles in the LV logo, and i'm very concerned that the size of these decals might make them a problem in the future, especially if I'm going to use masking tape to box in the patch.

[Image: PC051763.jpg]

PRR B1 switcher #4751

This one, as well as the GP18, are my first uses of the "tru-color" paints that appear to be replacing Polly Scale/Floquil. So far, I am very satisfied. It goes on glossy, but this is fine for decals. You can see my TV screen reflecting on the sideframes! I think they also got the Brunswick Green down pretty good.

this picture might be a bit bright, but the engine looks great under normal lighting conditions. The only pain will be putting in the little numberboard decals on the headlights. I did this on one already, but there are three more number boards to go and its so small!

I also need to paint the grab irons yellow, but one step at a time!

The real challenge will be isolating the motor for DCC.

[Image: PC051761.jpg]

PRSL RDC-1 #M-403

I applied the Mount Vernon shops decales to it, which add some much needed color and "update" it to the time period that I model. The tiger stripes are particularly nice

[Image: PC041754.jpg]

[Image: PC041753.jpg]

[Image: PC041756.jpg]

NJDOT/PC Arrow I #100

I picked this car up for $20, and I'm 99% sure its the original display model that the manufacturer has on its website. All of those display models were recently sold off. It also has an early attempt at a Stemman pantograph, but I plan to replace this with the Walthers Stemman Pantograph.

The car represents the Arrow I as it appeared originally in 1968.

I plan to renumber this car into the 500 series. I have positively identifed 4 Arrow I cars in the 500 series (and I now there are more), so it looks like this one will become #521. Other numbers I've seen are 507, 509, and 510, which will be applied to my other three kits.

[Image: PC041752.jpg]

[Image: PC041749.jpg]

[Image: PC041748.jpg]

SIRT R44s

Not much I can do with these now, since there are neither decals nor underframes for them (yet), but I had to have these since I'm in Staten Island all the time.

[Image: PC041744.jpg]

More to follow!

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - cnj1524 - 12-05-2014

Stuff is looking good,LV unit looks good and an idea,maybe clear coat to seal decal then you could mask
and not worry about it tearing or coming off,I wasnt to crazy about switching from floquil to tru color
but I have to tell ya Im impressed with the paint & their paint line,they even have the right CNJ Blue
for your GP40P,I will look tomorrow to see where those decals are,I think I have 1 set left.keep up the
great work,I did sell off most of my newer NJT stuff but kept my GP40P,sold the PH-2,I sticking to the
early 80's stuff The G's E8s E60s GP40Ps ,also a heads up that athearn will probably announce the GP40P
mid next year,they are doing the SP Dash 2(feb or march announcement)there are NJ Dot(jersey builders)
at SMS in Bridgeport,NJ. If thats close to you ,other that that in ringoes NJ there are 2 stored well past
the station,came right out of service in 86 or 87 and the look untouched

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Schraddel - 12-08-2014

Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:The real challenge will be isolating the motor for DCC.

[url][Image: PC051761.jpg]
This will only be the first and lesser challenge. The true challenge will be to fit a 0-Gauge or even bigger decoder under the shell.
Those old open frames draw a lot of amps, but not necessary have the adequate output for the consumed power. The lack of smooth running or even switching will be the next disadvantage of those old powertrains.
As adwise, it will be better to replace the open frame with an can motor better suitable for DCC operation. And the isolating problems will disappear also.

Lutz

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 12-09-2014

Schraddel Wrote:This will only be the first and lesser challenge. The true challenge will be to fit a 0-Gauge or even bigger decoder under the shell.
Those old open frames draw a lot of amps, but not necessary have the adequate output for the consumed power. The lack of smooth running or even switching will be the next disadvantage of those old powertrains.
As adwise, it will be better to replace the open frame with an can motor better suitable for DCC operation. And the isolating problems will disappear also.

Lutz

Actually, this B1 defies the typical perception of the Alco Models Brass engines. Most Alco Brass models have terrible drives, but not so with this one.

In DC, it starts right up at a low voltage, and runs VERY smoothly, almost surprisingly so. It is quieter than many of my other locomotives. I don't anticipate issues with performance when I convert it to DCC. Perhaps it is a late run?

That said, I suppose that doesn't mean it might not draw a lot of amps, but we'll see. I'll have to install a TCS decoder in it. Worst case scenario, I can send it back and have it replaced, no questions asked.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 12-09-2014

cnj1524 Wrote:Stuff is looking good,LV unit looks good and an idea,maybe clear coat to seal decal then you could mask
and not worry about it tearing or coming off,I wasnt to crazy about switching from floquil to tru color
but I have to tell ya Im impressed with the paint & their paint line,they even have the right CNJ Blue
for your GP40P

I am as well. Looking in the Walthers Catalog, it seems they are adding even more of the colors that I need, like Platinum Mist, to their roster of RR paint colors. I should probably hurry up and paint this thing so I can have it running at my club's open houses.

Quote:I will look tomorrow to see where those decals are,I think I have 1 set left.keep up the
great work

Thank you! I'll definitely have to see about some of those photographs you have as well!

Quote:I did sell off most of my newer NJT stuff but kept my GP40P,sold the PH-2,I sticking to the
early 80's stuff The G's E8s E60s GP40Ps ,also a heads up that athearn will probably announce the GP40P
mid next year,they are doing the SP Dash 2(feb or march announcement)

I still model some of the modern NJT stuff for the club open houses, since people tend to recognize it. I'm hoping to get a Bi-level train rolling soon, but I'm waiting on paint. Joe recently produced updated Multi-level decals that actually match the fade pattern on the prototype, and they look really good. I was checking them out at the last Rutgers show.

On one hand, I would LOVE to have some nice Sound equipped GP40Ps, but on the other hand, I already cut up an Atlas GP40 for a kitbash, and then I bought this Brass one, so in a way, its disappointing. I could have waited another year or two if I knew! I should be careful, next they'll be selling E44 in plastic (I still love those Brass ones, I have them operating for my club's open house), or a Proto E60CH!

Quote:there are NJ Dot(jersey builders)
at SMS in Bridgeport,NJ. If thats close to you ,other that that in ringoes NJ there are 2 stored well past
the station,came right out of service in 86 or 87 and the look untouched

SMS shouldn't be to bad of a trip for me, but I've never been there. I didn't get a chance to go to Ringoes the last time I was at the Black River & Western, so I'll have to check that out.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 12-11-2014

My girlfriend picked me up a few models for my birthday, A BLMA F89J Trailertrain flat car, and a Walthers Great Northern 60 Seat ACF.

The flat car is very fancy, and its helping my Trailvan train grow! The Trailvan trains were major express TOFC runs. The Amtrak timetable permits them to run at almost 70 MPH, much faster than the 50 MPH that freight is usually restricted to on the Northeast Corridor. Right now, I only have 4 of the Atlas flush-deck TTX flatcars, so this car not only adds to that train but also to the variety of flat cars.

Maybe not the best pic to show it off, but these cars have a LOT of detail, and they're heavy while still rolling well.

[Image: PC111807.jpg]

The 60 Seat ACF car is an exact match for the kind used on the Jersey builder train! In fact, I have a photo of this class of car sandwiched between two ex ATSF Budd cars on A Jersey builder traveling past Waverly Yard, Newark NJ.

[Image: PC111808.jpg]

Note the haphazard placement of the NJ DOT logo!

[Image: 36.jpg]

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 01-08-2015

Looks like painting and DCC is going to be the name of the game!

Paint projects

SO MUCH PAINTING! I can hardly figure out what to do first!

Now that True-Color paints are more or less displacing whats left of Pollyscale and Floquil, I'm finally getting a hold of the colors I need.

In particular, I have the appropriate paints for my GP40P in the CNJ scheme, and the New Haven FL9 in the McGinnis scheme. I'm itching to get the FL9 done sooner rather than later, since I'd like to run it while it is still a "unique" engine to have, before the Rapido FL9s start hitting the rails.

At the same time, I have several passenger cars that all need a paint job. these include patching out the Great Northern logos off the now CNJ/Conrail Commuter cars, since their Empire Builder days are behind them now!

Modern NJ Transit

Another "quick" paint job would be my Modern Day NJ Transit Bi-Level cars. These would be SOOO easy to get running, if only they were painted! I recently aquired a "new tooling" PL42AC model to haul them (my original PL42AC was also the VERY first PL42AC model sold, and it has some detail trouble!). This new PL42AC has a Stewart Drive in it, and so it should be very easy to get running.

When its done, the whole trainset should look like this! I could probably use an extra coach or two (I only have 5 cars), but its a start, and its recognizable!

[Image: P8231000.jpg]

In theory, I could also get my ALP46 running, but that will be a tricky project because it is difficult to solidly attach the Roco Class 101 frame to the IMW ALP46 body. I also need more Bachmann Acela Pantographs, but they appear to be permanently out of stock (also scary if my Acela ever needs new pantographs!). I will need a new source of modern single arm "Brecknell-Willis" pantographs, preferably in red.

Conrail Trailvan and/or Amtrak Mail-9/10

Another train I'm trying to build, is a Trailvan intermodal train (or an Amtrak MAIL train, which tended to look like just another Conrail Trailvan). I'm hoping to get a few more flat cars. My train club's train length limit is around 12', so at a foot long, I'm just over halfway there at 6 cars (waiting on an Athearn Genesis F89-F flat car to arrive to make it 7).

Ironically, one of the difficulties is finding the appropriate trailers and flat cars. While Modern Day intermodal stuff is very popular and all over the place, Late 70s era intermodal trains are a different story.

It seems that 40' highway trailers and containers were the norm, but it is not entirely clear to me what sorts of trailers are appropriate. Few people took pictures of the flat cars rolling by (just the locomotives), so it makes it difficult to identify the company names, let alone the classes. The athearn 40' Freuhauf "Z-Vans" are a Safe bet, and apparently the UPS "drop floor" 40' trailers are also appropriate.

However, most intermodal containers are decidedly modern (walthers makes it easy and markets "1970s" containers, saying so right on the label!), and my hobby shop either REALLY early 40' trailers, or slightly too modern 45' trailers. Hitting the sweet spot has been difficult to say the least!

Another problem is the flatcars themselves. SO far, 5 of my 7 flat cars are Atlas "flush deck" flatcars. These are really nice, but its clear in photographs that many 89' flatcars are of the "channeled" variety, and most seem to be the F89-F class, as well as a few of the F89-J types.

The main problem here, is that many of these models are sold in a "later" 1980s+ configuration, meant for 45' Trailers. These would not fit in my late 1970s time period. Learning about these Flatcars and their history is proving difficult.

Perhaps someone here knows better? Guidance would be appreciated!