GEC's Layout Progress - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Mainline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: HO Modeling (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: GEC's Layout Progress (/showthread.php?tid=108)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 01-24-2010

I got some new stuff. worked on adding pickups to my E44A locomotives. I also built a few new trees but didn't take any pictures, so I'll post those soon.

I'll sum the rest up with photos-

New Conrail boxcar. You know i had to buy this former Penn Central patched boxcar, it goes with my patched EL hopper and E44A

[Image: trainclubvideosandstuff.jpg]

its sitting on an old rivarossi turntable, part of a box of dirty old stuff i was given for free that also included a large suydam roundhouse kit. You can see its progress on it own thread also in this HO modeling room

[Image: trainclubvideosandstuffp.jpg]

I began progress with my catenary. Its progress is also being covered in "How to Electrify a Railroad"

[Image: catenaryandgasstation01.jpg]

My girlfriend and I are also beginning to assemble a new kit, A Modern style gas station by walthers. we plan to make it look like a Shell Gas Station. We've begun painting some parts, and as soon as i get more pipettes, we will finish painting the signs and buildings

[Image: catenaryandgasstation00.jpg]

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 02-06-2010

I did some light detailing, and also ordered the book "trains to reading terminal".

the catenary project is moving ahead (detailed in its own thread), though i still need to replace some pipettes in order to continue the gas station kit, (otherwise i have nothing to clean the airbrush with).

I have acquired a Reading Company RDC-3. Unfortuneately, these RDC-3s were all turned to coaches by the Reading before conrail. I had missed this fact, and now my plans for a Reading/SEPTA "Crusader".

While RDC3s did show up on the train during the Conrail years, they were more akin to the Athearn style than this P1K version.

I also detailed my SEPTA cab car with a horn and updated paint, and Conrail GP40-2 3279 to look more in line with it's 1980s appearance.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Ralph - 02-06-2010

Love the CR patched boxcar! And, I'm still awe struck by your catenary!
Ralph

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Gary S - 02-06-2010

I second the motion on the catenary. I saw that and thought "Wow! Now that is cool!"

Thumbsup

I seriously need to learn to work with brass. I need to make a bunch of dust collectors and such, and it would probably be best to build the supporting pipework/framework from brass rod.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - LiveSteamer - 02-08-2010

Nice patch job on the boxcar.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 02-28-2010

There has been some recent progress, but first, a late bit of photography.

For my girlfriend on valentines day, i made her a "candy train", with each car loaded with something sweet, and left a little note in the head boxcar. Of course, being me, it had to be pulled by the greatest of all electrics, the GG1. I set it up as a surprise. I set up the tracks so that they went under some furniture where the candy train was hidden. then i sat next to said furniture so that when she came in, she wouldn't see the tracks go under. When she did arrive, i pretended to be having engine problems, and then i just backed the big G under the furniture, and pulled out the train.

It worked seamlessly, and also, she was super excited, which works for me.

[Image: catenarymodelworkandval.jpg]

Getting back to the layout news, more catenary structures were built. I also corrected some "mistakes" on the Conrail E33s i own. Bachmann did the paint job all wrong. The details are correct for the New haven period of these rectifiers, but the Penn Central removed the New Haven modifications (namely the bus wires seen on the models), and put the horns back in their original Virginian locations.

I set my Conrail engine right, and also added an antenna for the heck of it, since i had one lying around loose. I'm sure there are other details, but those are for another day.

4608 leads a fresh out of the box 4603. you can see the difference in the paint. I don't know why bachmann goes out of its way to make things wrong....

[Image: catenarymodelworkandvalk.jpg]

i also got a new boxcar.

[Image: catenarymodelworkandval.jpg]

thats about it for now.

sometime this week, i'll probably be bringing in a new NJ Transit GP40-2.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - nachoman - 02-28-2010

I can't wait to see the wires strung. That is gonna be sweet!

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 03-21-2010

I did some work this past week on my Arrow III Multiple Unit car #1308.

I've added all the grab irons and did some detail painting (It made a world of difference, even just the grabs made a model look more life-like). I've also restarted work on the Stemman Pantograph. I left off in a good spot, but now i have a plan for the base. I started making some of the base, and installed the stabilizer bar (keeps the pantograph from unfolding to far or in an awkward way).

As it stands, i just need to link all the base pieces together in a stable way, and add the springs/lock-downs, and it should be set to be installed on the model.

The only thing my Arrow III needs now is the lighting installed, and the step wells installed after them. Then it should be good to go.

I also did some work on my catenary project. I added a few wire steady spans and hangers.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 04-18-2010

Well, school is REALLY cutting into my modeling, but thats alright.

I did refurbish some models:

NJ transit E60CH 958:

I removed the old crappy decals, and repainted the silver parts of the model, making the paint sharper. I reapplied the decals to the model when it dried, and this time sealed it with gloss clear coat (I had not sealed it perviously). I can get away with a glossy body as these engines frequently took trips through Sunnyside Yard's car washer, and besides, i have yet to see a dirty disco striped E60 (they weren't on NJT long enough to get dirty in reality anyway, being a stop gap between the GG1s and the ALP44 "toasters" of today)

I've also added windsheild wipers, and i have MU hoses for the unit, though i need to get some other pilot details before i install them.

[Image: 412to182010njtransitmod.jpg]

NJ transit ALP44 #4405

Speaking of toasters, i also finally covered up the gaping hole i made in the roof of mine. ALP44s, while very similar to the AEM7s on Amtrak, are 10 years younger, and have smaller roof resistor grids (for dynamic breaks). The Atlas model featured an AEM7 style grid, which i aimed to correct. I scratch built a new one to scale using styrene sheet, brass mesh "screens", and plastic Kadee screws that looked lot like the resistor grids themselves. I mounted this on super thin plastic, and i have it temporarily installed with tacky scenic glue on the roof until I'm sure i like how it looks. The glue is strong enough to hold it in place, even through handling, but i can also peel it right off without harming the model. I also painted some of the handrails and other pieces so that they more accurately matched the prototype. they are small changes, but the models look way different.

I would like to do this for my other AEM7s, when i find materials that match their resistor grids more closely.

[Image: 412to182010njtransitmodd.jpg]

Close up of one of the resistor grid banks from below to show detail-

[Image: 412to182010njtransitmodp.jpg]

NJ Transit GP40-2 #4300

This one i would like to say i have done work on, but in reality, i just got this engine a few months ago. It needs some work to be more accurate, but there are little things i'll probably do this week, like add strobes, cab signal boxes, air conditioning units, and the correct K5LA horn. in the future, i'll need to build up the anti climbers, and probably add ditch lights.

Conrail E44A #4457

My Black E44 is back on the road, and now that all obvious DCC problems appear to have been resolved, I can put it back on the active roster. My other E44s (4456 and 4465) should be joining their sister sometime before next november (this year, i REALLY want my E44s and E60MA to be running for the train shows)

IN Other news....

i got my now two oldest pieces of equipment, a pair of 1965 Walthers MP54 cars (coach and combine). They are way to long when they sit next to modern MP54 models, but they don't look bad. i'm debating whether or not i should simply just build new "side" pieces, since everything else about the kit would be easily shortened. I also have a good knowledge of the cars, so i don't see why i wouldn't be able to make them look just as good as any other MP54 car.

They are a little bit special though. One thing that is interesting are the slightly undersized pantographs. Usually, the only diamond pans around are the GG1 pans, but they are way to big. Bachmann's E33 pans are probably closer, but these ALMOST have it right. I did some measuring, and some of the parts are to scale, some are undersized. Since the whole thing is soldered together, i might be able to adjust it with new pieces. I like the base, as it follows the generally correct profile, but it may also need work. another cool feature is a small lever that allows the pantographs to rise (rather than pulling on the pan). I can see someone wiring such a pan to go up and down by DCC.

[Image: dlumes1.JPG]

[Image: del1.JPG]

Parting shot of NJ transit Electric evolution. GG-1 > E60CH > ALP44 > ALP46

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Gary S - 04-18-2010

Great photos, GEC. Those NJ Transit locos look very nice!

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - tomustang - 04-18-2010

Sounds like you did, and now have a lot more work to do Icon_lol

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 05-06-2010

I've just acquired Conrail #4020, one of the Office Car Special (OCS) E8A locomotives. it will need some work to be TOTALLY accurate, but it doesn't look bad for now. I'm not sure if i'm going to model the OCS, but its nice to have for now.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - tomustang - 05-06-2010

Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:I've just acquired Conrail #4020, one of the Office Car Special (OCS) E8A locomotives. it will need some work to be TOTALLY accurate, but it doesn't look bad for now. I'm not sure if i'm going to model the OCS, but its nice to have for now.
Very Cool Thumbsup Now that's one train I'd like to pull the trigger on modeling

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Puddlejumper - 05-06-2010

If it is the Proto model it is really nice. I added nose rings and such to be closer to accurate but the rooftop fans were still wrong. One other thing that bothered me was the portholes on the model, CR's executive units had the portholes removed. Still a superb model though.

Your collection looks great! I would love to see those 3 E44s on a long freight under the wires!

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 05-06-2010

Puddlejumper Wrote:If it is the Proto model it is really nice. I added nose rings and such to be closer to accurate but the rooftop fans were still wrong. One other thing that bothered me was the portholes on the model, CR's executive units had the portholes removed. Still a superb model though.

Your collection looks great! I would love to see those 3 E44s on a long freight under the wires!

Oh, wow, I KNEW something looked funny about those Conrail E-units, now i know! I think if i could find matching paint, i could fix this.

As it turns out, a lot of the Conrail E8s had no portholes, not just the Executive ones. From flipping through my books, only one, 4063, has its portholes. I'll have to be careful with a chisel blade, and then i can fill in the hole with gap filling CA.

the roof fans don't look to tough either. If you model 4022, however, it doesn't have the extra fans, and it has the steam generator ends, as opposed to the Amtrak style HEP ends. (4020 and 4021 are former Amtrak nee PRR engines that Conrail bought after retiring most of their own).

Yeah, ironically, i was at that hobby shop to get decoders for the other two E44As, but instead walked out with this E8!