GEC's Layout Progress - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Mainline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: HO Modeling (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: GEC's Layout Progress (/showthread.php?tid=108)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 05-11-2010

Well, i've just finished all my school work, which means i can get back to my projects! Coming up...

The Agenda for the rest of this month:

-Add DCC to the E44As #4456 and #4465
-Paint Conrail #4465.
-Paint and Build Reading/SEPTA #9019 (Silverliner IV single unit)
-Finish Detail Work on NJT E60CH #958

I think these goals are within reach. Of course, my Catenary project will begin to move again as well, but that was going to take time anyway!

Some new equipment-

I got this RDC back a few months ago, but i don't think i photographed it yet.

[Image: 51110e8ocsreadingrdc3cr.jpg]

The new Conrail E8A #4020

This model didn't get much photos since it was overshadowed when i originally received my E44A electrics. Conrail had a few SD7s in the early days.

Some neat shots i took today

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Puddlejumper - 05-11-2010

Great stuff! As always!

Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:This model didn't get much photos since it was overshadowed when i originally received my E44A electrics. Conrail had a few SD7s in the early days.

CR had 2 SD7s, 6998 and 6999. They were for use on Madison grade, heavily ballasted and dynamic braked. The SD9s were in the 6900-6924 series and worked systemwide.

Puddlejumper Wrote:Great stuff! As always!

Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:This model didn't get much photos since it was overshadowed when i originally received my E44A electrics. Conrail had a few SD7s in the early days.

CR had 2 SD7s, 6998 and 6999. They were for use on Madison grade, heavily ballasted and dynamic braked. The SD9s were in the 6900-6924 series and worked systemwide.

you're right! I mixed them up, and i had a twinge in my mind that i did, but forgot about it. its worse, because i've had a UP SD7 for years, so i tend to think "SD7" everytime i see a six-axle first gen locomotive.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Puddlejumper - 05-12-2010

Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:you're right! I mixed them up, and i had a twinge in my mind that i did, but forgot about it. its worse, because i've had a UP SD7 for years, so i tend to think "SD7" everytime i see a six-axle first gen locomotive.

I hope you don't mind me throwing my 2 cents in every once and awhile. I, Like you, am a huge CR and PRR fan so I follow all of your threads, particularly the ones about catenary. I just want you to know that I didn't mean to "correct" you per se', but share CR/PC/PRR knowledge with you. I really enjoy your work.

Dave

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Steamtrains - 05-12-2010

Couple of questions...
What is that black monster #4457..??
Is the catenary going to be energized..??

Great job..!! Thumbsup

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Herc Driver - 05-12-2010

It is simply not fair that there's no great looking electric engines like those in Nscale...not fair at all. Nice work on the catenary btw!

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Green_Elite_Cab - 05-12-2010

Puddlejumper Wrote:
Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:you're right! I mixed them up, and i had a twinge in my mind that i did, but forgot about it. its worse, because i've had a UP SD7 for years, so i tend to think "SD7" everytime i see a six-axle first gen locomotive.

I hope you don't mind me throwing my 2 cents in every once and awhile. I, Like you, am a huge CR and PRR fan so I follow all of your threads, particularly the ones about catenary. I just want you to know that I didn't mean to "correct" you per se', but share CR/PC/PRR knowledge with you. I really enjoy your work.

Dave

Oh, I love comments! Your two cents is always welcome! I don't mind being corrected at all. everyone makes mistakes, and i prefer to be notified! Thumbsup knowledge sharing is also always a plus!

As far as the catenary goes, i hope to get back to that project now that my classes are over. as you can see, i'm already taking the photos with the existing bridges. the next two bridges will be tough, since they are going into a curve, and all of the them border crossovers, so i might have to do some tricky figuring for the pull off wires.

Steamtrains Wrote:Couple of questions...
What is that black monster #4457..??
Is the catenary going to be energized..??

Great job..!! Thumbsup

1.) # 4457 is one of Conrail's former Pennsylvania RR E44A electrics by General Electric. They are 5,000 HP solid-state rectifier units (standard E44s are only 4400 HP with Ignitron Rectifiers). they were bought as a replacement for PRR's boxcab electrics, replacing literally every Pennsy electric except for the GG1.

2.) I'm leaving the option open. I plan to make a switch so i can run all electric in the future. Since the catenary structures are metal, they can conduct, so if i felt like it, i could raise the pans as soon as i hang the wire.

Herc Driver Wrote:It is simply not fair that there's no great looking electric engines like those in Nscale...not fair at all. Nice work on the catenary btw!

Even in HO scale, there isn't much. I do have a nice collection, but hardly enough to really cover the electric operations where i model. For example, i have about 5 Amtrak AEM7s, an Acela Set, and an HHP-8. I have Amtrak's NEC stuff pretty well covered. At the same time, however, whole fleets of Electric multiple units share the Right of Way with Amtrak, and none of those models are easy to obtain (or cheap). Without the brass E44A models i picked up, modeling the conrail era with electrics would be near impossible. the only other electric freighters were the E33s (only ten of them on conrail), a pair of short lived EP5s (called E40s by Conrail) and GG1s (retired in 1979). the GE E44s were the bulk.

Kato is pretty good, offering that GG1. I think there is an E60CP and Acela in N-scale to (did they ever produce HHP-8s?), though i don't know how well they work. hopefully, manufacturers might be convinced to offer an AEM7 in N. I've seen SPECTACULAR N-scale PRR catenary done before, so i know its not out of the question.

I don't remember the model designations but CR 4975 (EMD 1975) and CR 4976 (EMD 1976) were available in brass at one time. They were painted in EMD demo colors.

Puddlejumper Wrote:I don't remember the model designations but CR 4975 (EMD 1975) and CR 4976 (EMD 1976) were available in brass at one time. They were painted in EMD demo colors.

1975 was a GM6C, renumbered 4975 under Conrail. It had a C-C wheel arrangement, while the 1976 (CR 4976) was a GM10B, with a B-B-B wheel arrangment. the GM6C was able to pull 50% more tonnage than the E44, and the GM10B could haul TWICE what an E44 can do.

If i could obtain those models, I'd be a happy camper. It might be easy to build the GM6C with Cannon parts, but i don't have those skills yet.

Green_Elite_Cab Wrote:the GM6C was able to pull 50% more tonnage than the E44, and the GM10B could haul TWICE what an E44 can do.

Eek Eek Eek Wow! That's impressive. Thanks for the additional info.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Steamtrains - 05-13-2010

'Scuze my ignorance....So I take it the catenary just conducts one "pole" and the ground would be to a rail (either track or third..)? :oops:

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Puddlejumper - 05-13-2010

Correct. The prototype is 11,000 VAC overhead, with both running rails being the return.

On the model it is the same (except the voltage Eek ) however it is also possible to wire so the running rails are separated from each other to allow conventional operation of models that don't use the overhead catenary for power.

Re: GEC's Layout Progress - Herc Driver - 05-13-2010

You're right GEC - there's a few choices of electrics in Nscale...the Bachmann HHP-8 and Acela come to mind, as do the Minitrix offerings of European electrics. And actually, Bachmann's HHP-8 is a nice looking (albeit ok running) offering. I'd love to run an Acela, but there's no way that train could take my layout's tight 11" curves. I've been thinking about buying one or two European electric engines, just to have for fun, and something different on the layout. Cost is certainly an issue, as well as dcc conversions.

Still, maybe one day Bachmann or another maker will come out with several other electric options for us Nscale folks.