Feedback on this Grain Elevator Please - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Lower Berth (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Thread: Feedback on this Grain Elevator Please (/showthread.php?tid=1113)

Feedback on this Grain Elevator Please - Trucklover - 04-17-2009

Hi Guys, here is another Grain Elevator i have just finished off today. This one was done for ADM Grain. Tell me what you guys think? I built this from 2 Walthers Cornerstone Series Grain Elevator Kits. The Silo structure was made double long (2 rows of 8 silos, 16 silos total) and the main structure was built pretty much stock. Here are a few pictures, tell me what you guys think of it. Ill be listing this one for sale mid next week on ebay.

[Image: SL373006.jpg]

[Image: SL373007.jpg]

[Image: SL373008.jpg]

[Image: SL373009.jpg]

[Image: SL373010.jpg]

[Image: SL373011.jpg]

[Image: SL373012.jpg]

Re: Feedback on this Grain Elevator Please - nachoman - 04-17-2009

Wow. That looks fantastic. Have you been making enough money by selling structures on ebay to be worth your time and cover your costs? Or are you looking at this as a way to hone your modeling skills while earning a few bucks doing something you like to do anyway? The reason I ask is that I have often considered making a few extra items and selling them on ebay to recover some costs of tools I need and to make a few extra dollars.

Re: Feedback on this Grain Elevator Please - Trucklover - 04-17-2009

nachoman Wrote:Wow. That looks fantastic. Have you been making enough money by selling structures on ebay to be worth your time and cover your costs? Or are you looking at this as a way to hone your modeling skills while earning a few bucks doing something you like to do anyway? The reason I ask is that I have often considered making a few extra items and selling them on ebay to recover some costs of tools I need and to make a few extra dollars.

Hey Kevin, thanks Misngth

Im doing these right now just to make a few extra bucks here and there. Being out of a job for almost a year now has really been tough, so doing this and making a few extra bucks here and there really helps, not to mention my girlfriend and I have our 1 year anniversary coming up and i wanna try and get something nice for her lol.

Right now, im just trying to score buildings as cheaply as i can, while taking into account the shipping for the buildings i buy, the fees from ebay and Paypal after i sell the structures, and the packing materials needed to ship these structures in, im not making a whole lot. Of coarse, the buyer pays for all Packing Materials, and all Shipping Costs, but this still does not help me much for the fees i get charged from both ebay and Paypal.

I try to start my starting price at a reasonable price, from past experience, if it is a reasonable starting price, the bidding usually ends up going higher then if you just started the auction for what you wanted to get for it. For the Cargill Grain Elevator that i have listed right now, i did a starting bid of $49.95. It has 17 people watching it with 4d 20h left. The structure cost me $54 (2 Grain Elevator Kits, shipping included), so i always just have to have a little hope in the auction that it will be at least what i paid for it plus the fees from Ebay and PayPal, so i always hope to be in the positive side when it ends, and at least make enough to break even..... Ive been pretty lucky in the past and have not really had anything sell for anything less then me breaking even on it....

Im trying to get ahold of 4 more grain elevators (so i can make 2 more of these and decal them for COOP and Con Agra Grain), and 4 Red Wing Flour Mill structures. Plus i just bought 25 Walthers Modular Series kits, which i hope to make more then a few buildings out of lol

Re: Feedback on this Grain Elevator Please - Tom - 04-17-2009

For what it's worth, Pay-Pal has gotten way too big for their britches and the fees and rules have gotten so ridiculous that I will not buy ANYTHING on Ebay that is Pay-Pal only. I will ask the seller for any auctions I am interested in if they'll take a cashiers check or money order, and if not, then I say "no thanks" and pass.

Re: Feedback on this Grain Elevator Please - MountainMan - 04-17-2009

That's a nice structure! Thumbsup

Re: Feedback on this Grain Elevator Please - Ralph - 04-17-2009

Looks mighty fine to me! Thumbsup
Ralph

Re: Feedback on this Grain Elevator Please - eightyeightfan1 - 04-17-2009

Looks good.
Them Walters Grain silos are huge to began with.
When I was into N scale, I bought one. It was so big, I thought I had bought the HO scale one by mistake. I had to read the box four or five times just to make sure.

Re: Feedback on this Grain Elevator Please - Trucklover - 04-17-2009

Tom Wrote:For what it's worth, Pay-Pal has gotten way too big for their britches and the fees and rules have gotten so ridiculous that I will not buy ANYTHING on Ebay that is Pay-Pal only. I will ask the seller for any auctions I am interested in if they'll take a cashiers check or money order, and if not, then I say "no thanks" and pass.

Ive gotten a few people ask if i will accept other payment methods. I gladly accept them as long as they get them out and i receive them within a timely manor. As a seller, you are not allowed to advertise that you accept other payment methods, if ebay catches you doing this, and the category the auction is listed under, they cancel your auction and tell you cannot do this. But if a potential buyer or the winning high bidder asks you to pay with something other then PayPal, you can choose to accept there offer, as long as you are not the one to offer it.... This is what i read in ebay's policy. And i agree with you Tom, PayPal only wasnt a smart move i dont think

MM, Ralph, and Ed, thanks guys for the comments Misngth

Ed, yeah the silos are very tall, but i think they look pretty sweet when there HUGE lol

Re: Feedback on this Grain Elevator Please - Tom - 04-17-2009

Josh, I was chewing on this all day (actually it was chewing at me) and I have been having computer problems all day and just finally got a chance to get online, otherwise I would have done it a lot sooner, but I owe you and the rest of you guys a big apology, you especially for hijacking your post (which was to show off a beautifully done, impressive model structure that you should be proud of and I should have just admired it (because I really do like it alot) up on my soap box. Just a bad day over here with the computer issues, but none the less, that don't excuse it. I am sorry. I'll take my anti-Pay-pal drum and sit in the corner wearing my dunce cap and eating the macaroni from the art projects where I belong. 35

Seriosuly, that is NICE and I found myself looking at my "Arlen (Texas) Traction Company" layout plans to see if it'd fit where I had planned to do an elevator anyway. I would be proud to have that or any of your other structures featured on my layout and now that you mention you aren't just accepting Pay-pal only, I really feel like a tool. Goldth

Back to the corner for me...

(On second thought, Alicia has a more fitting punishment for me than the corner and dunce cap... I now have to go to Wally World as Lardo the cat is out of his favorite cat food. I guess I deserved that.) 24

Re: Feedback on this Grain Elevator Please - cnw1961 - 04-18-2009

Looks very good, Josh. With the additional silos it is a very impressive structure. Hope you’ll get paid a good price for it.

Re: Feedback on this Grain Elevator Please - cn nutbar - 04-18-2009

Hi Josh---looks great---now I know what to use for my future Gern facility Thumbsup

Re: Feedback on this Grain Elevator Please - tetters - 04-18-2009

Just Terrible. Package it up and ship it to me right away!

Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol

Re: Feedback on this Grain Elevator Please - MadModeler - 04-21-2009

That is an excellent job there Trucklover Cheers

The only thing that may be needed is weathering but then, that can be the buyer's responsibility.

Very well done. Thumbsup

Re: Feedback on this Grain Elevator Please - Trucklover - 04-22-2009

Thank you guys for the comments, it means alot and its usefully to me to know everyone's opinions on it Misngth

Tom, dont worry about it buddy, apology accepted Misngth even though there was no need for one, im just about as worked up as you are on the PayPal only thing and ebay Nope

If anyone is interested, i have listed it on ebay today, here is the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=350193639645