Ontario Northland motive power. - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Photographer's right of way (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Forum: Shutterbug area (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Ontario Northland motive power. (/showthread.php?tid=1293)

Pages: 1 2

Ontario Northland motive power. - Wayne R - 05-27-2009

I finally got some time today to try out my new camera. I picked up a new Canon digital Rebel XS. My little Fujifilm S5200 was taking nice pictures but I wanted something with 10 megapixels or more and something with more flexibility and options.
The train to Noranda Quebec was passing through town so I ran down to the tracks and got a few quick shots. This one turned out not to bad. I was trying out the cameras depth of field setting.

The lead locomotive is an Sd75I the ONR got a number of years back ( #2105 ). The second and third locomotives are SD40-2s ( #1737 & #1734 ). Both were bought new by the ONR around 1973-74 and have been in service ever since. The 1737 is still wearing its very worn and faded chevron paint scheme. The 2105 and the 1734 are sporting the new ON Rail scheme the railway went to a number of years ago.

Wayne Reid

Re: Ontario Northland motive power. - nomad - 05-27-2009

Great picture for just a test. The picture itself is good to. Lots of interesting details.

Loren

Re: Ontario Northland motive power. - Herc Driver - 05-27-2009

Nice shot!

I compliment Ontario Northland for an interesting paint scheme. Really looks good to me. I got an Athearn SD75i in the ON colours and really like running it. I'd like to get that new Rapido Trains Ontario Northland passenger car to run with it - just for fun. I don't know if that's prototypical or not...but it would be interesting running laps on the layout.

Re: Ontario Northland motive power. - Wayne R - 05-27-2009

I was actually lucky to even get a few shots of. I was about 8 blocks away at a lake on the edge of town taking a few scenery shots when my scanner let me know the train was coming. I was on my bicycle as the wife said I needed some real exercise. Eek I had to pedal like mad to get to the tracks. I got there just in time and out of breath ( guess I am out of shape :mrgreen: ) and managed to get a few pictures. Smile

Wayne Reid

Re: Ontario Northland motive power. - Herc Driver - 05-27-2009

Darn good picture and worth the amount of work it took to get it! Thumbsup

Re: Ontario Northland motive power. - doctorwayne - 05-27-2009

The picture looks good, although the cover on the gondola looks like a load of snow. Eek Not the fault of the camera, of course, but please don't send it south - we've got leaves on our trees, while yours still look pretty bare.

Here's a shot of the old "lightning bolt" scheme:
[Image: ONRgeep1803atNorthBayOntario.jpg]

Personally, though, I like this even older scheme much better:
[Image: ONRF-unit1521atNorthBayOntario.jpg]

Both shots were taken at North Bay, many years ago.

Wayne

Re: Ontario Northland motive power. - Wayne R - 05-28-2009

doctorwayne

I shot the picture in RAW mode and added a little brightness and tweaked a few other setting before turning it into a jpeg. The brightness I added turned an already very white gondola cover even more bright white. Misngth It does not help that it seems they have gotten some new covers and have been fixing some of the banged up ones and painting them a very bright shiny white.

Please do not mention snow. It was only about a week or so ago we woke up one morning to everything being white again. Eek it melted by the end of the day but it still was a shock. So far spring up here in the northern part of Ontario has been cooler and wetter than normal. The leaves are just finally starting to show. Sad I am hoping it warms up more and we get more sunny days as I am planning on doing a fair amount of train photography this summer.

I like your photo of the FP7 in the old green, yellow, red and silver scheme. It is also my favorite scheme. I can remember when some of the SD40-2s were in the same paint scheme. Starting at the age of 8 I spent a lot of time down at the railway station in Cochrane were I lived at the time watching the trains. I wish I would have had a camera back then. Smile

Wayne Reid

Re: Ontario Northland motive power. - cn nutbar - 05-28-2009

Hi Wayne---thanks for posting your picture,hopefully there will many more including some shots of your excellent models.I'm also a fan of the early Ontario Northland paint scheme.A good friend of Doctor Wayne and myself was a huge ONR modeller,unfortunately he moved to British Columbia,so we're no longer able to enjoy his beautiful layout.The ONR was a common sight in my hometown (Hamilton Ontario) at one time,bringing ore trains to the steel mills.Here's a couple of shots from Reg Button's book (Trackside in the Niagara Peninsula) taken in the area---sorry the quality isn't that good---thanks again,Nutbar

[Image: onrcn002.jpg]

[Image: onrcn001.jpg]

Hi Herc---did you know Rapido Trains has an excellent web site:www.rapidotrains.com including some excellent n-scale items

Re: Ontario Northland motive power. - Herc Driver - 05-28-2009

I'm all over that Rapido Trains website...just might order an ONR passenger car for my SD75i and a PRR car to go with my GG1. Thanks!

Re: Ontario Northland motive power. - Wayne R - 05-28-2009

cn nutbar

I hope to be able to post some pictures of the Van Hobbies CNR J4e pacific I am working on. I was hoping to have it painted by now but more important things have kept me out of my hobby room. The new camera did not help things as well. Big Grin I just need to finish modifing the tender trucks so they pick up power from both rails. I have already installed a new gearbox and can motor and set the locomotive up for DCC and sound. Once I get the trucks done and if the rain will ever stop for a few days Curse I will be able to sand blast everything with baking soda get it ready for paint. I do all my sandblasting outdoors and let mother nature take care of the baking soda as it is harmless. I tried doing it in a spare room in my basement once but will never do that again as it looked like a snow storm had struck the room afterwards. Eek

I also have a Kanamodel CNR water tower kit I am half done and a Diamond Scale turntable I was thinking of doing a build thread on.

Wayne Reid

Re: Ontario Northland motive power. - eightyeightfan1 - 05-28-2009

That is a nice scheme.
And some nice shots.

Re: Ontario Northland motive power. - Wayne R - 06-08-2009

Today there was plenty of action on the Kirkland Lake sub and I was able to get a few more pictures of the ONRail's fleet. Actually the action was so good I ended up shooting just about 500 photos. Eek Good thing my camera is digital. Smile

Wayne Reid

SD75i, #2104

Another shot of #2104

SD40-2, #1735

Re: Ontario Northland motive power. - Wayne R - 06-08-2009

One more shot. SD40-2, #1730.

Wayne Reid

Re: Ontario Northland motive power. - doctorwayne - 06-08-2009

Nice pictures, Wayne. Thumbsup

For the benefit of the out-of-towners and tourists, this railroad was formerly the Ontario Northland, and prior to that, the Temiskaming & Northern Ontario. I always thought that Iast one had a nice ring to it, but the Texas & New Orleans evidently had dibs on those T&NO reporting marks. Wink Goldth

Wayne

Re: Ontario Northland motive power. - galt904 - 06-09-2009

Nice pics.

ONR also has a handful of second hand GP40-2s, do they not?