Railfanning Norfolk Southern RR - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Real World (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=19)
+--- Forum: US Rails (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=18)
+--- Thread: Railfanning Norfolk Southern RR (/showthread.php?tid=1428)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 41 42

Re: Railfanning Norfolk Southern RR - LiveSteamer - 09-26-2009

I ran to cresson real quick today with the fiance and got these pictures. I am posting 10 out of the 26. I will post the rest tonight.

SD80MAC #7211 & #7214
[Image: 875d1254003623-norfolk-southern-pittsbur...mg5639.jpg]

[Image: 876d1254003623-norfolk-southern-pittsbur...mg5644.jpg]

[Image: 877d1254003623-norfolk-southern-pittsbur...mg5643.jpg]

SD70M-2 #2746
[Image: 878d1254003623-norfolk-southern-pittsbur...mg5646.jpg]

Service Area
[Image: 879d1254003623-norfolk-southern-pittsbur...mg5649.jpg]

[Image: 880d1254003623-norfolk-southern-pittsbur...mg5650.jpg]

MOW Equipment
[Image: 881d1254003623-norfolk-southern-pittsbur...mg5630.jpg]

[Image: 882d1254003623-norfolk-southern-pittsbur...mg5631.jpg]

[Image: 883d1254003623-norfolk-southern-pittsbur...mg5632.jpg]

There is a total of four trains in this picture
[Image: 884d1254003623-norfolk-southern-pittsbur...mg5634.jpg]

Re: Railfanning Norfolk Southern RR - Steamtrains - 09-26-2009

Nice pics.....What's that orange contraption..?? Goldth

Re: Railfanning Norfolk Southern RR - csiguy68 - 09-26-2009

very nice pics matt! look forward to seeing more.

Todd

Re: Railfanning Norfolk Southern RR - LiveSteamer - 09-28-2009

Thanks Guys. I have not idea what each MOW equipment pieces those are.

Re: Railfanning Norfolk Southern RR - LiveSteamer - 09-28-2009

The rest of the pictures.

East - West
[Image: 885d1254026620-norfolk-southern-pittsbur...mg5628.jpg]

Signals
[Image: 886d1254026620-norfolk-southern-pittsbur...mg5645.jpg]

Two Trains
[Image: 887d1254026620-norfolk-southern-pittsbur...mg5633.jpg]

SD40-2 #3350
[Image: 888d1254026620-norfolk-southern-pittsbur...mg5636.jpg]

SD40-2 #3340
[Image: 889d1254026620-norfolk-southern-pittsbur...mg5637.jpg]

Office
[Image: 890d1254026620-norfolk-southern-pittsbur...mg5652.jpg]

SD40E #6307 sitting idle
[Image: 891d1254026620-norfolk-southern-pittsbur...mg5651.jpg]

Re: Railfanning Norfolk Southern RR - Russ Bellinis - 09-30-2009

Steamtrains Wrote:Nice pics.....What's that orange contraption..?? Goldth

The first unit is a flanger. The second piece is a ballast tamper. The third one is a pup tamper. The three pieces of equipment work together, and basically those three machines and a handful of operators replace an entire track gang "back in the day," and can do about 10 times as much track per day. The ballast tamper goes first. The black thing on the front is a "buggy." It is a simple "A" frame with two axles. Between it and the ballast tamper (which is the orange machine) is an articulated set of "trailer tongues." When in operation, the buggy is lowered onto the tracks and then the "tongues" are unfolded to send the buggy out in front of the tamper. On the BNSF unit that I repaired a/c units on, there were two lights next to the cab pointed down track that hit sensors on the buggy. It looks like this one has one light on top of the buggy that points at that black rectangle above the cab. That rectangle is a sensor. The machine is operated by a computer and the operator has to enter all of the curves, hills and valleys into the computer. The machine then runs down the track looking for dips, bumps, or irregularities in the track. If it finds a bump (not very common) it will back up a few hundred feet or yards depending on how big the bump is, grab the track and lift while tamping to cause ballast to go under the ties. It will continue doing this to the point of the bump and beyond. It then reverses direction back to where it started the tamping process and runs through the spot to check to see if it got rid of the bump. If it finds a dip in the track (usually) it will grab the rail and lift while tamping to vibrate ballast under the ties where the dip is. Then it will back up and recheck the track to make sure the dip is gone. If the crew should forget to input all curves and grade changes into the computer for the stretch of track they are working on, it will try to straighten out and remove all curves and grade changes to make the track completely straight and level! The pup tamper then follows the ballast tamper to tamp and settle the ballast, and the flanger follows to dress up the edges. At least this is how the BNSF mow supervisor explained the operation to me when I was repairing some cab air conditioning units for the railroad prior to the railroad getting their people EPA certified to repair the a/c units. The three machines will also be used when track or ties are replaced. The track gang will remove the old ties and/or track, and install the new stuff. Then the three machines will come through and make sure everything is straight and level and dressed up before the line is opened up to traffic again.

Re: Railfanning Norfolk Southern RR - Brakie - 09-30-2009

Matt,That is one sweet looking yard office.. Thumbsup

Re: Railfanning Norfolk Southern RR - csiguy68 - 09-30-2009

Matt

is that yard office sign at the engine terminal in Cresson? It is a very cool looking picture.

todd

Re: Railfanning Norfolk Southern RR - LiveSteamer - 09-30-2009

Thank you Larry.

Todd, that sign is on a underground tunnel that you can take from one side of the tracks to over where i shot the pictures of the macs and MOW equipment.

Re: Railfanning Norfolk Southern RR - LiveSteamer - 09-30-2009

SD80MAC #7200 at the portage coal cleaning plant
[Image: 4571410_orig.jpg]

SD80MAC #7208 sitting on the other end of the train at portage ( you can see the engineers feet hanging out the window Icon_lol )
[Image: 3558569_orig.jpg]

Re: Railfanning Norfolk Southern RR - LiveSteamer - 10-01-2009

Howdy Guys. The website is getting a new look. Let me know what you think so far. Not done still got a few tricks up my sleeves. Icon_lol

Re: Railfanning Norfolk Southern RR - LiveSteamer - 10-03-2009

What Norfolk Southern Railroad has been up too:

Norfolk Southern unveils experimental electric locomotive

ALTOONA, PA. – With U.S. Dept. of Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood and Congressman Bill Shuster in attendance, Norfolk Southern today unveiled the latest in alternative energy locomotive technology at its Juniata Locomotive Shop in Altoona, Pa. NS 999 is a prototype 1,500-horsepower switching locomotive that relies solely on rechargeable batteries for power.

"At Norfolk Southern we strongly subscribe to the view that sustainability and reducing our carbon footprint are solid business objectives that also provide enormous benefits to the communities we serve," said CEO Wick Moorman. "By utilizing regenerated kinetic energy of the train and with no diesel exhaust emissions, NS 999 achieves those goals. This prototype locomotive was developed by Norfolk Southern, with the help of an incredibly creative partnership, including the U.S. Dept. of Energy, the Federal Railroad Administration, and The Pennsylvania State University, for which we are grateful. We must also recognize Congressman Bill Shuster, as without his active interest and participation in this project NS 999 would still be merely a concept."

"Today, the transportation sector currently accounts for just under a third of U.S. greenhouse gas emissions, more than half of nitrogen oxide emissions, and almost three-quarters of our petroleum consumption. We need to change that," said Secretary LaHood. "By working together to develop alternative energy sources and innovative technologies like this electric locomotive, we will make transportation more sustainable and energy-efficient. "

"Historically, Pennsylvania has had a tremendous history in railroading, and it remains my belief that our state can still have a bright future in rail if we take advantage of dynamic partnerships between the private and public sectors like the one that produced this locomotive," said Congressman Bill Shuster, the Ranking Republican on the Railroads Subcommittee. "What Norfolk Southern and Penn State are doing with Congress and Secretary LaHood's support is truly significant and will help usher in a new generation of green locomotives fueled by American ingenuity. Let's not forget about the great work done by the Juniata Locomotive Shop employees who did a superior job producing this engine. I am proud to have worked to secure funding for this project, and I look forward to seeing it working the rail lines soon."

Congressman Shuster secured $1.3 million in federal funding for the NS 999 project.
NS 999 is an entirely electric locomotive that uses a lead-acid energy storage system comprised of 1,080 12-volt batteries to operate in railroad switching applications without the use of a diesel engine and with zero exhaust emissions. The plug-in locomotive also can regenerate dynamic braking energy through a system provided by Brookville Equipment Company. The recovered dynamic braking energy continually replenishes the energy storage system, and uses this recovered energy for tractive effort in rail operations. The batteries are carefully monitored and controlled through an elaborate battery management system to assure safety and maximum battery life, and when fully charged NS 999 is able to operate three shifts before recharging is required.

For a picture of the locomotive click the link below:
Model - BP4
Number - 999
http://www.nslocos.com/nsbp4.html

Re: Railfanning Norfolk Southern RR - Charlie B - 10-03-2009

Am I the only one that has a problem with the tax payers being put on the hook for 1.3 million dollars, when NS makes billions?
Charlie

Re: Railfanning Norfolk Southern RR - doctorwayne - 10-03-2009

Going "green" is an easy and popular sell to the public, which often fails to notice the presence of the government's hand in their pocket, removing the green(backs) in order to fund these projects. Icon_lol

One of the cardinal rules of capitalism is to never invest your own money if you can use that of others. Although it does get confusing when taxpayers' money is doled out via government's hand - many wouldn't choose to call that capitalism at all. Wink However, I don't want to start a discussion involving the dreaded "S" word, so I'll leave it at that. Misngth

Wayne

Re: Railfanning Norfolk Southern RR - LiveSteamer - 10-04-2009

Has anyone seen anything in the past week? I haven't been out to take pictures.