MRC ALCO PA decoder with sound - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Back Shop (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+--- Forum: DCC (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Thread: MRC ALCO PA decoder with sound (/showthread.php?tid=162)

MRC ALCO PA decoder with sound - Charlie B - 12-15-2008

I just wanted to report I just installed a MRC drop in sound decoder in one of my P2k Alco Pa's. It took about 20 minutes because I wanted to be sure I was right. I found one of the motor leads loose and had to fix that which was no fault of the decoder
It comes with 33 different horn sounds and 8 different bells. I was so impressed I ordered 2 more for my other PA's
At $60 bucks it is half what other sound systems cost. It came complete with the speaker already mounted on the board. :mrgreen:
Charlie

Re: MRC ALCO PA decoder with sound - LynnB - 12-15-2008

Sounds like a great deal , no pun intended. 2285_

Re: MRC ALCO PA decoder with sound - Charlie B - 12-15-2008

It is so easy I don't think it is worth a tutorial but I may do one anyway. I know I was a little apprehensive until it was done. No soldering no nuttin' just replace the board.
Charlie

Re: MRC ALCO PA decoder with sound - UP SD40-2 - 12-15-2008

Charlie, i'm GLAD you like your MRC sound decoder Thumbsup .
I havent used the circuit board replacement type, but i have had real good luck with the Brilliance line Thumbsup Big Grin

Re: MRC ALCO PA decoder with sound - LynnB - 12-15-2008

Well I have 2 brand new Athern RS-1's not even out of the box yet that I ordered 2 decoder boards for and to tell you the truth I'm a bit nervous about opening them up let alone installing the boards. So a bit of a well documented how to would be much appreciated.

Re: MRC ALCO PA decoder with sound - UP SD40-2 - 12-17-2008

wgrider Wrote:Well I have 2 brand new Athern RS-1's not even out of the box yet that I ordered 2 decoder boards for and to tell you the truth I'm a bit nervous about opening them up let alone installing the boards. So a bit of a well documented how to would be much appreciated.

Lynn, i dont have a tutorial on installing decoder "boards", but they are easy to install Wink .

Once you get the shell off the engine, you will see the cicuit board(providing the engine has a board, Ahtearn BB for example do NOT have circuit boards), place your decoder board next to the engine, so its in the same position the circuit board in the engine is in. look at the wires going into the engines existing circuit board, and take note on where each wire goes into it.

now take the wires off the cicuit board thats on the engine, pull the board out, now place your "decoder board" in the engine, and connect the wires to it, exactly in the same places the engines original circuit board had them, THATS IT Thumbsup

Believe me, its MUCH easier then it sounds, really Wink .

If you have problems, and have a way to post pics of your progress, DONT WORRY, we'll walk you through it Wink Smile .

Re: MRC ALCO PA decoder with sound - LynnB - 12-17-2008

Thanks Deano you sure made it sound simple. Before I pull any wires out I'll take a pic . I hope to be doing the dcc swap very soon , I'm slowly cleaning up the layout for running and getting work done on the new hill.