Beginnings-Where we started - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Back Shop (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+--- Forum: Remembering Our Fallen Flag Members (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=67)
+---- Forum: Sumpter250 (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=82)
+---- Thread: Beginnings-Where we started (/showthread.php?tid=2144)

Pages: 1 2

Beginnings-Where we started - Sumpter250 - 12-26-2009

We (the staff) have been discussing the posting of photos, and the suggestion came up to show where we began, by posting photos of our earliest works.
The purpose here is to show that we haven't always been as "accomplished" as we are now.
The hope is that those just starting, can see that improvement does come with time, and even the best, (not me :o ) had to start somewhere.
The one shot I have of my first layout,in the mid to late fifties, a 4' X 6' "table":    
One of my first attempts at scratchbuilding, all sheet and stick Balsa:        
And this, about 4-5 years later:    
There you have it. Now, let's all show where we started. There's no shame in being a beginner.

Re: Beginnings-Where we started - e-paw - 12-28-2009

Here's my Americanised version of a Beyer-Garrett. I did it when I was about 14 years old (I think). She still runs.

Re: Beginnings-Where we started - tomustang - 12-28-2009

I have excuses, not photos

We were really poor growing up, I ran the trains and never photo'd anything about them but at this point in life I am into the hobby more than ever

Re: Beginnings-Where we started - Gary S - 12-28-2009

This is a grest idea for a thread. I had some trains in the late 60s, but no photos of any early modeling attempts. Would love to see other's though.

Re: Beginnings-Where we started - eightyeightfan1 - 12-28-2009

Here's a picture of my apartment layout from the late eighties. Its N scale, and freelanced version of the Central New England. Notice the Life-Like bottle brush trees, the out of the box Atlas bridges, and the Bachmann 4-8-4 Berkshire. The stones are real, and glued one by one in place.

Then I read my first issue of Model Railroader magazine. Then another issue, then another and.....You get the idea.
Same area, new bridge, weathered, Woodland Scenics trees and ground foam. The embankment is still stone by stone construction. Most of the techniques and materials I read about in Model Railroader back then and put to practice on that layout.......

I use today.............

Just a hint to you beginners. Don't be intimidated by what you see here, on other forums or magazines. Use it as inspiration
improve your techniques. You're always going to have some bad examples when you first start. But like the rest of us, we all started somewhere, and there is a bunch of stuff that ended up in the circular bin next to the workbench. Even if you think a project you don't think is worthy of posting here, post it anyway. Use what comments the folks post to your advantage. Thats why we are all here, to learn from each other. Even us "old school" modelers are still learning. Just don't think, your first try has to "look as good". None of our first tries did.

Re: Beginnings-Where we started - MountainMan - 12-29-2009

And AstroTurf grass...? Thumbsup

Re: Beginnings-Where we started - Sumpter250 - 12-29-2009

Here is another example of developing skills.
The top caboose in this photo was built in 1960, with hand scribed Balsa, from a May 1960 Model Railroader article.......I was not yet seventeen.

The middle caboose, was built in 1968 with Northeast Scale scribed basswood sheet and basswood strips and shapes.
The bottom caboose, was built in 1998 with scribed styrene sheet, and styrene strips and shapes.
The evolution of materials, and modeling skills can be seen. All three were built using the same article.
MountainMan Wrote:And AstroTurf grass...? Thumbsup
I suspect that the grass in Eightyeightfan1's first photo was either a commercial "grass mat", or died sawdust. The Woodland Scenics scenery materials work so much better.
I hope that the "time lines" of progress shown here, clearly show that progress is not "rapid", it takes time to develop skill, technique, knowledge of how to best use a material, and simply putting a vision, into something "of substance".
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:Just a hint to you beginners. Don't be intimidated by what you see here, on other forums or magazines. Use it as inspiration
improve your techniques. Even us "old school" modelers are still learning. Just don't think, your first try has to "look as good". None of our first tries did.
Cheers
I know I still have a lot to learn, and there's no better way, than to see what someone else has done, and then, stop, and realize that a. it can be done. b. it can be learned. and c. I can, someday, do that or maybe even better.

I don't need letters after my name ( MMR, for example). Just the look on people's faces when they first see my modules at a show, is all the reward I could ever need. I am still learning and improving, so I can continue to earn "that look" on their faces.
So. If you've been reluctant to post photos of your work. Here is the place and the time to stop being reluctant. Let's see what you can do now, and we'll hope to see improvement over the following years..........and help where we can.

Re: Beginnings-Where we started - doctorwayne - 12-29-2009

I started in model railroading in the mid-'50s, although most of what I did was build kits and run trains. My Dad built a 4'x8' layout for me, and if I can find a picture of it, I'll post it later. After the usual break for "other activities", Wink I got back into modelling in the early '70s, starting with a scratchbuilt HO scale blast furnace. Working at a steel plant, I was able to obtain about 30 sheets of full-size blueprints for the prototype, with an offer of "more if you need 'em". (I wish that I'd kept them.)
Construction was mostly basswood structural shapes and sheets, with some sheet styrene used for the furnace shell. Brickwork was both Holgate&Reynolds (for exterior walls) and commercial brick paper (for interior walls and floors). Living in a small apartment at the time, and with a baby on the way, I ran out of space (the completed model would have been about 6'x8') and money, and eventually broke-up the unfinished model. Much of it was scrapped, but some given away and one of the modified overhead cranes kept for many years in a shoe box.
Here's a photo of part of the prototype:
[Image: EFurnace-view9-1.jpg]

And the same area on the unfinished model:
[Image: ModelofEFurnace-view1.jpg]

The furnace pad and slag pit wall were cast in-place, using dental plaster.
Here are a couple more views:
[Image: ModelofEFurnace-view2.jpg]

[Image: ModelofEFurnace-view3.jpg]

And the rescued crane, now in use on my layout. Other than a couple of broken handrails replaced with plastic ones, the model is sheet styrene with structural shapes (handrails, bracing, etc.) in milled basswood. The only commercial parts are the wheels, hook sheaves (ship model parts) and some bearing caps from a 1/32" model of a Russian T-33 tank:
[Image: Freightcarphotosandlayoutviews04.jpg]

After a move to a more spacious location, I decided to build a photo diorama. It was about 6' long and intended to have two levels, the one shown and another open field scene on the top. The latter was never completed. Construction was dental plaster over window screen, which had been stapled to the 1"x2" framework. Telegraph poles were from Atlas, while the hydro poles, crossarms, and insulators were scratchbuilt. Trees were natural twig armatures with either foam or dyed sawdust sprinkled on foliage made from steel wool. Eek Misngth
[Image: Film2-17A.jpg]

While I still had my original trains from the '50s, like this A-B-B-A set of Globe diesels (ex-Santa Fe):
[Image: Film1-11A.jpg]

...and this John English Pacific (modified several times in the interval);
[Image: Film4-13A.jpg]

I was also amassing a roster of newer locos, including Athearn geeps:
[Image: Film1-12A.jpg]

...and Atlas SD models:
[Image: Film1-16A.jpg]

[Image: Film4-15A.jpg]

...along with more rolling stock and structures:
[Image: EGESD2481-1.jpg]

...and even scratchbuilding some rolling stock, like the express reefer shown here:
[Image: Film4-11A.jpg]

I even got brave enough to hack-up a number of Atlas diesels, giving them scratchbuilt safety cabs:
[Image: Film3-4enlargement.jpg]

The loco featured in a couple of previous photos was also an early kitbash. Originally a Bachmann model of a Santa Fe Northern, I modified the front end with Cal-Scale parts, then scratchbuilt an all-weather cab over the existing one. The tender is the original long one, shortened, and with its oil bunker opened-up and converted to coal. Always a fan of centipede tenders, I removed most of the bottom of the tender, replacing it with the upsidedown top section from a Tyco 54' ACF reefer (free from a LHS because it had been partial melted by the sun while displayed in the store's window Misngth ). The front truck is from an Athearn or MDC passenger car, while the tender's original eight-wheel trucks were cut up and joined together to create the centipede frame. Using a photo from an ad for a brass NP loco with a centipede tender as a pattern, I cut the sideframes from sheet styrene, then, after removing the unneeded detail from the original trucks, cemented the new sides in place. Springs, spring hangers, and other details were built-up using Kadee draught gear box covers and brass wire:
[Image: EGENorthern501.jpg]

It lasted into the current era (seen here on the Maitland River bridge), and now resides in Wisconsin at a well-known railroad museum. Wink Goldth
[Image: otherlocos016.jpg]

Somewhere during this activity, we finally moved to our own house, and a small but extensive layout was started in the basement. Only a couple of photos survive:
[Image: GRSNW253-view3.jpg]

[Image: GRSNW253-view1.jpg]

I was also continuing to experiment with modifying steam locos, like this MDC 2-8-0:
[Image: GrandValley5228-MDC2-8-0.jpg]

MDC 4-6-0:
[Image: GrandValley5246-MDC4-6-0.jpg]

and Tyco/Mantua 2-8-2:
[Image: GrandValley96-Tyco-Mantua2-8-2.jpg]

In 1979, I finally tried modelling a prototype, taking over three dozen photos of a pair of TH&B diesels. The models are from Athearn, the only geeps available at the time. I've since remotored the 403 and added a motor to former dummy 76, and changed the trucks on both units. While they're seldom run, they're among the very few diesels which I still have:
[Image: THB76-403-view3.jpg]

[Image: THB403-76-view3.jpg]

The photos above appeared in Model Railroader magazine's Paint Shop in Feb. of 1980, a much appreciated occurrence, as I had been modelling pretty-much in isolation up to that time, not sure that my work would pass scrutiny. Prior to the appearance of the article, I had been asked to display the models at a LHS, and was surprised, when I returned to the shop a week later, to be asked to paint some for others. Ultimately, that's what lead to the magazine article, as I was getting tired of doing the paint jobs (brush painted for many, including mine, with some hand lettering and, of course, the major body modifications , too). It didn't seem to encourage many to try painting their own, though, as I eventually ended-up doing about 70 of them. 35 35
This also led to more painting jobs for others, including a lot of these, when their prototypes were new (models are Bachmann, all that was available at the time):
[Image: CNWXGrainHopper-Bachmann.jpg]

...and quite a few "one-offs", like this brass 44 tonner, hand lettered for local car builder National Steel Car:
[Image: NSCGE44-tonner-Keystone.jpg]

I also tried more prototype modelling, including this tank car, built from an Athearn 62' tank car, and using on-site sketches which I made of the prototype car:
[Image: CGTX20857-modifiedAthearn.jpg]

Free-lancing continued to be of interest, too, with two of these weed-sprayer cars built:
[Image: EGEweedsprayer.jpg]

...and this generator car (for work and wreck trains) kitbashed from a Varney stockcar, with some parts from an Athearn geep, and some Silver Streak castings:
[Image: EGE105-MoWpowercar.jpg]

[Image: EGEMoWpowercar.jpg]

Of the models show, few remain in my possession. These include the John English Pacific (one of my first steamers, acquired "used" in the '50s), the structures shown in the colour shot of SD24 81, two of the express cars shown behind that Pacific (saved only for their Central Valley trucks and brake gear - they'll be scrapped when the trucks are needed), the two TH&B geeps, and one of the two weed sprayer cars.

For some strange reason, I am unable to post all of this because "Your message contains 10369 characters. The maximum number of allowed characters is 10000.", so it's concluded in the following post.

Re: Beginnings-Where we started - doctorwayne - 12-29-2009

Like Pete, I continue to learn new techniques and materials, and strive to push myself beyond my current skill levels. Probably the most important thing that I've learned is that, while you can read articles on modelling and look at photos (both enjoyable and informative pastimes), sooner or later you simply have to "just do it". Start with a simple project with which you're comfortable, and gradually take on more complex projects which interest you - "interest" is an important factor, especially when you come to an impasse in a project - it's what keeps you searching for whatever you need to carry on. And, of course, we all have this and other forums, where we can ask for help or advice. It's a great time for anyone just beginning in model railroading, as it is for us old-timers.

Wayne

Re: Beginnings-Where we started - Will_Annand - 12-30-2009

Well, I have a page on my website about my oldest projects... Circa 1970

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.muskokacomputes.com/CVR-Layout-04.html">http://www.muskokacomputes.com/CVR-Layout-04.html</a><!-- m -->

Re: Beginnings-Where we started - tetters - 12-30-2009

Holy crap Wayne! Confusedhock:

Icon_lol

Re: Beginnings-Where we started - nachoman - 12-30-2009

Interesting topic and photos. Unfortunately, The first photos I took of any of my models were shortly before joining this forum (the old forum). I don't have any photo documentation of anything I did during my "younger" years.

Re: Beginnings-Where we started - Sumpter250 - 12-30-2009

nachoman Wrote:Interesting topic and photos. Unfortunately, The first photos I took of any of my models were shortly before joining this forum (the old forum). I don't have any photo documentation of anything I did during my "younger" years.

The photo of my first layout is the only "photo documentation" I have of those years. I do, however have several of the models I built back then, so I can take and post pics of them. I kept those models to remind me of where I started........it helps to keep me "grounded", and to stay aware of how far I have come, and how much further I can expect to go.

Re: Beginnings-Where we started - Gary S - 01-03-2010

I just remembered that I do have something from around 1972 when I was 12 years old or so. I built this little station out of balsa wood with sandpaper shingles. Wow, that was a long time ago!

[Image: image.php?album_id=125&image_id=1739]

[Image: image.php?album_id=125&image_id=1738]

Re: Beginnings-Where we started - Gary S - 01-03-2010

I didn't mention it earlier, but Wayne, you never cease to amaze me. That is some fantastic stuff up there. I always wondered why you apparently never had any of your modeling displayed in the magazines. It is of interest to note that your TH&B locos were in the limelight. They look great.

doctorwayne Wrote:And, of course, we all have this and other forums, where we can ask for help or advice.

Other forums? What other forums? I thought The Gauge was the ONLY forum! Confusedhock: