''Morganth'' an intermodal based DCC layout - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Mainline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: N/Z and Smaller Modeling (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: ''Morganth'' an intermodal based DCC layout (/showthread.php?tid=242)

Pages: 1 2 3 4

''Morganth'' an intermodal based DCC layout - upnick - 12-18-2008

Hi All,

Getting used to the forum here and look forward to being here Big Grin

Here is my layout in N scale using the NCE procab.

After almost three years and a house move i made a start in earnest on my N gauge layout 'MORGANTH', the boards having been ready for some time used for a workbench whilst chipping my loco collection.

[Image: 48094914b88adc85a.jpg]

The plan came from a search on the net for a layout to fit the size of board i have ......

[Image: 48094914b88adef69.jpg]

Living in a one bedroom flat the layout lives in a corner of the bedroom in an L shape its main dimensions are 6ft X 2FT6'' to the right of the door with a curved section to finish 2ft long at the door end the other board at right angles 6ft X 2 ft an extension in line 4ft X 6'' will bring it also to 2ft 6'' wide where the boards meet being removable if needs be in the future.

[Image: 48094914b1884c45a.bmp]

Board 1 has the majority of track planned though more will be laid to have a give a good intermodal area, with the upper level leading across the part finished bridge which i have covered with wood planking to the mine..... now the search is on for track with guard rails for the double track bridge.

[Image: 48094914b88b26a2d.jpg]

[Image: 480949425bf056516.jpg]

For the backboards a rock theme is emerging as a good base for scenics with storage tracks the lines passing a waterfall in the corner a large pool under the bridge onto the mine and its storage yard, passenger locos will share the route.

The line at the front of the board here with the turnout serves two purposes ..........

[Image: 48094914ba05516dc.jpg]

1. To lead on to the turntable and double engine house and fuel pad as i need to turn the 'Big Boy' locos around somewhere goinginto a small storage yard space, a shunter working next to the turntable will add more interest after cars have been left there from the mainline.

2. A programme track very handy for set up and testing.

All in DCC using the NCE power pro, with three auto reversing modules.

[Image: 4809494a53882c9ac.jpg]

[Image: 4809494a53883cb7b.jpg]

The board after cutting out for the enlarged turntable now 12 '' in diameter it was lined with 80 thou black plasticard sheet 30mm deep strips, a second layer of plasticard was applied with more contact glue the joints staggered, after a sanding inside the lining i smeared a thin layer of PVA glue around to give a key for the two layers of plastercloth applied to give a smooth finish and cover the joints in the plastic a wet sponge helps to smooth the cloth.

[Image: 4809494a56af42baf.jpg]

I decided to build a tunnel towards the upper level from polystrene for weight lessenning and speed of construction it will form scenery at the end of board one it looks basic now but a covering of plastercloth once the basic shape has been formed with the hot wire cutter.

[Image: 48094938341889593.jpg]

After covering in plastercloth.

The backboards had polystyrene block cut thin applied, after using a chisel to dig bits out ( messy process ) this is the result.

[Image: 4809493d689c0dbe2.jpg]

Covered with plastercloth worked into the nooks and crannies well with plenty of water and the handle of a paintbrush a good covering of pigment/paint and it will be ready for dry brushing to pick out the details.

[Image: 4809493d689c30a77.jpg]

A trial fit of the bridge though it will go a lot further towards the corner still at an angle.

[Image: 480949425bf077852.jpg]

To finish a few snaps up against the rockface which has recieve its first coats of pigment though an overall covering of white is on the cards.
I couldnt resist runnig my Kato Southern Pacific SD40 - 3 with Con Cor bilevel cars by it.

[Image: 480949453cf62baa5.jpg]

[Image: 480949453cf6c4c22.jpg]

[Image: 480949453cf692b0f.jpg]

[Image: 480949453cf65f2da.jpg]

[Image: 48094914ba0592f81.jpg]

One of my latest conversions to DCC Kato/Con Cor U-50

[Image: 48094914ba05b0ff7.jpg]

One of a pair of Kato PA1'S in my photobox.

Re: ''Morganth'' an intermodal based DCC layout - Trucklover - 12-18-2008

Nick glad to see you were able post here Goldth The layout is looking good and i really like the rockwall Thumbsup Thumbsup That SP SD40-2 is sharp too and looks good pulling those autoracks Misngth Thumbsup

Re: ''Morganth'' an intermodal based DCC layout - Jesso - 12-18-2008

Yea! Layout pictures! Keep us up with your progess! Thanks for sharing!

Re: ''Morganth'' an intermodal based DCC layout - LynnB - 12-18-2008

Oh ya I like layout pics. I see you already found a way to add onto the existing benchwork for the turntable, funney how we tend to do that.
Keep the pics coming and don't be shy I'm on Hi-speed. Cheers

Re: ''Morganth'' an intermodal based DCC layout - mooreway - 12-18-2008

I enjoy seeing how others fit layouts into the avalible space. Looks good. I look forward to seeing your layout progress.

Re: ''Morganth'' an intermodal based DCC layout - upnick - 12-26-2008

Hi All,

I hope you all are having a good holiday and Santa brought plenty for the railroads to keep you busy Big Grin
My goal was to have a continuous line after catching up on jobs around the flat, the track supported on poly blocks later to form the incline on board two coming back down to board one.
The mine is visable on the video here towards the corner in its near final place, though fitting in point work to split the line into three onto it and pass the waterfall in the corner is going to be a challenge, and i would like any suggestions /ideas as to how to achieve it,
[album]256[/album]
I made a video of one of my Big Boy locos with both Kato A&B smoothsided coaches, sorry about the lighting quality in the room.
[Image: th_dde60f95.jpg]
My Kato Bullet train made a quick appearence too .......... Goldth
[Image: th_c0ac87d1.jpg]

Re: ''Morganth'' an intermodal based DCC layout - upnick - 01-08-2009

Hi All,

A complete tear down of the tunnel and upper level this morning and track change will still carry three tracks but two lines into the tunnel from board one will allow passenger trains and frieght to split on the upper level the mainlines elevated two inches more to meet the bridge.
The rear track exiting the tunnel splitting onto the bridge, the inner track slightly lower over onto a shorter bridge running along side the double track bridge to the mine, also this week having to found a better way of creating scenics and rockfaces wit foam board and made a start on the waterfall area the banks disapearing into the corner, the mine has taken some space from the intermodal area but plans for an extension to board two will allow storage and movements within the intermodal area to and fro.
The board will hinge to allow access to the far corner if needed.

[Image: 48094966084c18fde.bmp]

I am hoping to get a Model Power three way turnout wired up for the mine to all three tracks, giving more operational interest a small layout on its own once operating.

[Image: Picture571.jpg]

Scenics so far look basic but shaped and painted with foliage and grasses i'm sure it will all come together.

Re: ''Morganth'' an intermodal based DCC layout - Cannonball - 01-09-2009

Very nice looking layout you have going.
I could only dream of having the space for something like that.

Re: ''Morganth'' an intermodal based DCC layout - upnick - 01-09-2009

Cannonball Wrote:Very nice looking layout you have going.
I could only dream of having the space for something like that.

Hi Cannonball,

Thanks Big Grin

The layout lives in the corner of the bedroom if i had another room the layout would be bigger and i would do a double deck one N scale and the other HO Goldth
Have you thought of an end to end set up ? with plenty of planning they can be really good, especially in N scale

Re: ''Morganth'' an intermodal based DCC layout - upnick - 01-14-2009

Hi All,

Snaking tracks along the front of the board now the programme track still needing to be settled and finalised as far as scenery is concerned still looking basic but foundations of the mainlines Big Grin

[Image: Picture601.jpg]

Twin tracks exiting the upper tunnel area.

[Image: Picture605.jpg]

Differences in the two upper levels at the end of board one before the bridge ....... the upper two tracks carrying passenger traffic the lower leading to the mine ........ the white plastic tube over the wires is only temporary while working the scenics to protect them.

[Image: Picture612-1.jpg]

Looking from the door end of board one the SP loco heading for the mine track followed by an E8 passenger.
Once the forms are carved and shaped / scenics added it wll look a lot better Big Grin

Re: ''Morganth'' an intermodal based DCC layout - upnick - 01-22-2009

Hi All,

Having a couple of days back as holidays i spent it lining the backboard on board one with more foam to create the background basis to the rockface, still looking a bland uniform white the effects of the carving out is coming on well.

The waterfall area i am not sure where to have the waterfall itself either in the corner at an angle or inline with board one ........ in the corner will break the eye i'm tempted to go with this idea more.

Construction of the tunnel sides is finished sprayed over with a thin coat of grey to see the effect of the rockface ....... though the tunnel overall is to square at the moment needing some shaping still ...... when i'm happy with it a good cleaning ofv the track inside the tunnel and the top will go on ......... an end board with a piano hinged access panel on the outer side of it in case of derailments is next to be done .. along with filling in between the sections of foam where needed with black miliput.

[Image: Picture637.jpg]

Tunnel mouth at the front of board one with an undercoat of grey sprayed on.

[Image: Picture630.jpg]

Overall view into the corner.

[Image: Picture628.jpg]

A start made on forming the area near the waterfall to create a chasm with the water forming a pool.

[Image: Picture627.jpg]

I am tempted to get out the jigsaw and cut the board on the far side of the front piece of track here to give the impression the water goes deep underground under what is to be the intermodal yard.

Re: ''Morganth'' an intermodal based DCC layout - Trucklover - 01-22-2009

Its looking good nick, and the rock faces are turning out well Thumbsup Misngth

Re: ''Morganth'' an intermodal based DCC layout - upnick - 01-23-2009

Hi Josh thanks Big Grin somebody said make the tunnel a lot higher so thats in the planning now .. talking of plans did you get my mail with the plans not seen you about to ask you Goldth

Re: ''Morganth'' an intermodal based DCC layout - Trucklover - 01-23-2009

upnick Wrote:Hi Josh thanks Big Grin somebody said make the tunnel a lot higher so thats in the planning now .. talking of plans did you get my mail with the plans not seen you about to ask you Goldth

Are you making the tunnel high enough for double stacks to make it through there?

And yes i did get the plans that you e-mailed me, but none of them really attracted me lol. It was cool to look at them though, just to see the kind of stuff that was published by MR. Makes me want to get my steel mill tri-level layout to them to see if i could get it in there lol Misngth

Re: ''Morganth'' an intermodal based DCC layout - upnick - 01-23-2009

Trucklover Wrote:
upnick Wrote:Hi Josh thanks Big Grin somebody said make the tunnel a lot higher so thats in the planning now .. talking of plans did you get my mail with the plans not seen you about to ask you Goldth

Are you making the tunnel high enough for double stacks to make it through there?

And yes i did get the plans that you e-mailed me, but none of them really attracted me lol. It was cool to look at them though, just to see the kind of stuff that was published by MR. Makes me want to get my steel mill tri-level layout to them to see if i could get it in there lol Misngth

Hi Josh the tunnl is high enough for double stacks to get through ...i tested it Icon_lol on top of the level of the tunnel is now as high as the back boards but i am going to make it twice as high for more impact. Goldth

Get the plan sent off to MR .lol

Oh btw sent you a message on AMR