Charlie b's layout - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Charlie b's layout (/showthread.php?tid=2463)

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 11-21-2012

I have been tied up, the railroad went to the dogs last week. I went to Bedford, Pa and met a lady that handed off one of the Samoyeds (Delaware 16)from a hoarder seizure in Delaware and PA. there are 44 dogs. Mid Atlantic Samoyed Rescue <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.samrescue.com">www.samrescue.com</a><!-- w --> is doing the vetting and finding homes for them. The little guy I transported spent Friday night with us and his forever mom picked him up at noon Saturday and took him home to Columbus, Oh.

He decided he wanted to be close to me for the night on Friday so he laid beneath my computed desk while I was answering my mail. I was surprised that our Bonnie and Beck neither one objected. Somehow they know when these guys need help.

I spent the last two days building shelves in my tiny work room so I could get things up off the work area so I could at least work on some projects for the railroad. With that done I started to build a building kit and make a few minor repairs. Nothing worth taking pictures yet.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING everyone.

Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 11-27-2012

Hi Blue
I had my eye doctor appointment today and they will schedule me for cataract removal and set up the appointment and give me a call.
I can still see ok but the cataracts are to a point where they should be removed.
I spent the last 3 days doing odds and ends on the layout, and I had been putting off installing decoders in some older locomotives. I did 4 Atlas FP7's that still need the bodys painted and I also install decoders in older Athearn locomotives, An SD7, A Trainmaster, a GP7 and a PB1.            

I also installed a 4 foot flourescent light over my workbench. It sure makes it easier to see. he doctor said things would be a lot brighter after the surgery. Maybe I'll have to take the lamp down.. Misngth
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - cn nutbar - 11-27-2012

Hi Charlie---I'm always impressed when you post pictures of your layout---good luck with the upcoming cataract procedure

Re: Charlie b's layout - Ralph - 11-27-2012

Cheers Best wishes with the cataract surgery. Wow! The headlights in those diesels are bright!

Ralph Wrote:Cheers Wow! The headlights in those diesels are bright!

Hi Ralph, I use warm white LED's , those are 3mm and they sit back about 3/4 of an inch from the lens. That is one of the better advantages of the DCC being the constant lighting, and the directional control. I think I will do some exterior cleaning on those units. The PB1 was an Ebay find but I bought the other units when the new Athern drive came out about 30 years ago. I think the GP7's were 9.95 plus $3 shipping from SMC in California. Long gone now. The trainmaster and SD7 were high ticket then too, I think they were 12.95. I was surprised at the low current draw on them. Another unit I have yet to do is a Model Power E7 with the big can motor. The one I have only draws 1/2 amp on a full stall.
Charlie

cn nutbar Wrote:Hi Charlie---I'm always impressed when you post pictures of your layout---good luck with the upcoming cataract procedure

thanks for the well wishes Ed.  I think they have this operation pretty well covered. After having our first Sammie have the surgery and seeing how well it worked for him I am not too concerned. I know there are all ways risks but I sure don't like my eyes the way they are now.  I get by in the light OK, but driving after the sun goes down is out of the question right now.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Tyson Rayles - 11-28-2012

Lights look great, best of luck with the cataract surgery, I need the same thing but need to deal with the other first.

Re: Charlie b's layout - faraway - 11-28-2012

There is really no reason to worry about. My brother got one eye fixed last month and the other one due next week. It is pure routine like putting an Kadee coupler on an Atlas engine for us. Don't worry at all Thumbsup

Re: Charlie b's layout - teejay - 11-28-2012

Looks good ...I've always had a soft spot for trestle pics ...never seen one I didn't like . Best of Luck with the surgery !!

T

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 11-30-2012

Some friends from the railroad days showed up with some trains to run yesterday. We spent a good 8 hours just having fun.
The sound is way too loud.....
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoKx8PqDNHE&list=UU9KIqwlIhm0GYcP-WBhwviA&index=1&feature=plcp">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoKx8PqD ... ature=plcp</a><!-- m -->
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - cn nutbar - 11-30-2012

OMG Worship Worship Worship Baldwin Centipedes,triple headed J's---what an operating session Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: Charlie b's layout - Tyson Rayles - 12-01-2012

Sounds like a lot of fun Charlie! Cheers

Re: Charlie b's layout - Ralph - 12-01-2012

I always enjoy videos of your layout in action. My cat Lucy does too. She came right into the room and jumped up to get a close look just like the last time!

Re: Charlie b's layout - Harry - 12-01-2012

nice Video Charlie !!!! Popcornbeer Cheers Thumbsup

Re: Charlie b's layout - Puddlejumper - 12-02-2012

Very nice video Charlie. I found it interesting that you had a pusher on your passenger train. I have been told by many, and read also, that PRR did not use pushers on passenger trains, as there was always one car somewhere in the middle of the train that was sometimes being pulled, sometimes being pushed, and resulted in a rough ride for the Passengers. I do agree that, when possible, the helper (or helpers) was always added to the head end for that reason. However, I am ABSOLUTELY CERTAIN that I have seen a photo of a PRR passenger train with a pusher on Horseshoe Curve, and can't for the life of me find it again. I recall it had 2 K4s up front and an M1a on the rear... alas I can't find it and no one believes me.

I don't know why, but the notion of a passenger train with a pusher, and the circumstances under which this would occur, really interests me.

Dave