Charlie b's layout - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Charlie b's layout (/showthread.php?tid=2463)

Re: Charlie b's layout - faraway - 01-11-2013

Glad to read that!

Re: Charlie b's layout - torikoos - 01-11-2013

Good to hear Charlie, hope you won't have too much discomfort from it.

cheers, Koos

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 01-11-2013

Koos, so far the only major discomfort happened when I had to open my wallet Icon_lol
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 01-30-2013

Just a few pictures to up date. I've been making trees and working on the warehouse and team track as well as repainting some F3's and FP7's

This is an armature made from copper wire. It nees some flat paint.    
charlie and the furkids....

Re: Charlie b's layout - nachoman - 01-30-2013

Charlie - that aerial shot is awesome!

Re: Charlie b's layout - Tyson Rayles - 01-30-2013

Charlie good to hear things went well at the doc's ! Picture #2 is my favorite. Worship Thumbsup

Re: Charlie b's layout - Ralph - 01-30-2013

Cheers That is a great shot! I also like the way the decal sign looks on the brick wall. Did you do more weathering onthe wall?

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 01-30-2013

Ralph Wrote:Cheers That is a great shot! I also like the way the decal sign looks on the brick wall. Did you do more weathering onthe wall?
Hi Ralph,
I wasn't happy at all with the decal, I printed it too dark (first attempt at decals) so I lightened the picture (overdid it a bit) and printed it on plain paper. I let the ink dry overnight then I sprayed the paper with Krylon crystal clear, 3 heavy coats, and let it dry for a week, then I spread a layer of Elmer's white glue on the back of the paper and rolled it in place on the building. Next was to let it dry for a couple of days. I added some more weathering to the building (a little black and brown and a little white for the cracks.) I let that dry for a couple of hours and sprayed matte finish on the whole thing. Add a EG&E car and it makes a nice spot.
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - doctorwayne - 01-30-2013

At the rate you're going, Charlie, you oughta have the layout pretty-well finished by the time of my next visit. Eek
I especially like that Barney Secord-style aerial view, but the diesels, the faded lettering on the building, and the tree armature all look good. Thumbsup Thumbsup Worship

Wayne

Re: Charlie b's layout - sailormatlac - 01-30-2013

Yep, the aerial shot for the win!

Matt

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 01-31-2013

I played around with the "furnace filter trees" today. I wanted to make some large trees as I have lots of little ones.
There are many tutorials on the web but It doesn't take too much, and you have to play around a little.
I used the green from the one use filters which were 4 for 2.88 at Walmart, the only green I could find anywhere. I got 9 large trees from a filter. I cut the fiber into strips about 3 inches wide, and did an accordion fold. I used a painted skewer stick for the trunk. I applied some glue to the "trunk" and slid the folded material on it. Next I used a strip about 2 inches wide and did the same thing, then I used one about an inch and a half.
After the material was on the trunk I cut the folds so there are separate layers, then spread them apart. Then I sprayed some dark green paint over it to give it a little body and let it dry. the final step was trimming (holding over a trash can.) I was trying to resemble a Hemlock.    

If you want a different look, spray a very wet coat of clear on it after trimming and add some ground foam.    

Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - sailormatlac - 01-31-2013

Looking good Charlie. BTW, your new billboard on the warehouse is quite convincing now, it blends well with the surrounding area. Hard to tell it's not a decal.

Matt

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 02-11-2013

A few more trees made and a few more "planted"            
And I caught a westbound with a consist of F3's    
Cheers
Charlie

Re: Charlie b's layout - Tyson Rayles - 02-12-2013

Good looking trees Charlie!

Re: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 02-22-2013

Tyson Rayles Wrote:Good looking trees Charlie!
Thanks Mike, they are easy to make too, but I found I like using golden rod stem instead of skewers because it looks more like a real trunk.
The weather here has been just yucky for want of a better word, too cold to railfan and just all around damp.
Railcop inspired me so we made a large quantity of rock and wall castings so I decided it was time to work on some cliff faces and see if I could get my stone viaduct looking more realistic.                

I hope I can make this work.
Charlie