Charlie b's layout - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: Charlie b's layout (/showthread.php?tid=2463)

RE: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 03-19-2023

I decided to go with the cinder ballast. I straightend out the track somewhat and added ballast and applied a liberal amount of glue. I use a 50/50 mix of 
Elmer's Glue All and water with a little bit of Awesome soap and about an oz of alcohol to 50 oz of the glue mix. 
I spread the ballast, then a gentle mist of window cleaner to wet it  then add the glue from a bottle like peroxide comes in dripping until everything is soaked good.
When it is dry I will remove all of the track nails.     
Charlie

RE: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 03-23-2023

The ballast has set well on the first section and I removed all the nails that held the track in place. I am laying out the north end yard now. Progress is slow but I have a system now so tacking it in place isn't too bad.      About 2/5 of this yard tacked down.  
Charlie

RE: Charlie b's layout - tompm - 03-24-2023

Looking good!

How do you ballast around the moving parts of the switches?

RE: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 03-24-2023

(03-24-2023, 07:34 AM)tompm Wrote: Looking good!

How do you ballast around the moving parts of the switches?

Tom, I haven't done the switches here yet but when I do it will be mostly outside the rails. Under the points I just apply enough ballast to cover the base and I apply the wet glue to the outside and let it weep under. You have to be careful the glue and ballast doesn't get under the throw bar. Wayne uses a little oil on the points to keep the glue from sticking which would also work under the throw. 
Charlie

RE: Charlie b's layout - BR60103 - 03-24-2023

I looked at some turnouts up here and the ballast at the switch throw rods seemed not to be higher than the bottom of the sleepers. It might take a strip of coarse sandpaper to replicate this.

RE: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 03-24-2023

(03-24-2023, 07:05 PM)BR60103 Wrote: I looked at some turnouts up here and the ballast at the switch throw rods seemed not to be higher than the bottom of the sleepers. It might take a strip of coarse sandpaper to replicate this.

I never ballasted the ties under the switch points so we would have room for snow when it fell. It made clearing the switches a lot easier. Not a problem on the Wilderson division but that was why I didn't do it with the prototype.  Even a piece of ballast in the points will keep them from closing so you had to be careful. I think some flat black paint will look OK, too late to put anything under. 
Charlie

RE: Charlie b's layout - Tyson Rayles - 03-25-2023

"I think some flat black paint will look OK"

Thumbsup

RE: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 03-26-2023

Yesterday I ballasted the north east yard. It is done all but the ladder track to return to the main yard track. tonight I laid out the 36 inch radius curve at the north end that will round the corner to the yard along the north wall. It will be a stub end with the main yard track crossing over to the main layout at the end of the curve. I ballasted the curve and applied the glue so If I have time tomorrow I will work on the ladder tracks on both yards. 
Charlie

RE: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 04-04-2023

I have been working on the yards but have forgotten to take photos. Most of the track is down and ballastedans yesterday and today I worked on the wiring. 
There are 3 power districts protected by Voltscooter breakers. That gives me a total of 9 districts on the entire layout. There are 3 different yards in the addition each has 6 tracks. Each track can be turned off so locomotives can be stored without a massive power draw. There is a switch panel for each yard which has 6 rocker switches for the track and a master reset switch for the circuit breaker.  

I used 12 gauge audio wire from the power supply to the yards with each yard having its own 12 gauge wire pair. 

Tomorrow I hope to get stuff put away so I can finish up the fascia. I think I managed  to bet the yard tracks in phase with the main layout too.  More to come.
Charlie

RE: Charlie b's layout - tompm - 04-05-2023

You are making great progress. Looking good!

RE: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 04-06-2023

I finally remembered to take some photos.  
Yesterday I installed a couple sidings with team tracks and painted around the switches where i did not want ballast interfering with their operation. I still have some little items I want to touch up and I am on the way to Home Depot for some boards to fill the gap at the rear of the yards. 

I noticed I have a slight bow in the shelf under the window but that will straighten out with the board that will fill the gap (and a little persuasion)( I can't remember ever typing that word, thank goodness for spell check  Wink . 

I will have to do some traveling for appropriate  photos to have backdrops made. I prefer my own vs common ready made. I may even print some myself, I have had good luck with background buildings. 

I still need to figure a fast way to install the bridges, and the one on the north end has to be made as well as installing the 3 switches needed to get to the bridge on the main section of the layout.                  

To be continued................
Charlie

RE: Charlie b's layout - Charlie B - 04-16-2023

It's starting to fill up. Opening boxes makes it seem like Christmas all over again. I have been repairing any minor damage i find but it is moving along.                             
Charlie

RE: Charlie b's layout - tompm - 04-17-2023

Nice collection you got there!

RE: Charlie b's layout - Amalynn - 04-18-2023

That’s a nice collection of cars and locomotives for sure. Especially love the Pennsy centipedes!

RE: Charlie b's layout - mr bachmann - 04-18-2023

yes some new locos and stock are badly needed ....

thanks for sharing .