Canadian Loco kitbash - N scale - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Scratchbuilding and kitbashing - All Scales (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Thread: Canadian Loco kitbash - N scale (/showthread.php?tid=250)

Canadian Loco kitbash - N scale - Wiredup - 12-18-2008

Moving on from the Zealot topic... I'm migrating it over here.

Status so far:

I'm taking three models. A Bachmann Lt Mountain, a Con-Cor 2-10-2 USRA, and a Con-Cor J3a Hudson, and transforming them into three of my fav Canadian Locos:

[Image: cn6060.jpg]

The Canadian National U1f Mountain 4-8-2

[Image: 3102075142_65e44ce14f.jpg?v=0]

The Canadian Pacific T1b Selkirk 2-10-4

[Image: royal_hudson_2860b.jpg]

The Canadian Pacific H1a Hudson 4-6-4/Royal Hudson

So far i've started work on the U1f as my light mountain is a guinea pig for the two Heavy Mountains which are a better fit for the U1f class. Progress so far is the running boards, and a repaint. I also modified the cab putting a back on it, but will be modeling it closer to the prototype using styrene.

Pics!

[Image: 3103423983_93a4dbcd33.jpg?v=0]

Now however, the nose is giving me a bunch of issues... I've fashioned one out of brass, and a few out of epoxy... But so far nothings been working out. Heres my progress on that!:

[Image: 3118310393_867f535fe4_m.jpg]
my brass cone

[Image: 3119135006_0e5935bde5_m.jpg]
brass cone making the mold for the epoxy....using cardstock. Maybe I should try styrene next?

[Image: 3119145266_27da49c29f_m.jpg]
epoxy in the card stock cone...

Guess what?

The epoxy deformed the card-stock and didn't make it into the shape I was hoping... too much heat from the chemical reaction I'm guessing.

So... this is my new plan!

[Image: 3119158360_c730c4ae40.jpg?v=0]

I attached the brass cone (badly) to my drill and started it up to file away the excess so that it will fix. So far... twenty minutes of drilling and I'm half way there! Gotta let the battery charge. Icon_lol

Re: Canadian Loco kitbash - N scale - Ralph - 12-20-2008

Wow Luke! Looks like a labor of love. I'm impressed! Good luck with the brass nose!
Ralph

Re: Canadian Loco kitbash - N scale - Dave Harris sctchbld - 12-20-2008

Luke, do you have a Dremel? If you do using the drill & a dremel with a cutoff disk you can shape that cone in nothing flat. If you have problems with the cutoff disks shattering drop me a PM with your address & I'll send you a few that won't -- guaranteed they won't . Thumbsup

Re: Canadian Loco kitbash - N scale - nachoman - 12-20-2008

kitbashing in N-scale is definitely a noble endeavor! I do HO and that seems hard enough!

That "cone" is a bugger :| I'd probably go about it the same way. Drill presses make such jobs easier, and as Dave suggests, so can a Dremel. One thing I try to do, is be constantly on the lookout for things that may be useful for scratchbilding. For example, pay attention to the shapes of pens, containers, lids, miscellaneous packaging, and other items that may come in handy in the future. That way, when you are thinking of how to recreate some detail - perhaps one of those items you noticed along the way will pop into your head. I don't know how big this boiler front is, but areas where I would look for a suitable cone would be: some part on a pen, the top to a squeeze tube (like the old testors airplane glue), or one of those cake decorating tips. good luck, and your progress so far is impressive!

Re: Canadian Loco kitbash - N scale - Wiredup - 12-20-2008

Cake decorating tip! WOW.... so going to a cake store tomorrow! Awesome idea... that made my eyes go wide with excitment! 2285_

Unfortunatley no dremel. My tools are pretty limited... I got a pair of drills (a Nikita set, one hammer, one torque)

As for kitbashing in N scale, it's not bad. But I find you gotta have patience, something I don't have much of... but I'm getting more and more the longer I progress in this hobby. And kitbashing these locos is becoming a big one.

I find when I start getting frustrated and mad I just walk away...which is good for me, because with my other hobby (modifiying musical instruments) I usually start throwing things. Goldth

Re: Canadian Loco kitbash - N scale - Wiredup - 12-28-2008

PROGRESS!!!!

I feel like such a door-knob. After throwing away money at this project I finally went out and picked up a $8 clump of air-drying molding clay...seeing as how bake to harden clay probably wouldn't work so well in this situation...

I can up with this!:
[Image: 3144913517_8fb514c36b.jpg?v=0]

now thats what I was trying to do all along!!!!!

how wonderful. Cheers train

Unfortunately with the recent issue of my 2-10-2 seizing up and becoming a neat shaped paper weight... that kitbash is currently on hold.

Re: Canadian Loco kitbash - N scale - Russ Bellinis - 01-02-2009

Who made the 2-10-2? If it is Bachmann, contact them about sending it in for warranty repair or replacement.

Re: Canadian Loco kitbash - N scale - Wiredup - 01-15-2009

Russ Bellinis Wrote:Who made the 2-10-2? If it is Bachmann, contact them about sending it in for warranty repair or replacement.

It was con-cor. Fortunately they are allowing me to send it back to them for some fixing! Quite excited.

Re: Canadian Loco kitbash - N scale - Wiredup - 01-15-2009

Things are progressing swimmingly on my U1f mountain class! 219

This will be CNR 6060 once decals have been applied... which is a royal PITA... those Microscale decal's disintegrated on me! Curse

Anyways... here's some photos with the play by play!

[Image: 3198815816_54caf89dcf.jpg?v=0]

Front view before the final stages

[Image: 3198815824_c121bf4a8c.jpg?v=0]

Back view before the final stages

[Image: 3198815810_6bdfc3129d.jpg?v=0]

Front after side skirts and trim piece that I'm not sure what it is... is applied

[Image: 3198815804_0781b252b0.jpg?v=0]

Time to white wall the wheels! (tender on live track...then apply throttle!)

[Image: 3198815798_2eb3456f24.jpg?v=0]

Test running with the white walls!

[Image: 3198824492_6073f832f6.jpg?v=0]

Decal application... this was the THIRD out of four decals I have... and since they don't make these decals anymore I'm very very upset that I have only one decal left for the other side of the tender... And even this one is damaged...

[Image: 3197976837_a13c434a38.jpg?v=0]

Here she is on the layout 90% complete!

All thats left is to complete the decaling, find the bell in my box of goodies, and finally... build the Canadian cab!

Re: Canadian Loco kitbash - N scale - jmarksbery - 01-15-2009

If those decals are falling apart on you, spray them with a clear coat while still on the sheet of paper and they should be fine.
Great job you are doing there, she looks super.