Converting a DC loco to DCC - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Back Shop (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=52)
+--- Forum: DCC (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=38)
+--- Thread: Converting a DC loco to DCC (/showthread.php?tid=284)

Converting a DC loco to DCC - RobL - 12-20-2008

I have an old Atlas Classic GP-38 that is a DC loco, not DCC ready... I would like to use this loco on my layout, however, I do not want to do it running as the "one DC loco" allowed by the DCC system... can anyone point me to some tutorials and/or give some advice for preparing a DC only loco for DCC? Ideally I would like the loco to have both control and sound via DCC.

Thanks,
--Rob.

Re: Converting a DC loco to DCC - woodone - 12-20-2008

We working with what scale?
Sound in a N scale diesel loco is very slim in ideas. HO scale has more options. DCC can be had in both scales.
Some easer than others

Re: Converting a DC loco to DCC - UP SD40-2 - 12-21-2008

RobL, I am going to assume your engine is HO, if you look at the DCC TUTORIALS thread i have at the top of the page in this section of the forum, you will see my Proto 1000 "Hardwire" tutorial posted there, using the same principles i have shown doing that install, that should work on your Atlas Classic engine too Wink .

Re: Converting a DC loco to DCC - woodone - 12-21-2008

Looking at Atlas information ( if it is HO scale) I would think that you could use a QSI revolution A decoder. This has both motor drive and sound.
hard part? finding a place to install a good speaker. Maybe machjineing the rear weight down for a 16MM X 35MM speaker over the rear truck will work.
Also The newest thing on the market to day is the Soundtraxx Tsunami Atlas light board type decoder. The decoder gives you better sound and motor control
(IMO) than the QSI. Still either one should give you the results that you are looking for. Chek out QSI web site for some more information, or you could look at the Soundtraxx site too. This should help you with your quest.

Re: Converting a DC loco to DCC - tetters - 12-23-2008

Hey Rob,

I'm going through the same thing tackling a P2K sw9 with a slight twist.

Deano's tutorial is excellent and should help you get enough nerve to tackle the task at hand. Thumbsup

Re: Converting a DC loco to DCC - RobL - 12-25-2008

Thanks for the links and info guys! I am thinking I will go with the QSI decoder with sound and try to get the best possible speaker I can in the frame... this is for an HO locomotive, so there should be a little room in there... I first need to make sure the loco still runs... my wife bought it for me a few years back and it took a nose dive off the layout onto the concrete floor... there was quite a bit of damage done to the body (I have the repair parts from Atlas), so hopefully the motor survived the fall!

Thanks again and good luck to those also attempting conversions!

--Rob.

Re: Converting a DC loco to DCC - woodone - 12-26-2008

YES!
Test before you install a DCC decoder. Make sure it runs good on DC first. DCC wil not make a poor running DC locomotive run any better. Most of the times it will make a poor running DC unit run worse!