A scratchbashed service station - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Scratchbuilding and kitbashing - All Scales (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Thread: A scratchbashed service station (/showthread.php?tid=293)

Pages: 1 2

A scratchbashed service station - Dave Harris sctchbld - 12-20-2008

A lot of you have probably seen this but I'm having so much fun being able to post some pics I just can't stop.

This station was built from some scraps of a plasticville suburban house & other junk. the gas pumps are scratched in brass ( & YES ---I soldered them Icon_lol I LOVE solder , must be all the lead has addelled my brain). The tires are rubber O rings . I had a wood W/Shield washing bucket & wringer on the island but it went south , the tire dunking trough is wood tho, wish I could remember what I used for water , it was not anything normally used & now I can't remember what --- darn that SOLDER Nope .

Re: A scratchbashed service station - Dave Harris sctchbld - 12-20-2008

A few more shots of it.

Re: A scratchbashed service station - Dave Harris sctchbld - 12-20-2008

This one was taken in natural light , I wish all of them had been done that way, the colors are much better. Also here is a better shot of the O ring tires.

Re: A scratchbashed service station - Steamtrains - 12-20-2008

WoW..!!! That's quite a unique building....Excellent job...!!! Thumbsup

Re: A scratchbashed service station - cnw1961 - 12-21-2008

Fantatstic Thumbsup . I love all the details you added. Excellent job Thumbsup .

Re: A scratchbashed service station - Drew - 01-06-2009

Wow!
That is some BEAUTIFUL work, Dave! Worship

And don't be shy about posting the pics! Keep 'em coming! Thumbsup

Re: A scratchbashed service station - eightyeightfan1 - 01-06-2009

Excellent!
Like the idea of using o-rings for tires.

Re: A scratchbashed service station - Dave Harris sctchbld - 01-07-2009

eightyeightfan1 Wrote:Excellent!
Like the idea of using o-rings for tires.

Thanks 88! They will work for any scale too.

They are easy & cheap , if you find the right source, Fastenal Co. has them for about 2 dollars a hundred, opposed to 50 cents each at an auto parts store.

It is quick & simple to turn them into very credible tires, I could do a how-to in Tips & tricks if there is an interest.

Re: A scratchbashed service station - Russ Bellinis - 01-08-2009

You can also pick up 382 piece O-ring assortment from Harbor Freight for $10.00. The O-rings probably work better for steam era layout set before WW2 than modern era when tires got wider, unless you have a method of gluing 2 O-rings together to make one wider tire out of them.

Re: A scratchbashed service station - Dave Harris sctchbld - 01-08-2009

Russ Bellinis Wrote:You can also pick up 382 piece O-ring assortment from Harbor Freight for $10.00. The O-rings probably work better for steam era layout set before WW2 than modern era when tires got wider, unless you have a method of gluing 2 O-rings together to make one wider tire out of them.

Russ: for HO a 1/8 inch thick O Ring works out to close to a foot wide ,except for drag slicks not too many tires are that wide. Even in S scale that approaches 9 inches , close enough for the kind of girls I go with.
Icon_lol

Re: A scratchbashed service station - Russ Bellinis - 01-08-2009

You're right I forgot about scale sizes. Sometimes it seems the O-rings are just too narrow, but probably the problem is that they tend to be too tall without modification.

Re: A scratchbashed service station - LynnB - 01-08-2009

You did a fantastic job and the o-rings for tires is brilliant.

Re: A scratchbashed service station - Dave Harris sctchbld - 01-09-2009

Russ Bellinis Wrote:You're right I forgot about scale sizes. Sometimes it seems the O-rings are just too narrow, but probably the problem is that they tend to be too tall without modification.
\

Yes ,sometimes an O ring is too large in diameter to work,especially if you want 1/8 -5/32 or more width. However they can be easily cut down & reglued to a smaller size using CA , usually leaving an invisible splice.

Re: A scratchbashed service station - Dave Harris sctchbld - 07-27-2012

I know this is an old post but I just thought I would show that cutting down and glueing an O ring works to make a tire--showing no seam either. The last picture also shows what I have setteled on as the best thing to make wheels for the junk yard out of--- they are 10/24 anchor or Crush nuts . They are about a nickel apiece at a good hardware store and when the excess is cut off they make darn good looking wheels after you put a center in them.

Re: A scratchbashed service station - AF350 - 07-27-2012

Great looking gas station, like the tires and wheels aswell. Thumbsup