And you think trains are EXPENSIVE!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Lower Berth (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=32)
+--- Thread: And you think trains are EXPENSIVE!! (/showthread.php?tid=296)

And you think trains are EXPENSIVE!! - Dave Harris sctchbld - 12-20-2008

You ain't seen nuttin' yet as far as a costly hobby. I was poking around on E Bay looking for more 1/64 cars when I spotted a 48 Buick with a buy it now price of 345 .00 BUCKS. I just had to see this , must be a mistake ---- NOPE it was real . It was a 1/43 model from some outfit called Motor City , still thinking it had to be wrong I looked at the guy selling it. He had a big feedback number & that Motor City stuff seemed to be all he had AND he had SOLD A BUNCH of them --- Many for over 1000.00 DOLLARS -- for a 1/43 scale car . I can't even get my head around how a 4 inch long mass produced ( even in limited editions they are mass produced) diecast car can fetch 1500 dollars as one Packard ambulance did.

Re: And you think trains are EXPENSIVE!! - eightyeightfan1 - 12-21-2008

Motor City?
Made in China by a company called Yat Ming.
I bought a 1/24th scale Studebaker "Golden Hawk", for $100. The guy said it was a Premier model from Motor City.
Two months later...Saw the same model in Wally-World for $24.00. The only difference.The package!
The one I bought was in a "Motor City" package.....The one at Wally World..Yat Ming!
Only if I knew then...But now I am more cautious when buying diecast.

Re: And you think trains are EXPENSIVE!! - nachoman - 12-21-2008

You may be able to pick up a worn out 48 buick for that price. 1:1 scale, I mean Smile Icon_lol Icon_lol

Re: And you think trains are EXPENSIVE!! - Dave Harris sctchbld - 12-21-2008

eightyeightfan1 Wrote:Motor City?
Made in China by a company called Yat Ming.
I bought a 1/24th scale Studebaker "Golden Hawk", for $100. The guy said it was a Premier model from Motor City.
Two months later...Saw the same model in Wally-World for $24.00. The only difference.The package!
The one I bought was in a "Motor City" package.....The one at Wally World..Yat Ming!
Only if I knew then...But now I am more cautious when buying diecast.

I know Yat Ming stuff , they make great 1/64th models for about 20 bucks or so , I have some. They are so darn nice I can't bring myself to wreck em!! I know they make some 1/24 too.
The stuff I'm seeing is 1/43 & supposedly this is ALL the outfit makes .
On the other hand who knows?
If it is allowed I could post the E Bay number so one could check the stuff out , he has sold a bunch at BIG bucks & I did google Motor City & got ther site with a bunch of propaganda about how great they were but the catalog or product list was a dead click when I tried to see it.

Re: And you think trains are EXPENSIVE!! - eightyeightfan1 - 12-21-2008

I know what you mean.
I'm gonna prove a point, and I don't want to start any fires.
Here's what I'm talking about when being careful about buying diecast, especially on e-bay.
Though I know Dave, you make them look real Good, by junking them up.Great work, wish I had your talent.

Here's two 1/24th scale Tuckers I bought, at two different times. One's, a Motor City example, that I paid $75 dollars for(Before I knew), and the other is a Yat Ming I bought at KMart for twenty dollars.

Which is which?

Re: And you think trains are EXPENSIVE!! - Sumpter250 - 12-21-2008

Quote:You may be able to pick up a worn out 48 buick for that price. 1:1 scale, I mean
Oh yeah!!! Goldth Goldth Goldth
Restoring that '48 Buick, now there's an EXPENSIVE hobby! Eek Eek