Problems with the painful procedure for placing pictures... - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Telegraph Office (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=12)
+--- Forum: Forum Problems and Requests (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=13)
+--- Thread: Problems with the painful procedure for placing pictures... (/showthread.php?tid=314)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6

Problems with the painful procedure for placing pictures... - doctorwayne - 12-21-2008

for posting. 790_smiley_picking_a_fight
Could somebody please tell me what determines "file size" as far as pictures are concerned? I have just finished re-sizing about 300 pictures, all to the required 800x600 size, only to find that the "file size is too large" when I attempted to place them in my Gallery album.
Forums such as this, in my opinion, live (or die) by their pictures. I'm not sure about Big Blue, but I'm just about ready for life-support, 'cause I'm turnin' blue. Curse

Wayne

Re: Problems with the painful procedure for placing pictures... - UP SD40-2 - 12-21-2008

Wayne, i too had problems on here with the pics, though a little different then yours. i know this doesnt solve the problems here, but i bit the bullet and just went the Photobucket way Wink , it ended up not being as bad as i thought Thumbsup .

Now my pics load with no problems, and they load much faster then the ones i uploaded to this forum's gallery Eek , i know it seems odd, you would think being here they would load quicker, but they dont.

i had over 1.200 pics on the other forum, moving them to photobucket done three major things:
1- they show up on here, or anywhere problem free
2- they load faster here then the pics from our own gallery here
3- keeping them on photobucket saves the bandwidth here

i was totally against going the way of photobucket, but now i'm glad i did Wink .

Re: Problems with the painful procedure for placing pictures... - doctorwayne - 12-21-2008

I have lots of pictures in photobucket, but posting them here automatically cuts off the right-hand 1/3 of the picture. My main gripe with photobucket is that the links seem to get broken whenever they go down for maintenance - I use it for posting on the MR Forums, as the topics generally disappear from the first pages fairly rapidly, so disappearing photos don't matter. I'm trying to re-create some of my how-tos from "that other place" Wink and would like the photos to last.

Wayne

Re: Problems with the painful procedure for placing pictures... - UP SD40-2 - 12-21-2008

Oh cripes Wayne, i have that, broken links to look forward too Curse , well, i guess photobucket WASNT the way to go Nope .

Re: Problems with the painful procedure for placing pictures... - ngauger - 12-22-2008

doctorwayne Wrote:for posting. 790_smiley_picking_a_fight
Could somebody please tell me what determines "file size" as far as pictures are concerned? I have just finished re-sizing about 300 pictures, all to the required 800x600 size, only to find that the "file size is too large" when I attempted to place them in my Gallery album.
Forums such as this, in my opinion, live (or die) by their pictures. I'm not sure about Big Blue, but I'm just about ready for life-support, 'cause I'm turnin' blue. Curse

Wayne
Remember the maximum size is also 128 K or 128000 bites

Re: Problems with the painful procedure for placing pictures... - doctorwayne - 12-22-2008

ngauger Wrote:
doctorwayne Wrote:for posting. 790_smiley_picking_a_fight

Wayne
Remember the maximum size is also 128 K or 128000 bites

But what is it that makes one 800x600 picture under 128Kb, while another 800x600 picture is well over that? All of my pictures are at the same resolution, btw, so that isn't the problem: some are accepted, others excepted. Wallbang Wallbang

Wayne

Re: Problems with the painful procedure for placing pictures... - ngauger - 12-22-2008

In whatever editing program you are using, It should have a save as feature, that allows you to comress pictures down. For example on Photostudio, I can save pictures at different percentage compressions, Mostly 80% - this resizes them to around 120k. The reason they are so large is the original camera settings (1600W X 1200 H X 8 Meg)

So the first thing I do is resize them to 800 X 600 (1/4 original size) which brings them down to around 1 meg, then using "Save As", I shrink them down in "size" to around 100 K

it may take 2 or 3 save as and reloads, but it works and looks fine.

I always keep the originals for future use too.

one more thing, if you hover over your mouse over a picture in your folder, A box should appear with the info in it. Showing the size and the memory use. Then you can see if anything is over.

I know - I've had the same problem before.. Some pictures go right up to the albums (or posts) others don't...

Re: Problems with the painful procedure for placing pictures... - nolatron - 12-22-2008

doctorwayne Wrote:But what is it that makes one 800x600 picture under 128Kb, while another 800x600 picture is well over that? All of my pictures are at the same resolution, btw, so that isn't the problem: some are accepted, others excepted. Wallbang Wallbang

Wayne

It can come down simply to the content of the photo. A well lit, bright photo taken can have a file size greater than a photo taken at night in a darker less detailed setting and still be the same physical dimensions.

I personally host all of my own photos I use in my layout thread and elsewhere for the simple sake of avoiding all the hassles of size limits forums impose.

Now you have me thinking about something else... Why are the photo's beiong cropped on the right? I wonder if there is a setting for that somewhere...

Re: Problems with the painful procedure for placing pictures... - nolatron - 12-22-2008

ngauger Wrote:Now you have me thinking about something else... Why are the photo's beiong cropped on the right? I wonder if there is a setting for that somewhere...

It's because the DIV layer for the message area ends.

Basically, the website's style sheet is specifying the space used for a post's message area is no wider than what looks like a certain percentage of screen space. Anything over that is simply cut off. depending on your monitor size and resolution that can be 800 pixels wide, or 1200, or 640, etc...

The reason behind it is so that a huge picture doesn't cover up the user data side (right side) of the page.

Take a piece a paper and cover 1/3rd of your monitor for a basic example. The rest of the screen is still there, it's just wider than the available viewing space and therefore hidden.

Ok - I'll play your silly game Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin

I have modified the settings LOL 4 times now.!!! Someone link to a picture off site and see if it shrinks it down to a thumbnail.. I set the default for thumbnails down to 1000K anything larger Should generate a thumbnail (NO Cropping) Big Grin Big Grin

{REMOVED FOR THE PIC I POSTED BELOW]

A 2,016 pixel wide image that's only 782KB

[Image: DSC00176.JPG]

Re: Problems with the painful procedure for placing pictures... - doctorwayne - 12-22-2008

Well, lets see what we get from photobucket. Here's the full-size image:
[Image: Freightcarphotosandlayoutviews038.jpg]

And here's a clickable thumbnail of the same picture:
[Image: th_Freightcarphotosandlayoutviews038.jpg]

EDIT: That must be my "lesson learned" for today: I was unaware of the clickable thumbnail option - I don't like having to click on anything to see the picture, but I guess it's preferable to seeing only 2/3 of the image.
I thought that I had the re-sizing problem taken care of with Charlie's "Re-sizing Power Toy", as I managed to re-size 600 photos in about 5 minutes. I'll check to see if there's an option for mass compression, but, if they have to be done one-at-a-time, you'll not be seeing too many of them.
Another thing that puzzles me about what the Gallery accepts is that it has taken some at over 200Kb and rejected others at less than 100Kb.

Wayne