chopped leaves - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Upper Berth (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: chopped leaves (/showthread.php?tid=3464)

Pages: 1 2 3

Re: chopped leaves - WT fan - 12-28-2010

I've used a blender for my scrap yard.
[Image: 09-03-09_IMG_6705_scrap_yard.jpg]

This way I've got a scrap pile and bales for my module Diamond Valley.

[Image: 09-03-01_IMG_6701_scrap_yard.jpg]

Wolfgang

Re: chopped leaves - P5se Camelback - 12-28-2010

Great idea!

Thanks, Wolfgang! Cheers

I've been saving the foil covers from the coffee creamer bottles and Italian Ice cups without knowing why ... just that I'm a model railroader and I do that kind of thing. Now I know why I save them! 8-)

(I keep them in one of the 1 lb. coffee cans that I've save and painted MOW Yellow, labeling them with a black Sharpie® in nice block letters and placed the can up on a shelf in the garage with the other yellow-painted coffee cans labeled "Pocono Red Shale Dust," "Wilkes Barre Dirt" and "Scenery Mat'ls - Pulverized Pine Needles.") Confusedhock:

Re: chopped leaves - WT fan - 12-28-2010

I've used candy wrappers, those have some color.

Wolfgang

Re: chopped leaves - tetters - 12-28-2010

Very Cool idea Wolfgang!

Re: chopped leaves - joefryfry - 12-28-2010

Forums would benefit from a "like" button like Facebook has so you can like a post you don't really want to comment on.

Re: chopped leaves - ocalicreek - 12-28-2010

Quote:I've been saving the foil covers from the coffee creamer bottles and Italian Ice cups without knowing why ... just that I'm a model railroader and I do that kind of thing. Now I know why I save them!

biL - you've got serious issues. Wink I mean I've got jars of washers, nuts, bolts, etc. but I don't think I'm saving anything without some inkling as to how it will be used. Maybe not today, but someday.

Joe - glad you found some time for your hobby. Is there a particular reason you want to use leaves, vs. something simple like sculptamold?

Galen

Re: chopped leaves - Ralph - 12-28-2010

Wolfgang, brilliant use of scrap wrappers for a very convincing scrap metal pile! Thumbsup
Ralph

Re: chopped leaves - joefryfry - 12-28-2010

ocalicreek Wrote:
Quote:I've been saving the foil covers from the coffee creamer bottles and Italian Ice cups without knowing why ... just that I'm a model railroader and I do that kind of thing. Now I know why I save them!

biL - you've got serious issues. Wink I mean I've got jars of washers, nuts, bolts, etc. but I don't think I'm saving anything without some inkling as to how it will be used. Maybe not today, but someday.

Joe - glad you found some time for your hobby. Is there a particular reason you want to use leaves, vs. something simple like sculptamold?

Galen
Better color? Don't know. First time. Have to use something.

Re: chopped leaves - Chuck - 12-29-2010

I think I am going to try the ground leaves, but I have a question -- why bake the leaves? Shouldn't they already be dry from sitting in the corners of the garage? Thanks!
Chuck

Re: chopped leaves - Sumpter250 - 12-29-2010

Chuck Wrote:I think I am going to try the ground leaves, but I have a question -- why bake the leaves? Shouldn't they already be dry from sitting in the corners of the garage? Thanks!
Chuck
.......Kills the bugs......and/or their eggs and larvae.
There's just something a little unattractive about scenery "flying away a bit at a time" when "things" hatch. Icon_twisted

Re: chopped leaves - P5se Camelback - 12-29-2010

ocalicreek Wrote:... biL - you've got serious issues. Wink I mean I've got jars of washers, nuts, bolts, etc. but I don't think I'm saving anything without some inkling as to how it will be used. Maybe not today, but someday.
... Galen

Aw, c'mon Galen ... you've never looked at a piece of fairly thick foil and thought, "Ooooooouuu! I'll bet thatwould come in handy! I could probably make corrugated metal of some such thing out of that stuff, if I had enough of it! Or maybe like ... old beat up 55-gallon drums or something!" Thumbsup Big Grin

You don't have a collection of dead BIC pen barrels or a baby food jar half-full of rust scrapings? or a zip-lock baggie full of dirt from a place near where your prototype ran? You don't? Really? :o 357

I don't believe you! Nope

Re: chopped leaves - MasonJar - 12-29-2010

P5se Camelback Wrote:
ocalicreek Wrote:... biL - you've got serious issues. Wink I mean I've got jars of washers, nuts, bolts, etc. but I don't think I'm saving anything without some inkling as to how it will be used. Maybe not today, but someday.
... Galen

Aw, c'mon Galen ... you've never looked at a piece of fairly thick foil and thought, "Ooooooouuu! I'll bet thatwould come in handy! I could probably make corrugated metal of some such thing out of that stuff, if I had enough of it! Or maybe like ... old beat up 55-gallon drums or something!" Thumbsup Big Grin

You don't have a collection of dead BIC pen barrels or a baby food jar half-full of rust scrapings? or a zip-lock baggie full of dirt from a place near where your prototype ran? You don't? Really? :o 357

I don't believe you! Nope

I have that collection of foil - from wine bottles, champagne, and even some Scotch. Half the fun is in the collecting...! Wink

Andrew

Re: chopped leaves - Russ Bellinis - 12-30-2010

MasonJar Wrote:I have that collection of foil - from wine bottles, champagne, and even some Scotch. Half the fun is in the collecting...! Wink

Andrew

Andrew you could have some serious issues with you liver if you empty too many of those wine, champagne and scotch bottles to collect that foil!

Re: chopped leaves - MasonJar - 12-30-2010

Russ Bellinis Wrote:
MasonJar Wrote:I have that collection of foil - from wine bottles, champagne, and even some Scotch. Half the fun is in the collecting...! Wink

Andrew

Andrew you could have some serious issues with you liver if you empty too many of those wine, champagne and scotch bottles to collect that foil!

Russ,

I appreciate you looking out for my health! Wink But not to worry, it's only a small collection... Big Grin

Andrew

Re: chopped leaves - joefryfry - 01-04-2011

I did get time to chop and put some leaves on my layout. I don't think at N scale that you can chop them fine enough, but I'm pretty happy with the results. May post a pic before I dismantle the mistake I have built.