My "Southern Rwy & Graham County RR" layout - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: My "Southern Rwy & Graham County RR" layout (/showthread.php?tid=3774)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12

Re: My "Southern Rwy & Graham County RR" layout - Waldbahner - 11-15-2012

Hello folks,

some time past by without any progress on the N-scale layout.
Since I got the big Shay into running condition, I spend some time for other railroad stuff, mostly european narrow gauge. But nothing to show up with now.

Well, in October 2013, my layout will be shown on the German US-railroad-convention in Rodgau. Looking at all the work to be done for this show, I should go back to the workbench. Therefore I'm back on my Southern-division and did some new pogress yesterday. My goal is to get the module "Woods Furniture" done until end of this year.

Yesterday I added the roofs to the furniture plant and many details. There are still many parts missing and I'll go for another work session next weekend to get the structure done. After that I'll build a general store structure for some old fashion super market and a road bridge to get all structures for the module done.

Here're two pictures of the furniture plant building. The white wall will be alligned with the edge of the module and will be painted in the module base colour like I did it on the grain elevator.

Cheers, Gerd

Re: My "Southern Rwy & Graham County RR" layout - Tyson Rayles - 11-15-2012

Nice job on the furniture company! Thumbsup

Re: My "Southern Rwy & Graham County RR" layout - Waldbahner - 11-19-2012

Hi Mike,

meanwhile the structure is finished with the last remaining detail parts and signs. I also build the Roscoe Store to make a little supermarket scene in front of the tracks including a concrete parking lot and bill board. Next I'll assemble another small structure for this module and will then start with a road bridge to be placed across the tracks on the left end of the module.

[Image: Fur_9.jpg]

[Image: Roscoe_1.jpg]

Cheers, Gerd

Re: My "Southern Rwy & Graham County RR" layout - Tyson Rayles - 11-19-2012

Great looking store Gerd!

Re: My "Southern Rwy & Graham County RR" layout - Waldbahner - 11-21-2012

Hi Mike,

I really like the Laser-Art kits. They are great to build and looking much better :-)

Well, here's the next update. I weathered the tracks and did some terra forming on the modules. I added slight hills. Once the plaster is dry, I'll add ground colour and start balasting the tracks. Oh, I decided against the road bridge mentioned above. I guess the bridge would be too much. The area in front of the curve will be a grain field while I place some trees in the background.

(Well, the white plaster isn't good to see in this shot.)
[Image: Ground_1.jpg]
[Image: Bridge_6.jpg]

Cheers, Gerd

Re: My "Southern Rwy & Graham County RR" layout - Tyson Rayles - 11-21-2012

Thumbsup Very stout benchwork!

Re: My "Southern Rwy & Graham County RR" layout - Waldbahner - 11-21-2012

Hi Mike,

the benchwork construction was shown earlier in this thread. Meanwhile I added curtains to hide the clutter...
[Image: cur_2.jpg]

The last update for today are two more houses build from laser kits. Tomorrow I'll start with the ballast since the plaster isn't fully dry yet.
[Image: House_1.jpg]

Bye, Gerd

Re: My "Southern Rwy & Graham County RR" layout - Brakie - 11-21-2012

Gerd,Your "Woods Furniture" building looks good.. Thumbsup I also did like that kit since its a huge industry. Thumbsup

Re: My "Southern Rwy & Graham County RR" layout - Waldbahner - 11-22-2012

Hi Larry,

thanks, but to be honest, a REAL industry building would be even larger.

I checked some prototype scenes and comparing the DPM-structure with them, the N-scale building is a tiny one.
In my case, that's not a big problem, the rest of the company is located "behind the edge" of the layout 8-)

Gerd

Re: My "Southern Rwy & Graham County RR" layout - Tyson Rayles - 11-22-2012

"but to be honest, a REAL industry building would be even larger."

Gerd there are furniture companies smaller than that building. We had two close to here. The one in Bryson was about the same footprint but was only one story tall, however it had several out buildings so square footage wasn't a whole lot smaller. There was also one in Whittier that had no outbuildings was 2 stories tall and had a footprint of about half that. There is also a custom furinture company near Franklin that is housed in a building that is only about 100' by 100'. The one in Bryson was Singer and the one in Whittier was Drexel/Heritage so some of these were among the biggest names in the business back then. There was also a furniture company in Robbinsville at one time and it was also smaller than the Wood's kit so if you are shooting for accuracy in the area you are representing you need to cut that building in half! Icon_lol

Re: My "Southern Rwy & Graham County RR" layout - Brakie - 11-22-2012

thanks, but to be honest, a REAL industry building would be even larger.
--------------------------------
Compared to that 40' boxcar its large enough for rail service.

The one I planned on buying was going to be used as North American Knitting Company that makes uniforms for the military.Inbound would be boxcars of cloth and tank cars of dyes with empties out.

Re: My "Southern Rwy & Graham County RR" layout - Tyson Rayles - 11-22-2012

Yeah Larry, the Wood's kit is plenty big enough to justify rail service. Of the four I was talking about three had regular rail service.

Re: My "Southern Rwy & Graham County RR" layout - Waldbahner - 11-23-2012

Hm...

I guess I've to learn more about industries in the USA.
I know a couple of furniture plants in my area in Germany and they are much bigger than the kit ones. Anyway - good to know that I'm on the right way and the furniture company has a realistic size.

I'll post a progress update later this day. Meanwhile the tracks are ballasted and I can start with the ground textures.

Cheers, Gerd

Re: My "Southern Rwy & Graham County RR" layout - Tyson Rayles - 11-23-2012

Gerd if you go to one of our "cities" you could find furniture companies 10 times the size of that kit, but you picked a very backwoods/small town area. You can't have a furniture company that employs 2,000 people when the population of one of these towns is 800-1500. By the time you rule out the kids/elderly and those working at all the other businesses you only have an available work force of 100-300 people. It makes no sense to build a huge plant when there is no work force. Why then build the plant at all? Back then this area (and plenty other areas just like it) were desperate for jobs for those other 100-300 people. The kids would grow up and have to leave the area to find work so the companies knew they would work for minimum wage and no benifits (sp?), it also didn't hurt that these areas were union free as well.

Re: My "Southern Rwy & Graham County RR" layout - Waldbahner - 11-26-2012

Good morning,

here's an update on the module "Woods furniture". I actually started with the vegetation, but I'm back at work now and the progress will become slower the next time. But it's going forward.

[Image: Ground_3.jpg]

[Image: Ground_4.jpg]

Bye, Gerd