CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale (/showthread.php?tid=385)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - nachoman - 02-28-2010

Sumpter250 Wrote:You have done an excellent job building those truss segments. It's good to see this kind of work still being done. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Cheers

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - steinjr - 02-28-2010

That's a beautiful truss bridge!

Grin,
Stein

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - cnw1961 - 03-01-2010

Absolutely fantastic job on that truss bridge Worship Worship .

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - tetters - 03-01-2010

Thanks guys but hold the applause. I'm not done with it yet. I started detailing it tonight with some scale nuts and bolts from Gandt Line. Tedious, not fun. But, man the pay off is going to be so worth it I think. I finished off one half of the center truss and I'm excited with the progress and look. When I get some more done tomorrow night I'll try and throw some pics up for you all.

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - bdw9535 - 03-05-2010

tetters,

If your still looking for NY RR's in Color volume 2, check this site <!-- w --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.goldenspike.us">www.goldenspike.us</a><!-- w -->

Bruce

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - Steamtrains - 03-06-2010

Bruce...You're probably sadistic, mischevious, and heart-less on top of it all.....How am I gonna explain to the little lady the big bite that's being made to the budget after browsing through that site..?? Nope

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - tetters - 08-29-2010

Hello,

Back at it since taking a break for a few months there. Going at it like gang busters too.

95% of the track for the layout has been painted. Just a couple of spurs left to do. I was getting tired of looking at the bare rails and naked wood ties. But. I wanted a quick and dirty way of getting it all painted which would allow me to move on to other things. While scanning the aisle of the local Home Depot, I spotted some "flat" or "matte" leather brown Tremclad Rust Spray Paint. Yep. I decided to give it a shot and did a three foot section to get started and was happy with the results, both color wise and ease of application. I did a few feet each night to keep the fumes down and eventually got most of it done. If anything the Tremclad provides a good base coat for other color applications as it seems to have bonded well with the Nickel Silver rail. I should have taken a close up shot of it...maybe next time.

Getting close to the completion of the pier for the harbor area as well as some ballasting for a good chunk of the track work.

[Image: DSC03995.jpg]

[Image: DSC03994.jpg]

If you look carefully, I've laid some small boards in between the planks. These boards are removable for now, as I will need to access the screws under these boards to remove the pier in order to stain it. I plan to do that today. I think I'll stain it a brown color to make it look "drier" then the piles used to support the main structure which I used a diluted creosote stain. Once I get it stained for the final time, I'll glue these boards in place, and place a bead of silicone underneath a retain wall structure that supports a good chunk of the pier. This will serve three purposes. It will act as an adhesive, it will allow me to spot the location for the remote Tortoise mount, decoder, and finally seal any gaps that the Envirotex might seep into when I am ready to pour the water...which is a long way away at this point.

The gap in between the pier and "dry land" will be filled by a wood block retaining wall, to also be installed sometime today as well. More to come in the days ahead.

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - Gary S - 08-29-2010

Good info for the spray paint and weathering the track. I've got a ton of track to do, and am not particularly looking forward to doing it all by brush. But as you mention, with the closed up room, I am concerned with using spray paint. Still, a little at a time as you did, not that bad. Maybe this will be a good project for fall when it is cooler and I can open the windows and door for ventilation.

Great to see you back at the layout and back at The Gauge, Tetters. Thumbsup

Gary S Wrote:Good info for the spray paint and weathering the track. I've got a ton of track to do, and am not particularly looking forward to doing it all by brush. But as you mention, with the closed up room, I am concerned with using spray paint. Still, a little at a time as you did, not that bad. Maybe this will be a good project for fall when it is cooler and I can open the windows and door for ventilation.

Great to see you back at the layout and back at The Gauge, Tetters. Thumbsup

I forgot to mention... wear a respirator. I did. Saved me a world of hurt I'm sure. Misngth

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - cnw1961 - 08-29-2010

Wow, the pier is a mighty fine piece of modeling! Do you know how long you worked on it? Anyway, great to see you working on your layout again.

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - Steve - 08-29-2010

The Truss bridge.................................................. Worship
The pier............................................................ Worship
The thousands and thousands of spikes and ties.............. Worship Worship Worship

You truely are a glutton for punishment.......and I salute you for it! Thumbsup Wink

BEAUTIFUL WORK!!!!!

cnw1961 Wrote:Wow, the pier is a mighty fine piece of modeling! Do you know how long you worked on it? Anyway, great to see you working on your layout again.

Hi Kurt. I started modeling the pier about two weeks ago...I think. I did a lot of measuring to make sure that I chopped all of the piles to the right height. The basis of it is a 1/8 thick sheet of craft plywood I picked up at Michaels in the modeling section. I then measured out every 12 scale feet and used 12 x 16 scale lumber for the stringers to the piles to rest on.

About that "resting" part.

Each stringer and pile were pre drilled to accept a piece of .039 music wire. I then tapped the music wire into the stringer and then the pile with a dab of Carpenter Glue on the ends. The cross bracing I just guessed and used some 3x12 lumber for it.

About half of the width though is supported by a retaining wall made from a row piles glued to 1/2 strips of craft plywood. So its not all stringers and piles. To be honest, you can barely see the retaining wall once it is mounted to the lake bed. I probably could have saved myself some work and moved the retaining wall closer to the perimeter.

I also got to thinking about the Truss Bridge and how it as a structure would affect the pier. The contant motion of rocking up and down, shoving, pulling, twisting, you name it, just how it might impact the pier in the real world... if such a combination structures were ever to exist? So I doubled up the piles towards the end of the pier, just to make it look more beefed up. I have also left the last two rows of stringers empty, until I figure out how to incorporate the pivots for the Truss Bridge.

Looking forward to getting the track laid on it and test it out with a string of box cars. Thumbsup

THANKS STEVE!!!! Big Grin

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - tetters - 08-31-2010

ARRRGH! Bit of a set back last night when I began spiking the turnout on to the pier for the float bridge. I should have probably tested the craft plywood for "spike-ability" and found that it does not take spikes very well. In other words...it like trying to spike into a rock! :evil:

So, for every spike I drive I've been pre-drilling a pilot hole into the decking in order for the spikes to seat properly without them bending all to heck. At one point out of frustration, I removed the turnout ready to snap. (...it also did not help that yesterday was as humid as all hell and the house was taking forever to cool down when I got home and had just turned the AC on...) But after a couple beers and regaining my composure, I went back at it and eventually got the turnout installed, in gauge and functional. I also must admit that the pilot holes make for a smoother and cleaner looking spike install.

One extra step I did not anticipate, but I'm kinda set on course right now so getting the track laid is going to take sometime. The good news is, with the turnout spiked in place, I can at least move ahead as planned with the Tortoise install before I affix the whole works in place.

I hope to get the Tort and the Remote Switch installed tonight, maybe even wired up and tested. Then I'll proceed with finishing the track work for the pier.

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - Gary S - 08-31-2010

Alright Tetters! Drilling a bunch of tiny pilot holes for the spikes will refine your character! Well, that, along with a couple of beers that is...

Misngth

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - P5se Camelback - 08-31-2010

I started reading this thread last night, as I have discovered a couple threads here that I had not read and absorbed in their entirety. When I arrived here, at the final post to date, it was a disappointing discovery! However, I must say ... Mr. Tetters ... a fine body of work so far! This is really quite an impressive and an ambitious undertaking which, I'm sure, will reap enormous operational enjoyment benefits at the far end of the build! This is a scene that in the few instances where I have seen it modeled on a layout has been basically an installation of a handfull of semi-related kits.

Your well-documented build ... the well-thought-out planning, the fabrication of needed parts, the construction of sub-assemblies and, from what we have all seen unfold before us, the anticipated final assembly of all of the different models necessary to portray this scene will be a tremendous tribute to your personal dedication to representing this well-conceived waterfront rail operation. Worship Worship Worship

Thank you for sharing, Tetters! I have subscribed to this thread ... I look forward to receiving notification of future posts!