CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale (/showthread.php?tid=385)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - tetters - 09-01-2010

Thanks for the kind words Bil. That made my day when I read your post. Thumbsup

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - tetters - 09-06-2010

Well, I am sorry first off, that I did not take a lot of pictures of the remote Tortoise install. This project has sort of become an all consuming exercise. I've been struggling with too...mentally and physically. Second, as I hinted at in my post about gluing rail to wood that I would not be spiking the rail to the deck. Well, I worked on my "technique" and began spiking the rail to the deck as I intended to in the first place. Some may not like it. Some might. I think that they are starting to grow on me. With a bit of weathering and track painting I think that this will turn out, I just have to hang in there.

[Image: DSC03999.jpg]

Just a shot pre staining showing the lift out boards in order to screw the whole thing down.

[Image: DSC04000.jpg]

I had to chop a couple of holes in the lake in order to fit the mechanical stuff. Misngth

[Image: DSC04003.jpg]

A shot of the guts before fix this sucker in place.

[Image: DSC04004.jpg]
[Image: DSC04005.jpg]
[Image: DSC04006.jpg]

Finally a string of Doc Wayne's handy work to make the whole thing look good! Big Grin

I still have to finish spiking down the last three tracks. However, I ran out of spikes! Can you believe it! I was scratching my head moments ago thinking,
"Golly, I thought I had a lot more then this???"

Perhaps I may actually wire this thing up tonight, install some feeders where needed and call it a night.

Until next update. Ciao! Cheers

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - Gary S - 09-06-2010

Worship Worship Worship

TETTERS!

That turned out perfect! Great mechanical work underneath, and the track work looks great along with the staining. But I gotta ask one question... How does a person go about getting his hands on some of DocWayne's handi-work???

Again, Tetters, this turned out E X C E L L E N T! Thumbsup

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - tetters - 09-06-2010

Gary S Wrote:But I gotta ask one question... How does a person go about getting his hands on some of DocWayne's handi-work???

Simple, buy them! 35 You probably remember he was selling a bunch of rolling stock a while back. I snagged a couple of items from him. They are very nice models indeed. Thumbsup

Thanks for the kudos too man!

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - Gary S - 09-06-2010

I think I was on my MRR hiatus when the good Doctor was selling his more modern stuff. :x

Have you tried the turn-out/tortoise yet?

There is definitely an attraction for me to the harbors and the car floats and such, but it doesn't fit what I am modeling, so it is fun to see what others are doing with this theme.

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - doctorwayne - 09-07-2010

tetters Wrote:....Finally a string of Doc Wayne's handy work to make the whole thing look good! Big Grin

Hah, Shane, you hardly need any assistance from me to make your work look good. Wink That deck looks really nice with the rails spiked in place. I would have opted for the easier "deck over flextrack", but am not surprised by your choice. Thumbsup Thumbsup Goldth

Wayne

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - doctorwayne - 09-07-2010

Sorry, Gary, but my more modern cars were sold a few years back - even then, there was probably nothing modern enough for your layout, as most of it was mid '70s stuff.

Wayne

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - tetters - 09-07-2010

doctorwayne Wrote:
tetters Wrote:....Finally a string of Doc Wayne's handy work to make the whole thing look good! Big Grin

Hah, Shane, you hardly need any assistance from me to make your work look good. Wink That deck looks really nice with the rails spiked in place. I would have opted for the easier "deck over flextrack", but am not surprised by your choice. Thumbsup Thumbsup Goldth

Wayne

Thanks Wayne,

It sure doesn't hurt to have those box cars around. They are my favorites right now, I move them around a lot with the loco when I just "play" trains.

I gotta say. Sometimes I can be my own worst enemy. When I started spiking initially, I was getting a little impatient and the effort to put in one spike was driving me nuts. You know, you have those moments when you should just walk away from it but you don't and just end up getting more and more p.o.'ed regardless of what ever it is you are doing? I think I've got a high level of personal stress these days which isn't helping me. But I digress. I have regrouped my efforts will continue to proceed as planned.

So wilst I await the opprotunity to get more spikes, I think I'll do a long awaited clean up and watch those box cars roll onto the pier. Cheers

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - Gary S - 09-07-2010

tetters Wrote:When I started spiking initially, I was getting a little impatient and the effort to put in one spike was driving me nuts. You know, you have those moments when you should just walk away from it but you don't and just end up getting more and more p.o.'ed regardless of what ever it is you are doing?

I know what you mean! Last night, when realizing that I had 200+ nut-bolt-washer castings to install, I was Wallbang . But then I had the wonderful thought of enlisting the wife to help, and as I drilled holes, she installed the nbw's! Went quickly!

DocWayne: Not to disrupt Tetter's thread, but mid 1970s would fit perfect with my late 1970s theme. At some point when I get back to doing rollingstock, and with your permission of course, I would like to build and paint a couple of era approproate EG&E boxcars for my layout.

Now, back to the thread topic - Tetters, the photos of your work look just as good this morning as they did last night! Thumbsup

Gary S Wrote:Have you tried the turn-out/tortoise yet?

I missed this the first time around. Yes. I did get the mechanicals wired up last night and had a chance to try out the Tort with the remote mount. I happy to report that it works rather well, in other words, it does what its supposed to do. It's a little daunting at first as it is a bag of parts when you get it. Pay close attention to the Teflon tube and stainless steel wire clamps as they all look the same, however have slightly different grooves and alignment tabs. I played with the pieces for a while until I was confident about where they were going. A careful read and re-read of the instructions certainly did not hurt either. Misngth About those instructions. They are very detailed and superb, the only way Circuitron could have made them better is by having some one install it for you.

I did test the set up before hand with a 12v power supply before I wired it to the decoder to check how well it would throw the points, as suggested by the instructions, which I would absolutely recommend to anyone putting one of these in. I also increased the guage of the throw bar wire as I have done with all my turnouts for a heavier spring action at the points.

A bit of pre planning made the connections a snap. I wired all my existing track feeders for the turnout to a terminal block and then ran a slightly heavier gauge wire back to the DCC buss. The decoder also has two wires which were connected to the buss. Plus a fifth and final wire to the HFJ for the turnout frog. I had the connections made in a matter of minutes, which was a relief to me.

I have some other track feeders I can install tonight for the existing rail that I have spiked down. I might get to some painting and weathering the track and deck tonight as well. I also have to finish the front row of piles and notch out the pier so that it can accomodate the float bridge.

Still a ways to go on this structure, but I'm happy I'm moving along on it. Smile

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - cnw1961 - 09-07-2010

tetters Wrote:[Image: DSC04000.jpg]

I had to chop a couple of holes in the lake in order to fit the mechanical stuff. Misngth

Guess yours is the only layout that is leaking Goldth

I like the spiked track, nothing wrong with that ... it is all well worth the effort Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - mountaingoatgreg - 09-07-2010

Tetters,

Just read throught all your posts and I AM IMPRESSED!!!!

If i ever get bored with the Oregon Trunk I will model a float operation of some sort. They are a great "industry" and add great depth to any layout I have seen them used on. I really enjoy looking at your trackwork and the construction of you float operation. I will be checking back often for updates!! Keep up the great work!!!

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - Ralph - 09-07-2010

That is brilliant work!!!! Worship Worship Worship
Ralph

Aww shucks... thanks guys! Big Grin

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - tetters - 09-14-2010

Just a quick update so I don't lose my thread. I've almost finished spiking down the track to the pier.

One more stretch of track to go! 2285_

I'll install some wood bumpers, paint the rail, weather it all and post pics later tonight when I'm done.