CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale (/showthread.php?tid=385)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - Sumpter250 - 09-16-2010

BR60103 Wrote:Tetters, a conceptual question. How long do you figure the pier deck has been there? What I mean is, did it see steam loco service or all diesel? Steam locos would have dripped oil/grease outside of the rails, where the cylinders and motion were, while diesels tend to drip in a line near the middle of the track.

Steam era, and early diesel era rolling stock, (and early diesel locos), had "oiled journals", which leaked oil on the ties just outside the rails. It was that same oil that gave wheels a dark color, instead of a more red/orange rust, seen on modern rolling stock, and locos.
By the same token, the rails close to my home had ballast that slowly acquired a heavy layer of Taconite pellets, which darkened the area between the rails, and to some extent, outside the rails also. There was always some "leakage" from the older "bottom dump" hoppers, and drop bottom gondolas, so a heavy traffic in any "hoppered" product, could "color" the rails and ties. Up hill tracks got lots of sand, downhill tracks got lots of brake shoe dust.

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - Justinmiller171 - 09-16-2010

P5se Camelback Wrote:
... you could put a couple sea gulls on top of a few of them and have small dabs of white paint on top and streaking down the sides!

Don't listen to him Tetters Nope

Save some paint and go outside and collect some of the real thing! Thumbsup

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - cnw1961 - 09-16-2010

Justinmiller171 Wrote:
P5se Camelback Wrote:
... you could put a couple sea gulls on top of a few of them and have small dabs of white paint on top and streaking down the sides!

Don't listen to him Tetters Nope

Save some paint and go outside and collect some of the real thing! Thumbsup

Great idea! If sound is not enough, this is the next and ultimate step to realism for your layout: smell!!! Goldth

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - tetters - 09-16-2010

EEEWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW!!!!

Misngth

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - bdw9535 - 09-16-2010

tetters Wrote:Secondly, but not that critical, is I was thinking about placing a row of piles about 3'- 4' taller then the height of the deck along the edge of the pier. What do you folks think about that idea?

Popcornbeer
The first two pics are from Port Newark, NJ everything is basically flush except for a raised wooden edge to keep vehicles from driving off the pier. The last one is from Atlantic City,NJ at the sea clam docks. They have pilings evenly spaced along the docks approx 5' higher then the dock itself.

Bruce

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - tetters - 09-20-2010

Did some more work on the pier etc this weekend. I spent most of my Saturday drilling holes and tapping piles into the "lake bed", then staining and painting them. I still need to darken them up a bit more. I also made a little add on to the pier and then constructed two catwalks that extend out along the outside of the float bridge as indicated by the Site Plans for the bridge. I also plotted the dimensions for the "float" that sits under the bridge at the end. The float will also be cut into the lake bed, and will conveniently house the Tort for the points on the left track as well as provide a convenient place to run feeder wires for the track on it as well as the decoder for the Tort.

I gotta get some rail on that bridge... 35

Anywho, I snapped off a bunch of pictures, as I was playing with my new digi cam.

[Image: SAM_0023.jpg]
[Image: SAM_0027.jpg]
[Image: SAM_0025.jpg]
[Image: SAM_0024.jpg]
[Image: SAM_0022.jpg]

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - Gary S - 09-20-2010

Looks like some very fun and interesting work, Tetters. All the pilings and the structure underneath the pier are nicely done. Are there going to be stairs or a ladder from the big pier to the smaller pier?

[Image: SAM_0023.jpg]

Gary S Wrote:Looks like some very fun and interesting work, Tetters. All the pilings and the structure underneath the pier are nicely done. Are there going to be stairs or a ladder from the big pier to the smaller pier?

Way ahead of you. I was fooling with the idea of fabricating two of those nifty Ladders (there is a catwalk on each side) that one our members made a while back for a caboose, or was it a tender for a steam loco? I can't remember? It might have been the good Doctor Wayne, or one of the other Steam Aficionados on the board.** I'll have to do a search and find the tutorial. I'm pretty sure I book marked the thread.

However, I'm more focused on getting the bulk of the work done in order to get all the track work and electronics aspects in and working solid. Then, I'll turn my attention to the details. But believe me, I am thinking about it.

**NM - found it; http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2583&p=43616&hilit=caboose+ladder#p43616

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - cnw1961 - 09-20-2010

Those taller piles are a great improvement! Makes the pier look even more interesting ... oh man, I wish I had your patience ... Worship

cnw1961 Wrote:... oh man, I wish I had your patience ... Worship

Oh...PUH-LEEEASE!!!

This coming from a guy who makes scenes that would make any so called expert cry with envy! Icon_lol

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - Gary S - 09-20-2010

tetters Wrote:Oh...PUH-LEEEASE!!!

This coming from a guy who makes scenes that would make any so called expert cry with envy! Icon_lol

Tetters, I was thinking the same thing!

And I also think that a ladder a la DocWayne's will be perfect for the LBPs to get to the lower pier. Hey... any shrimps in them waters? Man, we could have a whole fleet of shrimpin' boats...

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - tetters - 09-21-2010

Gary S Wrote:Hey... any shrimps in them waters? Man, we could have a whole fleet of shrimpin' boats...

Like Forest's dear friend Bubba said, "Shrimp is the fruit of the sea. You can barbecue it, boil it, broil it, bake it, sauté it. There's, um, shrimp kabobs, shrimp creole, shrimp gumbo, pan fried, deep fried, stir fried. There's pineapple shrimp and lemon shrimp, coconut shrimp, pepper shrimp, shrimp soup, shrimp stew, shrimp salad, shrimp in potatoes, shrimp burger, shrimp sandwich. That's, that's about it."

To this day, I cannot think of shrimp, without remembering Forest Gump. What a great movie. Big Grin

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - MasonJar - 09-21-2010

Definitely could find a place for a little shack on the dock with a "BubbaGump" sign over the door...! Wink Icon_lol

"course, they'd hafta be the freshwater shrimp in Scarborough...

Andrew

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - Gary S - 09-21-2010

tetters Wrote:To this day, I cannot think of shrimp, without remembering Forest Gump. What a great movie. Big Grin

One of my top three ever.

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - tetters - 09-21-2010

MasonJar Wrote:Definitely could find a place for a little shack on the dock with a "BubbaGump" sign over the door...! Wink Icon_lol

"course, they'd hafta be the freshwater shrimp in Scarborough...

Andrew

Oh...if only I had room to build a bigger harbour I'd be all over that! Reason tells me though that the RR wouldn't allow anyone other then RR facilities to be constructed on the pier. They wouldn't even allow ships to moor at the pier unless they were property of the RR. Plus the approach track is not idealy situated to allow any ship to shore off loading as IMHO it would get in the way of RR operations.

Things I think about while working on projects like this. Details like "Private Property", "No smoking", and even signs facing the water that say, "No Docking Allowed!". A scene showing a crew in a small sail boat tied off to pile that is slowly sinking while the Pier Supervisor looks as the gallant crew climbs a rope ladder to escape... stuff like that runs through my head.