CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale (/showthread.php?tid=385)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - Steamtrains - 09-18-2009

Holy cow...!!! You've got the patience of Job, and the hands of....hmmmm...Let me see....Not me, that's for sure...!!! Misngth
Great work on that bridge...just like everywhere else...!!!! Thumbsup

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - tetters - 10-31-2009

Things have been kinda slow on the layout front. I'm waiting on an order of flex track, that should have arrived oh, like last month but apparently just shipped and should finally land on my door step next week. Shoot Curse

I've been plugging along with other projects though like this one. I was trying to figure out a way that I could light the structures that I have been working on. I prefer LED's except for the fact that for exterior lighting fixtures, they are too big, awkward, or hard to disguise. IMHO.

So I got to looking a Grain o' Wheat / Rice bulbs. 1.5 volt kind. For obvious reasons, one cannot just plug in a wall transformer and wire this up. I blew a few, trying to figure out ways that it could be done... Wallbang So, internet here I come. The great thing about the World Wide Web is that it is almost a given that someone else has already figured out how to solve the problem that you are having. What makes it even better is when that person takes the time to show you how they did it and give up some pretty decent instructions so you can make your own.

http://www.awrr.com/awrrhome.html

So there you have it. With this little contraption I should be able to wire up 160 of the little buggers using this "simple" power supply. So I built one for myself to try it out. Bear in mind that this is wired up directly to your house electrical supply depending on where you live that could be from 115 - 220 volts. So be careful. :o

[Image: DSC03366.jpg]
[Image: DSC03367.jpg]

This did not go off with out some hiccups. For some reason the voltage on the right side (top) was running a little too high and still buring out bulbs. I contacted the author who returned my e-mail right away. He was very helpful and offered a couple of suggestions. I had to wire in a second parallel resistor (470) to the 47 ohms one (I actually used 27) to drop the voltage to a manageable 1.3 vdc. On the left (bottom) I experienced no such trouble and actually dropped a lower value resistor in place of the 47 ohms one and used a 27 instead. So the voltage on the left side is at a comfortable 1.1 vdc. I was shooting for a lower voltage off the start in both circuits in an effort to tone down the brightness and also make the bulbs last a bit longer. You can actually see the difference a couple of points in the voltage makes be viewing the bulbs side by side.

Now, I wonder...is there already a commercially available product like this? I looked and couldn't find anything. Perhaps I just didn't know what to call it. For now I just call it the Voltage Reducer Thing-a-ma-bob or a V.R.T. for short. Misngth

All in all a fun little diversion while still making some head way. I can see how this can be used by running buss wires the entire length of the layout and dropping feeders from each structure to power the lights. Neat.

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - Russ Bellinis - 11-03-2009

Anytime you want to build a device to reduce voltage, especially if you are talking 1.5 volts from 110, you need to check your actual voltage at the wall. It is a common practice for electrical companies to increase the voltage if they have heavy usage and haven't built in more power availability. This is probably a more common problem in industrial applications, but remember that transformers are linear. If a transformer is designed to drop the voltage from 110 to 12, if the power company gives you 125 volts, your actual power will be 13.6 volts. Most 12 volt devices will handle 13.6 without a problem. Now, if you are reducing 110 volts to 1.5, and the power company gives you 125 instead, you will end up with 1.7 volts. A 12 volt bulb may handle 13.6 volts ( especially since most 12 volt bulbs are actually design for 14 volts). A 1.5 volt bulb probably will not handle 1.7 volts.

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - doctorwayne - 11-03-2009

Shane, I'm not sure if this will be any help, but the first thing that sprang to mind for me was to use a "wall wart" with an appropriate rating of, say, 1 volt. I'm not sure if such a device exists (when taking layout photos, I always run my camera from a similar 3 volt device that plugs into a regular 120 volt receptacle), but here's some INFO on working with such devices. I use a variable output (adjustable) wall wart to power my sole Tortoise switch machine, too. Wink

Wayne

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - tetters - 11-03-2009

Thanks for the input Russ and Wayne.

That webpage you linked to Wayne has given me an idea. It is certainly a cleaner looking set up that is for sure. Thumbsup

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - tetters - 11-16-2009

I was going to wait until later this week to post up some progress photos but couldn't contain myself...

First a couple of things...I tried the flex track...I really did. I laid down four lengths of it and did not like it. Nadda one bit. So I pulled it all up and placed an order for some wood cross ties which arrived last Thursday and I started doing what I found like doing best. Hand laying. Now I know a couple people will probably tell me I should have given the flex track another College Try. But I just wasn't up for it. I like the freedom that the hand laying gave me on the last incarnation of this layout, and I'm liking it even more. Plus I really like spiking down track and have found that this time around, I'm actually quite good at it. So on with the show. Beside, now I have lots of fresh track I can strip rail from if I feel some of the salvaged stuff doesn't make the grade when it comes time to lay down some more rail.

[Image: DSC03392.jpg]

This is a shot of my double x-over just around the bend on the west end of the layout bench work. There are three turnouts just off camera, which you can't see. I am gluing down the third one off camera and it is weighted down until the adhesive cures. Wiring up the x-over was ridiculously easy with the HFJ. Four wires, one from each frog to an SPDT micro switch each on the unit plus the appropriate track feeders and voila! Done. I also used hot glue to help mount the torts this time around. The glue stays liquid enough to make adjustments and hold it in place. Much easier this time around and more accurate in terms of Tort mounting. (I did have a picture but accidentally deleted it...I'll post a shot next time.)

[Image: DSC03395.jpg]

A shot of the curves going around the bend. I think they are roughly 22 inch radius, although I think they are a bit broader then that. Just because the internal radius on the curved turnouts I have is 21 inches and it is a lot tighter then the curves here. The two center tracks which pretty much run the length of the layout are code 83 rail. All sidings and yard tracks are code 70.

Now, to answer a question some might ask. I'll be painting the ties and the rail, Rail Road Tie Brown with my airbrush all at once this time with ballasting to follow. I'll clean the tops of the rail with small squares of plywood soaked in lacquer thinner and then buff them with a Bright Boy. Once the ballast is down I will paint some rust highlights on the rail bottoms and make the center of the track work a bit dirty with some thinned down Grimy and Oily Black paints...should give me the effect I'm looking for.

[Image: DSC03396.jpg]

Last shot is of the beginnings of the yard before the wharf/pier section of the harbour area. The yard tracks are code 70 rail soldered to small rail joiners squashed and filed to get a good match for the top the rails and then soldered in place. There are three yard tracks each about four to five each which should give me plenty of room to store and move rolling stock. The outer most track is the one which the rail road will use to access the truss bridge at the end of the pier.

After all this I went through 1000 wood ties doing just this track work alone. However, I think the 2000 I have left should be more then enough to finish off the remaining track work. The yard here is what ate up a good portion of what was in the first bag.

Needles to say I've been working like a mad man since this past weekend hope to get lots more done before the end of the month. At this current rate I should get most of the track work on "solid ground" done before the end of the month. Then I can turn my attention to the pier and finish off the truss bridge I started a month or so ago. With the holiday "interference" along the way, I don't know how much I'll get done, but I'll keep plugging away whenever I get a chance.

Stay tuned. Smile

Edit - I called this the East End of the layout when I should have referred to it as the West End.

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - cnw1961 - 11-17-2009

WOW, that’s what I call progress Thumbsup . Glad you could find a place for your double x-over where it makes sense. Would have been a crime not to use it Wink

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - tetters - 11-17-2009

cnw1961 Wrote:WOW, that’s what I call progress Thumbsup . Glad you could find a place for your double x-over where it makes sense. Would have been a crime not to use it Wink

Thanks Kurt! ...and yeah, your'e telling me. It works and looks perfect where it is right now too.

I used four Torts to throw the points as I never did receive the remote mounts from Tony's. (not Tony's fault...apparently they have been having a heck of a time getting certain product from Circuitron) I saved space on the Switch8 decoder by wiring the two diverging routes together and hooking them up to one point each. So when I tell the Cab to throw accessory # 15 or # 16 it throws both points for the appropriate route I want. Easy Peesy. Thumbsup

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - Wayne R - 11-17-2009

Your handlayed track looks great. Thumbsup I have always liked the look of handlayed track. My plan for my new layout is to handlay some of the track. I already have a Fast Tracks #6 turnout jig for code 83 rail for building my turnouts. I have built a couple with it and very happy with the results.

I am looking forward to seeing some more pictures of your track work as you make progress.

Wayne Reid

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - tetters - 11-17-2009

Wayne R Wrote:Your handlayed track looks great. Thumbsup I have always liked the look of handlayed track. My plan for my new layout is to handlay some of the track. I already have a Fast Tracks #6 turnout jig for code 83 rail for building my turnouts. I have built a couple with it and very happy with the results.

I am looking forward to seeing some more pictures of your track work as you make progress.

Wayne Reid

Thanks Wayne. Thumbsup

If I could do it all over again, regarding the FT fixture, I'd have bought the # 6 double x-over fixture. I terms of versatility you can make a single turnout, a single crossover or a double all using the same jig. Right now I have a number #5 turnout and a # 6 curved. The # 6 double x-over you see in the pictures I built free hand on a paper template.

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - Wayne R - 11-17-2009

My Fast Tracks #6 turnout jig was in the mail and on its way to me when I realized I should have bought the x-over jig. Wallbang I am thinking of getting a #8 turnout jig so if I do this time it wil be the x-over one. I am thinking of using #8 turnouts for my main line turnouts and #6 for the yard. I want to run some 80' passenger cars and my brass CNR bullet nose 4-8-2 will be much happier with #8 turnouts. Smile

I actually went all out a few years ago with my idea to handlay a fair amount of my track. I bought a whole bunch of bags of Kappler Mill & Lumber ties and about 3000 Walthers code 70/83 spikes ( they have very small heads ). I also bought four 99' bundles of Micro Engineering code 83 rail as well as a about 150 pieces of 18" ME code 83 rail from Fast Tracks for building my turnouts so I do not have to cut up any 3 foot pieces of rail. I also have three 99' bundles of code 81 rail from Central Valley. Eek I bought the code 81 rail for a switching layout I was going to build. The good news is the code 81 rail matches up good with the code 83 rail so I may use it for my engine terminal as it has a very fine profile and looks great. The code 81 rail also works with my Fast Tracks jig. Goldth

Wayne Reid

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - tetters - 12-11-2009

Just a quick update. I finished laying all the track on the West end of the layout. I have four more turnouts to install on the East end which will all but complete the track work on the mainland portion of the layout. I think what I will do though is paint, ballast, weather the track work have done for the most part just to see how it turns out and then proceed from there. So far the electronics have been operating flawlessly. I installed another UTP panel and presently have two cabs for operating the layout, I may purchase another...not sure... my plan currently calls for two crew operating sessions, but I have three locos I'd like to use on this layout. I've been leaving the Power Cab in its a holder and using it soley for programming my accessories. I use a smaller NCE Cab for operating to move locos around the layout and control the turnouts. I've also finally made my own flat wire cables for the Cab and Cab Buss which is nice to be able to do. No pics, sorry, I'll take some when I have something for everyone to look at instead of a layout that looks like a bomb went off next to it.

I've been having fun though testing the limits of the present track work configuration. I've been breaking up and building 12-15 car trains. Takes about an hour or so to do, depending on whether or not I'm paying enough attention to my "work". When the yard gets bigger with the completion of the wharf and I lay the East track, I'll be able to make my goal of building and dismantling 20 car trains. I can't wait for the Holidays to be over so I can seriously focus on this during the long cold months of January, February and March. Brrr....

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - Gary S - 12-11-2009

Just found this thread. Very interesting! Lots of different things to enjoy. I especially liked you handlaid yard ladder photos... exceptional work, and I am impressed.

Looking forward to seeing more progress!

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - tetters - 01-03-2010

Totally stoked about this past weekends efforts. Fighting a nasty sinus cold and fed up with laying flat on my back, I got mad and got to work. I'm telling ya if I could make money off of of used tissues, I'd be a millionaire by now. Nope

So,

I built four turnouts, two brand new, the other two salvaged from the previous layout. Laid a whole whack of ties...until I ran out*. Sanded and leveled those ties. Installed three of the four turnouts. Spiked down about twelve feet of track...does not sound like much, but you'll have to trust me on this. Then got really ornery and installed, three Torts, wired them to the decoder and programmed them as well. Programming was the easy part...man I hate wiring... :x

On the to do list now this week;

Install feeders for frogs, turnouts and rails.
Sand ties for remaining turnout and install the LAST mainland turnout on the layout.

Waiting on;

More Mt. Albert wood ties.
One Hex Frog Juicer.

All I have left to spike down is three tracks (code 70) for industry sidings, otherwise, the mainland track (code 83) work is done. Getting close to that Golden Spike moment. I worked a 15 car train as well shuffled cars around, in some areas using the 0-5-0 switcher on account of no power to some tracks still. I don't think I'll have any problems operating a train of this size, which is one of my design goals.

I'll make with some pics later this week. I was so busy working away that I did not snap any W.I.P. photos and right now, I am off to bed.

Pretty soon, I'll be ready to paint, ballast and weather the installed track. Thumbsup

(*the total count of wood ties is now at 3000!)

Re: CP Scarborough Harbor Branch Line - HO Scale - cnw1961 - 01-04-2010

Apart from the cold, it sounds very good. Hope it is getting better soon and the pics you want to take won’t get all blurry because of all the sneezing Wink . So you are not very far from working on the scenery anymore ... looking forward to it.