Oversize loads - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Upper Berth (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=7)
+--- Thread: Oversize loads (/showthread.php?tid=4095)

Pages: 1 2

Oversize loads - Lester Perry - 06-07-2011

I spent my adult life in the trucking industry. I know about over size loads there but was wondering about it in Rail Roads. Over width in particular as length and weight could be handled with special cars.

Re: Oversize loads - mountaingoatgreg - 06-07-2011

Lee,

What are you interested in??

Model Railroad Hobbyist has an article this month on a neat oversize load

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/magazine/mrh-2011-06-Jun">http://model-railroad-hobbyist.com/maga ... 011-06-Jun</a><!-- m -->

Re: Oversize loads - Lester Perry - 06-08-2011

That is what raised the question in my mind. If a shipper wanted to ship something that was lets say 3 feet wider than a flat car. What did they do?

Re: Oversize loads - MasonJar - 06-08-2011

Lester Perry Wrote:That is what raised the question in my mind. If a shipper wanted to ship something that was lets say 3 feet wider than a flat car. What did they do?

It's theoretically possible to do if there are no restrictions on the right of way (tunnels, bridges, other obstructions). There are a number of oversize loads that have dictated routing. On the other hand, there are also things that were built to a specific size because they had no choice but to go through a tunnel or other limiting area.

The aircraft industry faces these restrictions when shipping parts or partially assembled aircraft to other facilities.

Andrew

Re: Oversize loads - Triplex - 06-08-2011

I can't believe this link wasn't posted already:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.garlic.com/~tomd/">http://www.garlic.com/~tomd/</a><!-- m -->

Re: Oversize loads - Sumpter250 - 06-08-2011

Thank You Triplex, there's some excellent "idea photos" there. The loads are one thing, the cradles, chocks, etc. are another great detail, and not just for very large loads.

Re: Oversize loads - Lester Perry - 06-08-2011

Triplex that was very informative and it led me to more information else where. Wide loads take years of planning and preparation. Actually any over size / weight loads take a lot of time and planning. Thank you for helping out with this.

Re: Oversize loads - mountaingoatgreg - 06-08-2011

When I have had to deal with them on the railroad it is generally started by the end consumer. They then contact the manufacturer with what their needs are and then a specialized transport company is then contacted to make the arragments. To my knowledge, most railroads have some sort of High Wide plan in place and depedning on the amount of hassel and location charge them accordingly. Once the end user and manufacturer come to terms the transport company then contacts the major carrier and they gerneally do all the handeling with the smaller carries. The last over size load we moved I had heard about it two years previously and it was a relativly small pressur vessel fitting on a single flat car. I have thought about modeling one of these strange loads but due to the area I model have no justification to do so. I am working on some of the 747 part cars as they did make some trips on the line I model. I always get a kick out of seeing them riding behind 5 or 6 cattle cars on a hot train.

Re: Oversize loads - Bob C - 06-08-2011

The safe movement of excess-dimension (High & wide) traffic is planned by the carrier. Dimensions and fouling points have been measured by a "clearance car", or equivalent equipment. http://www.prrths.com/philadelphia%20chapter/Phila_Misc_Clearence%20Car%20Story.html, and are compiled/filed for the route/line of the move. The route is meticulously prescribed for Dispatchers and crews who will move the item(s), often in dedicated train movements. Locations are pointed out for special "Walk-by" moves, "stop-in-the-wide-spot-wait" orders, "adjacent-tracks-clear", "do-not-pass-moving-traffic", etc. An occasional "Curve-ball" like a clearance move could make an operating session a real challenge and break up any "complacency" in the crews. You could also paint the most problematic part of your H&W with a fragile coating to show any inadvertent scrapes, if you like assessing "Brownies". BTW: How wide are your track centers in your chosen scale? Bob C.

Re: Oversize loads - Mr Fixit - 06-12-2011

There have been a number of articles about this topic in both Model Railroader and Trains magazines of the past few years. MR recently had a front page photo featuring oversize flat car loads.

Here is a copy of the TRAINS News Web article that is very relevant;

BNSF faces lawsuit over damaged windmill blades
Published: May 6, 2011
KANSAS CITY, Kan. — Siemens Energy has sued BNSF for damage to windmill blades that the manufacturer says occurred while they were in transit, the Wichita Eagle (Kan.) has reported. Siemens alleges that 21 blades struck an overhead bridge in Kansas City, and all were found to have damaged tips.

The blades were moving by train from Siemens’ Fort Madison, Iowa, plant to Liberal, Kan., last August when the damage allegedly occurred. Siemens is asking for $3.2 million, including $2.6 million for the blades.

Neither BNSF nor Siemens commented on the suit.

So it would appear that BNSF accepted an oversize load for delivery but someone in the Oversize Loads Department got their maths wrong when checking that the blades would clear all obstructions on the route, and that they were loaded within the height guage limits.

I think this covers it Wallbang :oops: Nope

Mark

Re: Oversize loads - Lester Perry - 06-13-2011

Bob I model HO, I am asking out of curiosity after reading an article in Model Railroad Hobbyist about making an oversize load. I have moved a wide load on my railroad. A couple years ago, I wanted to move a crane to a remote place on my layout. and Rail was only means of getting it there. I could have used an 0-5-0 type airlift but in was more fun moving it by rail. If I ever do it again I will have to take some photos.

Re: Oversize loads - Bob C - 06-13-2011

Lester, I'm sure that would be a popular posting ! I can imagine the preparations...LPBs measuring everywhere with 3.5 cm poles, making sure nothing "touches", before committing to the move. The old PRR/PC/Conrail track centers were "not less than 13 feet" on tangent main tracks - quite close for 0-5-0 clearance in most scales - and somewhat more on curves. With reduction to two track mainlines (from 3-4 main tracks), or single tracking old double main, side clearance restrictions are much less a problem...mostly through old interlockings, cuttings and tunnels where more room is problematic. Railroads adding multiple track lines now probably adjust centers for speed, curvature & super-elevation (due to long and high cars), etc. A "High & Wide" or "Clearance Train" with a single, or multiple extra-dimension cars could be an occasional fun challenge for model ops. Looking forward to the next "oversize load" Bob C. 8-)

Re: Oversize loads - Mr Fixit - 06-13-2011

0-5-0 Airlift now thats funny Icon_lol

Not 'the hand of God'??? Oh wait that was Maradona wasnt it?

Mark

Re: Oversize loads - Sumpter250 - 06-14-2011

0-5-0:

0-5-0-- Switcher: aka "Hand of God; aka, "knuckle Coupler".
0-5-0-- Crane: aka "Hand of God"; aka, "using the force"
0-5-0-- "Intergalactic Transportation" --- as in, from the "Floor Galaxy" to the "Layout Galaxy". :o

0-5-0-- With respect to Oversize Loads -- Crane, placing the 1:1 Coffee Cup, on the 1:87 Flat Car, while otherwise engaged in spiking track. 357 357 ( the 0-5-0 switcher is also used here to keep the coffee supply close to the worker ) Icon_lol

Re: Oversize loads - MountainMan - 06-14-2011

Be sure that your 0-5-0 is used in constant conjunction with your Mark I Optical Scanning System... Icon_lol