The Layout.. - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: The Layout.. (/showthread.php?tid=426)

Pages: 1 2 3

The Layout.. - Dan85 - 01-02-2009

Figured that I would start a layout thread over here, I have not posted anything since I have not been making much progress! However, some funds and time were recently allocated (read: winter break and Christmas) so I have a bit of progress!

Went to the LHS and was looking for decals, found some microscale graffiti decals and figured that I would try a few out. Not 100% sure on the tags, they look a bit ridiculous and I can see the edges of the decal - can't figure out how to fix that. One trick I did figure out was that if you tear one off after it has set it leaves the appearance that it has been partially cleaned off.

[Image: Picture201492crop.jpg]

[Image: Picture201491crop.jpg]

Worked on my new junction, added filler and weathering. These tracks will most likely not be in use.

[Image: Picture201537crop.jpg]

[Image: Picture201549crop.jpg]

Assembled and painted a new building, it is still awaiting a few architectural details. I like to try and come up with some different paint schemes, so I often have a few repaints. For some reason I tend to end up working mostly with dark browns, so I wanted to try something a little different with this building. Colors are Railroad Tie Brown, Mineral Red, and windows are Pullman Green.

[Image: Picture201575crop.jpg]

I also began assembling a new split level building in my industrial corridor. It is a combination of two city classics kits. Colors are Sand (concrete) and aged concrete (brick). Front side facing the camera is unpainted.

[Image: Picture201550crop.jpg]

[Image: Picture201552crop.jpg]

Finally, I finished my second plow. Yeah..don't ask me why I took the picture with a post in the middle..

[Image: Picture201533crop.jpg]

- Dan

Re: The Layout.. - Puddlejumper - 01-02-2009

I absolutely love your layout! It definitely reminds me of a Conrail industrial district, perhaps former PRR or CNJ? I will be watching this thread carefully, I await more pix.

As for the decals edges showing, I know it sounds counter productive but you need to spray some gloss on the car before you decal it. I use testors glosscote. then decal the car, use micro-set or micro-sol to set the decal. After the decals are set, then you can spray them with a dull coat. It seems weird to spray gloss on an already weathered car, but that is the only way to eliminate being able to see the decal film, and you are going to dullcote them anyway.

Dave

Re: The Layout.. - tomustang - 01-02-2009

I like the look of the new junction, especially the switcher Thumbsup did a great job weathering it.

I heard about a decal film eater but don't remember what it's called, but it's suppose to eat away the film but not the ink and under it 35

Re: The Layout.. - Trucklover - 01-02-2009

Dan glad to see you posting your beautiful layout here!! I love the new building your building, and i think thats a good spot for it. I also think thats a neat idea for a split-level buidling, with the track docks above Thumbsup Thumbsup

Love tje plows too Thumbsup Misngth

Re: The Layout.. - cnw1961 - 01-03-2009

Hi Dan, I’ve been eagerly waiting for you to start your layout thread over here. I love the scene in your third pic, very convincing Thumbsup .

Re: The Layout.. - LynnB - 01-03-2009

Very nice work, I like the way the rails are in the roadways , that must have been a bit of a chore.

Re: The Layout.. - Dan85 - 01-03-2009

Thanks Guys!

PuddleJumper - I will have to give that method a shot, thanks for the advice! I've been using solvaset on microscale decals and it's really helped them blend in well, so I was a little surprised that it didn't work as well on these decals.

Tom - that would be an awesome product, I bet if anyone made it, it would be microscale, I shall have to look. Notice the new switcher appears in almost every picture? lol

wgrider - It's a bit of work, lots of cutting, fitting, filling, sanding, more filling, painting and weathering! It's very tedious, so I try and space road work out so I don't do it for a while, lol.

- Dan

Re: The Layout.. - tomustang - 01-03-2009

Hell yeah, that switcher really matches that layout perfect

Re: The Layout.. - nomad - 01-03-2009

Really like your layout. Especially the split level. Could you post a track plan?

Loren

Re: The Layout.. - railroader9731 - 01-03-2009

Welcome back Dan still love the layout and as for the post in the middle to me it makes it look more proto. Thumbsup Thumbsup Cant wait for more pics.

Re: The Layout.. - KevinKrey - 01-04-2009

Looks good Dan! My favorite pic still has to be the one with the plows! You post them over on PS yet?

Re: The Layout.. - Dan85 - 01-04-2009

Thanks Guys - Hopefully I will have some more pictures later in the week - new work supplies are in transit!

Nomad - I don't have an electronic track plan yet, I downloaded Atlas' free software, but haven't sat down and drew it up yet. I'll definitely post one up when I get a chance.

- Dan

Re: The Layout.. - Dan85 - 01-08-2009

Well, the packages finally arrived today, both small packages, but a nice treat regardless! So I hunkered down with a season of The Office and a fresh pack of decals and an undecorated E&C Shoppes wood chip car. Now I can't find any prototypical photos of Conrail ever owning such cars, so these are proto-what-ifs. (I can't recall the more commonly used phrase) And I would certainly be hesitant to include 'proto' in these since I sincerely doubt my marking decals are correct. Anyways, I had two originals I did earlier in the year, but I ran out of decals.

[Image: Picture200558crop.jpg]

So after finally ordering some, I began work on the third of seven cars.

[Image: Picture201579crop.jpg]

I had seen another modeler use reflective tape on a few of their cars, so I figured I'd give it a try because it seemed to work.

I also made a patch for the car too - I purchased an entire sheet of "NYC Grey Trim" from microscale and cut a small piece to appear as though the car has a section of metal replaced.

[Image: Picture201581crop.jpg]

Also I now use some sort of decal softener for every decal application. I had been using Walthers Solvaset, but I felt the decals were wrinkling a little too much. So I tried Micro Set on these decals. It seemed to work really well - it didn't soften the decal to the degree Solvaset does, so it seems much more appropriate to use on flat surface decals. For the Conrail Quality logo it failed to really soften the decal enough to make it fit into the recesses of the car, so afterwards I was going to trim the left 2/3 off of the decal. As I was cutting the bad area and I tried applying solvaset to it in hopes to salvage the decal. Much to my suprise, it worked really well!

[Image: Picture201580crop.jpg]

[Image: Picture201585crop.jpg]

Well, that's that for tonight! Time to head out and plow!

- Dan

Re: The Layout.. - Trucklover - 01-08-2009

Dan the hoppers look really good!! And i love the weathering on them, great job!! Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: The Layout.. - Dan85 - 02-01-2009

Between class and work, not much time for hobbying. Anyways here's what I've managed to work on over the past couple of weeks.

Purchased some light poles from Details West. Unfortunately, one of the poles was cracked and apparently CA glue won't adhere pewter(?) so I replaced the poles with plastruct tubes.

[Image: Picture201593crop.jpg]

Finished another Chip Car

[Image: Picture201594crop.jpg]

On a trip to the hobby shop I saw he had a few Ford C cabs. God almighty, are these trucks ugly. But I have a special place in my heart for them for some reason or another. Anyways, I figured it would make a perfect DPW truck. So I scratch built a V-Box spreader, a wet tank, and a under body blade and made it into a mean salting machine!

[Image: Picture201626crop.jpg]

[Image: Picture201617crop.jpg]

- Dan