Nantahala Midland V 3.0 - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Mainline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: N/Z and Smaller Modeling (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 (/showthread.php?tid=4413)

Re: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 - teejay - 02-10-2013

Good idea to sit on it for a while and see how you feel a few days down the road ......I'm doing the same thing right now with an " over the top " scene on my current layout . I won't post any pics until i decide 357

One thing I did about 10 years ago , trying to achieve depth on a backdrop , was to fog-in white/grey paint between the foreground trees and the background . I didn't have any real trees in the foreground like you do , I was trying to paint the entire backdrop and still give it depth . I made a template out of cardboard , in the shape of the tree tops , held it a couple of inches out from the backdrop , and fogged in the light grey . I don't have any pics of this but it did give me the separation and depth I was looking for and it looked like mist hanging over the trees in the valley ....just an idea .

T

Re: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 - Ralph - 02-10-2013

If the second photo is how it looks to the layout viewer then I think it looks pretty darn good!

Re: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 - Tyson Rayles - 02-10-2013

Thanks Ralph ! T that's probably above my skill level. 35

Re: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 - teejay - 02-10-2013

Yeah , sure , Mike . Goldth Goldth

Re: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 - Waldbahner - 02-11-2013

Wow Mike, that's some kind of speed build that you show us here.
I like the trees in the background and the perfect matching backdrop.

Cheers, Gerd

PS.: I just bought some plywood for the next two modules but it's still to cold in the workshop to get started...

Re: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 - Tyson Rayles - 02-11-2013

Thanks Gerd, as far as the speed goes keep in mind the whole addition is only 3 square feet. Icon_lol

Re: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 - ezdays - 02-11-2013

I am getting ready to start making trees for my GOYD project. Although I've made a few trees, I've never tackled a forest, so I choose you as my mentor in this endeavor. Big Grin You have always provided great examples of modeling to follow over the years and I thank you for the inspiration. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Thanks Don, much appreciated !

I finally have the hill on the left that hides the hole in the wall, far enough along to post some pics:

Re: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 - Ralph - 02-11-2013

Nice! It really looks like that train has come out of a long tunnel through those mountains. I'm seeing the need for an N scale hawk, eagle, or owl perched on one of those dead tree branches! Smile

Thanks Ralph and I am keeping an eye out for some Bald Eagles. So far the ones I have found were too poor of quality.

Re: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 - Sumpter250 - 02-11-2013

Took me a bit to remember where this bird always flew....
Found it ! This Hawk has been in this area for a number of years now, then again, this might be the third, or fourth generation later.....

Yeah, right in the center of the picture. This was supposed to be a Sea Gull, but got painted as a Hawk. It is suspended on a fine wire inserted into the end of one of the tree's branches. That casting would have a 6' wingspan in N scale. No, I do not remember the manufacturer of the "gulls".
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
One of the Sea Gulls, on a sunk harbor tug.

Got an extra one of the one that is flying laying around there anywhere Pete?

Re: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 - Waldbahner - 02-12-2013

He Mike,

3 square feet you said? That's the size of 3 of the new modules I've to build. So keeping your speed as standard, I should get them done within the next couple of weeks Icon_lol

But the weather is freaking me out - it's getting colder than before Eek

Bye, Gerd

Re: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 - Tyson Rayles - 02-12-2013

Gerd what weather are you refering to?