Nantahala Midland V 3.0 - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Mainline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: N/Z and Smaller Modeling (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=20)
+--- Thread: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 (/showthread.php?tid=4413)

Re: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 - Sumpter250 - 01-27-2014

Oh! THAT looks so much better than what's outside my front door right now !! And, I wouldn't know what's there if I didn't have a window in that door.......yeah the snow is deep around here right now.
Mike, you have always done a spectacular job modeling scenery in N scale. It's hard enough for me, in HO.
The "water", flowing under that bridge !! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Keep it up !! Cheers , I need the "challenge" 357 357

Re: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 - Tyson Rayles - 01-27-2014

Pete if it will make you feel better we just had a major ice storm right on the heels of a half a foot of snow with lows for the next three days in the single digits and the highs in the teens to maybe mid 20's. So much for the warm and sunny South! Icon_lol Thanks for the kind words on the scenery, it's the part of model railroading I like the best!

Re: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 - scubadude - 01-27-2014

The water is bad-to-the-bone! Did you pour the water effects? Would you mind telling us what method you used?

Re: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 - modelsof1900 - 01-28-2014

Great landshaping and water looks very realistic. Nice to see such fine model scenes. And that all in N-scale!

Re: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 - ezdays - 01-28-2014

Looking good, no, make that, looking great!!!.... The master of scenery has done it once again..... Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 - Tyson Rayles - 01-28-2014

Thanks guys! No big secret on the water. I painted the bottom (which was just plywood with some spackle spread on it to hide the grain) with black chalk in the center and dark gray toward the edges, blended together with a make-up brush. Then I made a dam at the front edge of the layout with a piece of wax paper held in place with duct tape. Then I poured in gloss medium till it was about 3/16 th's of an inch thick (any thicker and it could dry cloudy, if in doubt make two shallower pours allowing 24 hours to cure between pours). It will form the ripples on it's own, you won't have to do a thing. As usual when doing something new practice on some scrap pieces first. Hope that helps.

P.S. After 24 hours you can remove the wax paper and duct tape dam. Misngth

Re: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 - Sumpter250 - 01-28-2014

I haven't ever tried that method :o , I'll have to do a little "experimenting" with that. Wink Big Grin Big Grin

Pete please let us know how it turns out.

Re: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 - Ralph - 01-28-2014

You poured acrylic gloss medium? I've done the brush-on-several-layers thing but never thought to pout it! Looks fantastic!

Yes I poured it Ralph, the trick is to keep it a thin pour 1/16th to 3/16th's of an inch at the most or it will dry cloudy. If you need it deeper you can make multiple pours, just give it at least 24 hours to cure between pours.

Re: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 - Ralph - 01-29-2014

That's great! It sure came out well!

Re: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 - danielb - 01-29-2014

Fantastic work mate, that bridge and the exit to the fiddle yard look fantastic.

Bloody brilliant work.

Re: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 - Tyson Rayles - 01-29-2014

Thanks Daniel!

Re: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 - Kev1340 - 02-03-2014

Excellent job with the water Mike Thumbsup I may have to try that method when I come to my dock area.

Cheers,

Kev

Re: Nantahala Midland V 3.0 - Tyson Rayles - 02-03-2014

Thanks Kev, can't wait to see your dock area!