SP&S Free-Mo 2012 Deschutes Canyon - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Layouts (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=46)
+--- Thread: SP&S Free-Mo 2012 Deschutes Canyon (/showthread.php?tid=4705)

Pages: 1 2

Re: SP&S Free-Mo 2012 Deschutes Canyon - sailormatlac - 02-05-2012

Greg, if it's part of the railroad story, that's for the best! Anyway, this little guy isn't your casual HO fisherman, he's a pro I tell you! ;-)

VIA Rail train to La Tuque and Lake St. John still does this with hunters and fishermen. The track is lost in wilderness which is filled with hunt camps for poor and rich. The tradition goes back to the mid-1880's. I've seen an old 19th century advertising to bring New England tourists in the area.

Matt

Re: SP&S Free-Mo 2012 Deschutes Canyon - mountaingoatgreg - 02-10-2012

Matt: Here is the rest of the story, this is one of two coaches that operated on the line from the mid 1950's until Amtrak in the 1970's. I finally got the wiring going so the fancy lights on the car come on Thumbsup

[Image: DSC04013.JPG]

Re: SP&S Free-Mo 2012 Deschutes Canyon - Tyson Rayles - 02-11-2012

"Random question, how long is a fly fishing rod? I think the one my guy is holding may be a bit long..."

Depends, My saltwater rod was about 9' but up here in the mountains of WNC the cricks can be very overgrown so casting space can be very restricted so I use 6.5 footer (4 foot ultralight spinning rod). Out west where undergrowth is not so much of a factor 7-8 foot should be common.
So you see size does matter ! Icon_lol

Re: SP&S Free-Mo 2012 Deschutes Canyon - Southern Tuxedo - 02-11-2012

Tyson Rayles Wrote:"Random question, how long is a fly fishing rod? I think the one my guy is holding may be a bit long..."

Depends, My saltwater rod was about 9' but up here in the mountains of WNC the cricks can be very overgrown so casting space can be very restricted so I use 6.5 footer (4 foot ultralight spinning rod). Out west where undergrowth is not so much of a factor 7-8 foot should be common.
So you see size does matter ! Icon_lol

Standard or Spey? (Fly rod of course.)

My smallmouth bass fly rod of choice is 9', but I currently have rods from 7'-9' long. The Spey guys use rods that are much longer maybe 12+ feet.

Mark

Re: SP&S Free-Mo 2012 Deschutes Canyon - Tyson Rayles - 02-11-2012

So there you go Greg, if it's over 6 foot and but not over 12 foot you are good to go! Icon_lol

Re: SP&S Free-Mo 2012 Deschutes Canyon - Sumpter250 - 02-11-2012

mountaingoatgreg Wrote:Random question, how long is a fly fishing rod? I think the one my guy is holding may be a bit long...

Bass Pro Shops sells Fly Rods 8' - 10' long. I only vaguely remember seeing a fly rod, and seem to remember it as about the same length as a surf casting rod, so 8' - 10' seems about right. Yeah, as a kid, I did a lot of surf fishing, on Long Island's South shore.

Re: SP&S Free-Mo 2012 Deschutes Canyon - Russ Bellinis - 02-11-2012

Greg, unless you are going to add a bunch more vegetation to the scene, a long fly rod is fine.

Re: SP&S Free-Mo 2012 Deschutes Canyon - mountaingoatgreg - 02-12-2012

Thanks guys!!

It seems most of the fishing done on the river is fly fishing, so I will check it and cut it down to 10'...

Re: SP&S Free-Mo 2012 Deschutes Canyon - mountaingoatgreg - 04-11-2012

Blowing the dust off this thread....

Some scenery updates:

[Image: GN+654+n+jct.jpg]
This image has been photoshopped....

[Image: 009.jpg]

[Image: 007.jpg]

[Image: 005.jpg]

Re: SP&S Free-Mo 2012 Deschutes Canyon - teejay - 04-11-2012

That's a nice looking scene ...lots of detail . I wouldn't want to be the guy installing that fence/posts in real life Big Grin

Terry

Re: SP&S Free-Mo 2012 Deschutes Canyon - faraway - 04-11-2012

That looks very good! The fence on the hill make a big difference. That small detail attracts the eye and makes the hill appear much larger.