Dry Transfer Lettering... Removal - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Mainline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: HO Modeling (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Dry Transfer Lettering... Removal (/showthread.php?tid=4709)

Dry Transfer Lettering... Removal - iis612 - 01-03-2012

I highly doubt this is the right part of the forum for this post, but the closest match for the issue is Weathering, but I was looking for an area that gets more traffic, so that way I can get more opinions.

Now, on to the matter at hand. My Father in law is an avid locomotive collector/builder. He does not want a layout, just the locomotives. He has started to hand some off to me, so that he might see them on a layout rather than a test track. He gave me an old Bowser Pacific that is lettered for a freelanced road using dry transfer lettering. I need to re-letter it. What is the best way to remove dry transfer lettering, without damaging the finish?
I will gladly post pre and post pics once a get a bug worked out with my photo viewing software.

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Re: Dry Transfer Lettering... Removal - nachoman - 01-03-2012

Do you think the lettering is sealed with dullcote or similar? If not, dry transfers can be scratched off carefully with an exacto blade or maybe a toothpick.

Re: Dry Transfer Lettering... Removal - Tyson Rayles - 01-03-2012

I've had luck with an easer if the letters haven't been sealed as previously mentioned.

Re: Dry Transfer Lettering... Removal - doctorwayne - 01-04-2012

You may be able to remove them with an application of masking tape, assuming they've not been clear-coated. Simply apply the tape, then peel it off.

Unsealed dry transfers respond to strong decal setting solutions such as Solvaset and I occasionally use it to settle hard-to-burnish dry transfers. It should soften unsealed ones, allowing them to be wiped off with a clean cloth or paper towel.

If they have been clear-coated, you may still be able to remove them using a #17 X-Acto chisel-type blade. Hold the blade perpendicular to the surface, and leading with the non-tapered face of the blade, gently scrape the surface in one direction only, repeating as necessary. There is a chance that you'll also scrape the paint, but you should be able to touch-up any minor blemishes.

Wayne

Re: Dry Transfer Lettering... Removal - iis612 - 01-04-2012

Thanks for all the feedback. I am going to try to use some isopropyl alcohol on a small area and see if it clouds up. That "should" tell me if it has been clear coated.

Assuming that it has been... Any thoughts?

Matt

Re: Dry Transfer Lettering... Removal - Tyson Rayles - 01-04-2012

If it has been clear coated I have had luck with (after removing the body from the mech) lightly applying some brake fluid with a Q-tip to that area and let sit for 5 minutes then gently rub under running warm water with a clean Q-tip. Before doing so I would suggest testing an area inside or on the bottom of the body shell to see if it's going to remove the paint as well.

Re: Dry Transfer Lettering... Removal - ezdays - 01-04-2012

iis612 Wrote:Thanks for all the feedback. I am going to try to use some isopropyl alcohol on a small area and see if it clouds up. That "should" tell me if it has been clear coated.

Assuming that it has been... Any thoughts?

Matt
I would be careful of using alcohol, depending on what kind of paint was used. It's OK for a solvent-based paint, but it will remove acrylic paint. Like Tyson says, test first in some inconspicuous area.

Re: Dry Transfer Lettering... Removal - Sumpter250 - 01-04-2012

Joe's Model Trains - Paint and Decal Remover.....
I use it to remove factory lettering ( mainly for re-numbering ) without damaging the base color.
If all else fails, try it.

Re: Dry Transfer Lettering... Removal - iis612 - 01-04-2012

I ordered some paint and decal remover a while back, before the home front went to pot... Glad you mentioned it, it reminds me that it never arrived...

If at all possible, I don't want to take this model apart, as there is a quite a bit of additional detail that I don't want to risk. I should have time later to test and see if it has been clear coated. If it has been, I will go from there.

Thanks,
Matt