Introducing The PistonBroke Line - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Mainline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=17)
+--- Forum: HO Modeling (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=21)
+--- Thread: Introducing The PistonBroke Line (/showthread.php?tid=598)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18

Re: Introducing The PistonBroke Line - Steamtrains - 04-24-2009

HOLY COW...!!!! That's a mighty fine lookin' gas station....I remember seeing a few of those waaayyy back in my time....
This has to be among the best currently running threads in the forum....Keep it up..!! Thumbsup

Re: Introducing The PistonBroke Line - eightyeightfan1 - 04-24-2009

I wish I had the skill and patience for craftsman kits.
Looks good.

Re: Introducing The PistonBroke Line - Charlie B - 04-24-2009

Jack, I was going to post last week but I was speechless. The only thing missing is the chooks Icon_lol
Fabulous work.
Charlie

Re: Introducing The PistonBroke Line - doctorwayne - 04-24-2009

It's difficult to believe that I've missed over six pages of this thread before "discovering" it. 35 35
Great work, Jack, on both the layout itself and on those craftsman-type kits. Thumbsup Thumbsup I'm also really enjoying your style of writing and your "Well, I've never done this before, but might as well give it a try" attitude. Too many of us accomplish too little because we're afraid to try something new. If I wore a hat, it'd be off to you. Wink

And, yeah, that's usually the reason that I left the bar, too. Goldth Well, that and the fact that while the girls all got prettier at closin' time, I didn't seem to get any better lookin' to them. Misngth Misngth

Wayne

Re: Introducing The PistonBroke Line - OBJack - 04-27-2009

Thanks for the comments Josh, When it comes to weathering I always look up your posts to see how you have done you builds and vehicles before I progress, and I know I gotta lotta learnin' still to do. 35
Steamtrains Wrote:HOLY COW...!!!! That's a mighty fine lookin' gas station....I remember seeing a few of those waaayyy back in my time....
Hi there Steamtrains, Thanks for looking in Gus?.... it is nice to know it was recognised for what it once was/is, I too remember, but we might be giving away our age by admitting it, Goldth but we still got the memories huh?

eightyeightfan1 Wrote:I wish I had the skill and patience for craftsman kits.
Looks good.
Errr..Ed.. I don't know about that. Patience is not a strong suit of mine either, but my take on it is that it is a lot easier to build something someone else has written the instructions for, than to make up my own as a scratchbuild like you guys do, I would have no hope of doing some of the stuff that appears here. Nope
Charlie B Wrote:Jack, I was going to post last week but I was speechless. The only thing missing is the chooks Icon_lol
Fabulous work.
Charlie
Sorry Charlie, my bad. here you go..... 357
[Image: img_0223.jpg]

Thanks for the house visit Doc, my "have a go mentality" is born out of necessity, no club within a 500km round trip, no fellow modelers close either, and if you mention you play with trains to grown -ups around here....well they tend to slowly move away... all the while keeping a wary eye on you as they herd their kids off in another direction. :?
I also rather like "tinkering about" with a problem, I seem to retain the solution in my mind a bit better that way.
and I think your observations of the pretty ladies at the bar somehow ring very true. :oops:

OK Back to Da Trains
Man there is a lot of finger fumbling fandangled things to do with these windows. Curse

Now I realise how useless I am with these 10 digits I was given, Wallbang they were obviously not made to construct HO gauge windows and door architraves.
Just wondering, all you other N and smaller scale modelers.... give me a look at your fingers ... I bet they are like Z scale size.....they gotta be smaller than mine otherwise you couldn't do it! Nope

Anywho here is the latest effort in Kellys' boarding House
[Image: 100_2234.jpg]
I was trying to make the posters look old and weather beaten, but I think I became more distressed
than the posters, So I went off to have a Bex and a good lie Down
No Such Luck
Late news:
Whoops! :oops: The large black "Boarding House" sign has distressed to the point of a break down .....
... so a quick repaint......

and this is the result
[Image: 100_2244.jpg]

But by now the meds had worked wonders. Confusedhock:
.....but then So did a few hours today with kelly in her boarding house....

She is a two story building so.....

The story so far.....

I stained the floors and put some interior walls up
[Image: 100_2248.jpg]

And I assumed this is how they sit atop one another
[Image: 100_2252.jpg]

Then I threw a few walls against one another and added a bit of glue
[Image: 100_2260.jpg]

That photo also shows that the roof trusses have been added
[Image: 100_2259.jpg]

And a couple of other sides
[Image: 100_2255.jpg]
Wowzzerrrs.... curtains no less ( they are my own deviation from the plans, getting a bit adventurous now..)
And
[Image: 100_2261.jpg]

Now I have to go and build some stairs..... better load up on those meds.. Eek

Jack 219

Re: Introducing The PistonBroke Line - Charlie B - 04-27-2009

Quote:Now I realise how useless I am with these 10 digits I was given, they were obviously not made to construct HO gauge windows and door architraves.
Just wondering, all you other N and smaller scale modelers.... give me a look at your fingers ... I bet they are like Z scale size.....they gotta be smaller than mine otherwise you couldn't do it!
Jack, after fumbling around with oversize fingers, then with flying parts from tweezers, I have filed the outside of one side of a pair of needle nose pliers and that is what I use to assemble anything. I filed the one side so they would fit between the top lip of gondolas so I could get the top grabs in place.
Charlie

Re: Introducing The PistonBroke Line - iis612 - 04-27-2009

Jack,

It has been a bit since I have looked in on your thread. That was a BIG mistake on my part. Some incredible progress!! Thumbsup

Matt

Re: Introducing The PistonBroke Line - Drew - 04-28-2009

Great modeling Jack!
The structures are awesome! Thumbsup

Re: Introducing The PistonBroke Line - Steamtrains - 04-28-2009

While the age may be showing....it's the memories that matter....

Imagine the memories of our sons 40-50 years from now....A ghastly glass box cum gas station....One in every corner....ggaaaaccckkkk....!!! Sad

BTW...love that scene with the chickens & roosters....And the curtains blown out the window.... Thumbsup

Re: Introducing The PistonBroke Line - OBJack - 05-03-2009

Have been tied up lately with trying to set up our new computer, and seeing as I am a nearly 'puter illiterate, and the new baby is an apple, of which I have an even less idea about... you can imagine this household lately, Curse
But I digress,
Charlie B Wrote:Jack, after fumbling around with oversize fingers, then with flying parts from tweezers, I have filed the outside of one side of a pair of needle nose pliers and that is what I use to assemble anything. I filed the one side so they would fit between the top lip of gondolas so I could get the top grabs in place.
Charlie
Thanks for the tip Charlie, ...grinding is underway. Its amazing how far tweezers can send a little part, ( maybe a new Olympic event Huh?) and the time spent on hands and knees finding it is inversely proportional to the speed at which it disappeared. Misngth

Thanks for stopping by and and taking time to post Matt, this was my second kit, and with each you learn a bit more I guess,..here are a few more pics for what they are worth..

And Drew, thanks for the comments man. I am a great admirer of your work, 'specially the latest with your grandson, it looks really cool, and it seemed to have happened so fast too. Cheers

Ahhh memories.... what were we discussing Gus?
357 Love my Chooks, love their bumnuts for breaky, ... go to work on an egg. 357

Ok back to Kellys,
So after much gnashing of teeth we produced...

...Some stairs of sorts
[Image: 100_2265.jpg]

Stained them, then fixed one set to the balcony, which had also been stained and fixed to the front of the boarding house.
[Image: 100_2269.jpg]
And
[Image: 100_2270.jpg]
And
[Image: 100_2271.jpg]

Then we attacked the ballustrading
[Image: 100_2276.jpg]

Also stained and attached are some back stairs....sort of
[Image: 100_2275.jpg]

Here's the landing, .....looks better from here
[Image: 100_2279.jpg]

The back stairs have a ballustrade now, and the formwork for the rubbish/trash area has been built
[Image: 100_2281.jpg]

Oh man, the camera is a savage critic on the close ups... :oops: Wallbang ... better tell the news hounds to back off a bit and just take the big picture..... :mrgreen: But I guess the anklebiters won't notice or worry too much about the quality of the workmanship, we can only hope to get better with practice, or take long shot photos.

So here's one to go home with . Misngth see the roof is on the trash area
[Image: 100_2288.jpg]

Hope all the pics have'nt glued your computers to a standstill, and if not ....will put a few more up as we muddle along a bit more.

Finished article coming as soon as I get the hang of this new computer, and the time consuming task of transferring all the rubbish from the old one is complete.

Jack 219

Re: Introducing The PistonBroke Line - upnick - 05-03-2009

Hi Jack,

Cool building Thumbsup look forward to seeing it on the layout Big Grin good luck with the new PC Icon_lol

Re: Introducing The PistonBroke Line - Will_Annand - 05-03-2009

Looking good Jack. Very nicely done.

The boarding house looks great.
Only one comment on the Garage and it is nothing to do with the above average skills of assembly.
I was just wondering why they take a nice looking well made laser cut structure and cheapen it by giving you plastic windows and doors... no matter how hard you try to get plastic to look like wood, it just never does.

I was looking at a couple of JL kits in N. But now I think I will stick with the better Osborn Models and RSLaser Kits. Excellent all wood laser kits.

Re: Introducing The PistonBroke Line - eightyeightfan1 - 05-03-2009

WOW! The house is coming along great!

Also been reading about everyones tweezer problem.
I picked these up a couple of years ago at a show. They are spring loaded and can even hold lifting eyes pretty good.

Of course, when I was WAAAAYYY younger, back in the 1970's, we used to use these for holding something else.
Talk about memories........

Re: Introducing The PistonBroke Line - OBJack - 05-15-2009

Back again after a forced sabbatical, computer enforced as well as work enforced. Thanks Nick the Computer is now in the learning mode, and work is in the ..."waiting for rain before I can continue " ..mode.
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:WOW! The house is coming along great!

Also been reading about everyones tweezer problem.
I picked these up a couple of years ago at a show. They are spring loaded and can even hold lifting eyes pretty good.

Of course, when I was WAAAAYYY younger, back in the 1970's, we used to use these for holding something else.
Talk about memories........
Whoa Ed, now why didn't I think of using those. 35
I do have a pair.
Maybe because I used them waaaaay back , is the very same reason I now forget I could use them ... for nearly the same purpose

To finish Kellys boarding House

and a few photos of the finished article
Front Door
[Image: 100_2316.jpg]

Left side
[Image: 100_2301.jpg]
and
[Image: 100_2314.jpg]
Back
[Image: 100_2302.jpg]

Right side
[Image: 100_2299.jpg]
and
[Image: 100_2304.jpg]
and
[Image: 100_2312.jpg]

As I have said previously, I will have to get that confetti tree pulled before this old boarding house is parked on the layout. I don't who the old Salt was who planted it, but it will be cut down before the environmentalists or heritage boffins finding out. Goldth

Jack 219

Re: Introducing The PistonBroke Line - doctorwayne - 05-15-2009

Not sure what you've done wrong, Jack, but the images aren't showing. To post from photobucket, simply click on the "img...." line beneath the picture - this will automatically "COPY" the data. "PASTE" it here into your post - it will appear as data in the composition window, but will show-up as a picture once you hit "SUBMIT".

Wayne