The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6141)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - yellowlynn - 12-20-2013

Alright, smarty. I evidently can't spell my own name and rthe spell checker must have missed it.

I do HO only, but I think if I get this N car it will do as an eye catcher in a park, or some wealthy back yard. I guess I'll get it as no one else seems interested. Or else they're playing ebay and going to jump at he last second.

LYNN with no b Icon_lol

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 12-20-2013

yellowlynn Wrote:Alright, smarty. I evidently can't spell my own name and rthe spell checker must have missed it.

I do HO only, but I think if I get this N car it will do as an eye catcher in a park, or some wealthy back yard. I guess I'll get it as no one else seems interested. Or else they're playing ebay and going to jump at he last second.

LYNN with no b Icon_lol

Some people just don't understand we are born with fumble fingers, it's just that it takes a long time before we become proficient in using them. 357 357

We are expecting a rash of last minute bidders. I think some have the automatic bidding softwar that they use on eBay. That $46,000,000 is very attractive and the final bid may even be higher than that..... Icon_lol Smile

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 12-20-2013

The words for the day here at work are warm rain and goose p@@p we have at least 100 or so hanging around the retention pond at work every year more and more Canadian geese are staying year round in Ohio they used to just pass through on the way south. They are very messy and loud.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sent in an Order for the 2014 On30 annual cool trains and fun reading.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Worked up a sweat at work today machines ran great today what few problems there were was ID10T errors. Running the machines and keeping them fed can be a great work out if you have to load more than one hopper when they are close together not too bad but I had to feed 3 hoppers and they were not right next to each other so I was hopping to just keep up with the speed of the feed. The machine I was working has a total of 44 hoppers that is a potential 44 different ads to be inserted into the newspaper the other machines have 12 hoppers. The machine is like a giant collator lots of mechanical adjustments per each ad single sheet slicks are among the worst to load as they are slippery and also tend to stick together thus needing to be jogged to get some air between them.

I have a feeling that I may be laid off at the end of the busy season some time in January. I may try to apply for an IT job
at work if that happens. The worse they can do is say no, I think that if they do lay me off I will be on the call back list.

RB, game sounds interesting so far.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 12-20-2013

We went to Wal-Mart today. My father had to get some things for the house and I needed to get a bottle of Tums antacid tablets. I have GERD and they help relieve it. Couldn't find a ride-on cart this trip so I had to walk. Fortunately the section with the antacids isn't far from the checkout and doors. My leg is a bit sore after that workout.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 12-20-2013

KRM Wrote:Hi Blue,

SLOP is the word on the North Bluff today.

So you have gone to the HOGS!!!!! 357 I really know what you mean. That is usually what happens here after a snow. Then it might freeze and become ICE. :cry: Melts the next day again but then usually gone. Good luck with that.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 12-20-2013

Somewhat of a busy day today. I wrapped a few gifts that hadn't been done. Later the 'FloppySD' that my niece and I had ordered as a gift for me came in today. I took it out of the box long enough to test it and see that it worked properly then I put it back in the box, wrapped it up and put a gift tag on it to myself from my niece, my sister and their respective husbands. They all chipped in for it so they should be recognized. The last gift I wrapped is from my father to his grandson (my nephew). It's a 12-pack of Bud-Lite and two strap-on holsters. Each one holds a 10-ounce beer can. One holster is for him and the other is for a guy he works with. They do almost everything together. I have got to see the look on his face when he opens it. Same for my sister. I got her a collectors set of Star Trek drinking glasses. Kirk, Spock, Uhura and Nero. The two husbands are getting DVD's they said they wanted. I got my nephew a 1/25 Scale Nascar model, a Bobby Labonte 'Interstate Batteries' Monte Carlo. My niece will about flip when she sees the manicure/pedicure station I got her. It has everything the usual kits do and a lot more they don't. It set me back a bit.

No progress on Oliver's adventure except that I saved a copy of it on the 'FloppySD' as a test.

The dryer broke down today. My step mother and I both were hoping it had gone toes up after thirty-four years (bought new in January 1979)and it would be time for a new one. No dice. The belt had come off. My father put it back on in about thirty minutes. But there's still hope! He looked all over town today and can't find the proper belt for that dinosaur. The model and serial numbers don't even come up on the computers at the places he went to. Also the drying time is taking longer and longer. the timed cycles are meaningless as it often needs to be run a couple of times to dry a medium load and this is a heavy-duty dryer. My father thinks it's the thermostat but I'm betting on the heating coils. A faulty thermostat would usually result in the drying temp being too high. It's happened before with this dryer. It actually set fire to a load of clothes once.

Looks like a good chance of rain tonight and tomorrow.

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: DSCN2319.jpg]

[Image: P2060443.jpg]

[Image: DSCN5685.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Kev1340 - 12-21-2013

Good morning Blue Big Grin

It's 53 degrees F, with high winds and heavy rain here In the UK! No fun being outside at all! Looks set to continue like this for the next few days.

Some progress on the N&W layout, last of the track laid in the loco service area, and all wiring finished! Started installing Hayes wheel stops (from Tomar industries) but ran out! My normal supplier over here says it could take him 6 months to get more Confusedhock: Blow that, so I shall be getting them from my alternative supplier - that will still take at least a month by the time they get them in from Walthers. I had hoped to get them all installed before painting the track, but guess that won't happen.

The family is all looking forward to Christmas now, and I don't suppose I'll get much modelling done over the holiday.

Have a good one guys,

Cheers,

Kev

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 12-21-2013

Good morning all. It seems like it's a bit warmer in the UK than here in "sunny" Arizona. It's after 7AM and we're still in the mid-40's. I went outside earlier to be confronted with a blanket of fog. Very unusual for here, but it does happen. It's chilly enough and it did rain overnight. I'm glad I'm not out on the streets right now, most drivers around here have no idea how to drive in this kind of weather. An exception is for those winter visitors that are use to it.

It's the first day of Winter, the Winter solstice, and the shortest day of the year.... Actually we say that but what we really mean is that it's the shortest amount of daylight since every day is 1440 minutes long, regardless. Icon_lol Sunrise here today is around 7:30, sunset is around 5:30.

For those of you that are affected by those Winter storms, I wish you the best, whether you are traveling somewhere, shopping for Christmas or staying home and shoveling snow.... Big Grin

Have a great weekend. Thumbsup

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 12-21-2013

Good morning all.

Warm and wet outside, raining as I type. Looks more like April then December but snow and cold expected by Monday .

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 12-21-2013

Good Morning Blue
We have 33 degrees and gloomy.
Ice storms are forecast with power outages expected.
We just went through that a few weeks ago caused by a thunder storm, if it happens again tonight we are not staying here in the cold.
Thoughts of a house generator are running through my head.
Daughter and 2 grandsons are here making cookies with grandma.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 12-21-2013

Good afternoon. It's 76° with lots of rain. Humidity 82% if you can believe that. The high will be 77°.

The cable (therefore internet) has been out all day thus far and is still out. I'm typing this up in Notepad so I can copy and paste it later. I don't have any plans for working on Oliver's adventure today. The power is just too iffy. It's been out for short periods several times already today. Right now I'm entertaining myself watching some old World War II movies. At the moment I'm listening to a historian give her take on 'The Longest Day'. It's pretty interesting.

Well it's happened. The dryer went toes up this morning. It still turns and heats but the amount of heat is very very low and it has to be on the highest settings to get that. So my father has admitted defeat and called my niece this morning and told her. Since it's her house that makes the washer and dryer hers too. She says they're both going. She has her eyes on a matching front-loader washer-dryer set.

That's all for now.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 12-21-2013

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy, damp, and 28 degrees in southeast Iowa this afternoon. Snow and wind are expected for tonight. Seven inches of snow and winds to 25 are predicted. Then tomorrow the bottom drops out of the thermometer. The low for Monday morning is supposed to -9.

We're here visiting with our son and will be here until Christmas day. Right now I'm alone. Son ran to the store and My Fair Lady is taking a nap. Our plan is to have Christmas Eve on the 23rd and Christmas on the 24th. He has to travel on the 25th to be at work first thing Thursday morning.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 12-21-2013

We just had a line of bad storms whip through here. Lots of wind and rain but only one close lightning strike. We were having dinner at the time. The dog (under the table) tried running for cover and ran into one of the table legs. These are big heavy wood legs so she hit it with quite a wallop. The cat was sitting on the coffee table and jumped about three feet straight up. My father and my step mother bother both jumped but I didn't for some reason. I'm so used to close strikes at my trailer that it really doesn't bother me very much. Now next door my nieces dogs were going bananas. You ever seen a fully grown Great Dane fit under an average sized couch? Hers can. The pit bull just curls up into a tight ball like he's trying to disappear.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 12-21-2013

We were supposed to have my sister and her family today, but we cancelled it because the weather called for ice storms.
We didn't get much, but my sister, 2 hours east, reports complete ice there.
Our weather is, apparently, currently being imported from Texas.

RB: Have you looked at a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply)? You probably only need a small one. They also filter the current.

BR60103 Wrote:RB: Have you looked at a UPS (Uninterruptable Power Supply)? You probably only need a small one. They also filter the current.
I have one of those on my system at home. It's a small one, gives about five minutes of power to get the system shut down. It also serves as an unlimited surge protector. I have surge protectors on every major outlet and a 'whole house' unit on the main breaker. Down here at my fathers place there's just a few small surge protectors and two big unlimited ones. I bought both of those. One is on this computer and the other is in my room connected to my Apple //e. I spent a lot of time converting it to a fully enhanced //e and I'll be damned if I'll let a power surge destroy it. I've tried talking my father into getting a UPS but he feels he doesn't need one as he hardly ever has need of the computer anyway and if anybody should have to pay for it it should be me as this computer is mine anyway. I put it here as a secondary base of operations as it were shortly after hurricane Rita in 2005 and so that my mother could use it in her genealogy research of the Wimberly and Reneau family trees. Now that she's gone (Jan 20th will be a year) I'm the only one who uses it on a regular basis. I can count on one hand the number of times my father has used it in the past five months. A small one can be had for under $90 and a much better one (not biggest) can be had for under $200. But I'm not going to buy it to just have it sit and do nothing, which it would after I move back into my trailer.