The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6141)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 01-23-2014

Looks like tonight will be a cool one. The advisory column is really lit up. Hard freeze warning, winter weather advisory, wind chill advisory.

We have a 70% chance of snow, sleet and light freezing rain. I certainly don't need that.

Layoutwise nothing was done today.

I did get some nap time in. After the stress of the past couple of days I really needed that.

Dinner was simple. Two salami, cheese, onion and pickle sandwiches and a glass of water.

Time to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: DSCN3411.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3388.jpg]

[Image: DSCN5625.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 01-23-2014

Good night all. One good thing about the Yanks sharing their misery, they are colder than we are. Icon_lol
Sleep tight.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ngauger - 01-24-2014

Chief Eagles Wrote:Good night all. One good thing about the Yanks sharing their misery, they are colder than we are. Icon_lol
Sleep tight.
Icon_lol Yup - Darn sure are colder!!! it's 9 degrees and feels like -3 Shoot

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 01-24-2014

As usual lately, COLD and windy. Sun is up though.

Hoping not to do much as far as Mayor stuff. Watch TV, Train Box and some inside chores. Even waiting to go get garbage and recycle carts at the street. BURRR

Friend Fred is having outpatient surgery for hernia today.

Have a good one. OH! Workers, thanks for a week of SS payments. You've done extra good with such bad weather. Thumbs Up

Later

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 01-24-2014

Good morning. It's 21° with 100% humidity. The high will be 35°. Snow likely with light sleet later. Expected accumulation to be around one inch. Expected ice accumulation to be about a quarter of an inch.
[Image: condmc-1.jpg] and [Image: 430b5e8c-683c-43a3-be7d-6398cf507cf4.gif]

Woke up to a chilly bedroom this morning. My temporary patch job is keeping rain out (for now) but there still seems to be path for cold air to get in. I can feel it blowing in from the southwest corner of the room. That's where the split open seam is. I have the heater up as high as it'll go and that has the temp in the front room at 66°. We have snow on the ground. That's weird weather here. I bet the kids are happy. NO SCHOOL! The weather guesser was saying it would be no more than one inch. I've been outside. The snow was up over my shoes. It's DEFINITELY more than one inch! I just measured what's on top of my grill. It's close to two inches. You can see in the photos I took that the snow was still falling. It's an alien landscape out there.

No plans for today except to keep warm.

[Image: DSCN6231.jpg]

[Image: DSCN6239.jpg]

[Image: DSCN6245.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-24-2014

Good morning everyone. I hope you all are ready for a nice weekend. I'm really not sure what the fuss is all about. Cold air usually does come from the north and trickles down to the south. Fortunately Arizona is exempt from all this. Big Grin It's 7:30 and we're pushing 60 already. Highs are in the mid to very high 70's all through the end of next week. I just noticed though that the Weather Channel has rain in today's forecast. :o That's good since we were going to take the vehicles to the car wash today. Looks like we can wait another day or two, maybe nature will do the job for us. Wink

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 01-24-2014

Good morning all.

Last night we were 4 times colder than Alaska which is experiencing 40 degrees and rain while we are freezing and have wind chill advisories Eek

I can still remember the blizzard of 78 lots of snow no school people were getting lost in their own yard due to low visibility, but I do not remember it being so bitterly cold back then .

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 01-24-2014

Good Morning Blue
Cold here too, +2 degrees now and it looks like next week will be even colder.
We went Krogering this morning prices keep going up.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 01-24-2014

Some other victims of the recent 'tree' disaster. I haven't touched these in any way. They're laying right where the impact knocked them.

Three F3B's laid over.
[Image: DSCN6257.jpg]

Four GP40's over on their sides.
[Image: DSCN6259.jpg]

These locos plus my four GP9's and three newest F3's were all on the layout at the time the tree fell on my trailer and it's the only reason they weren't wrecked like many of my other locos.

Well surprise, surprise. My nephew and a couple of his friends showed up a little while ago to remove the tree. The picked up the top half and are supposed to be coming back for the bottom half. I'll believe it when I see it. It does nothing to correct the damage that was done but at least it's something.

I got a funny story for you tonight and I swear it's absolutely true. As I posted earlier, my nephew and some of his friends came and got the top half of the tree. They loaded it on a sixteen foot trailer and took it down to another friends house so they could have a bonfire. All went well for a while then they were told they would have to go elsewhere. Well if they had to leave they were going to take their fire with them. So they packed up their chairs and coolers of beer then they packed up the bonfire on the trailer, still burning, and transported it to my nephews home, still burning, and unloaded it there in the front yard, still burning, and stacked it back up as a bonfire, you guessed it, still burning. There's not a single burn mark anywhere on the trailer or on them. Amazing what a bunch of drunk rednecks can do! Of course they only had to move it a mile and a half. I went over and let him know I wasn't going to kill him. Yet.

In train news, I checked the draw on the Varney F3. It's a bit over half what an Athearn F7 draws, so in theory I should be able to put a decoder in it without worry of a burnout.

I opened up the //e to check it out since it got shaken around pretty good. One of the expansion cards was out of it's slot. I pushed it back in then checked the other cards and the chips. Then the acid test. I turned it on. It worked perfectly.

Well it's about time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: DSCN6251.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3357.jpg]

[Image: 788c665f-0390-49a5-b0d9-49dcb45d305d.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 01-24-2014

KEV, what the heck is that? Some type of vent pipe???? Stay warm old buddy.

Sleep tight.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 01-25-2014

Morning. Cold but warming today. Windy. May ride up to the lake house and then back by early afternoon.

Have a good one.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 01-25-2014

Greetings, gang.

12 degrees and a blizzard watch. Not a good way to start the weekend. Weather people are talking about 1-2" of snow and 40-50 mph winds for tonight and tomorrow. Good weekend to stay indoors. Then temps back down well below zero. Yesterday it was 39.

January has not been good to me. First off, I found a leak in one of the old galvanized water pipes in the basement. Put a temporary patch on it and tried calling plumbers. We called a dozen before we got three to come out and give us an estimate. The the basement drain plugged up. Took them two tries to get it unplugged. Then the drain stack from the second floor sprung a leak. Had to rip out the wall in the dining room and found a crack in the cast iron that is 3 feet long. So now the upstairs bathroom is out of commission. Talked to the plumber and he said he would fix that the same day he does the pipes in the basement.

Finally yesterday the big day arrived and the plumbers showed up to start replacing the pipes. Arrived at 8:30, finished at 6 PM. Completely destroyed the basement. My Fair Lady and I spent a couple hours mopping the floors, re-stacking stuff that was knocked over, etc. They helped themselves to my tool box. I did managed to recover all the borrowed tools before they left (I hope). Also found a broken light fixture cover neatly piled on my workbench. Someone broke it and didn't even tell me about it. Oh, and the drain from the second floor is still not fixed. Supposed to be back tomorrow morning to fix that.

On top of all that, I can't get the upstairs shower to work. Water just dribbles out of the showerhead. I have a feeling either the tub faucet has gone bad or there is crud in the line that got knocked loose when the work was done on the pipes.

I was so disgusted I decided to get a Papa Murphy pizza for supper. Went to the garage and the battery was dead on my car. Just my luck!

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 01-25-2014

Good morning. It's 28° with 93% humidity. The high will be 55° and sunny.
[Image: cond026.gif]

The snow is still with us but at least it hasn't snowed anymore. A lot of it should melt today. If the weather holds like the forecast says I should be able to get a ladder and work on the roof and the split rear seam Monday and get an improvised patch installed. I intend on using cut pieces of poster paper and spray-on truck bed liner. It's not much but it's all I've got.

Today I'll get the other two IIe's out of the closet and check them for loose boards and chips. I'm still finding things that were broken by that huge impact. The fact that the bedroom wasn't caved in is a testament to how well this old trailer is put together. I've seen mobile homes get totally wrecked by a hit like that. One near here got much of one side peeled off it.

[Image: DSCN3984.jpg]

[Image: DSCN3821.jpg]

[Image: DSCN6214.jpg]