The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6141)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 07-10-2013

Good morning. It's 79° with 91% humidity. The high will be 98°.
[Image: pcloudy-1.jpg][Image: cond20.jpg]

I was very tired yesterday and went to bed early. Woke up around 1am and realized I had the computer on. Went through the usual tabs and made a reply here and there then shut it down and went back to bed. Woke up at 7 and started my day. I'm feeling OK after yesterdays little KFC adventure. No pain anywhere. No plans for today. I may just watch some movies.

[Image: DSCN2601.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 07-10-2013

Greetings, gang.

It's a sunny 66 degrees this morning with an expected high of about 80. Looks to be a very nice day.

No shopping trip yesterday with the wife. She was still too tired to move. Today' agenda is still under consideration but will at least include a bike ride.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 07-10-2013

Good Morning Blue
A stuffy 79, going into the Hi 80s today.
Granny says we had a very nasty storm last night but I didn't hear it. She said one ka-boom set off some car alarms.
We had a nice out and back trip to see one of her sisters yesterday and there has been no news from my favorite train store.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 07-10-2013

Nothing happened today except a trip to town with my father. First to Market Basket, then the bank then to Wal-Mart where I picked up some sandwich fixings and a loaf of Texas Garlic Toast. An order of some stick-on rubber feet that were made to be used on computer cases came in today and I wasted no time in applying some to the bottoms of the assorted disk drives of my IIe and the Quentin disk drives that were provided by my neighbors father. My van backfired through the exhaust this morning and scared one of the neighborhood dogs so badly the poor thing ran into a fence post and a tree.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 07-10-2013

Well work was a bit odd today us new hires and a few other workers showed up for the 4:00 PM shift just to find out someone had cancelled the shift and did not relay the info to all(about 6 or so people just was not enough to run the machines) and then there was the storm that came threw the area very fast in a span of 20 minutes a tree was down in the parking lot it happend while we were in the office trying to find out what happened to the 4:00 pm shift. I had parked in that lot a few spaces down for that tree. After the storm had passed they sent us home and we might be working on Sunday and Monday either way the supervisor will call us to let us know when to come in next.

No othernews other than my feet are still not adjusted to the steel toed boots yet.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 07-10-2013

We're now in Traverse City, MI.
We had a small inconvenience with the A/C unit last night. It dripped water inside and when we turned the setting down or off it poured. We had the same problem last fall and it was suggested that we open a window or vent. Any suggestions?
No problems tonight as it's a lot colder.
Border crossing was smooth and quick. Even campers were being processed rapidly.

BR60103 Wrote:We're now in Traverse City, MI.
We had a small inconvenience with the A/C unit last night. It dripped water inside and when we turned the setting down or off it poured. We had the same problem last fall and it was suggested that we open a window or vent. Any suggestions?
The drainage channel between the front and rear halves of the unit is plugged up with dirt. The only fix is to take the covers off and wash the unit out. I used to have that problem when I was using the little thin filter that came with my unit. Now I use fiberglass filters and all the dirt gets trapped on the fiberglass. I only have to pull out and vacuum it and I can use the same filter several times before I have to change it.

Not much happened today. Just a quick shopping trip with my father this morning. This afternoon my Apple IIe computer and it's disk drives got their rubber feet. Many of the original feet were missing do I removed the remaining ones before applying the new ones. Now all the feet are the same size and nothing is sitting cockeyed. Hopefully tomorrow or Friday the new power supply for my mothers old IIe will come in and I can install it. The one in it works but makes a clicking sound like a stove burner heating up. Something in there is getting hot.

I may get some layout work done this week. Problem is I don't really feel like working on it. I think it's time to step back and take a break from it for a while.

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: DSCN4230.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 07-10-2013

In sunny CA. Landed in clouds and then it rained. :o Waiting for Don Baker to get home. Hope I can stay awake. 1:00+ my time. Good flights here. Later

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 07-11-2013

Greetings, gang.

Sunny and cool at 57 degrees this morning. High for today is expected to be about 84.

We picked up a trash out job yesterday. We go into abandoned or foreclosed homes and haul out the trash. It can be nasty work but pays pretty well. This one will probably take us a couple of days. The biggest problem is that we can't get a dumpster as big as we want. We may have to wait wile the dumpster is emptied. Have a feeling we're going to be pretty tired by the time it's over.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 07-11-2013

Well, I'll be darned, but it's RAINING outside right now. 2285_ 2285_ It's been a good four months since we've seen even a trace of rain. We were watching the news yesterday and they were talking about tracking a dust storm, but no mention of rain behind this storm even if it was in the forecast. About 90% of these dust storms come up from Tucson right up I-10 and into the Phoenix area from the southeast. Some, like the one yesterday had no mention of rain. We don't even know if the dust storm reached us, but we woke up this morning to rain, lightning and thunder. One thing I was please, aside from the rain, was that the weather reporter didn't use the term "haboob" to describe what for over 100 years, we called "dust storms". Someone got the bright idea that since they have haboobs over in Africa, that we should too, so a few years ago the US Weather Service went along with that. I guess I'm too old fashioned and set in my ways, but I'll never get use to us being in our "monsoon season" or having "haboobs" rather than just plain old dust storms. Nope

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 07-11-2013

Good morning. It's 76° with 96% humidity. The high will be 95°.
[Image: condmc-1.jpg][Image: cond50.jpg]

Looks like it could be a wet one today. I thought about working on the layout today and almost immediately realized I wanted nothing to do with it. Time to do something else for a while I guess. Anyway I have more important things to worry about. I guess today I'll watch some movies.

[Image: P1011478.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 07-11-2013

Good Morning Blue
A sunny 70 this morning.
I have been out for a hair cut and some errands, now the day is mine.
No train news yesterday except a chat with some of the guys last night.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 07-11-2013

I'm working on one of my Franklin disk drives today. It has a slight tracking problem and when you're working with16 sectors per track on 35 tracks (360k) you want to be as precise as possible. The adjustment is simple enough but must be done very carefully and the outer shell of the drive must be removed to do this. The drives are second generation Apple II compatibles and are nearly all metal in construction so are quite heavy. Feels like somewhere between six and eight pounds. You'd have no problem busting a windshield with one of these things. Now it's adjusted and working perfectly.

The little blue square with the white dot is the piece I to turn to make the adjustment.
[Image: DSCN4243.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 07-11-2013

RB,

Have you ever seen one of the apple IIc clones the laser 128??? I saw one years ago looks just like the the same case/enclosure. Are the extra drives a plug and play type deal or do you need a disk to install them? I have a IIe compatible drive someone gave me the power light lights up but I do not think the IIc recognizes the drive. The only info on its condition is that it came from a house of heavy smokers. Any idea where to start to trouble shoot the drive?

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My third day of work fell through as only 6 of us new hires and a few regulars showed up not enough to start up the machines, then the storm hit we had to wait the storm out then go home. They want me to come in at 7:45 am this Sunday for first shift, was hired on as a 2nd shift worker but hey work is work 2285_ Hope they have the scheduling worked out for next week. Oh yeah it is a great job so far 2285_

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The storms that came through here yesterday were very destructive tornado or straight line winds either way it was a bad one lots of downed trees and power lines across the city and suburbs.

AF350 Wrote:RB,

Have you ever seen one of the apple IIc clones the laser 128??? I saw one years ago looks just like the the same case/enclosure. Are the extra drives a plug and play type deal or do you need a disk to install them? I have a IIe compatible drive someone gave me the power light lights up but I do not think the IIc recognizes the drive. The only info on its condition is that it came from a house of heavy smokers. Any idea where to start to trouble shoot the drive?
I'm not sure about the clone but on the IIc the extra drive doesn't require any installation software. Just power the computer down, plug in the drive and reboot. The built-in drive will be DRIVE 1 and the extra drive will be identified as DRIVE 2. So to catalog (get list of files) the disk in the built-in drive you would type in CATALOG D1. For the added drive type in CATALOG D2. Many clone drives wre compatible with most Apples but not all the Apple drives were compatible with clones.