The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6141)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - rtraincollector - 09-21-2013

Morning all not much happening here. Been a while thought I would stop in and say hi. Hope all having a good weekend. Well time to get back to work

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 09-21-2013

Good morning. It's 69° with 100% humidity. The high will be 78° and will feel like 82°.
[Image: condmc-1.jpg] with a [Image: cond40.jpg]

It's quite wet here but at least it isn't raining. The lake hasn't started to rise yet, at least I can't see any evidence of it from the windows of my fathers office where I have my little workshop set up. Looks like more rain is expected today. The flash flood watch has been dropped.

Today I'll be doing some work on - you guessed it - the F3. I'm making changes on it that cross and mix phase distinctions that might make any rivet counter want to pack his bags and leave town. It's very definitely a phase I unit but it has certain things on it that were late phase II and some as late as phase IV but not as late as the F5 and it'll get crazier still. I'm having a lot of fun with this and I intend for it to get double and triple takes and some 'hey that's not supposed to be there' looks. It should blend right in with my other F units as most of them are rivet counter nightmares too.

[Image: P1010073-1.jpg]

[Image: 253-1.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 09-21-2013

I was digging around in my old photos and came across this, taken around the time of Katrina and Rita.

[Image: P1010003-43.jpg]

I did some work on the other Varney F3 today.

[Image: DSCN5184.jpg]

[Image: DSCN5196.jpg]

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

[Image: P1010007-18.jpg]

[Image: P1010007-13.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 09-22-2013

Good Morning Blue
We have sun and 51 degrees this morning.
We spent yesterday afternoon with some of granny's family but I got home in time to watch some football and a come from behind Tiger win.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 09-22-2013

Good afternoon. It's 74° with 51% humidity. The high will be 82° and will feel like 86°.
[Image: cond026.gif]

Had a little bit of a mishap this morning. I dropped a piece of clear plastic 'glass' and it just got lost on the carpet. So I was going to get down there and see if I could find it. So I got out of my chair and was lowering myself down when I lost my balance and down I went and not at the angle I had planned on. Landed on my butt which was nice as there's plenty of padding there. The momentum carried me on over onto my back and my head just missed the leg of a Steel Case desk that's next to my computer table here (one of those old steel, wood and masonite things the army bought lots of back in the 70's and 80's). I was none the worse for wear and I realized that when I fell I was more concerned with hitting the table and splashing my drink that I was about getting hurt. Oh well, no harm done. It took me about ten seconds to find the piece of plastic and about that long again to get back on my chair.

Today's task is to put 'glass' in the windshield and window openings of one or maybe both of the Zamac F3 shells. The window kit comes in one piece that apparently can be clipped right into place. That may work fine in a plastic shell but it doesn't even begin in a metal shell. So far I've had to cut sides of the windshield free and carefully trim almost all of the plastic from the edges so they will fit in place. It was while attempting to fit one of the pieces that it turned and dropped through the windshield opening and through the help of something that somebody named gravity it ended up on the carpet. See how that ties in with what's above? Anyway I now both sides of the windshield fitted in place and secured with super glue. The windows are next. If they require the same amount of attention as the first two pieces I may be at this all day. As much of a battle as it's been so far I may fill in the window openings with clear glue as I did the portholes.

[Image: DSCN5202.jpg]

[Image: 248.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 09-22-2013

Good morning everyone, yeah, it's still morning here as well as the west coast.It won't be until October before we get back in sync with MST. Today is the first day of Fall and temps here should stay in the 90's. It's not Fall around here until it stays below 100, and I do still see some triple-digits in the forecast. The mornings are cool enough that I can work on some projects in the garage, but only for a while, then it's inside to finish up on my orphan challenge project. Which reminds me, there's still time to vote for your favorite projects. Vote for as many entries as you want, but please vote. The polls close on the 30th.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 09-22-2013

Afternoon. Went to Sunday School and the gro. Went to Tractor Supply this afternoon. Black oil sunflower bird food $19.99 for 50 lbs. Home Depot and Lowe's is almost $30 for 50 lbs. 12 suet cakes for $10. Will have happy birds here.

Fiat, heard from Son? Bet all is OK.

Later

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 09-22-2013

Well I fought with most of the windows that I put in one of the F3's then used clear tape and Go2Glue to finish the job. I then made all the window and porthole glass for the other F3 using the tape and glue method. And I got a surprise today. My nieces husband brought me an XBox 360 and some games to play. It's set up and ready to go. I'll get around to checking it out sometime later. It's not a high priority right now.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chuck - 09-22-2013

What a GREAT day! Things have just been falling into place with some locomotive projects I have been monkeying with over the years. But the BEST part was when I got my little Bachmann 44 tonner to finally run smoothly. It is a newer one with DCC on-board -- it just never ran well. It always jerked and stuttered at low speeds, would sometimes stall on switches, but not always. I have had this engine for a few years and have tinkered with it on and off. I was thinking about how to get better pick up when the idea hit me to check the old two-motor 44 tonners as they probably has wipers on the trucks. They sure do! Today I stripped the wipers off the trucks from the old two-motor 44 tonners, trimmed them to fit, and installed them on my single-engine 44 tonner. Pick-up problems gone -- no stalling or dying anywhere. Now to the stuttering issue. Over the years I tried a Digitrax sound decoder, NCE basic decoder, and the latest is a TCS with BEMF. I figured the BEMF would help the stuttering. Nope. I was bummed that I would never get this little critter to run well (I really like switch engines). I was perusing the TCS website today and noticed something about turning the BEMF off. Hmmm, why not? Nothing else has worked. Voila! The thnig runs FANTASTIC with the BEMF turned off. It creeps along without stuttering and no stalling. The TCS decoder is doing something to make it run smoothly the other decoders could not do. It is a GREAT day!

Chuck

Hello Chuck. Good to hear you got the little 44 tonner working good.

Time for me to call it a night. See y'all tomorrow.

Wanted: Vandal. Approximate age: 11-14. White male. Last seen throwing rocks near Sundown shops. Wanted for questioning about glass damage.
[Image: DSCN5217.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 09-23-2013

Good morning. It's 61° with 89% humidity. The high will be 88° and will feel like 91°.
[Image: condmc-1.jpg] with a [Image: cond20.jpg]

No plans for today, yet. Gotta redo the windshield in one of the F3's.

[Image: 244.jpg]

[Image: 237.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 09-23-2013

Greetings, gang.

It's partly and 54 degrees outside my window this morning. High for today is supposed to be in the mid 70s.

Yesterday I got a few minor chores done around the house. Wife was gone so I had no adult supervision. No plans for today yet other than a trip to the gym.

My son arrived safely at about 3:30 PM Jakarta time on Sunday afternoon. That translates to about 3:30 AM Sunday morning Iowa time as he is almost exactly half way around the world. No updates yet on his activities since then. He did say that the flight from Houston to Moscow was fairly empty and he had an entire row to stretch out and sleep on. No such luck on the next two legs, Moscow to Singapore and Singapore to Jakarta. Both planes were full. I'll update as I hear more.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 09-23-2013

OMG a married man was able to do chores without being supervised. miracles do happen....LOL
Good Morning Blue
We have a sunny 55 this morning.
Yesterday was a TV day with the Lions win and a Tiger loss. I still got in my short nap though.
Granny is doing some canning and like a good husband I am staying out of the way unless called upon for assistance.
TTFN S.J.