The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6141)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Steamtrains - 10-02-2013

Running Bear Wrote:Good morning. It's 71° with 100% humidity. The high will be 88° and will feel like 95°.
[Image: condmc-1.jpg] with a [Image: cond40.jpg]

As of yesterday I have an Athearn GP50 making it's way here through the postal system. That'll give me something new to work on. I have some passenger cars I can work on but I want to wait until I can get the proper parts for them. I've done about as much as I can with the F3's short of painting and converting to DCC.

[Image: P9240008.jpg]

[Image: P1010010.jpg]

RB...Been meaning to ask...Are your backdrops "home made" or commercial..?? If commercial, where did you get them from? They really make your scenes come to life... Thumbsup

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 10-02-2013

Steamtrains Wrote:RB...Been meaning to ask...Are your backdrops "home made" or commercial..?? If commercial, where did you get them from? They really make your scenes come to life... Thumbsup
They're half and half. The town was copied and pasted from some backdrop photos online. I don't remember where anymore. The forested hills were also copied and pasted in pieces and put together in Paint. The buildings and hills aren't near as sharp as they appear. Within a foot or two they appear as a bunch of fuzzy pixels that resemble structures and such but further away and especially in photos they look much better. The sky background is blue poster board that's been painted nimble blue and the clouds were copied and pasted from online then cut out and glued to the poster board then lightly touched up with spray paint.

The backdrop/background I have now is a commercial one purchased from Busch some years ago. I think I got the last ones they had as I haven't seen anymore when I went back to look. The sky background is as before, poster board, nimble blue flat latex paint. The clouds were sprayed on.

[Image: P1010003.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 10-02-2013

Steamtrains Wrote:
ezdays Wrote:It's right about now when the snowbirds start flocking in from up north and we are once again faced with traffic jams, both on the streets and in the store parking lots.. :cry:

We have the same problem here, although most "snowbirds" come in their mobile homes and set up shop at the local trailer parks. We also see a leap in the number of ol' folks at the supermarkets and shopping malls. Bet the shop keepers can't wait for winter to roll in...

We have that too. There's one large "RV resort" about 1/2 mile away that has over 2000 spaces. Many lots are purchased and have add-ons built as an extension for the RV. One big problem is when they show up, most have RV's towing a small vehicle and seem to think that the road wanders around. At least that's how some drive, going from lane to lane, or staying in the fast lane going about 1/2 the speed limit.

But like you say, it's good for the economy and I'm sure the merchants can't wait for them to return. We are surrounded by around five different Sun Cities, probably 35-40,000 homes total, and a good many occupied just in the winter. The line at the Post Office the other day was out the door, we haven't seen that since Spring.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 10-02-2013

Well we've snagged two more mice with the snap traps and the cat nailed another one for three. So that's cat 2, snap traps 4, glue traps 0.

Didn't get anything done trainwise today. I have an appointment in the morning at the prosthetic clinic in DeRidder to see about getting the whatever it is that's supposed to reshape the stump of my leg so that it's more prosthesis friendly. That should just about do away with the morning.

I want to get some TV time in tonight so I'm calling it a night. See y'all sometime tomorrow.

[Image: Imag0008-1.jpg]

It's sometimes hard to believe this is Bachmann EZ-Track.
[Image: P1010008.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 10-03-2013

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 66 with a high expected to be about 74. The rain that was headed our way just fizzled out. Rain to the north and south of town but nothing here. More chances of rain through Friday night.

No major activities planned for today other than a bike ride. Wife wants to take some stuff to the attic and bring stuff down for our trip to South Dakota. I'll probably also go for a bike ride this afternoon.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 10-03-2013

Good morning y'all (I did live in Texas for a year), another nice fall day in store. The TV weather people are telling us about a "cold front" heading our way. To us that means highs in the high-80's to low 90's. Yeah, I know, a "cold front" to some people means snow, sleet and icy roads and even sub-zero temps. We still have the A/C kick in now and then. We'd like a few weeks between having the A/C on and turning on the furnace. One way or the other, the utility companies get their piece of us... :cry:

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Steamtrains - 10-03-2013

Running Bear Wrote:
Steamtrains Wrote:RB...Been meaning to ask...Are your backdrops "home made" or commercial..?? If commercial, where did you get them from? They really make your scenes come to life... Thumbsup
They're half and half. The town was copied and pasted from some backdrop photos online. I don't remember where anymore. The forested hills were also copied and pasted in pieces and put together in Paint. The buildings and hills aren't near as sharp as they appear. Within a foot or two they appear as a bunch of fuzzy pixels that resemble structures and such but further away and especially in photos they look much better. The sky background is blue poster board that's been painted nimble blue and the clouds were copied and pasted from online then cut out and glued to the poster board then lightly touched up with spray paint.

The backdrop/background I have now is a commercial one purchased from Busch some years ago. I think I got the last ones they had as I haven't seen anymore when I went back to look. The sky background is as before, poster board, nimble blue flat latex paint. The clouds were sprayed on.

Thanks for the info. I'll look into this, although spraying the clouds (which are VERY realistic) might be beyond my abilities....

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 10-03-2013

Good Morning Blue
I would love to be one of those snowbirds, I don't blame them for wanting to get away from a northern winter.
We too are looking forward to a southern trip sometime before spring. West is nice but I don't feel like driving that far. Lucky you.
We have a sunny 65 but the man says rain before the day is over.
Grass is cut and nothing on the to-do list today.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 10-03-2013

Morning. Back from lake house. Had Dr.'s apt. Now back to the lake house until tomorrow night. Got Board of Property Owners Assoc. tomorrow night. Off to farm Sat.

Fiat, hope son is doing OK.

Later

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 10-03-2013

Good morning. It's 78° with 89% humidity. The high will be 88°and will feel like 97°.
[Image: condmc-1.jpg] with a [Image: cond30.jpg]

Made it to my appointment this morning and got a prosthetic sock that will shrink the stump down to an acceptable size. I go back to see them again on the 31st. I told the nurse I'll have to remember to bring my mask and bag. It took her a few seconds but she got it. Halloween. Everything went well this morning until we got back home. By that time I was very tired. Not much sleep last night and using that walker gives a heck of an upper body workout. The last hurdle before getting into the house was the step at the door. It's only three or four inches high but that was high enough for me to trip on when I tried hopping up it. I hung onto the walker and used it for support so I didn't fall over but that didn't prevent me from going to my knees. From there it was a short trip on my hands and knees to my power chair. From there it was an easy matter to get up onto the seat. If that's the worst my day gets I'll be happy.

We scored another mouse! That's five for the snap traps, two for the cat and zero for the sticky traps.

[Image: P1010009.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 10-03-2013

Went out to dinner today with my father and step mother. My choice of places. Los Mayos of course. It's the easiest one for me to get into. Upon getting home it was another upper body workout with the walker. I didn't trip in the doorway this time. But as a result of all the walker use today I'm very tired and sore. The bed is looking really good. Got an appointment tomorrow. They want to do ultrasound scans of my neck to find the partially blocked blood vessel that's playing heck with my hearing. So I'm calling it a night. I'll see y'all tomorrow.

[Image: P9110407.jpg]

[Image: P9100381.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 10-04-2013

Greetings, gang.

It's rainy and 61 degrees this morning YAAAAY!!!!!!!!! It's a slow steady rain so it should soak in. Strong to severe thunderstorms are predicted for this afternoon and evening. The high for today is suggested to be in the upper 70s. Tomorrow and Sunday the highs are only expected to be in the mid 50s.

In other weather related news, our daughter (who we're going to visit in less than two weeks) is in a blizzard warning! She could get up to 15 inches of snow and 70 mph winds.

Talked to my son last night. He's back home but still dealing with events in Indonesia. So he works all day and then spends his evenings on the phone talking to his crew over there. Sometimes as late as two in the morning. Makes for some very long days.

Grandson had his surgery yesterday and all is well. Had his tonsils and adenoids out.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - Running Bear - 10-04-2013

Good morning. It's 74° with 100% humidity and patchy fog. The high will be 89° and feel like 101°.
[Image: condmc-1.jpg] with a [Image: cond20.jpg]

I'm expecting two packages to arrive today. One is from a member on my forum and the other is from the Big Blue Train forum. Other than that the only thing going on today is a doc appointment in town so they can look at the blood vessels in my neck. After that, no plans.

[Image: P9100380.jpg]

[Image: P9100370.jpg]

[Image: gonecrazy.jpg]

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 10-04-2013

Good Morning Blue
We have a sunny 69 with some rain overnight.
But yesterday was a perfect day at 76 degrees.
Today is not planned so I'm just checking in.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VI.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 10-04-2013

Good morning all on this last workday (for most) of he week. Weather-wise, we're looking at below normal temps, lows in the 60's and highs in the upper 80's. The Weather Channel says, "abundance of sunshine". Ahh yes, living here is finally paying off.

Trying to build an office for my fuel depot. Kitbashed one, but it doesn't look right, so I'll try something else. Hey, it's keeping me busy and out of trouble. Icon_lol Confusedhock: