Start of a second kitbashing project - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Scratchbuilding and kitbashing - All Scales (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Thread: Start of a second kitbashing project (/showthread.php?tid=6327)

Start of a second kitbashing project - AF350 - 09-14-2013

Here are 2 pics of the subject of my next adventure in kitbashing(note first kitbashing will continue for awhile before I discombobulate this train.

Re: Start of a second kitbashing project - AF350 - 09-14-2013

Here are some pics with what I have planned to do to the loco.

Re: Start of a second kitbashing project - gbwdude - 09-16-2013

Looks like a neat project. Are you planning to get crazy with it and build it with DCC, sound and the whole nine? Or will this be just a modified Christmas Tree cat chaser? Either way I like taking toys and making them into something more realistic. It's a fun challenge.

Re: Start of a second kitbashing project - AF350 - 09-16-2013

gbwdude Wrote:Looks like a neat project. Are you planning to get crazy with it and build it with DCC, sound and the whole nine? Or will this be just a modified Christmas Tree cat chaser? Either way I like taking toys and making them into something more realistic. It's a fun challenge.

If the original mechanisim fits On30 / HO will just remove the sound portion takes up most of the cab space with the small motor underneth the sound board. It may also get a new paint job. I found these sets in a Lakeside catalog for a little over 8 bucks not bad for a conversion to On30 Icon_lol worse case look for an HO basket case small loco 0-4-0 or 0-6-0 conventional no DCC at this time I do have 2 command locomotives TMCC and DCS (Lionel S & MTH O)

When I see an odd sized battery op train with a nice loco and or cool train cars my mind starts formulating what it can be changed into. I used to be a member of COSG Central Ohio S Gaugers and at a show one time one of the members had a nice caboose with a santa figure in it I ask how he built it he said it was an old christmas ornament that he added S gauge trucks to. That caboose comes to mind whenever I find "toy" train sets with potential for kitbashing.

Re: Start of a second kitbashing project - AF350 - 09-21-2013

As luck would have it the gauge of the loco is almost spot on with HO/On30 gauge track 2285_ however the flanges are too tall Misngth Like someone has already said it is a challenge Icon_lol Maybe I could glue a rubberband to the wheels or a heavy layer of bullfrog snot(a real product for making traction tires out of liquid green rubber that dries to an almost clear traction tire) as I said before worse case look for an Ho junker and do a boiler&cab transplant Confusedhock:

Re: Start of a second kitbashing project - AF350 - 12-01-2013

No progress yet here, but still Imagineering changes to be made to locomotive. Hope to have some progress on this by end of month.

Re: Start of a second kitbashing project - Sumpter250 - 12-01-2013

" Smokestack and dome touching, not much I can do about that" .......

I see two options possible......

Wink Confusedhock: raise the stack, or, shorten the dome. 8-) Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
of the two, I would go with lowering the dome, it looks just a bit too tall.

That's what razor saws were made for. Cheers

Re: Start of a second kitbashing project - AF350 - 12-02-2013

Thanks for the idea , really do not like the looks of the dome anyway.

I looked at the work shop/bench the other day and that was about it, did run some trains for awhile.

Re: Start of a second kitbashing project - AF350 - 05-27-2014

This will be third in line to start and complete, old but not forgotten.