Ludgren Equipment Scratchbuild - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Branchline (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=45)
+--- Forum: Scratchbuilding and kitbashing - All Scales (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=27)
+--- Thread: Ludgren Equipment Scratchbuild (/showthread.php?tid=6383)

Pages: 1 2 3

Ludgren Equipment Scratchbuild - mountaingoatgreg - 10-09-2013

This was my second choice for my Orphan Challenge, in looking at the time frame that I was allowed I knew I would not finish, so I decided to do something else. Now that the challenge is over I decided that this would be a good project to pick away at for the next year...

I wanted to build some logging and heavy equipment but really did not have a place to put it on my current Free-mo modules. In looking at this building I figured I could change it into a heavy equipment and truck repair shop and fil lthe yard with interesting equipment. It would also give me a place to park my stuff and photograph it when finished.

This building started as as part of a garage I was going to build for my layour in Kansas. Since then I have removed the small vehicle section and decided to use the small side area as a machne shop and crew area.

Here is what I started with.

[Image: IMG_3308.JPG]

I have removed the back end of the buildign to place in some larger windows and started on the machine/crew area of the building

Here is the front view
[Image: IMG_7025.JPG]

and back view
[Image: IMG_7027.JPG]

My next task is to frame in the large rear widnows and make some repairs to some of the studs.
I also have around 25 large trusses and 12 small trusses that I need to build.

[Image: IMG_7028.JPG]

I did build a jig for the trusses, but it is still very time consuming...

Re: Ludgren Equipment Scratchbuild - faraway - 10-09-2013

May be you keep it in the under construction state? It is a real beauty! I did always like the way how US wood based structures look during construction.

Re: Ludgren Equipment Scratchbuild - Sumpter250 - 10-09-2013

There is something definitely to be said about wood frame construction, modeled in scale. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Re: Ludgren Equipment Scratchbuild - Tyson Rayles - 10-09-2013

Looks great so far!

Re: Ludgren Equipment Scratchbuild - mountaingoatgreg - 10-10-2013

Thanks guys!!
I am glad you like it so far. I have thought of building a house under construction, but that will be another project. This one will have the walls completed and the interior fully detailed.
I was going through some of my old projects that I had started for my layout in Kansa and came across this hardware store. I have no need for a detailed hardware store interior, but all the tools and shelving could easily be used to detail the interior of this build. So I spent some time removing the details and storing them for later.

[Image: interior7.jpg]

Re: Ludgren Equipment Scratchbuild - Sumpter250 - 10-10-2013

mountaingoatgreg Wrote:I have no need for a detailed hardware store interior, but all the tools and shelving could easily be used to detail the interior of this build. So I spent some time removing the details and storing them for later.
[Image: interior7.jpg]

Always good to see someone. . . . "Recycle". . . . Wink Smile Smile Thumbsup Thumbsup 357

Re: Ludgren Equipment Scratchbuild - mountaingoatgreg - 11-03-2013

I am trying to do a better job of not buying what I don't need, but I am glad when I can repurpose things and get rid of things I have no use for.

Here is a little update.

[Image: Lud+Equip4.jpg]

[Image: Lud+Equip5.jpg]

Re: Ludgren Equipment Scratchbuild - mountaingoatgreg - 11-03-2013

A little more progress this weekend:

[Image: Lud+Equip9.jpg]

[Image: Lud+Equip8.jpg]

I built a small office area and got the walls up in the machine shop.

Re: Ludgren Equipment Scratchbuild - faraway - 11-04-2013

Very very impressive!

Re: Ludgren Equipment Scratchbuild - shortliner - 11-04-2013

It really does seem a shame to cover that over!

Re: Ludgren Equipment Scratchbuild - mountaingoatgreg - 11-04-2013

Thanks guys!!

I have had a good time with this build, at times it has been very frustrating, but also, has been very rewarding. Since this is going to sit on the edge of a module and I plan on using it as a photo diorama I figured it would be worth the extra time and added detail. I think when this one is done I am going to do a quicker project so I can get a little more done in possibly less time.

Re: Ludgren Equipment Scratchbuild - Kev1340 - 11-20-2013

Beautiful work, you have great patience! This will certainly be an eye catching feature when it's finished Thumbsup

Cheers,

Kev

Re: Ludgren Equipment Scratchbuild - Steamtrains - 11-21-2013

There's nothing I enjoy more than "stick building"...
And you're doing a great job..!! Thumbsup

Re: Ludgren Equipment Scratchbuild - mountaingoatgreg - 11-30-2013

OK, after some issues with a first attmept at adding sheeting I finally got it covered and painted. I have added some Grandt Line windows and doors which give it a much more finished apperance.

[Image: Lud+Equip+11.jpg]

[Image: Lud+Equip+10.jpg]

Re: Ludgren Equipment Scratchbuild - mountaingoatgreg - 03-01-2014

OOOooo Look I did something...

[Image: Lud+Equip+12.jpg]