Go get the wrecker - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: Photographer's right of way (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=37)
+--- Forum: Shutterbug area (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=6)
+--- Thread: Go get the wrecker (/showthread.php?tid=6766)

Pages: 1 2 3 4 5

Re: Go get the wrecker - Charlie B - 05-04-2014

e-paw Wrote:WOW Eek did the railroad ever stop feeding that crossover grain cars ??? It must have been very hungry.
Yes they fixed it, took it clear out. Goldth
Charlie

Re: Go get the wrecker - Lester Perry - 05-04-2014

Here's one that went for a swim

[Image: 100_1424.jpg]

Same bridge same day same wreck. This one stayed dry though.

[Image: 100_1421.jpg]

Re: Go get the wrecker - Schraddel - 05-05-2014

Charlie B Wrote:[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
Charlie
Charlie B Wrote:[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
Charlie
Charlie!
Do you be sure that these are actually train wrecks? Or may it be that these are certain secret "green" agricultural experiments? :mrgreen:

Lutz

Re: Go get the wrecker - e-paw - 05-05-2014

I think you may be on to something Schraddel, but there must be a better way of spreading seeds. 357 357 357 357 357

Re: Go get the wrecker - Charlie B - 05-05-2014

I think there was a movie about "Birds" in 1963
Charlie

Re: Go get the wrecker - Mr Fixit - 05-05-2014

Charlie, any idea on what the total count of grain cars that crossover ate before it was removed with extreme prejudice?
How long was it in service [er, 35 if that is right] and any idea why it was good at eating grain cars?
Just curious, wondered if you knew, dont bust a boiler over it if you dont.
Mark

Re: Go get the wrecker - Mr Fixit - 05-05-2014

Same bridge same day same wreck. This one stayed dry though.

[Image: 100_1421.jpg][/quote]

Lester, I dont know if it is the camera angle or not, but it looks like your track and bridge engineers [and crews] weren't getting along, judging by that kink in the alignment just at the joint between the bridge span and the approach trackwork. While your interviewing them both, ask why no gauntlet rails were installed on the approach and across the bridge deck span. There maybe more to this than meets the eye. If gauntlet rails are missing, what else could be or is missing. Is someone on "the fiddle"? Was someone "saving" reo bar in the abutments, and the gauntlet rail for use elsewhere, or pocketing the money saved? Why were the missing rails not noted at the Bridge Handover Inspection? Why have your Track Inspectors not noted this, or if they have, where has the management chain broken down?
Might be something to note in your Accident Report to Senior Management as to the cause of this expensive accident.
Mark

Re: Go get the wrecker - Charlie B - 05-05-2014

Mr Fixit Wrote:Charlie, any idea on what the total count of grain cars that crossover ate before it was removed with extreme prejudice?
How long was it in service [er, 35 if that is right] and any idea why it was good at eating grain cars?
Just curious, wondered if you knew, dont bust a boiler over it if you dont.
Mark
Mark I would have to guess the problem was the geometry of the area, the condition of the track at the time, and the type of cars involved. Those covered hoppers could derail by rocking off of the track and it wasn't high speed that caused this. I think it was in the 10 to 15 MPH range, which was the allowed track speed on the bad track through here in the early Conrail years. The crossover was also located just east of a curve and it was only from one direction, but I can't remember if that was trailing or facing. I would guess it was there for 25 years total.
Charlie

Re: Go get the wrecker - Lester Perry - 05-05-2014

Mr fixit there has been repair work on the track here. As to the other observations you made. Well you see it is like this. Yes that is it exactly, I think you understand the situation Wink Big Grin

Re: Go get the wrecker - e-paw - 05-25-2014

CNJ wreck in Bayonne, New Jersey. Just before Conrail. Photo by Toptrain.
A good photo reference for under body detail.

Re: Go get the wrecker - Schraddel - 05-26-2014

Fix'er up, fitt'er out, mad'er run:

[Image: dsc06806hgx77.jpg]

[Image: dsc068085yxae.jpg]

[Image: dsc06810g1y9o.jpg]

Yeah, she was hit by the concrete floor...

Lutz

Re: Go get the wrecker - e-paw - 05-26-2014

Ya got to watch those concrete floors,,, They have a tendency to jump out and attack model trains.

Re: Go get the wrecker - Mr Fixit - 05-27-2014

e-paw Wrote:Ya got to watch those concrete floors,,, They have a tendency to jump out and attack model trains.

And power saws. The same thing happened the other day at work when the lead of the power saw tangled with my leg and the next thing I know is the power saw took a dive off the back of the ute, er i mean the concrete floor just jumped up and smacked the saw. 35
Thats my story and Im sticking to it.
Mark

Re: Go get the wrecker - Mr Fixit - 05-27-2014

Lester Perry Wrote:Mr fixit there has been repair work on the track here. As to the other observations you made. Well you see it is like this. Yes that is it exactly, I think you understand the situation Wink Big Grin

Lester; Oh Dear its that bad is it.
Tell me is the bloke in charge of one gang named Graft and the other Cor-ruption by any chance?
Mark

Re: Go get the wrecker - jwb - 06-06-2014

I finally got around to scanning some of the photos I took of German steam when I went over looking for it in 1971. Here is a class 050 2-10-0 whose tender went on the ground in Tubingen:

The green car behind the loco is a standard wreck outfit rebuilt from WWII emergency coaches.