The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6928)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ak-milw - 03-07-2015

Evening everyone, a balmy 45 degrees today, which is better that the -10 below that it has been. A nice sunny Wisconsin day. Out burning brush piles today, have to get rid of them before all the snow melts.

8-)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 03-07-2015

Tom:
we're having a struggle with a radio shop. We took back one of our internet radios because of intermittent problems. That was the beginning of November and it's not back yet. They tell us it was sent to the manufacturer, in California?, and they never know what the status is.

I was watching a mat cutter/framer in action last week. After talking to him, he gave me a box of lightly used mat cutting blades; he uses a fresh blade for each mat and only uses one corner. The blades are flat one side for more accurate cutting and he seemeed to get through the mat in a single pass.

Went to a funeral mass for one our Platelayers today - Tony Ross. Very packed church as he was also a local doctor. He was a founder of the club, about 39 years ago.
Checking the club registry, I'm now among the 7 longest members. 3 of us always though of ourselves as the youngest members, and we're now OAPs.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 03-08-2015

Good morning/ Sunny and warm. Did not go below freezing. Mid to upper 60's all this week. Off to lake house to get it ready to sell. Will be away from computer all the time. Have a great week.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 03-08-2015

Good morning everyone, for those of you that have to follow this "spring ahead" thingy, I hope you at least stayed in bed an extra hour to make up for it. For us here in Arizona, we don't go along with DST, we did one year long ago when congress decided that states would have to opt out. I was here that year, and I remember it being light up until 9PM or so, and over 100 degrees well past midnight. DST just doesn't work for us here. Oh, the Navajo Nation does comply, but since it spreads into New Mexico, they wanted to stay on the same time all over their territory. I don't blame them, besides, they're way up in the northern part of the state anyway and don't have the high temps we do down here in the desert. Anyway, we are now three hours behind the east coast and the same time as California.

Temps yesterday got up to 83, and there's nothing but mid to very high 80's in the forecast. We could see our first 90 by this time next week... Eek

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 03-08-2015

Hello Blue
Sun and 40s today
Just back from a month in Naples Fla., still way too much snow here.
Got my York badge and ready to go. Spent ALL of the morning going through the mail and writing checks for a couple bills the kids missed.
Yes I still pay with checks, don't trust the internet for anything.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 03-09-2015

WAKE UP gang. Real warm and cloudy. Will be gone for a few. Going to lake house and get ready to sell. Have a great week.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 03-09-2015

Good morning all, I hope you all are adjusting to this DST change. Is the US the only country doing this? It used to be only during the summer, but now we're setting clocks ahead early in March and back again late in October. That's almost 2/3 of the year, why bother? I really wonder what the payback is. Is it really worth the disruption, do we really save enough energy to justify all this? Who's behind this anyway? There was a bill making its way thought the Arizona legislature for us to join in this idiocy, but someone must have knocked some sense into the author of the bill because he finally withdrew it citing, "other more important issues".... Well, duh!!!! 35

Temps today in the mid-80's climbing to 90 by this time next week. No records though, they are all in the high-90's for now. I really don't think we're ready for that. Nope

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 03-09-2015

Greetings, gang.

Sunny and 32 this morning with a predicted high in the mid 50s. Tomorrow's high is supposed to be above 60. Looks like spring is about ready to arrive.

This morning's agenda will include a trip to the store for some needed groceries. Chemo tomorrow then two weeks off before the next treatment.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - mr bachmann - 03-09-2015

Rain , rain and more rain +++ ( Goldth )

Hi Don , don't worry about DST - we do it here in UK , they brought it in during WW2 and its stayed with us since , the confusion it must cause to baby's needing a feed , diabetics , air travel times and so on .
British summertime begins on Sunday 29 March @ 1am . when the clocks go forward one hour . Then the clocks go back 0ne hour in October around the 3rd weekend .

We wont bother asking the authority's as they may not know either 35

alan

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - shortliner - 03-09-2015

I believe the original intention was to allow farmers to work late in the fields during the war - the old days of" Dawn to Dusk" in the countryside - now they cite less chance of kids being killed on the roads in the daylight - but they don't seem to worry about the little darlings riding round on their bikes without lights in Winter!

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 03-09-2015

shortliner Wrote:I believe the original intention was to allow farmers to work late in the fields during the war - the old days of" Dawn to Dusk" in the countryside - now they cite less chance of kids being killed on the roads in the daylight - but they don't seem to worry about the little darlings riding round on their bikes without lights in Winter!
but the major objectors to DST are the rural communities -- they claim the cows don't get up any earlier.
I say if the gummint wants us at work at 7 instead of 8 they should just tell us, instead of lying about what time it is.
When I was young, the railways stayed on standard time all year. I never noticed if they adjusted the schedules any in the summer.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 03-10-2015

Good morning all, I guess things are starting to thaw out back east, from what I see on the news that is.... According to the weather people, we should see a big "H" up in the sky. Well, it's still a bit dark out, but I rather doubt that I'll see it, even later. That big "H" that they keep showing on the map is causing us some unseasonably warm temps, with our first 90 forecast for next week. A bit early, but not unusual since the records for this time of year all show to be in the high-90's. Ideal weather for the baseball fans and any snowbirds that are still hanging around, which is most of them since they don't start going home until around early May.

As far as DST, I still don't know what the payback is. Is there a massive saving of energy that can justify the massive confusion? I know this, our power company has an ongoing power saving program that urges us to conserve electricity. Well, it worked and people are using less power, so guess what? Yup, they had to raise the rates to make up the reduction in profits. Not only that, they get to keep the money that they've been collecting from us to build new power plants since they don't need any right now. Oh yeah, and one other power company here wants to charge solar users an extra $50 a month since they're not using enough electricity to support the grid. 35 They all urge us to use solar power, but when we do, they still get their money one way or the other. Curse Maybe we could have a DDST (double daylight savings) time, and spring ahead two hours. 357

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 03-10-2015

Greetings, gang.

Sunny and 63 degrees this evening after a high of 66. Highs for the remainder of the week are supposed to be similar.

Don - IIRC I believe DDST was tried during one of the wars. I was just talking to my son about dst a few minutes ago. The draw back is that at this time of year it's a zero sum game. You either use the energy in the morning or in the evening. Never has made sense to me.

Yesterday afternoon we got to sit on the front porch and watch the world go by. First time since last fall.

Chemo was routine today but with one doctor on vacation appointments were running a little late. In two weeks we travel to Ames for a CT scan to see how things are progressing.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 03-10-2015

Don: Toronto is building a new express line out to the airport. At one point the airport authority were going to add a $2 charge to make up for the passengers' not using the paid parking lot.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 03-11-2015

Good morning folks, yet another "Hump Day" is here. Today is a great day to be outdoors, except for those with allergies. Pollen count is way high. I don't know what kind of a scale they use to determine how bad things are, but they're saying we're at an 11 on a scale that tops out at 12. We'll see, it's too nice not to go out target shooting today, we are suppose to hit 88 late this afternoon, so we're headed out early. Might be a good time to bring some anti-pollen spray with us, I just couldn't find any in any store thought. 35

BR60103 Wrote:Don: Toronto is building a new express line out to the airport. At one point the airport authority were going to add a $2 charge to make up for the passengers' not using the paid parking lot.
It's funny how politicians feel that they have a right to a certain part of our income. and according to them, everyone has to pay their fair share, even those that don't use whatever it is they're selling... I don't go to any football, basketball, baseball or hockey games, yet we all have to pay a tax to support those venues they play at. :evil: