The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6928)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 03-30-2015

Mr Bachmann:
I've been interested in transporter bridges (basically, I knew what they were) since I heard Runcorn Ferry. Sorry to read in your attachments that the Widnes bridge is gone. (As nobody wanted to go either place, well, business weren't any too good).

It might make an interesting scene going over an access aisle,

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - mr bachmann - 03-31-2015

hi David , glad to here you have interest in the transporter bridge , the Middlesbrough one has just re-opened after a multi thousand's pound up-grade , for the past few weeks travel across has been free both for cars and pedestrian's , but that will change in April . The gondola has been up graded and we are getting a lift so pedestrian access over the top is permissible , in the old days workmen would walk across the top - up the steep ladder stairs to save waiting for the gondola to return .
I will get down again soon and go in the visitor centre and get you more info and could arrange to post them on ?

rant over , its very windy here with squally showers and loads of sunshine .
enjoy your day everyone .

Alan

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 03-31-2015

Sunny and chilly early morning. Now real warm. A fast warm up.

No word from Tom in the last few. ??? Prayers.

Have a good one.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 03-31-2015

Good Morning Blue
Misty and 34 degrees.
About an inch of snow on the ground but the pavement was warm enough to just stay wet.
No train news except our evening chat.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 03-31-2015

Good morning everyone. Kind of a hot one yesterday, not only did we reach the high 90's, but the lowest temp of the day was a record 70. I know, a lot of folks would be happy to have that as their high.

I know TrainNut doesn't miss the Phoenix heat, but he has to remember, he never had to own a snow plow or shovel when he lived here. And, just to add to what he might miss, here's a picture of one of our cacti blooming. I've taken pictures of it just about every year and here is what it looked like yesterday with 15 blooms on it:

And, here's one I took nine years ago. Also, look at the candlestick cactus against the wall, it's grown a bit as well:

We do not water these cacti, they soak up what they can when it rains so they can go a long time without water, kind of like a camel. We've had a lot of rain these past few months so that accounts for the abundance of blooms. Incidentally, the four red stalks at the left side are the only blooms on there today. Cactus blooms only last one day, then whither and drop off without leaving a trace on the plant.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 03-31-2015

EZdays,

Do those cacti ever get infested with spiders? When I was a kid we had cactus planted around basement windows, they pretty much are still thriving here in Ohio. They bloom on occasion and have really short fine needles that are very painful and hard to remove.

Warm but very windy here at the moment.

Got my book on scratch building Locomotives, the sample project used to teach the skills in the book is an OO gauge J15 which is an 0-6-0 type locomotive, If I can find suitable wheels here in the US will build the loco in S gauge and scale. Not ready to give it a shot yet as I have only read a few chapters so far and I am having to do an English to English translation now and then, such as a piercing saw(jewelers saw) and torch(flash light). Anyway the bare minimum of tools required are easy to get here from hardware store and surplus catalogs, how ever driving wheels for steamers I need to find a local source or maybe scavenge them from basket case trains 24 Not sure I would want to place an international order by mail or even online. But I am enjoying the book and look forward to building some small S gauge locos some day.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 03-31-2015

AF350 Wrote:EZdays,

Do those cacti ever get infested with spiders? When I was a kid we had cactus planted around basement windows, they pretty much are still thriving here in Ohio. They bloom on occasion and have really short fine needles that are very painful and hard to remove...

Not really, I don't think any respectable spider would want to be out in the 110 degree heat. Most cacti here have needles. Some are soft, like a grandfather cactus we have, others are short or long but not fun to be stuck with. The worse one is a Cholla, or what we call a "jumping cactus". They have little balls about the size of a golf ball with needles with hooks on their ends. If you brush up against one, the ball breaks off and seems to jump, and the needles get embedded into you skin. Curse Very painful and very difficult to get the needles out because of the little hooks. Wallbang And yes, I've been there many times. 35

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 03-31-2015

AF350:
One of our club members scratch builds British in S scale. Right now he's building a pair of identical locos, which he says he never does, because he once bought 2 sets of name and number plates (not the same numbers).
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.s-scale.org.uk/gallery4.htm">http://www.s-scale.org.uk/gallery4.htm</a><!-- m -->
British S is one of the few scales where noone will say "My son bought one of those in plastic at the shop yesterday."

If you need translations, just ask me.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 04-01-2015

Good Morning Blue
Happy Friday the 13th to all.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 04-01-2015

sir james Wrote:Good Morning Blue
Happy Friday the 13th to all.
S.J.

Good morning everyone, and yes SJ, you're a bit late for that, but right on time for April Fool's Day. Eek So everyone, I'd advise caution as you go through your day so you don't wind up sitting on a whoopee cushion or have your GPS take you clean out of town rather than where you want to go... Crazy

Today, we're heading out to do some target shooting. It should be a bit cooler today, low 90's is the forecast after a few days of record highs. We'll see, but at least there won't be a bunch of strangers out there like there is on weekends. I believe that could be classified as stranger danger when you can't trust the people that are shooting next to you, so you do the smart thing and pack up and go home.....

Take care and stay safe and out of the cold....

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 04-01-2015

Morning. Sunny and warm. 1 1/2 + miles in. SJ has those memory problems. Lack of hair on his head. The cold air up there gets to his brain.

Still no word from Tom. Prayers.

Off to get an real haircut [SJ] and then a meeting this afternoon.

Later.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - mr bachmann - 04-01-2015

welcome to April every one , its wet and windy here ,
here's some news for BR 60103 , the Middlesbrough Transporter bridge is closed due to the high winds :wait:

Alan

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - faraway - 04-01-2015

mr bachmann Wrote:welcome to April every one , its wet and windy here ,
here's some news for BR 60103 , the Middlesbrough Transporter bridge is closed due to the high winds :wait:

Alan
I assumed they would continue the service but got a flight captain in command Wink

I do still enjoy my retirement. Work is slowing down a bit. I am retired. No more any reason to rush.
Weather is lousy. Cold, windy and some showers of snow...... We are preparing for a trip into the spring on the Canary Islands next week,

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 04-01-2015

BR60103 Wrote:AF350:
One of our club members scratch builds British in S scale. Right now he's building a pair of identical locos, which he says he never does, because he once bought 2 sets of name and number plates (not the same numbers).
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.s-scale.org.uk/gallery4.htm">http://www.s-scale.org.uk/gallery4.htm</a><!-- m -->
British S is one of the few scales where noone will say "My son bought one of those in plastic at the shop yesterday."

If you need translations, just ask me.

I looked at the site and several others linked to it, cool stuff. There must be a lot of war gamers over there as there were some odd sets of figures most notably 1920's gangsters and even some Doctor Who figures(one of my favorite sci-fi series)

Anyway I am about a third of the way threw the book, and I am building confidence that this is still doable. the wheels are going to have to be made or scavenged from otherwise junked equipment or from boxes of misc. parts at train shows. Here is a pic of the book that has the answers to my where do you start scratch building steam locomotives. and the second pic is a book that is a reproduction of an actual locomotive catalog for real railroads between the two books I should be able to build some interesting and unique models.

and here are a couple terms not sure about===1.)swarf = metal filling's? 2.)Wet and dry = maybe a type of sanding paper?

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 04-01-2015

AF
"swarf" is the stuff that comes off when you use a lathe -- very long, thin, curly strips of metal.
"wet and dry" is a type of sandpaper. I bought a package of it to make shingles, so it's available in Canada. I still have no idea when to use it wet and when dry.