The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6928)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - faraway - 07-30-2015

ngauger Wrote:Windows 10 works on my computer. ....I'm happy Big Grin Big Grin

There is little room for Windows 10 as we are a pure Apple household. But I own an old ASUS Eee PC 101D used for ZIMO and ESU decoder programming. Both have an old programming hardware to be attached via the serial port. A small device driver and hardware box links the serial port on USB at the little notebook. Not high tech and somewhat outdated but it works well there times a year.
Until Windows 10 got installed this morning..... the proprietary USB-serial port driver from Windows 7 is not any longer supported and both programmers do not find it's hardware box.
It was a risky session and it failed. There is no way back. The ASUS Eee had every thing on it's hard disk. No CD drive etc. nothing. The ASUS web site has also no drivers for the very old 101D model anymore.

Sometimes you win, sometimes you loose..... :o
May be there will be a Windows 10 USB/serial converter with device driver on the market in the future.

ps. While the PC is totally useless to me but Windows 10 looks nice to me.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 07-30-2015

Good Morning Blue
Sun and 80s today. A short but strong storm yesterday evening broke the 90s we have been having.
Back from a 4 day trip to upper Michigan. my old legs are a-hurtin.
Rest is on the menu for today.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 07-30-2015

Greetings, gang.

A beautiful day is underway here in the remote reaches of northern Iowa. Right now it's 79 degrees with moderate humidity. High for today is supposed to be in the mid 80s. More of the same is on tap for tomorrow.

Had a fairly quiet day yesterday and so far today is shaping up to be the same. After lunch I may work on getting the rest of the tree stump out of the back yard. Or I may sit on the front porch and read a book.

Reinhard - perhaps you could pick up an old computer somewhere such as a garage sale or Craig's List. My sister-in-law has an 8 year old computer that she uses to run her sewing machine. It's not even connected to the internet. When she needs a new pattern she uses a jump drive to transfer from more modern computers.

Mikey - I will let you play beta tester. I was the first kid on the block with new software once. Took 6 months to get the bugs worked out. I'll never do that again.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - faraway - 07-30-2015

FiatFan Wrote:....Reinhard - perhaps you could pick up an old computer somewhere such as a garage sale or Craig's List. My sister-in-law has an 8 year old computer that she uses to run her sewing machine. It's not even connected to the internet. When she needs a new pattern she uses a jump drive to transfer from more modern computers.....
The Eee was new when I bought it but is was the absolute lowest price net book I could find. I will see if I find another one. It should be a really small computer to be stored in a drawer 360 days of the year.

UPDATE: I searched everywhere and finally found another longtime unused USB/serial converter- Plugged it in and Windows 10 knew who that guy is and loaded a Microsoft owned driver Applause

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 07-30-2015

Congrats! Take the rest of the day off.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 07-30-2015

Good evening all.

Just read in MR that weaver trains are no more, they closed in June. Wonder who if anyone will pickup the tooling, their line of paint has been snapped up already.

Other than work have been dodging wet rainy days to get some yard work in. The other day was pretty hot and dry. We still have green grass here normally it starts to turn brown in the end of July start of August.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ngauger - 07-30-2015

FiatFan Wrote:Greetings, gang.

Mikey - I will let you play beta tester. I was the first kid on the block with new software once. Took 6 months to get the bugs worked out. I'll never do that again.

All stay safe.

Tom

After tweaking the system a bit.. a Very Little bit, i have lost nothing, all my files and passwords are intact and it's running smooth and fast!!! Big Grin

I'm surprised that it was so easy, because it "looked" too easy. I was waiting for Murphy to visit, but he didn't make it in time, I guess Smile Smile

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ngauger - 07-30-2015

Here's another one for the Darwin Award:

Man repeatedly jumps and rolls under a freight train;
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://globalnews.ca/news/2139939/man-recorded-jumping-rolling-under-moving-freight-train/">http://globalnews.ca/news/2139939/man-r ... ght-train/</a><!-- m -->

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 07-31-2015

Good Friday morning to everyone, hope this is the start of a great weekend for you all. None of that rain they forecast came about and they still show rain for the next seven days at least. Like I said, I'm taking these weather forecasts as opinions anymore.

Strange things happen. A few months ago when we thought we were going to sell our house, I had packed everything in my train room. When we changed our minds, we unpacked everything and I could not find any of those shaker bottles of scenery and ballast material, at least 15 to 20 of them. Well, yesterday we were getting the garage organized for a garage sale and I took down a box marked "speaker sets", where I KNEW that there were several computer speaker sets in it.... Nope Yeah, you guessed it, no speakers, just my lost shaker bottles of scenery materials. The moral of this story is to never skip over looking in a box, regardless of what the markings on it say. 35

Mikey, thanks for the update, I just got a note from Microsoft telling me to hang in there, it could be a few days or a few weeks before they send me Win10, but I'm guessing it'll be worth the wait. I have nothing against Win7, but I guess I'm tired of waiting an eternity for it to do some things, like booting up. Crazy

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 07-31-2015

Don
Some years ago, our nephew got a job assignment down south and for Xmas we got him a sign "Where is Winter?".
He never said anything about it and when we asked, he said "I already have an answering machine."
Yep, we'd packed it in a box that would fit, and he never got past the label on the outside.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 08-01-2015

Good morning all, a wet one here. It rained hard from mid-afternoon until evening. So much so that Channel 15 pre-empted their afternoon shows to have no less than four hours of continuous weather reports. I think I could have put the first ten minutes on a continuous loop and not missed a thing. The highlight of their reporting came when a field reporter spotted the electric company's trucks arriving to work on downed power lines. Wow, nothing more exciting than watching two trucks make their way past the camera, stop, then the guys getting out and walking over to survey the damage. They must have thought so since they played that over and over again. Wallbang

BR60103 Wrote:Don
Some years ago, our nephew got a job assignment down south and for Xmas we got him a sign "Where is Winter?".
He never said anything about it and when we asked, he said "I already have an answering machine."
Yep, we'd packed it in a box that would fit, and he never got past the label on the outside.
Yeah, it kind of gets me when on those "storage" programs on TV where they open a storage unit and they spot a printed box showing something very expensive inside, then when they get the bid and open the box, lo and behold, that's what's in it. In the real world though, there's probably something else in the box, that's how the real world works, not one set for a TV show. One other comment about that is most often, after going through the unit and finding little of value, they look behind something in the back of the unit and spot some high value item that needs to get appraised. Nope, I no longer view any of those shows, staged and phony through and through.... :wait: Shoot

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 08-01-2015

Morning. Not as hot and humid. May be taking a road trip to VA. Have a good one.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 08-01-2015

Greetings, gang.

Sunny 70 this morning with a predicted high in the upper 80s. Thunderstorms are 70% possible this afternoon and evening.

Got the yard mowed yesterday and that's about it. Only thing on the agenda for today is lunch with oldest grandson.

Don - it's kinda like knowing speakers are in that box. Big Grin

Frank - drive safe.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 08-01-2015

Good Morning Blue
Sun and 80s today.
A few errands this morning but no major plans for the day.
On the spot weather reports. The idiots that stand out in a hurricane should be arrested on the spot. How freaking stupid can people be.
Our local channels do the same thing with summer weather, coverage for hours. They start when the storm reaches the west side of the state and repeat, repeat, repeat.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 08-02-2015

Morning all. Never made VA yesterday. Babysitting screwed up plans and then MIL went of deep end [Alzheimer's]. May take trip today to pick up MIL who went with SIL. Wifey's been babysitting again. Wallbang Mom's that want to work all the time [and don't have too] should not have babies. Nope

Did get all the pond work done. Was actually a good day for that. Lower humidity. Same today.

Hope all have a great week ahead.