The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6928)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - TrainNut - 09-18-2016

ezdays Wrote:Good approach to your layout, where will it end up? Not another hole in the wall I'd assume though. 357
No, no, no... this ones not going to go through any walls. LOL. I've got a nice big room in the basement that it will go into...
[Image: IMG_1110_zpsarbjv0kt.jpg]
Todays progress... I finished all of the sub framing and am starting on the smaller pieces that will support the foam and the fascia.
[Image: IMG_1107_zpshdmcuoxo.jpg]
Can you mount switch machines to the bottom side of foam?... or do you have to have something harder like 1/8" plywood or soundboard?
I forgot to mention that all of the 2x4's were free. My boys school brought in a new modular for more classrooms and after they used the 2x4's to tie the two halves together during the installation/construction, they just threw them out in the grass. I asked what they were going to do with them and they told me they were going to throw them away! Can I have them? Yes, just get them out of here! Thus the birth of my new RR! Granted, they were full of nails... but after I pulled them all out, I had 32 fairly decent 2x4's... FREE!
I guess I need to start a layout thread...

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 09-18-2016

TrainNut: the best I can say about mounting switch machines under foam is that you may have to glue them in place. Screws will strip the foam with the slightest pressure. My practice is to use Homasote for roadbed and add foam at the side for scenery.

Right now I'm trying to re-install some Peco machines (and some Rix mounts) that were installed under the H. on my last layout. It's so far impossible to line the wire rod up with the hole in the tiebar -- I'll have to make an extension and then chop it off. Extra problem is that on this layout I'm using WS roadbed under the track and the rods need to be 3/16" longer.

Had the Platelayers over today. About a dozen (including wives) but appreciative comments about the layout progress. Anyone want to come over for leftover egg salad sandwiches?

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - mr bachmann - 09-19-2016

lots of rain this end , been food shopping , nice time of day kids nicely in school , roads quiet and supermarket empty , now its some TV and play trains after lunch .

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - rtraincollector - 09-19-2016

Morning all. Do well, the Dr's are getting ready to transfer me back to the V.A. Hospital across the street. Thumbsup That's a real good thing. There they will set up a home nurse for me. 3 times first week, 2 second, and then 1 the last week. She will bring me my antibiotic that I need to take via a I.V.
for a total of 6 weeks from the time of the operation.
No real train news to speak of. Hope to get back to that when I get home. First thing I need to do some work on the room.
I'm planning on taking a belt and a corner sander to the floor that some one painted the out side foot and a half. You can see they didn't even pick up there carpet to do so lol. Wallbang
Talk to you all later, thanks for the best wishes

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Mike Kieran - 09-19-2016

Where are you at? Shaw AFB?

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - rtraincollector - 09-19-2016

If you mean me, The VA in Augusta,GA

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 09-20-2016

Morning. Cloudy. Hope more rain today. Gas shortage is a mess. Crazy. I see RT the Carpetbagger is doing a lot better. That is good. Going to have crazy busy next few days. Babysitting daughter's kids [dogs and cat]. SIL's brother killed in motorcycle accident. They are going to funeral and etc.

Have a good one.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 09-21-2016

Where is everyone? Raining here [much needed]. Busy town stuff today. Have a good one.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - AF350 - 09-21-2016

Afternoon all,

Ran some errands this morning and put some trucks(MTH) on 3 Ye Ole Huff n Puff flat car kits. Just need loads and minor underside details(bare minimum). One more to add trucks to and then that will probably complete that project, undecided as to what to letter them with yet maybe D.O.D with tank loads of BFT with various types of loads or no loads like misc chains , chocks and derbies from former loads. One errand took me to Dollar Tree where I found some neat small figures(Halloween themed) three per package for a $1.00. I got the mad scientist with beakers in hands, another mad scientist(female) with brain in hand, and a hunchbacked lab assistant. There were various monsters and gargoyles in the line up. I bought one pack to check for overall size they are about right height but a bit on fat side but look as good as any thing else not intended for trains. May go back and get a few more train The brand is Tombstone Corners . Now I have an excuse to get a Halloween train Icon_lol

Weather here warm but humid and in some parts of the area was foggy this morning.

Not much else new here.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 09-21-2016

Chief Eagles Wrote:Where is everyone? Raining here [much needed]. Busy town stuff today. Have a good one.

Been here trying to stem the flow of spammers. So far today, we've had 14 of them register. Kind of keeps one busy, but we've made another change to make it harder for spambots to register. Let's hope this works....

Rain? oh, we've had a little the past few days, but not too much more than a sprinkle. So far this year Phoenix is sitting at just over 5" of rain, about an 1 1/2" below normal.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 09-22-2016

A-a-and I'm back!

Greetings, gang.

Rain, thunder, lightning, and 64 in the remote reaches of northern Iowa this morning. High for today is supposed to be about 80. Much cooler than yesterday's high of 93.

Monday morning I drove to Duluth, Mn, as a trial trip for myself. Learning how to be single again. Had a great time! Probably walked close to 10 miles while I was there. Toured a ship, the maritime museum, Lake Superior Railroad Museum, downtown Duluth, and drove along the north shore of Lake Superior where I saw a Yellowstone in Two Harbors. Highlight of the LSRM was spotting what appeared to be an EMD Model 40, one of my favorite engines.

Nothing on the agenda for today other than rest and beer and bereavement this afternoon.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - mr bachmann - 09-22-2016

summers day here , had the car out this morning , run great , better once the brakes get 'bedded' in and adjusted , slight 4 stroking will need the carb mixture adjusting , as I've changed from SAE 30 to self mixing oil due to rising costs .
have a great day all .

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 09-22-2016

Village railroad club met tonight. I did a show and tell on couplers. I had sheets showing items from the Baker to the early Kadee MKD series (delayed! uncoupling).
Included were Roundhouse, some odd radial couplings, and Kadee K-5 and K-10, and a Mantua on a truck. I also mounted a Devore ramp on a piece of Tru-Scale self-gauging roadbed.
I googled Baker couplings and, other than plumbing joints, I found an old thread on the old gauge with DrWayne and me contributing,

I also took a picture -- the demise of TTC PCC 4036 -- the first PCC to be scrapped.

(4036 derailed into the wall of Lansdowne carhouse.)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 09-24-2016

Greetings, gang.

Sunny and dry this morning. Temperature is 70 with a guesstimated high of about 80. Rain moves in again tonight with another 1-2 inches predicted by the time it's all over tomorrow. On top of the 2 inches we've had since Thursday morning there will be some minor local flooding. More severe flooding is occurring to the north and east of me. Some places got as much as a foot of rain.

On tap for today is maybe getting the energy to start cleaning up some leaves in the yard. It's that time of year again. This evening will be college football.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - MountainMan - 09-24-2016

Just finished remodeling our kitchen with a lot of tile work and fancy stuff. "Resting" today by hosting a barbecue for my brother-in-law's birthday, and then I'll begin to remodel/repaint/refloor the den. Nope

The better news is that I am finally getting free to start building my layout in the spare room! Waveof7