The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6928)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 01-31-2017

Good morning, and a nice one too. Yesterday was about 10 degrees over the average and not a cloud in the sky. It got up to 76 in most of the valley and more today. Morning temps are still a bit chilly in the 40's though. I'm OK with that. No noticeable change in the crowds with the Phoenix Open starting, those people tend to hang out around the Scottsdale area anyway. In another few weeks though, we're talking spring training and then those folks will be all over the place. We have the Royals and the Rangers playing here is Surprise, and yeah, traffic gets a bit heavy around game time. We drive by the stadium frequently, and I'm surprised at the number of people standing on the sidewalk looking over the fence to watch either team on one of the practice fields. They started selling tickets to the Cubs games a few weeks ago and I guess they sold out kind of quickly. That happens when you win the Worlds Series. Anyway, sporting events seem to bring in a lot of people and some big bucks around this time of the year.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 01-31-2017

Morning all. Sunny and 50 degrees. Was 28 when I went to bed. Temps actually rose over night. Mid 60's today and tomorrow. Errands today and then dinner play at one of the elementary schools tonight. Off down east tomorrow to do some barn maintenance. Then do battery/timer removal from feeders and get stands "closed down".

Prayers for Tom and DAZ. Hope all are OK.

Later.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ngauger - 01-31-2017

Interesting day weather wise yesterday... started off cloudy, then in the afternoon, it got darker and a few snow squalls came through. Downpours of snow that left about an inch of snow in about 30 minutes. Then the sky cleared and the sun came out. All within the hour.

Last night was clear and cold and today is sunny and clear in the 40's

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 02-01-2017

Greetings, gang.

It's partly cloudy and 28 degrees this morning in NE Iowa.

I'm sitting in the car dealer waiting room while some work is performed on my car (recall, new belts and fluids, etc.) Not much else going on.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 02-01-2017

Good morning all, another cool and breezy morning, but we're headed into the high 70's again today. Just great for all those folks roaming around the golf courses, and those that are just wondering aimlessly around the Phoenix Open looking to see someone famous.That shouldn't be too hard, lots of them out there from football players to movie stars, oh yeah, and even some famous golfers. I think we'll stay home again this year. Cheers

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 02-01-2017

ezdays Wrote:Good morning all, another cool and breezy morning, but we're headed into the high 70's again today. Just great for all those folks roaming around the golf courses, and those that are just wondering aimlessly around the Phoenix Open looking to see someone famous.That shouldn't be too hard, lots of them out there from football players to movie stars, oh yeah, and even some famous golfers. I think we'll stay home again this year. Cheers
Anybody I might recognize -- famous model railroaders? (I don't recognize faces that well, anyways.)

The Arboretum model railroaders set up our display for the month in the center. We measured 3 display cabinets, then when we sat down down to allocate, found there were now only 2. We managed to get everyone in, although I had to provide a spare glass shelf for the OO section. Scales from Z to G. We also have a wall of photographs.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 02-01-2017

Hello Blue
Some lite snow the last couple mornings, no biggie, pavements are clean and dry.
Some toy train activities coming up the next 2 weekends. Nothing new right now though.
S,J,

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 02-02-2017

BR60103 Wrote:Anybody I might recognize -- famous model railroaders? (I don't recognize faces that well, anyways.)...

They were rattling off a bunch of names on TV last night, but most of them were famous sports people of one sort or the other, many of the names I didn't recognize either. When they used to do the pro-am, a whole lot of Hollywood folks would show up for the cameras but I guess they're not into golf anymore.

All of the famous model railroaders are all going to be in downtown Phoenix this weekend. The World's Greatest Hobby show will be at the Phoenix Convention Center on the 4th and 5th. I was hoping to go, but I just can't make it. I got really lucky last weekend and was able to go target shooting for a few hours. Those breaks are few and far between.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - tompm - 02-02-2017

Good afternoon folks

I know it has been quite a while since I popped up in these parts. Life has been slowing down and allowing more free time so that I can get back to some of the simple pleasures I enjoy. I have discovered that I still have a workbench and 80% of my tools are still there. I found that all my paints are dried up and the brushes that were not “borrowed” by other family members are stiff and now only useful for dry brushing. I will get into details of the resurrection of my modeling space as it progresses.

It will probably take several posts to tell the tales of what caused the big interruption of my modeling time. I can quickly sum it up as kids, college, pets, home, and health. The biggest time eater was the kids and the college search. Luckily both kids did extremely well academically. They both graduated in the top 10% of their high school classes. Considering that their high school is now has the highest enrollment in Pennsylvania (over 4000) that was an accomplishment. My daughter graduated with 845 and my son with over 900. A side note: Both of their graduation ceremonies were held at the Tower Theater in Upper Darby. This is the same Tower Theater that I saw many of rock shows such as Jethro Tull. David Bowie even recorded a live album there called “Live at the Tower Theater.”

Now my daughter kicked off the odyssey and sent it down its twisting path first when she decided that she wanted to play volleyball in college. At that moment my modeling time was doomed. Quickly she decided Division 1 was not for her as she wanted to be a student athlete not the other way around. The Division 2 schools locally were a quick turnoff as most them were either concerned about football or basketball and women’s volleyball was only offered to help the schools meet Title IX compliance. That left Division 3. In Division 3 there are no athletic scholarships and you get in based on your academics. So toward the end of her sophomore year the contacting of coaches and colleges began. At first it was slow and one sided. As she progressed through junior year the pace began to pick up. Coaches and Admissions Councilors took notice of her grades. At Division 3 if you are a good player and have high grades you are gold. Some Division 2 schools and a couple of Division 1 schools even jumped into the mix. I became a full time recruiting coordinator and scheduler. Junior year was spent playing high school and club volleyball and visiting campuses and meeting coaches. We scheduled our vacation around recruiting. Once trip involved traveling to New England and visiting 6 schools and doing the normal tourist things. We traveled from New England to Virginia and western Pennsylvania and New York. By the beginning of senior year it was becoming a little overwhelming. Coaches calling almost every night. Emails from Coaches, and Admissions coming constantly. Finally she began applying to schools. Again being a Division 3 recruit meant doing more than the norm. She applied to 14 schools and accepted to all. After the initial merit scholarship offers she narrowed it down to 2 local schools, 3 in north Jersey, 1 in Vermont, and 1 in New York State. Next came the overnights. However, she only got to do one because after that one the Offer came. She did the one overnight and really liked the school and the volleyball team. While she was arranging the next two overnights (one involving a train trip to Vermont) the school she overnighted at came back with their merit scholarship package. She was accepted into the not only the school but the Honors Program as well. This meant 100% tuition, room and board. Search done. She is now in her junior year, 5 times Dean’s List, Setter for the volleyball team, and also a member of the school’s NCAA Women’s Bowling team. She traveled to Berlin as part of the Honors Program (no additional costs), and will be going to Peru this year. She was sports editor for the school newspaper for two years. As a setter she is currently ranked 4th in career assists for the school. She needs 845 assists to become the all-time leader. Since freshman year she played in every match except for 4 this season she missed due to a concussion.

I think that is enough for now. Next time it will be just when you think you get your free time back or “I am not going to play sports in college. On second thought maybe playing Men’s Tennis might be cool.”

I hope everybody has a good day.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 02-02-2017

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 19 this evening in the remote reaches of northern Iowa. Cool again tomorrow and then 39 by Saturday.

Wow, Tom! Very interesting read. Glad to hear your daughter is doing so well and looking forward the the next installment!

Took my car to the dealer yesterday for some recalls and and some 100K routine maintenance (timing belt (rubber? who does that?), serpentine belt, etc.) By the time they finished it was 4 figures. At least they washed the car when they were done.

Quiet day today. Nothing major planned for tomorrow either other than a trip to the gym.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 02-03-2017

Rainy chilly morning here.  Hope all OK.  Busy busy days.  Did get to go to the farms Wed. and repair shelters.  Coat the old bulk barn [our storage building] with sealer on top.  Got feeder timers and baskets down and stored.  Recharge batteries and store.

Have a good one. 

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - faraway - 02-03-2017

We had another trip to the carpenter fixing some issues with the kitchen and did all the detail of my wife's room. Well, all means all we knew at that time. In the meantime requested my wife for the drawings of the cabinets and we have on Monday another meeting about "all" details.
The plumber is next to the carpenter and we checked the heating control again. Plumbers have a lot of bathroom equipment and my lovely wife thinks the shower should be redone too. There will be another date with the bathroom guy to talk about a refresh of the shower.

Did I mention all work will be completed 1. June... 357

All that action had been on hold yesterday. My lady had birthday and we made a trip to the small town of Nagold with a nice old city center and had lunch and some cake at 3pm. The temperature of 53° was no bad but all cloudy and unfriendly weather. I had hoped for more sun for her.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 02-04-2017

Greetings, gang.

Cloudy and 23 headed for 38 this afternoon.

it's been quiet around here for the last few weeks. My phone went for 4 days without ringing. I did make it to the gym for four out of five days this week. Spent the fifth day at the car dealer. Yesterday was an exciting day of getting caught up on laundry. This morning's project is a run to the grocery store followed by.... nothing.

Reinhard - a belated happy birthday to your lady and best of luck on your remodel.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ngauger - 02-04-2017

Wow Tom that's great for your daughter and your family! Glad to see that you might get some of your model railroading time back.

Reinhard - any construction is always unnerving, but the end outweigh the means. Big Grin

Glad to hear that everyone else here is doing well.

Cold today and the last few days.... wind won't give up even for a minute. Waiting for tomorrow, when it'll be in the 40's for a few days.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 02-04-2017

ngauger Wrote:...Cold today and the last few days.... wind won't give up even for a minute. Waiting for tomorrow, when it'll be in the 40's for a few days.

Are you saying that it's warming UP to 40? Sorry, not to brag or anything, but we've been in the 70's all week and I saw a couple of days for next week in the 80's. Check the Phoenix Open on TV, people walking around in their shirtsleeves, about 165,000 of them yesterday. To be fair though, we did get DOWN into to 40's for a few day before the sun came up. Big Grin