The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Printable Version

+- (https://bigbluetrains.com)
+-- Forum: The Depot (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=3)
+--- Forum: Hobo's Camp (https://bigbluetrains.com/forumdisplay.php?fid=39)
+--- Thread: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! (/showthread.php?tid=6928)

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 02-10-2017

Hello Blue
Cloudy and 40 for the day.
The snow storm stayed below lower Michigan so we free of snow, for now.
Our club meet tomorrow and a small show on Sunday, that's my toy train news.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 02-11-2017

Greetings, gang.

37 and cloudy this morning. Hit 52 yesterday but not quite as warm today, only in the mid 40s but still very mild for February.

Not much going on at the headquarters of the Backyard & Southern Railway. Headed to the car dealer on Monday for a recall. Supposed to take about a half hour. Three hour round trip but restaurants and shopping that are not available here make the trip worthwhile.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 02-11-2017

Morning. Cooked breakfast. Watched DVR'd shows. 62 degrees out. Tomorrow suppose to be record 78 degrees. Have a good one.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 02-11-2017

For some reason, those weather people on TV got it all wrong. Oh gee, not again... Temps not in the low 70's, rain nowhere in sight, just a real nice day out....

Somehow, sports really dictate a lot of how people live. I'm not just talking about the fan that goes to every game or drives around with their team logo pasted all over their car, but I'm talking people who don't even follow or care for sports. What am I talking about? Well, the Bell Road overpass here in Surprise was scheduled to start the day after Spring Training ended last year. And even though the dropped that 95' beam on the railroad tracks a while back, that didn't slow them down. Nope, the bridge and all ramps are scheduled to be completely opened by next week, just before the start of Spring Training this year. There are other street projects that were started about the same time, but aren't close to being finished, but since Surprise has a Spring Training facility about a mile from thee new overpass, sporting events are what determined the construction schedule.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - faraway - 02-11-2017

My wife and I are struggling with the oven configuration in the new kitchen.
The ovens get more and more sophisticated but the operating panel does not respect any old habits. We want two knobs to grab and turn. The left one for main function selection and the right one for time, temperature etc. Other less basic functions my be distributed over the panel.
That is no problem as long s you stay with basic units with a limited functionality. All ovens with more functions are operated more like an iPhone and you can get lost in 10 level deep menus. I do not like that but it is absolute no go for my wife.
The last disappointing experience about 6pm today:
My wife selected an oven with steam and two knobs to operate. We found out the oven is limited to hot air but has no basic oven function to heat from top and/or bottom. The next more expensive oven has that function too. Ok, but wait. That one has the iPhone like panel only. No knobs to turn. Just tap and slide. That's it we are stuck again.
The microwave with grill and oven has the same problem. The oven lacks the same functionality or you accept an iPhone like panel.
We are frustrated and upset. Those "iPhone with attached oven" are extreme expensive but have a lousy human interface.

ps. Reading about some real problems you talk about here I know our problem is as tiny as it could be. I wish those of you in real trouble all the best!

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 02-11-2017

Reinhard
We had a stove 20 years ago with a timer. After the timer was used, the stove would keep the oven warm, a bit under 100 C. The next time you used it, it would cook at that temperature unless you "neutralized the timer" as my wife said.

I think a lot of it is technicians seeing how many functions they can put on one button.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 02-11-2017

Wifey got a new natural gas range a year ago. You touch bake and set the temp by touching in the temp. Then touch start. When it finishes preheating, it plays a tune and the oven light flashes for about 30 seconds. Cooks fast. Finished, touch stop. Has convection feature too. To broil, you touch broil and start. Pretty neat.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 02-12-2017

We have an electric stove in the house we moved into a year ago that beeps when the timer goes off. The problem is that it only beeps a few times, and you have to be within a few feet of the stove to hear it. It's a wonderful stove if you like overcooked or unevenly cooked food and like to spend a lot of time pushing the wrong buttons to try to get the settings you want. I'd yank it out in a heartbeat and put in a simple gas one if we planned on staying here, but we don't, so that just gives us one more excuse to eat out a lot... Yes, these appliances now days are really over-engineered. I don't need a refrigerator to call my cell phone to let us know that we're out of milk, or a stove with a screen that shows me how to prepare some exotic dish that I have none of the ingredients for, and wouldn't eat if I could make it.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 02-12-2017

Greetings, gang.

Sunny and 34 this morning with a predicted high in the low 40s, well above normal for this time of year.

Not much to report. It's been really blah around here lately.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - sir james - 02-13-2017

Hello Blue
Sunny and 40s today, not a topical Michigan February at all.
Club meet on Saturday night. Well attended. Video is on OGR.
S.J.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - faraway - 02-13-2017

We have made up our minds and decided (finally?) on the ovens. That required another trip to a huge furniture store with a large kitchen department to give my wife a chance to actually play hands on with her choice. She is happy now and I hope that topic is closed.
We expect the shower man tomorrow after lunch. That is the first step to get the shower done too. The kitchen man and the carpenter for my wife's room will be here on Wednesday to get the final drawings and close that two main topics too hopeful.
The selected painter needs to be replaced. That nice young lady has decided to become a painter mommy... No way to have her working on a ladder with all the fumes of paint. We have to talk to her boss to get a replacement right now in the planning phase into the project. The tasks have strong interlock and need to be planned together.
Complete open are the movers and cleaners. The condo needs to be almost complete empty for most tasks and everything must be brought back. The empty condo must be professional cleaned too. Especially the wooden floor needs a good treatment.
.... and my wife is happy ......

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - Chief Eagles - 02-14-2017

Morning crew. 41 degrees. Mid 50's today.

Off to the Legislature. Got meeting with State Senator and buddy about local legislation for Town.

Wiley the Yorkie is at vet to see if he has elongated pallet. ???

Happy Valentines Day to all.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - FiatFan - 02-14-2017

faraway Wrote:.... and my wife is happy ......
That's the only thing that matters.

Greetings, gang.

Sunny and 32 this morning in the remote reaches of northern Iowa. High for today is supposed to be about 43. 40 for tomorrow and then 50s for the remainder of the week. 2285_ 2285_ 2285_ Applause Applause Applause

Took my car to the dealer for a recall repair yesterday and then did some shopping. Got 100% of my list accomplished. Also tried a new restaurant. It was ok. On tap for today is a trip to the gym.

All stay safe.

Tom

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - ezdays - 02-14-2017

Good morning and a happy Valentine Day to all. Nothing special here, we haven't exchanged cards or given candy or flowers to each other in a long time. To us, every day is Valentine Day and we act accordingly.

No rain, but there's a few storms heading from California later this week, a good chance of rain over the weekend for us. A bit chilly in the AM, but nice by the afternoon. Today we do some weed pulling in the backyard. We've kept the front fairly clean with weed spray, but left to back go. I bought a weeder yesterday, no bending just push it in, twist, pull the weed out and eject it into the garbage can... Not really a fun thing regardless, but a lot easier than bending down or crawling around on our knees.

Re: The Hobo Camp Fire Is going well #VII.. Stop In!!! - BR60103 - 02-14-2017

I found out yesterday that we're not exchanging on Valentine's Day anymore. It was always difficult to find a card that she could show to her mother. (No longer a problem, unfortunately)

Trying to revamp some trees as cat gets up and uproots them or knocks the foam lumps off. I'm trying adding "fine turf" to the foam. Spray alcohol, scenic cement, turf, more alcohol and cement then final turf. I'm having problems with the sprayers. And when I ran out of S C, I bought acryllic matt medium, and diluted it. Looked good, but it came out of the sprayer in a solid stream rather than spreading out.